Sabatini's New Menu

cruise2relax

What has happened to the lobster dishes????? Going on my first Princess cruise and was looking forward to lobster in Sabatinnis.

We are with you. Sabatini's has been our favorite, have eaten there dozens of times. Almost always have ordered the lobster. I don't dare tell my wife about this new menu, maybe it change by next January when we get on the Pacific Princess. Grown Grill has always had lobster as well, but Sabatini's was way ahead in preparation.

I'm in the same category as you. ;)

I plan to try the new menu but don't understand why there are no beef Secondi Piatti options. Not everyone eats veal & one of the most famous Northern Italian entrées is Bistecca alla Fiorentina...Florentine Beefsteak.

At first glance I was happy that the burrata was still an option however it's nothing like the previous great version with tomatoes & balsamic syrup.

Currently:

Burrata alla Panna con Carpaccio di Pomodori hand-formed cow’s milk cheese with creamy lava center on tomato carpaccio, balsamic syrup

New:

Burrata cow’s milk burrata, roasted golden beets, fava beans,mint basil vinaigrette, toasted hazelnuts

I was happy about the burrata staying until I read the new description. It's a tradition for my family to eat in Sabbatini's on the first night, but we might have to start a new tradition. I'll try it because we have two free speciality dinners on our next cruise .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The menu is not to my liking. The deal breaker is eliminating the Calamari and then the Veal Chop. I always have dinner in Sabitini the first night as an included suite amenity. I will have to try Chops now.

That's what ended it for me. :mad:Even one main course was sufficient.

That's what ended it for me. :mad:Even one main course was sufficient.

The Calamari was an appetizer not a main course. It was always done to perfection, light and crispy. The veal chop was a main course and was always so good.

Why all the weird, "fussy" food?? Why not just some really good, well done (not olive garden or carraba's) traditional Italian dishes? I love a really well done, basil pesto on home-made fettuccini or a nice cheese tortellini in a veal and mushroom sauce. I guess I just don't get a mint-specked tortelloni with roasted lamb and a sauce I can't pronounce.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for not being adventurous, but I really just don't get the need for food that seems to be trying too hard. Just give me a really well-executed dish with a few simple but delicious ingredients and I'm happy.

Totally agree with you;)

Steak certainly isn't inconsistent with authentic Italian cuisine. (Neither are veal chops or lobster.)

While the new menu looks intriguing, it appears the ingredients (while perhaps innovative) are far less expensive.

I guess Princess has decided to "sell the sizzle, not the steak."

The trend to only one choice per course does appear to be what we'll eventually receive with all specialty dining. It's interesting that the price went back to $25 after increasing to $29 last year. There's no doubt that we'll have plenty to eat & hopefully the menu will be well prepared.

I just booked Sabatini's for $29 each. The price did not go back to $25.

I just booked Sabatini's for $29 each. The price did not go back to $25.

The price reduction to $25 ($10 more for extra pasta or a 2nd entree) is only for the new menu which Princess is debuting this month only on the Caribbean & Grand before going to other ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=405741&d=1491476695

Edited by Astro Flyer

The price reduction to $25 is only for the new menu which Princess is debuting this month only on the Caribbean & Grand before going to other ships.

I just checked the Specialty Dining Reservations option in the Cruise Personalizer on my next two cruises - both with the new menu (one on the Grand Princess in May 2017 and one on the Caribbean Princess in August 2017). They each gave me the option to book a reservation at Sabatini's at $29 per person. They also each had a Sample Menu link which linked to the old menu.

Princess's left hand and right hand don't seem to be talking with each other - what a surprise? Even though Princess has posted the new menu and the new price for these two ships, they are still taking reservations for the old menu and the old price on both of these ships. If I were to reserve now, they would charge my credit card now $29 per person; maybe they would refund the difference onboard.

This was just a test, since I do not plan to book any specialty dining reservations in advance. I have a Specialty Restaurant Cover Charge listed as a Complimentary Gift (from Sip & Sail promotion) with a listed price of $29. I suspect I won't get anything back if we eat at the less expensive Sabatini's instead of at the Crown Grill. We will probably eat there at least once anyway to try out the new menu.

While the new menu looks intriguing, it appears the ingredients (while perhaps innovative) are far less expensive.

I guess Princess has decided to "sell the sizzle, not the steak."

:):):)

I'll be trying the new menu for myself in 3 days, just hoping it's not all sizzle

Srpilo

None of which are available on the current Sabatini's menu. Not even close.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Sabatinis-Menu-Sample.pdf

That's precisely my point--I would expect to eat "neighborhood Italian restaurant cuisine" (which I happen to love) for free at the buffet or the MDR, not at an upcharge specialty restaurant, and that type of food that has never been what Sabatini's has been about.

I've enjoyed Sabatini's in the past but I've never been a fan of their entrees. I have loved their pasta dishes however. I've always asked if I can have a entree of pasta (vs just a side) and they've always been accommodating. They've even gotten creative for me and brought be pasta dishes not on the menu. I'm going to guess they will continue to do the same because as much as I've loved the food I've loved the service even more.

• 2 weeks later...
The Calamari was an appetizer not a main course. It was always done to perfection, light and crispy.
There's still fried calamari in one of the appetizers on the new menu (Frittino di paranza), sounds really promising.

I wonder why they call the zucchini and squash crostini "Alici" (means "anchovies", but they wouldn't do that, would they?)

There's still fried calamari in one of the appetizers on the new menu (Frittino di paranza), sounds really promising.

Based on the Sabatini's Trattoria menu it appears to be a fritter that contains squid in addition to other ingredients & not fried calamari like before. Like the buratta which they still have on the new menu, the new version is much different than previously.

Frittino di Paranza

chickpea fritters, squid, prawns, eggplant, carrots,green beans, lemon garlic aioli

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/sabatinis-trattoria/sabatinis-trattoria-main-menu.pdf

I hope it's not that (and the way I read the description, the only thing in the fritters is chickpeas, like Sicilian pannelle). To me, "frittino" means a small portion of "fritto [misto]".

I guess we'll find out soon enough. In the meantime I hope they fix the various typos/errors in the menu (rosemarino, insalat, dolce latte, dolce vida, vallet :confused:)

I hope it's not that (and the way I read the description, the only thing in the fritters is chickpeas, like Sicilian pannelle). To me, "frittino" means a small portion of "fritto [misto]".

I guess we'll find out soon enough. In the meantime I hope they fix the various typos/errors in the menu (rosemarino, insalat, dolce latte, dolce vida, vallet :confused:)

I hope that you're correct because we greatly enjoyed Sabatini's fried calamari with every meal. Although with the new one item per course limit, it'd be a difficult decision between the calamari & the buratta. ;)

However based on this fritter definition the squid may merely be another fritter ingredient: "a small cake of batter, sometimes containing corn, fruit, clams, or some other ingredient, fried in deep fat or sautéed".

That seems to indicate that the batter may be made from chickpeas with those other ingredients in it. But as you said, maybe we'll soon know for sure.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Well, like all new things, I'll give it a try

Looking forward to trying the new menu.

We went to SHARE and we're of the "loved it" crowd so I'm happy to try the new menu.

Love the burrata made it on the menu. Yes, it's more common now but I love it.

Looking forward to trying on our next cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I am just home from the 5/8-5/18/17, sailing on the Grand Princess. On our last night, we had dinner at Sabatini's. I asked about the new menu, and our waiter said that it was to be rolled out on the May 18th sailing. We did get to try one of the new pasta dishes. It was a ravioli stuffed with ground lamb. The lamb was very mild, but delicious. The pasta wrapper was similar to a won ton wrapper and made of a spinach flour. The sauce was a delicate blend of Parmesan cheese and mint. It was quite possibly the best ravioli that either of us had ever eaten. My husband said that he was ready to send his lobster back for more ravioli.

We will both miss the old menu, but if the new dishes are as good as the one we tried, I think it will be okay. We will be back on the Grand in October, so we are looking forward to going back then.

I am just home from the 5/8-5/18/17, sailing on the Grand Princess. On our last night, we had dinner at Sabatini's. I asked about the new menu, and our waiter said that it was to be rolled out on the May 18th sailing. We did get to try one of the new pasta dishes. It was a ravioli stuffed with ground lamb. The lamb was very mild, but delicious. The pasta wrapper was similar to a won ton wrapper and made of a spinach flour. The sauce was a delicate blend of Parmesan cheese and mint. It was quite possibly the best ravioli that either of us had ever eaten. My husband said that he was ready to send his lobster back for more ravioli.

We will both miss the old menu, but if the new dishes are as good as the one we tried, I think it will be okay. We will be back on the Grand in October, so we are looking forward to going back then.

Were you limited to one item of each course for the price or did they charge for additional items?

Thanks, partybarbie, for your update on this. We'll be on the Grand on the sailing departing on 07 June and looking forward to it. I'd really welcome your comments on the menus overall on your sailing--which ones were hits or misses--to help us plan which nights we should plan on dining outside of the MDR. Will you be doing a full review? Since you were the first Alaska sailing of the season on the Grand, inquiring minds want to know!

Many thanks,