Do P&O Take Their Passenger Loyalty For Granted?

megacruiser

Just for interest how many of us would pay an extra 25% to get P&O back to where they perceive it was 15 years ago. Probably a bit more 'stuffy'. Better food. Or actually, despite any misgivings, are we basically happy with the product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't compared with fifteen years ago, since my first cruise was in 2010. I haven't noticed much difference since then. I hardly ever use the buffet (buffets have never appealed to me), which may be a factor.

On the subject of with this "unbundling" business model in offering basic fares low, you also attract lower grades of society, ie social grade D and E . Has anyone noticed that the passenger profile of P&O has gone down market somewhat lately? Still, nothing wrong with that, I suppose, as everyone should be welcome

I just wondered if P&O is secretly targeting the lower social market with lower fares, and thus providing cheaper foods with cooking that is not so refined? And as standards fall, your cruise may not be as luxury as you'd expect or experienced in the past. This is where I may have issue with. P&O ads seem still to portray themselves as a kind of "luxury" cruise but they seem to be chipping off the level of luxury so much some passengers are beginning to get dissatisfied.

P&O ought to come out clean and say they are a "low cost" cruise ship, and no more a luxury cruise company. Or they go the other way, raise their prices and raise/maintain their standard especially the standard of their catering. They cannot have the cake and eat it.

Please do not shoot me for bringing this up, this is just an observation. It is just for discussion and you could completely disagree with my observation. That's your prerogative!

Sorry but I have just read this and I find it totally offensive. What on earth has someone's social standing go to do with weather they cruise and how they like their food.

Appalling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Who do you consider is in 'social grade D & E'? Could you perhaps give an example of how the passenger profile of P&O has gone down market?
Hi,if you look at the posters location "the moon".That probably explains a few points lol,cheers,Brian.

Sorry but I have just read this and I find it totally offensive. What on earth has someone's social standing go to do with weather they cruise and how they like their food.

Appalling.

I think that's twice we've agreed on something :). But perhaps this now shows why many people, including myself, who find snobbery still an issue on some cruise lines, and unfortunately it still appears prevalent on some of the 'British' lines such as P&O, Cunard and Fred Olsen.

Just for interest how many of us would pay an extra 25% to get P&O back to where they perceive it was 15 years ago. Probably a bit more 'stuffy'. Better food. Or actually, despite any misgivings, are we basically happy with the product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobody

They are already having to find 20% more sterling revenue to compensate for the pounds value against the dollar falling so they can't use any of that to provide us with prawns and the occasional olive or anchovy.

Nobody

They are already having to find 20% more sterling revenue to compensate for the pounds value against the dollar falling so they can't use any of that to provide us with prawns and the occasional olive or anchovy.

I always have my Olives if I have a Martini. :)

We first cruised with P&O in 2000 and done many cruises with them since and seen a steady decline in standards and quality of food and entertainment. Even though admittedly P&O is in comparison a lot cheaper today than it was in 2000 taken into the effects of inflation I would be very happy to pay the price we were paying in 2000 £100pppn for an inside cabin if the standard of food and offerings with regards to chocaholic buffet and neptunes buffet etc improved to the standards it was then. Unfortunately due to this decline we now no longer cruise with P&O and much prefer Princess and Cunard.

Who do you consider is in 'social grade D & E'? Could you perhaps give an example of how the passenger profile of P&O has gone down market?

You are trying to put me down a slippery slope, aren't you?

I could give examples but i think that could just open a can of worms and it could lead into all sorts of arguments and disagreements - something which would be quite unhealthy for a discussion board like this, and which I would try to avoid.

My observation was my observation and it could be wrong. If you do not agree from what you see during your cruises, that's fine by me.

Edited by Cahpek

Hi,if you look at the posters location "the moon".That probably explains a few points lol,cheers,Brian.

You are probably right Brian.....Hellooooo....is there anyone there on Planet Earth???!!!! Lol.

We first cruised with P&O in 2000 and done many cruises with them since and seen a steady decline in standards and quality of food and entertainment. Even though admittedly P&O is in comparison a lot cheaper today than it was in 2000 taken into the effects of inflation I would be very happy to pay the price we were paying in 2000 £100pppn for an inside cabin if the standard of food and offerings with regards to chocaholic buffet and neptunes buffet etc improved to the standards it was then. Unfortunately due to this decline we now no longer cruise with P&O and much prefer Princess and Cunard.

Quite right. Go with princess, only have a look at CC first as I noticed they were getting big licks for their buffet as well.

You are trying to put me down a slippery slope, aren't you?

I could give examples but i think that could just open a can of worms and it could lead into all sorts of arguments and disagreements - something which would be quite unhealthy for a discussion board like this, and which I would try to avoid.

My observation was my observation and it could be wrong. If you do not agree from what you see during your cruises, that's fine by me.

I think you are trying to be diplomatic but my original thought was that because of all the free and cheap unlimited drinks packages,and free food you might attract the Magaluf,Benidorm,Ibiza crowd was who you were meaning.

I'm sure they are generally nice people but not your normal cruise crowd.

43 cruises and counting.

I think you are trying to be diplomatic but my original thought was that because of all the free and cheap unlimited drinks packages,and free food you might attract the Magaluf,Benidorm,Ibiza crowd was who you were meaning.

43 cruises and counting.

No he was going for appalling and succeeded

I believe everyone is equal and nice people until they prove otherwise.

43 cruises and counting.

You read his first post on this subject?

That was the proof you needed.

You read his first post on this subject?

That was the proof you needed.

Got to agree with you no-one should be talked about in a derogatory manner.

43 cruises and counting.

43 cruises and counting.

Hahaha.....my lips are sealed!

Just a hint....It did occur to me that the buffet on the ship reminded me a bit of a buffet in a 3-stars Spanish hotel!

As for the crowds, you take your pick !!! All I can say is they were nice people.

By the way, someone accused me of being snobbish (In my initial post, I even "begged" for people not to shoot me, but this person could not resist it, what a nice person, I must shake her/his hand !). H'mmm, I wonder if that comedy show "Benidorm" on telly were produced by" snobbish" people too ? After all, they made fun of the behaviour of "typical" visiting Brits of a "certain class" to Benidorm, didn't they????!!!

I do believe most Brits have a sense of humour, and not get too uptight nor getting upset easily, which is probably one of our best traits!

(But then, if you look at my location, I am supposed to live on the Moon, and there, we do not know the meaning of snobbery! Green cheese, anybody? Lol.)

Edited by Cahpek

Hahaha.....my lips are sealed!

Just a hint....It did occur to me that the buffet on the ship reminded me a bit of a buffet in a 3-stars Spanish hotel!

As for the crowds, you take your pick !!! All I can say is they were nice people.

By the way, someone accused me of being snobbish (In my initial post, I even "begged" for people not to shoot me, but this person could not resist it, what a nice person, I must shake her/his hand !). H'mmm, I wonder if that comedy show "Benidorm" on telly were produced by" snobbish" people too ? After all, they made fun of the behaviour of "typical" visiting Brits to Benidorm, didn't they????!!!

I do believe most Brits have a sense of humour, and not get too tight up nor getting upset easily, which is probably one of our best traits!

(But then, if you look at my location, I am supposed to live on the Moon, and there, we do not know the meaning of snobbery! Green cheese, anybody? Lol.)

I think when you said social class! D or E had a few people scratching their heads wondering who do you mean?.

43 cruises and counting.

I certainly don't think one person having a view that P&O aims for the lower end of the market means that snobbery is prevalent on "British" cruise lines.
That is just one example, I could provide more but when I do I get shot down by loyalists.

I think that would be a good thing to do. However, right now, it seems like P&O are only keeping the basic fares (and maybe the drinks prices) low(er), but if you add up all the extras (extra charge for items in room service menu, speciality restaurants, drinks, excursions, spa, etc, etc) , the total you would have spent is not that low. That would just be a fool's paradise thinking you have made a great saving. They seem to be taking a leaf from those low cost airlines (and now even some legacy airlines too), where they "unbundle" their product - sell at a relatively basic low fare, and then make more money by charging ancillary products and services. Nothing wrong with that.

On the subject of with this "unbundling" business model in offering basic fares low, you also attract lower grades of society, ie social grade D and E . Has anyone noticed that the passenger profile of P&O has gone down market somewhat lately? Still, nothing wrong with that, I suppose, as everyone should be welcome

I just wondered if P&O is secretly targeting the lower social market with lower fares, and thus providing cheaper foods with cooking that is not so refined? And as standards fall, your cruise may not be as luxury as you'd expect or experienced in the past. This is where I may have issue with. P&O ads seem still to portray themselves as a kind of "luxury" cruise but they seem to be chipping off the level of luxury so much some passengers are beginning to get dissatisfied.

P&O ought to come out clean and say they are a "low cost" cruise ship, and no more a luxury cruise company. Or they go the other way, raise their prices and raise/maintain their standard especially the standard of their catering. They cannot have the cake and eat it.

Please do not shoot me for bringing this up, this is just an observation. It is just for discussion and you could completely disagree with my observation. That's your prerogative!

I have been thinking about this post and the response it received.

Unbundling - agree completely, with this and other posts that this is P&O strategy. I have to say it's a good business model for them at this point in time.

Social grades - exist, it's a fact and I don't think it's offensive to discuss this. Is cruising now affordable for a wider range of household incomes - through unbundling, yes.

Are P&O targeting a wider social demographic? Yes, what was Ant and Dec all about? P&O have to look to the future and their market. Portraying themselves as luxury - well to very many it is absolute luxury, and I have met people who save for several years to afford it, going without holidays in the interim period between cruises.

Passenger profile - I think the words 'going down' are somewhat derogatory but yes people of all social grades now enjoy cruising. Fine dining is not something that will have been a regular experience to many onboard.

Some of you may recall the restructure at head office a few years back. Help me out here - I'm sure I recall it was to better allow P&O to market their cruises differently to other Carnival brands, with P&O aligned to the lower end of the market. I might be wrong, I'm sure there was a thread.

I don't dislike the brand, I think the ships are big enough with sufficient options to keep everyone happy whatever their background and preferences - with a degree of affordability built into that equation. I do however think there is a tipping point where the lower quality (from my perspective) will drive me elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Quite right. Go with princess, only have a look at CC first as I noticed they were getting big licks for their buffet as well.

Been with Princess many times and like everything in life IMO they are far superior to P&O even their buffet. But why are you worried about buffets by your own admission you never use them so you shouldnt really care how bad the food is in there.

I have been thinking about this post and the response it received.

Unbundling - agree completely, with this and other posts that this is P&O strategy. I have to say it's a good business model for them at this point in time.

Social grades - exist, it's a fact and I don't think it's offensive to discuss this. Is cruising now affordable for a wider range of household incomes - through unbundling, yes.

Are P&O targeting a wider social demographic? Yes, what was Ant and Dec all about? P&O have to look to the future and their market. Portraying themselves as luxury - well to very many it is absolute luxury, and I have met people who save for several years to afford it, going without holidays in the interim period between cruises.

Passenger profile - I think the words 'going down' are somewhat derogatory but yes people of all social grades now enjoy cruising. Fine dining is not something that will have been a regular experience to many onboard.

Some of you may recall the restructure at head office a few years back. Help me out here - I'm sure I recall it was to better allow P&O to market their cruises differently to other Carnival brands, with P&O aligned to the lower end of the market. I might be wrong, I'm sure there was a thread.

I don't dislike the brand, I think the ships are big enough with sufficient options to keep everyone happy whatever their background and preferences - with a degree of affordability built into that equation. I do however think there is a tipping point where the lower quality (from my perspective) will drive me elsewhere.

You are wrong there was never any message from P&O along those lines..

BTW have you not noticed that the prices of P&Oruises is rising. Well according to many posting on other forums.

You are wrong there was never any message from P&O along those lines..

BTW have you not noticed that the prices of P&Oruises is rising. Well according to many posting on other forums.

Happy to stand corrected on the first point it was a vague memory - it looks like they said they have two leading brands Cunard and P&O and they were differentiating between them, but I guess that could be interpreted in many ways, which is probably what happened on discussion boards at the time.

Yes I do think the prices have started to increase, but they are still low compared to some other brands and within the affordability of people on lower incomes.

I am not saying this is a bad thing. In my life I have known people from across the entire social spectrum from the homeless to multi millionaires. To be frank the former often had better manners than the latter.

Edited by Florry

Happy to stand corrected on the first point it was a vague memory - it looks like they said they have two leading brands Cunard and P&O and they were differentiating between them, but I guess that could be interpreted in many ways, which is probably what happened on discussion boards at the time.

Yes I do think the prices have started to increase, but they are still low compared to some other brands and within the affordability of people on lower incomes.

I am not saying this is a bad thing. In my life I have known people from across the entire social spectrum from the homeless to multi millionaires. To be frank the former often had better manners than the latter.

Having recently been on QM2, I prefer P&O UK, ship was great, but many things on it, food, service, entertainment etc was no better than P&O/Princess. IMO Cunard was over rated, well on my sector, Sydney - HK last month.

Hi,its a good job there isnt a social grade F because that would be the "work house" and we would all be getting gruel in the buffet.Mind you,its getting close to that,cheers,Brian.