Sabatini's New Menu

cruise2relax

The Ruby no longer has Sabatinis. They have Share. Price is $39.00 a person. Just got an email from Princess for our cruise on Ruby this weekend. Special price offered at $29.00. Following week we are on the Ruby as well and didn't get that offer.

Hate the Decor when they converted Sabatinis to Share.

The Ruby no longer has Sabatinis. They have Share. Price is $39.00 a person. Just got an email from Princess for our cruise on Ruby this weekend. Special price offered at $29.00. Following week we are on the Ruby as well and didn't get that offer.

Hate the Decor when they converted Sabatinis to Share.

Yes, my coffee shop buddy is on the same cruise this weekend, and he received the same e-mail offer, yesterday.

I am sailing on the Ruby Princess later this month and was considering making reservations at SHARE and Crown Grill through the cruise personalizer. When I saw the offer that he'd received (he'd forwarded it to me), I decided to wait to see if I received a similar offer.

This morning in the coffee shop we were chatting, and I mentioned my plan to wait for an offer. He thought that I would not receive this offer. His logic was that Princess knows that he and his wife will dine in a specialty restaurant, at most, once per cruise. So, they are trying to encourage him to do so more often. On the other hand, they also know that I will make mutiple specialty restaurant resevervations for every cruise. So, they feel that such encouragement is not necessary.

Makes sense. I'm still going to hold out, though.

Currently on the Caribbean and the Grand. Coming to the Regal and Coral in November and the Star in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anybody know when this new menu will be presented on the Royal?

Pooh

Does anyone know the status of Sabatini's on ISLAND?
The ship's listed in my post above are the only ones that have a scheduled date of conversion to the Sabatini's Trattoria menu shown on the a Princess website.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Baystate;53124225]I grew up in an Italian household and most of this does not appeal to me. My mother, grandmother and aunt cooked authentic food, and it was delicious, but most of this just looks trendy. LA is not a place that I think of as a great Italian food city. It is a trendy city that runs on fads.

I also grew up in an Italian family but my mother was from Genoa....and my neighbors in my 'hood were from the south...usually Naples or Sicilian. Much different food...totally....I use to ask my mother how come she never made spaghetti and meatballs or sausage...She would give a discerning look and say, that is not my food....My Nonna never cooked that....so, food within Italy is way different as you travel. Sicilian food is different that food from Naples as is food from Tuscany or Venice or the Alps. Much of this food on the menu is similar to what was served when we had company or it was a special day. I am looking forward to it...

I come from the same background as you, have also enjoyed Northern Italian dishes in Italy, but having the new menu on Caribbean Princess was terrible, I was very sick that evening, my dinner consisted of a veal entre that was stuffed with a cheese looking version that poured out as it cut into it. Princess states the famous chef`s name but also Princess own chefs who combined their dishes into the menu. I can only imagine how little the famous chef contributed into the menu.

• 1 year later...

My question is we are sailing on the Grand on February 21, 2019 and it has the new menu.  Will they explain what each item is on the menu  since I'm not Italian and don't want to order something and it ends up being something I won't eat. 

Just sailed on the Grand (Xmas and New Year sailing). Ate in Sabatini's.  Not very crowded.  Had never heard of most menu items.  I mentioned to the Asst Mgr that perhaps some folks were turned off by not seeing items they were familiar with.  She said "we're adding some new familiar items next year".  Don't know when that's happening.  We all did enjoy our dinner (although I can't remember what I had).  Crown Grill was quite crowded.

Edited by jes95135
typos

1 hour ago, Almighty188 said:

My question is we are sailing on the Grand on February 21, 2019 and it has the new menu.  Will they explain what each item is on the menu  since I'm not Italian and don't want to order something and it ends up being something I won't eat. 

I think the menu has an adequate description of the options:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/sabatinis-trattoria/sabatinis-trattoria-main-menu.pdf

Here’s an example of a Secondi Piatti (Second Courses):

Scaloppine di Pollo, Salsa al Limoncello con Rosemarino
seared chicken breast, sorrento lemon, asparagus, rosemary sauce, garlic, pine nuts, capers, olive oil & parsley mashed potatoes

22 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I think the menu has an adequate description of the options:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/sabatinis-trattoria/sabatinis-trattoria-main-menu.pdf

Here’s an example of a Secondi Piatti (Second Courses):

Scaloppine di Pollo, Salsa al Limoncello con Rosemarino
seared chicken breast, sorrento lemon, asparagus, rosemary sauce, garlic, pine nuts, capers, olive oil & parsley mashed potatoes

For some of them but not all of them it seems.  Like the Breaded Veal Vallet for example, I know what veal since it's basically calf but when my late dad was alive, there was a Breaded Veal something-let for example that was actually calf liver.  So from the menu, it seems like it's only the Breaded Veal Vallet that doesn't tell you what it is as the next line seems to just tell you what else is on the plate.  On the Grand, where is Crabby Shack located because in the CC review at https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=54&pgtype=dining - it seems to say Deck 14 Aft but then later, it says located in a section of the Horizon Court Buffet.  The later seems to be how Princess would describe it, wonder where the Deck 14 Aft came from.

8 minutes ago, Almighty188 said:

For some of them but not all of them it seems.  Like the Breaded Veal Vallet for example, I know what veal since it's basically calf but when my late dad was alive, there was a Breaded Veal something-let for example that was actually calf liver.  So from the menu, it seems like it's only the Breaded Veal Vallet that doesn't tell you what it is as the next line seems to just tell you what else is on the plate.  On the Grand, where is Crabby Shack located because in the CC review at https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=54&pgtype=dining - it seems to say Deck 14 Aft but then later, it says located in a section of the Horizon Court Buffet.  The later seems to be how Princess would describe it, wonder where the Deck 14 Aft came from.

You can ask the waitstaff to explain it when the description is too vague for you.

For the Crab Shack ours was on deck 14 aft which can also be described as the aft section of the HC.  On newer versions of Grand-Class ships that area is called Cafe Caribe which is basically the aft end of the HC.

9 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

You can ask the waitstaff to explain it when the description is too vague for you.

For the Crab Shack ours was on deck 14 aft which can also be described as the aft section of the HC.  On newer versions of Grand-Class ships that area is called Cafe Caribe which is basically the aft end of the HC.

The reason I mentioned it was it seems this thread is a few years old and people asked about the Breaded Veal Vallet but it seems like no one has said they tried it or what it is exactly as vallet is not even a word in the dictionary.  For some reason, I kept thinking the Horizontal Court was on the lower decks (5-7) and not all the way up there on Deck 14 which was why I was confused about the location.

Absolutely nothing on this menu interests me and I could eat Italian for every meal.Can't they include a steak,like the last menu.It seems that Princess has gotten quite esoteric with the dinner menus,although lunch is still fine.We eat in the buffet or the Crown Grill about half of the time due to the wild stuff that is on the dinner menus.

Just off the Crown Princess yesterday.  We dined in Sabatini's on Tuesday night, but the menu was different than the one posted here.  I had manicotti for first course and it was pretty good.  Second course was a rolled chicken breast stuffed with (I think) sundried tomato and mushroom (?).  Mediocre.  My husband had artichoke soufflé for first course and second course was branzino aka sea bass.  It was enormous, he couldn't finish it.  Dessert, citron tart was very good - a nice change from the excessive amount of chocolate desserts on offer in all dining rooms.  It was not at all busy but service was extremely slow.  Fortunately this was a complimentary dinner but I would have been quite unhappy if we had paid $29 pp for it.  On the other hand, the $29 pp spent on our Crown Grill dinner was more than worth it.

23 minutes ago, yvr49 said:

...excessive amount of chocolate desserts on offer in all dining rooms...

There is no such thing!     There will never be enough chocolate in the world to suit some of us, though I do think that many of the Princess chocolate desserts are too sweet.   

On 4/6/2017 at 6:48 PM, Scotto97 said:

Unless you're a fan of strong tasting vegetables ( Zucchini, squash, artichokes) and shellfish (Mussels, clams), I don't see a lot here to be desired. Call my pallet unsophisticated if you'd like, but my wife and I won't be eating here. I'm with those who wondered why they cannot offer fantastic pasta with nice but simple sauces. Everything is infused with items that many people don't care for.

Me too.

On 4/6/2017 at 6:42 AM, Luvmyrotti said:

Why all the weird, "fussy" food?? Why not just some really good, well done (not olive garden or carraba's) traditional Italian dishes? I love a really well done, basil pesto on home-made fettuccini or a nice cheese tortellini in a veal and mushroom sauce. I guess I just don't get a mint-specked tortelloni with roasted lamb and a sauce I can't pronounce.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for not being adventurous, but I really just don't get the need for food that seems to be trying too hard. Just give me a really well-executed dish with a few simple but delicious ingredients and I'm happy.

I'm with you.  I haven't been to Sabatini's and was looking forward to selections of various pastas, chicken, pizzas, cheeses and salads.  Maybe a few different items.  But this menu has so many things I can't figure out what they are. Not keen on veal and squid- that's just me. Not sure what specialty restaurant I'll choose if any.  Sounds here that many others are excited about the new things- not me.  I've always liked the Crown and I hope they don't totally re-vamp that menu.  

Just my opinion. :classic_smile: