Sabatini's New Menu

cruise2relax

I think the new menu looks great. We usually dine at Sabatini's two or three times each cruise, and, understandably, have been though the menu many times. So, a change sounds exciting.

I am a bit surprised that there is no beef/steak on the menu. Yes, I saw the veal, and that looks good, but it seems to me that many cruisers, especially, Americans, are serious red meat eaters. No big deal. Just an observation.

Beef cheek pasta, I thought. But, yeah, not much beef. Though pork belly and lamb will hit the same notes for some, as well as the veal.

Unless you're a fan of strong tasting vegetables ( Zucchini, squash, artichokes) and shellfish (Mussels, clams), I don't see a lot here to be desired. Call my pallet unsophisticated if you'd like, but my wife and I won't be eating here. I'm with those who wondered why they cannot offer fantastic pasta with nice but simple sauces. Everything is infused with items that many people don't care for.

If you google veal vallet there is no such thing. I have watched Sabatini's change over the years, from when it was the all you can eat until you die menu featuring very special items like fresh Portobello mushrooms and burrata (back when burrata was not on every restaurant menu), to the menu with the salt crusted branzino, lobster three ways, and the veal chop, to the next menu with a less elaborate preparation of branzino (no salt crust), to the one that is posted in this thread. It just seems to keep getting cheaper and cheaper. Now they are passing off polenta as a main course? I get it if your vegetarian but to anyone who's not, that's pretty much a side dish. No lobster dish anymore, even if it was a bit flimsy. Unidentified preparation/cut of veal, a boring chicken entree. It's just not anything to get excited about. I'm all about contemporary food, ingredients, preparation and plating. I don't need old fashioned food to be happy, just something that smacks of quality and a little extra expense since I'm paying extra to eat there. Trout rolls? It doesn't even sound good!

Agree, the only item on the menu that we liked was the veal chop... no draw for us... we can go to the Crown Grill for the veal... so do that.

The burrata appears to be the only holdover from the most recent menu but not short rib penne or calamari fritti. However I'll be happy to try the new menu's choices which were long overdue. The previous menu's change from the one with a pizza course wasn't much different but this menu is an interesting change.

The trend to only one choice per course does appear to be what we'll eventually receive with all specialty dining. It's interesting that the price went back to $25 after increasing to $29 last year. There's no doubt that we'll have plenty to eat & hopefully the menu will be well prepared.

Hopefully the Crown Grill's menu will soon have some good changes although being a steakhouse the options are less varied than with Italian food.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Unless you're a fan of strong tasting vegetables ( Zucchini, squash, artichokes) and shellfish (Mussels, clams), I don't see a lot here to be desired. Call my pallet unsophisticated if you'd like, but my wife and I won't be eating here. I'm with those who wondered why they cannot offer fantastic pasta with nice but simple sauces. Everything is infused with items that many people don't care for.

Totally with you!

I actually like strong tasting vegetables but am not willing to pay $25 for it. One can get zucchini and squash in the dining room by request. A little disappointed in the menu and I love Italian food. I so wish they would bring back some carbonara, some chicken recipes. I guess I like a more simple Italian fare. The odd thing is that I used to think Princess did Italian so well. I used to love when the head waiters would bring us something unique every night trying to impress me and my Italian Mom. I guess those were the days.

While I never sailed Sitmar, the stories of my friends who did - I wish they would revisit the Sitmar Italian fare that Princess inherited when they bought Sitmar.

Now that I've had more time to better comprehend the menu, it's being described as having Chef Angelo's contemporary flair and less traditional Italian food.

Based on his description as a chef for LA restaurants that isn't my type of Italian food. It's been said the menu is an effort to attract younger passengers but not all of them like contemporary Italian food. And that goal has another weak point that happened with Share. Even if the ingredients are the same, the quality & preparation on a ship won't be the same as at a trendy contemporary landbased restaurant. While that may be possible on luxury cruise lines with fewer passengers that certainly doesn't describe cruise lines such as Princess.

With Sabatini's being renovated to a contemporary decor, the contemporary menu isn't surprising to me.

I'll try the new menu & hopefully it will be successful. However I believe that Princess should have created a better traditional Italian dining experience than one with Chef Angelo's contemporary flair. It would've been better to use the great Italian recipes used on Sitmar before merging with Princess. And on Sitmar that was included in the dining room without having to pay extra at a specialty restaurant.

I'm skeptical that Princess has created a menu that's better for the majority of their passengers while seeking passengers who want a more contemporary dining experience.

Change can be good but it's not always an improvement.

While I love adventurous and authentic food, especially when traveling or cruising, this menu just doesn't do it for me. It reads a little cheap to me. I would prefer the salt crusted Branzino, veal chop, etc. Sorry but what the hell is a veal vallet? Meh.

The salt Bronzino was a real waste -- once they removed the salt (and the skin with it), the fish had no taste at all.

The wine list looked interesting to me too, although I won't be trying the Gavi. I will be limiting my choice to wines available by the glass for $10 or less,:( but I may try every one of those.:)

I know it sounds expensive, but Amarone at $59 a bottle is a very cheap restaurant price. It's the same price that it was in 2014 on our second Coral cruise, and that was a terrific wine [but sadly I'm sure the 2008 Bolla is gone by now -- yes, Bolla!]

They should have just brought back the old Sabatini's menu like it was when they first opened. I didn't read many complaints then or maybe I just forgot.

Of the menus - that is the most appealing.

Here's a link to more details from a Carnival Corporation news release:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2260763

A quote describing the new Sabatini's Italian Trattoria:

"The re-envisioned Sabatini's Italian Trattoria features a new interior design that reinforces the fresh dining experiences that await guests. A contemporary look reflects the innovative efforts of the Princess culinary staff, while rustic touches serve as a reminder of the traditional Italian specialties that always have been a Sabatini's hallmark".

Here's a link to more details from a Carnival Corporation news release:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2260763

A quote describing the new Sabatini's Italian Trattoria:

"The re-envisioned Sabatini's Italian Trattoria features a new interior design that reinforces the fresh dining experiences that await guests. A contemporary look reflects the innovative efforts of the Princess culinary staff, while rustic touches serve as a reminder of the traditional Italian specialties that always have been a Sabatini's hallmark".

Blah, Blah, Blah

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Blah, Blah, Blah

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just corporate marketing. ;)

Neither the soup nor the salad course appeals to me...wonder if we'll be able to request two appetizers instead. I looked up the meaning of a trattoria & it's not close to how Princess marketing describes Sabatini's Italian Trattoria.

It looks wonderful to me! Wonder if I will get a refund as we have prebooked and paid $29 pp!

How were you able to pre-book restaurant reservations? They always tell us we can't do that.

I just looked it up on "On board Reservations" for our next cruise and this is what it says: "For an extra special dining experience, or if celebrating something special, don't miss the exquisite cuisine and intimate settings of our specialty restaurants. Make your reservations early once onboard via the DINE line from your stateroom phone."

How were you able to pre-book restaurant reservations? They always tell us we can't do that.

I just looked it up on "On board Reservations" for our next cruise and this is what it says: "For an extra special dining experience, or if celebrating something special, don't miss the exquisite cuisine and intimate settings of our specialty restaurants. Make your reservations early once onboard via the DINE line from your stateroom phone."

I first experienced this option on the Star in January & it was recently added to my fall cruise on the Royal. It appears to be gradually rolling out fleetwide and when it's available will be on your Cruise Personalizer under the Specialty Dining Reservations tab.

Not all times are available to reserve in advance & it requires payment by chargecard to make a reservation.

Here's the statement from my cruise:

"Any reservations using onboard credits or promotional specialty dining credits must be made onboard the ship. Additional dates and times may be available onboard. Once onboard, please call the DINE line to inquire about additional times, or to use an onboard or specialty dining credit to make reservations".

We will be on the Caribbean Princess in late May and specialty dining reservations are available if you pre-pay. As we wanted to eat in Sabatinis on the last evening we decided to pre-pay. We also have an included specialty meal that we will use at another time.

Why all the weird, "fussy" food?? Why not just some really good, well done (not olive garden or carraba's) traditional Italian dishes? I love a really well done, basil pesto on home-made fettuccini or a nice cheese tortellini in a veal and mushroom sauce. I guess I just don't get a mint-specked tortelloni with roasted lamb and a sauce I can't pronounce.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for not being adventurous, but I really just don't get the need for food that seems to be trying too hard. Just give me a really well-executed dish with a few simple but delicious ingredients and I'm happy.

I with you, I look at an upscale Italian cooking magazine... what it has is just what you are talking about in the way of recipes and offerrings. I found the new menu a turn off too.

The old menu didn't do much for me and the new menu has the same effect. I am very happy for those who love the venue but I doubt we will be partaking of the Sabatini's offerings.

I did not think the old menu was that good either but better than this for sure. I hope they don't start messing with the Crown Grill...

Why all the weird, "fussy" food?? Why not just some really good, well done (not olive garden or carraba's) traditional Italian dishes? I love a really well done, basil pesto on home-made fettuccini or a nice cheese tortellini in a veal and mushroom sauce. I guess I just don't get a mint-specked tortelloni with roasted lamb and a sauce I can't pronounce.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for not being adventurous, but I really just don't get the need for food that seems to be trying too hard. Just give me a really well-executed dish with a few simple but delicious ingredients and I'm happy.

I agree with you 100%!

We will be on the Caribbean Princess in late May and specialty dining reservations are available if you pre-pay. As we wanted to eat in Sabatinis on the last evening we decided to pre-pay. We also have an included specialty meal that we will use at another time.

Hey, on pre-orders, booze, water you name it we always prepay and there is no alternative if you want to pre-order. Only exception I can think of is the shore excursions. I just called them, asked them the same question. Answer: No can do. Must be a slow integration of new policy on a ship by ship basis.

Princess must continue to move with the times and develop its offering. If it continued to provide the same product as 10 / 20 / 30 years ago, it wouldn't remain viable. How would this compete with RCL, X etc.? No doubt they are trying to attract the next generation of cruisers and perhaps appeal to people outside of the US.

The burrata appears to be the only holdover from the most recent menu but not short rib penne or calamari fritti. However I'll be happy to try the new menu's choices which were long overdue. The previous menu's change from the one with a pizza course wasn't much different but this menu is an interesting change.

I'm sad to see the short rib penne go as it was amazing. The new menu doesn't appeal to me, but I will try it once. I do like the addition of the chicken breast for the less adventurous like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro