Cruise oversold

This thread makes me nervous. I have an Oceanview guarantee booked for Freedom in July. I haven't received a room assignment yet. I wonder if they booted me if they would refund airfare too since I booked through them?

Time will tell.

Just a guess, but I suspect they would refund air charges if they cancelled a cruise where you have purchased air through the cruise line.

Hi.

Sometimes a guarantee is all that's available for a category.

My husband and I have a Grand Suite Guarantee for Anthem of the Seas.

There was no other way for us to book a suite.

This cruise isn't until January 2018 so I've been checking almost daily to see if we have a cabin.

After reading this thread it made me a bit nervous.

Noreen

hmm i never heard of guarantees for suites. does this mean you 100% will get one? (discounting the topic of this thread of course)

just that i price things daily and ive never seen a suite guarantee for the anthem, at least.

I've booked a GTY triple occupancy but didnt realize you can actually get a price difference if a double occupancy GTY popped up? I thought it had to be apples to apples comparison. How would you do the math on that?

I was wondering as well. How can you book a double guarantee when you require a triple? What happens if they do, in fact, assign you only the double (which is all they really need to do)?

I've booked a GTY triple occupancy but didnt realize you can actually get a price difference if a double occupancy GTY popped up? I thought it had to be apples to apples comparison. How would you do the math on that?

As this was my first guarantee, I know I was very pleasantly surprised when they gave me the price drops both times I called.

As far as the math, originally on my triple guarantee my 1st and 2nd were priced the same as the double occupancy N cabin rate and the 3rd was discounted (almost $400pp less than the triple occupancy K cabin rate). For the two price drops, the fare for the 3rd person remained unchanged but they dropped the fare for 1st and 2nd to the same fare that was showing for the double occupancy guarantee they were offering at the time.

I'm not sure but maybe the double occupancy guarantees are also the same Z-GTY category as my triple occupancy guarantee. If so, then it would be apples to apples.

~ Judy

I was wondering as well. How can you book a double guarantee when you require a triple? What happens if they do, in fact, assign you only the double (which is all they really need to do)?

Please see above post for my reply to Lisa. I booked a TRIPLE guarantee. I was able to get matching price drops offered on double guarantees but still keep my triple guarantee booking.

If they assign me a double by mistake, they can set up a cot for my grandson Robbie on the bridge. ;) He's in NJROTC and would love that! And it would leave more room in my cabin! :D

~ Judy

Edited by FloridaPalms

Price drops. Something I as a European cruiser am very jealous of ye American cruisers for!!! :)

So I booked, but I didn't book guarantee. I just didn't feel comfortable after reading the above, plus I kinda decided I liked knowing EXACTLY where I am on the ship now so...

On the site I look at, there are 4 promenade insides left on Your Allure cruise. I'd call them right now and secure your cabin...tell them you feel they are already overbooked and that you want your cabin assigned immediately!

To which the CSR will tell you to go pound sand since they don't do the assignments.;p

I don't think I will ever book a GTY cabin after reading this story.

And RCI will love you for the extra you will pay for that.

Biker, who wonders if some of these threads are RCI plants to panic people into spending more than they need to.

hmm i never heard of guarantees for suites. does this mean you 100% will get one? (discounting the topic of this thread of course)

just that i price things daily and ive never seen a suite guarantee for the anthem, at least.

Hi

I have often seen W for junior suite guarantee in the past. That was not an option when we booked.

Our booking shows GS guarantee. There were no other suite options for the sailing. So we are guaranteed a minimum of a grand suite. Assuming no crazy oversold problems like the op had.

I am guessing with classes like quantum and oasis where there are so many different types of suites they can do this.

I am still checking daily for cabin assignment but nothing yet. Our cruise isn't until January 2018 so plenty of time left.

Noreen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Feel bad for whoever lost out on their cruise.

Unless some bumpee chimes in here, we have no idea what it took to buy off those folks who did get bumped - I might not feel so bad for them, they may have made out quite well.;)

The OP's post was a little odd. Whoever they talked with would never disclose how many reservations were oversold

The person making the calls probably has one of the most unenviable jobs - imagine telling people they are getting bumped and the abuse they must take. Who knows what kind of info a person under such pressure tells customers.

The Guarantee grades were W, X, Y and Z

W=suite

X=balcony

Y = ocean view

Z= inside.

So if you book a W you should get a minimum of a JS but people book them in the hope of getting a GS and the perks of the CL etc.

With the new recategorisation that starts next April 2018, they are now seen as:

WS= suite

XB = balcony

XN - neighbourhood balcony (OA class)

YO =ocean view

ZI= interior.

So they have kept the WXYZ format and just added another letter!

Edited by little britain

let me see if I understand this, you paid and got a room #, then before you board they call you and say your room went to some one else ?

No, the OP never got an assignment under the GTY booking before the call that they were getting bumped. Oh, BTW, your scenario has also happened but it is probably even more rare than bumping someone with a GTY booking.

Biker, who is not surprised at the unnecessary panic a thread like this causes.

So if you book a W you should get a minimum of a JS but people book them in the hope of getting a GS and the perks of the CL etc.

Not really, most of the time people book, like all the other GTYs, for the sizable cost savings.;)

The Guarantee grades are W, X, Y and Z

W=suite

X=balcony

Y = ocean view

Z= inside.

Normally yes but they have additional ones on oasis and quantum class.

I have seen neighborhood guarantee balcony with a code like XN

I remember seeing someone post a guarantee type for those single person cabins but don't remember the code.

I have my guarantee code which is not W but it's a GS guarantee.

I guess they will keep adding them to charge different prices.

And it will keep us all confused [emoji6]

Normally yes but they have additional ones on oasis and quantum class.

I have seen neighborhood guarantee balcony with a code like XN

I have my guarantee code which is not W but it's a GS guarantee.

Right, the ones listed before are the general ones usually available on all ships. There are GTYs for every existing category, like yours, though those are more rare.

I would hate to be the Royal representative calling passengers, one day before the ship leaves, informing them that there is no cabin for them.

What a crappy job....

At least they can hang up on people; imagine manning the counter at an airport gate and the gate agent telling someone their plane seat is gone. No getting away from an irate customer then. :eek:

Biker, who got bumped once on a flight to Frankfurt while sitting at the departure gate but shrugged it off (they gave me a seat on a later flight but no compensation).

At least they can hang up on people; imagine manning the counter at an airport gate and the gate agent telling someone their plane seat is gone. No getting away from an irate customer then. :eek:

Biker, who got bumped once on a flight to Frankfurt while sitting at the departure gate but shrugged it off (they gave me a seat on a later flight but no compensation).

I feel your pain.....

A few years ago I had a confirmed 1st Class (not business) seat from Tokyo to Atlanta. The flight got cancelled and Delta put me in a middle seat in coach on the next flight. My compensation was 10k points and airport lunch.

I was told I was lucky they even had a seat on the next flight. I didn't feel too lucky!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

The Guarantee grades were W, X, Y and Z

W=suite

X=balcony

Y = ocean view

Z= inside.

With the new recategorisation that starts next April 2018, they are now seen as:

WS= suite

XB = balcony

XN - neighbourhood balcony (OA class)

YO =ocean view

ZI= interior.

So they have kept the WXYZ format and just added another letter!

I'm confused. Mine says H-GTY so is it different according to ship? Or are there other guarantee codes?

... Biker, who got bumped once on a flight to Frankfurt while sitting at the departure gate but shrugged it off (they gave me a seat on a later flight but no compensation).

I wonder if the fact that it was an international flight that US involuntary bumping rules did not come into play. I thought that if you are bumped against your will on a domestic flight, they have to give you real cash, not vouchers.

It's weird that the Rcl rep would tell how many they oversold. And it looks like the OP had options to refuse, when I first read the post I thought OP just couldn't even be on the ship for today's sailings .

It's weird that the Rcl rep would tell how many they oversold. And it looks like the OP had options to refuse, when I first read the post I thought OP just couldn't even be on the ship for today's sailings .

I would not be surprised at all if the rep couched it in the beginning as what was going to happen and the OP had to proactively say the "solution" presented was unacceptable. I am sure they do not want to invite negotiations from everyone they call.

I'm confused. Mine says H-GTY so is it different according to ship? Or are there other guarantee codes?

Those codes (W,X,Y,Z) are generic for overall categories, yours is for a specific H outside category (which is much rarer).