what is your best remedy for ocean motion?

Imagineer

Have used "Patches"behind the ear. However, these require a prescription in CA. and believe are more expensive than some other remedies. Put one behind ear before boarding.

Scopalamine patches make me extremely loopy and gives me the worst case of dry mouth ever. Just make sure you don't rub your eyes after handling/touching them......

Bonine, aka Meclizine, is an anti-emetic that will help after you already have the effects of motion sickness. It will make you less drowsy than Dramamine, which is in essence, Benadryl.....

Unfortunately Bonine doesn't work for me.

I took it on our first Bermuda cruise because one of my sisters who is a registered nurse swore by it. Started one day before sailing and continued taken it each day.

I spent the entire 2+ sea days from Boston to Bermuda sick in bed. If the doc on board could have given me a shot to kill me I would have taken it, that's how sick I was. Wasn't fun especially because we had our two kids ages 7 & 8 with us on that cruise.

Dramamine helps me but even the non-drowsy or less drowsy makes me sleep all day. I don't want to spend my sea days sleeping.

Believe me when someone has suffered from motion sickness their entire life like me...we've tried it all. Ginger, Bonine, Dramamine, crackers, green apples....you name it I've tried it.

Thank goodness I've found Motioneaze because I wasn't ready to give up cruising, flying etc. It's all natural, it's topical and I have no side effects at all from it.

Everyone has to find what works for them because every situation is different.

.....a proprietary Botanical Oil Blend [Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh and Ylang-Ylang].

In the Neptune suite on our last cruise they had a small tube of Elemis Quiet Mind "temple rub" ointment that contained eucalyptus, camphor, mint, patchouli, and citrus oils --meant to soothe. I wonder if it was meant to be like Motioneaze'?

Very interesting. Maybe. Essential oils can be very beneficial for some people.

Unfortunately Bonine doesn't work for me.

I took it on our first Bermuda cruise because one of my sisters who is a registered nurse swore by it. Started one day before sailing and continued taken it each day.

I spent the entire 2+ sea days from Boston to Bermuda sick in bed. If the doc on board could have given me a shot to kill me I would have taken it, that's how sick I was. Wasn't fun especially because we had our two kids ages 7 & 8 with us on that cruise.

Dramamine helps me but even the non-drowsy or less drowsy makes me sleep all day. I don't want to spend my sea days sleeping.

Believe me when someone has suffered from motion sickness their entire life like me...we've tried it all. Ginger, Bonine, Dramamine, crackers, green apples....you name it I've tried it.

Thank goodness I've found Motioneaze because I wasn't ready to give up cruising, flying etc. It's all natural, it's topical and I have no side effects at all from it.

Everyone has to find what works for them because every situation is different.

I totally understand! I am also extremely prone to motion sickness - so much so that I cannot go on rides without taking Meclizine. Just surprised about the Less Drowsy Dramamine as it is 25mg of Meclizine Hydrochloride - the same as Bonine.

But like you said - everyone is different

Thankfully Bonine or meclizine works for me; I tried Motion Ease - a drop behind each ear - but found it gave me the worst taste in my mouth, especially if I used it before bed. Everybody's different, I guess.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Another Islander here! I do agree that Bonine (meclizine) is excellent. It seems to have the least number of side effects for us. Pharmasave (or a compounding pharmacy) will make these individually for you - but at around $1. per pill, I found that steep. Best bet is to look for it in the U.S. before you embark. Last trip, an American friend on our Roll Call brought some for us and delivered them at our Meet and Greet. Hope you have smooth sailing!

Another Islander here! I do agree that Bonine (meclizine) is excellent. It seems to have the least number of side effects for us. Pharmasave (or a compounding pharmacy) will make these individually for you - but at around $1. per pill, I found that steep. Best bet is to look for it in the U.S. before you embark. Last trip, an American friend on our Roll Call brought some for us and delivered them at our Meet and Greet. Hope you have smooth sailing!

I can get bottles of 100 count for less than $5 at the pharmacists - even cheaper at Costco

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can get bottles of 100 count for less than $5 at the pharmacists - even cheaper at Costco

I know, it really isn't fair;). It is also really inexpensively priced at Walmart (USA), not Canada. I never thought to check at our Costco, but I don't think they do any "making" there - seems to be just dispensing.

In Canada, there is gravol ( I don't get too drowsy if I only take one ).

Gravel brand also sells an all natural ginger pill that I think works well.

Also you can buy patches that you stick behind your ears. The active ingredient is scopolamine. These are sold in pharmacies behind the counter in Canada - I believe you need a prescription in the US.

In Canada, there is gravol ( I don't get too drowsy if I only take one ).

I swear by Canadian Gravol. Have tried the anti-nausea meds in the US and I get terrible side-effects.

I accidentally discovered the "start-taking-it-before-you-cruise" benefits that someone mentioned earlier in the thread. I had just recovered from some sort of plague prior to a Christmas cruise so I was still taking minimal amounts of Gravol. We were crossing the dreaded Bay of Biscay with waves greater than 30', and I was fit as a fiddle! It was pretty awesome to be wandering around a ship that felt like the Marie Celeste.

There's also probably something to the apple theory. The first 3 months I was pregnant with my first child I could keep nothing except red apples down. I apologize if that is TMI. lol

Looks like Gravol is Dramamine combined with a stimulant - online description of it.

Gravol is the exact same thing as Dramamine - both have theophylline to counteract drowsiness

And have no idea why meclizine (Bonamine or Antivert) is not longer sold in Canada. Heard it was off the shelves around 7-8 years ago but can't seem to find a reason why.......

Gravol is the exact same thing as Dramamine - both have theophylline to counteract drowsiness

And have no idea why meclizine (Bonamine or Antivert) is not longer sold in Canada. Heard it was off the shelves around 7-8 years ago but can't seem to find a reason why.......

There is also something people have recommended called Sturgeron, sold mainly in Australia (?) which is a different ingredient but offers pretty much the same properties as Bonine and Dramamine. A quick scan on the net made it sound like one could still buy generic "Bonine" OTC in Canada, but not by brand name, esp Antivert - did that have an additional ingredient? Maybe that is now dated information.

I used to have a chewable meclizine. It was like a gummy tablet. Great for biting off a small amount if a whole dose was too much, and it didn't require drinking a lot of water (I don't take pills easily). I can't remember where I found them, maybe in England before a transatlantic. Has anyone else seen those?

I used to have a chewable meclizine. It was like a gummy tablet. Great for biting off a small amount if a whole dose was too much, and it didn't require drinking a lot of water (I don't take pills easily). I can't remember where I found them, maybe in England before a transatlantic. Has anyone else seen those?

Amazon has chewable meclizine available - with a five star rating from those who purchased it. Looks like CVS might have it too.

A quick scan on the net made it sound like one could still buy generic "Bonine" OTC in Canada, but not by brand name, esp Antivert - did that have an additional ingredient? Maybe that is now dated information.

Bonine has not been available in Canada for a number of years. Those of us who use meclizine purchase it when we across the border. Here's what it says on the Health Canada site: Meclizine is no longer being manufactured for sale in Canada and is no longer available under any brand names.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I get motion sickness and even have a hard time if I am not facing the way the vehicle, train, ship is moving. I use the "patch" and love it! Fortunately I do not suffer any side effects from it. There has been the odd time when I have felt a bit queasy so I have taken the ``non-drowsy gravol`` and that stops it. I don`t like the taste of ginger so that is out for me. Walmart always has boxes of the patch on-hand behind the counter and is cheaper than the SuperStore.

Fresh Pickled Ginger. The type they serve with Sushi. Sometime the lido deck has some available. This works really well. On our cruise to Antarctica in 2013 we were in the Neptune suites and we ran into really bad weather (worse every). The hostess in the Neptune lounge knew I was not feeling well and sent us the pickled ginger. You really need to only a few pieces. You can always eat it without something else if you don't like the full flavor. But it works wonders.