Baltic cruise

Rosemary54

Going on a Baltic cruise in summer. Bit concerned about incidents at both St Petersburg and Stockholm. Not sure what to do.

Cruise lines want you safe. Do as they say and you will acceptably maximize safety. Have a good time.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incidents are possible anywhere. Not just abroad. Security after an incident is usually stronger than before. Cruise lines won't take you to places with known or imminent danger. A Baltic cruise is lovely. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Going on a Baltic cruise in summer. Bit concerned about incidents at both St Petersburg and Stockholm. Not sure what to do.

Are you concerned about anywhere in the US or London or Paris or Germany or Belgium? The list goes on. These incidents are an unfortunate part of life these days. No need to lock yourself away at home - then they win. Both Stockholm and St Petersburg are very beautiful- and safe- you would not want to miss them.

There is always a risk in this day and age. We did a Med cruise from Amsterdam to Rome last year, friends were going to go with us and backed out because of the terror attacks in Europe. While we were on our trip there were no terror attacks a long our route but someone did set off a bomb in NYC and planted a few more in NJ.....So it can happen anywhere. If we start just staying home and doing nothing then the bad guys have won and we have lost. Go and enjoy it and just be aware of your surroundings.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm sure we will be fine. I realise it is important not to stop going on holiday otherwise terrorists have won. I suppos I'm also just not comfortable with Putin's actions across the world at the moment.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm sure we will be fine. I realise it is important not to stop going on holiday otherwise terrorists have won. I suppos I'm also just not comfortable with Putin's actions across the world at the moment.

It's important not to let them win..... stiff upper lip and all that [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe that you are from the UK. Was there not just an event in London a few weeks ago? Did you stop going out of the house then?

St Petersburg is an amazing city. Enjoy your cruise.

So is your concern with Putin or terrorism? We leave in just a few weeks. We are concerned but just feel we need to be vigilant. Cruise lines are not risk takers and your safety is priority. If you are not comfortable I would suggest you find a vacation you can enjoy. Especially before final payment is made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did a Baltic cruise 2 summers ago when hostility between Russia and the Ukraine were escalating. The events included the shooting down of the Malaysian jetliner.

On a tour in St. Petersburg someone mentioned this to the tour guide who immediately corrected them saying the Ukraine had started the hostility and had also shot down the jetliner.

Same story, different view based on Government and News reports.

So yes, the world continues to be a crazy place. Either hide in your basement or get out there and enjoy it.

Europe in general is much safer than most other parts of the world (including the US). There is a new tourism report available which ranks countries in terms of tourism http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_TTCR_2017_web_0401.pdf. The safety stuff is on page 51 and most cruise destinations in Europe are ranked way ahead of the US. OK, Russia is behind but most cruisers won´t go on their own there anyway because of visa requirements. Tour guides know where you will be safe. SPB is a major tourist attraction and I don´t think the Russians want to loose that by not caring for your safety.

Unfortunately, incidents in subways can happen anywhere nowadays. There was a panic in a NYC subway station, London has had it´s share of subway terrorism and so on. Best way of avoiding that would be to stay at home and also quit your job because it is more likely to get in a mess like that when going to work every day than when going on a cruise.

All statistics I have seen so far say it is more likely to be killed in a shooting on the streets in the US than in a terrorist attac somewhere in the world. Sorry to say that. I really like the Americans but I ´m concerned about their policy regarding firearms for private persons.

If an area is truly dangerous, the cruiselines will not include the stop. There will be common sense warnings and suggestions onboard. Plan your tours in groups. Days on your own should have a plan and a map.

As stated, if you give up this trip for fear of what could happen, then you would need to stay in bed for fear of all the things that can go bad at home.

Just be smart and alert. And have a wonderful time. :D

You are probably more at risk driving to the supermarket or even to get to the cruise. We worry about these incidents because the news companies want you to keep watching. I've "subscribed" to a local internet paper and it seems that every day someone is being arrested for something or there is an overturned car. If you start to feel unsafe, you will stay home and in a big storm a tree will fall on your house - just kidding - but I hope you get my drift. I used to be concerned about going into NYC but then I started to work there and commute and recognized that as long as I didn't do really stupid things (like walk down a dark deserted street with $100 bills hanging out of your wallet), it wasn't likely to be a problem. All of that said, I wouldn't go to Syria right now.

Beth