Sabatini's New Menu

cruise2relax

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm looking forward to the new menu since I have gotten quite bored with the old one. As long as it's not New York/New Jersey Italian, I'll be happy. Apologies to New Yorkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Based on the new menu, having an additional dessert is not an option but for an additional $10 it's possible to get an additional pasta or main course: "Cover charge of $25/person includes one selection from each course.Please enjoy any additional pasta or main course for $10 each".

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/sabatinis-trattoria/sabatinis-trattoria-main-menu.pdf

I'm sure if you want a second dessert (or salad or soup or whatever), they will find a way to make that happen, and they will charge you something between $0 and $10 (I'm guessing closer to $0, but who knows).

Sorry. I thought each & every extra item incurred a $10 charge. That's does sound unlikely.

I like sampling all of the desserts but limit myself to just 2. :)

• 2 months later...
The new menus are on the website Caribbean Princess Revitalization Emerging April 2017. This website contains a link to Learn more about Sabatini's Italian Trattoria. This website includes links to new menus Dinner Menu (PDF) and Beverage Menu (PDF).

Under THE TRANSFORMATION UNFOLDS, it states: "Experience the new restaurant design and elevated menu on board select ships, beginning with Caribbean Princess and Grand Princess this April." It does not provide any dates for any other ships.

I will be very interested in trying out the new menus on embarkation evening. My first impression of the new menus is favorable, but the question is how it is executed. I will be checking out the new menus on an Alaska cruise on the Grand Princess next month, so I can report back with my impressions after that.

Thanks very much for sharing the links to both the menu and the wine list! My wine loving husband appreciates it :)

If you google veal vallet there is no such thing. I have watched Sabatini's change over the years, from when it was the all you can eat until you die menu featuring very special items like fresh Portobello mushrooms and burrata (back when burrata was not on every restaurant menu), to the menu with the salt crusted branzino, lobster three ways, and the veal chop, to the next menu with a less elaborate preparation of branzino (no salt crust), to the one that is posted in this thread. It just seems to keep getting cheaper and cheaper. Now they are passing off polenta as a main course? I get it if your vegetarian but to anyone who's not, that's pretty much a side dish. No lobster dish anymore, even if it was a bit flimsy. Unidentified preparation/cut of veal, a boring chicken entree. It's just not anything to get excited about. I'm all about contemporary food, ingredients, preparation and plating. I don't need old fashioned food to be happy, just something that smacks of quality and a little extra expense since I'm paying extra to eat there. Trout rolls? It doesn't even sound good!

I agree - "It just seems to keep getting cheaper and cheaper." Many favorites are gone & new additions nothing to get excited about. (Trout rolls - ugh!) Will miss the old menu.

We were on the Grand princess to Alaska in June. They serve the new menu. The food was fantastic! We were on a 10 cruise and went there 3 times! It's great to try new options. The service and the Chef , were amazing!:D

That's good to hear. We got to try one dish from the new menu when we were on the Grand in May. I agree with you. It was fantastic. We will be on the Grand again in October and can't wait to try the new menu.

It's so nice to have a post from someone that has tried the new menu, and liked it, as opposed to those that have read the new menu and commented, when they haven't even tried the new items.

Thanks very much for sharing the links to both the menu and the wine list! My wine loving husband appreciates it :)

The menu shown for Sabatini`s is the old one on most ships but not on the Caribbean Princess which has a new one which I`m not sure about. I always liked the present one.

If you google veal vallet there is no such thing.

I

I guess we'll find out soon enough. In the meantime I hope they fix the various typos/errors in the menu (rosemarino, insalat, dolce latte, dolce vida, vallet :confused:)

I'm guessing they were trying for veal palette which I would be happy to try .

It is surprising that people would whine about a $10 charge for an extra entree . I have never been able to eat more then all of the food served at Sabatini's or any of the other extra fee restaurants . I have seen customers order multiple plates just to try them all . Of all cost control measures , this is certainly one I don't have any issues with .

I would always order the veal chop. I can get a breaded veal cutlet any time at any restaurant or even at home. I wonder if the veal cutlet is tough like the one in the MDR? I'm not impressed with the menu at all. I noticed that the Crown Grill serves a veal chop.

So, does anyone know what veal valet is???

• 2 months later...

DW and I just returned from a full Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess. We broke up our 15 days in the Provence DR with a visit to both Bayou Café and Sabatini's. Our meal at Sabatini's was excellent, and we had an 'old' menu which had both a strip steak and the lobster three ways on it. Our waiter said the menu was changing soon (within a few weeks) and those items were going away. I'm glad I ordered the lobster, even if the tails were small - in the 4-5 oz range. The restaurant was busy on the night we visited, so the service was a little slow. However, each course was served at what appeared the be the proper temperature and appearance. In general, I enjoyed every meal I had on our cruise.

DW and I just returned from a full Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess. We broke up our 15 days in the Provence DR with a visit to both Bayou Café and Sabatini's. Our meal at Sabatini's was excellent, and we had an 'old' menu which had both a strip steak and the lobster three ways on it. Our waiter said the menu was changing soon (within a few weeks) and those items were going away. I'm glad I ordered the lobster, even if the tails were small - in the 4-5 oz range. The restaurant was busy on the night we visited, so the service was a little slow. However, each course was served at what appeared the be the proper temperature and appearance. In general, I enjoyed every meal I had on our cruise.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but we're going on the Coral partial Panama Canal next week. I'm going to try to find the menu so I know what it has on it. How was the Bayou Cafe ?

We tried last week on the Grand. Was a lot of food. Tried the porchetta, and the crust on the outside was crisped to perfection!! Too full for dessert but had some of my husbands chocolate dessert and it was beautiful, tasted good and more then enough for two.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We tried last week on the Grand. Was a lot of food. Tried the porchetta, and the crust on the outside was crisped to perfection!! Too full for dessert but had some of my husbands chocolate dessert and it was beautiful, tasted good and more then enough for two.

We had our first experience with the new Sabatini's menu in September--also on the Grand Princess. We actually visited the room, twice. On sailaway day we, like you, were overstuffed by the end of the meal--uncomfortably so.

On our second visit, we changed our strategy, a bit. The Aperitivo that they bring out is wonderful. Those little doughballs, whatever they are called, are AWESOME. However, they are also "gastric grenades." On our first visit we cleaned them out. I know they expanded immensely in our stomachs. On our second visit we limited ourselves to one each. Believe me that took some self control. We did polish off the prosciutto.

Then, I skipped the soup/salad course. My wife had the salad, skipped the pasta and then, for her entree, made a selection from the antipasto list.

After that, we both had room for dessert. ;p

Baystate;53124225]I grew up in an Italian household and most of this does not appeal to me. My mother, grandmother and aunt cooked authentic food, and it was delicious, but most of this just looks trendy. LA is not a place that I think of as a great Italian food city. It is a trendy city that runs on fads.

I also grew up in an Italian family but my mother was from Genoa....and my neighbors in my 'hood were from the south...usually Naples or Sicilian. Much different food...totally....I use to ask my mother how come she never made spaghetti and meatballs or sausage...She would give a discerning look and say, that is not my food....My Nonna never cooked that....so, food within Italy is way different as you travel. Sicilian food is different that food from Naples as is food from Tuscany or Venice or the Alps. Much of this food on the menu is similar to what was served when we had company or it was a special day. I am looking forward to it...

I don't think that's fair at all. Angelo Auriana was the executive chef at Valentino. Whatever one may think of Italian food in Los Angeles generically, that certainly cannot be applied to Valentino which ranks among the top Italian restaurants in the country irrespective of location. It has been a hallmark of Italian cuisine for decades, and while magazine lists are a dime a dozen, Valentino has been ranked as the #1 Italian restaurant in the country on a number of occasions.

As for comparing what comes out of a high-end Italian restaurant kitchen to what Mamma or Nonna used to make, they are apples and oranges. (Or Meatballs and Lamb Agnolotti). Most homemade Italian cooking follows the path of Cucina Povera. Immigrants of simple means came to this country and cooked and dined the way they did back home, which is to say, they cooked at home with inexpensive, fresh, readily available ingredients that they produced themselves or could source at local markets. Dining out was almost unheard of, unless dining out meant going to a friend's or relative's house. Certainly nothing wrong with that, and that is what came to be accepted as Italian cuisine both at home and many, many restaurants. But if you dined at a high-end restaurant in Florence or Milan or Turin or Rome (or Bergamo, where Angelo Auriana is from), the menu wouldn't look anything like Cucina Povera. Didn't back in the day and wouldn't now. High-end Italian restaurants are just as "trendy", creative and ever-changing as anywhere else in the world. Do you think that top chefs in Italy spend years in culinary school and as apprentices so that they can perfect Manicotti? The new menu at Sabatini's is not at all far afield from a high-end experience that one might find in Bergamo, Milan, Como or Turin. It is certainly very different from the home cooked cuisine found south of Rome in places like Naples, Bari and Palermo where the vast majority of Italians immigrants came from. But I don't think it can be condemned as "LA Trendy". Maybe "Milan Trendy". After all. Milan is actually more trend-conscious than even LA.

YES........YES...and YES, again....

Do all Sabatini restaurants on all Princess ships have the new menu or are they rolling it out on a schedule? Just curious about the Regal Princess.

Thanks!

Camelia

Currently on the Caribbean and the Grand. Coming to the Regal and Coral in November and the Star in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Currently on the Caribbean and the Grand. Coming to the Regal and Coral in November and the Star in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That may explain why our December cruise on the Crown is still charging $29 pp. If I had to guess, I'd say they will change that on the Crown when it comes out of dry dock in the spring.

That may explain why our December cruise on the Crown is still charging $29 pp. If I had to guess, I'd say they will change that on the Crown when it comes out of dry dock in the spring.
Could be, but notice the Sabatini's Trattoria menu is coming to the Regal and Coral without a drydock to update Sabatini's to the new design.