Help finding info on the Internet packages

styles27

The prices for Internet are not on HAL's site.

These are the prices on the majority of the ships:

It doesn't matter whether you use the ship's computers or you take your own lap top -- the price is the same for Internet:

You will be charged a one-time activation fee of $3.95.

Satellite Internet Time Plans:

Pay as you go $0.75 Per Minute

Time Plan 1: 1000 Minutes -- $250.00

Time Plan 2: 500 Minutes -- $175.00

Time Plan 3: 250 Minutes -- $100.00

Time Plan 4: 100 Minutes -- $55.00.

Thank you for your help!

Is it possible to call and add it to my reservation or do I have to wait and do it on board?

You do it on board, obviously if you are using your own device. People complain how slow it is and why HAL can't or will not update it as it can often take 4 to 5 minutes to just connect and the clock is running the minute you log on. If they speed it up. they lose revenue. My argument is that if they speed it up more people will sign on and they might actually gain revenue..........????? and have happy people

You do it on board, obviously if you are using your own device. People complain how slow it is and why HAL can't or will not update it as it can often take 4 to 5 minutes to just connect and the clock is running the minute you log on. If they speed it up. they lose revenue. My argument is that if they speed it up more people will sign on and they might actually gain revenue..........????? and have happy people

Wow I didn't realize it was that archaic. Sounds like the old days of dial up. :D

Maybe we'll just wait until we're in port and use our cellular data or free wifi at different places.

I used the internet on Zuiderdam last month...we would never pay for a package but had $200 of internet credit through Explore 4.

I used the package periodically to check email as well as an occasional peek at facebook. My husband used it to check one of the sports sites he frequents.

I bought a 250 minute package for $100 (half my credit) and didn't have any really noticeable speed or connection issues. It took me 6 days to use up those 250 minutes.

Used the remaining $100 to buy another 250 minute package and ended up walking off the ship with 180 minutes unused.

I remember when hotels started offering internet service, things were similar. It wasn't part of the hotels core business so they generally either outsourced​ or under resourced internet service. Even if marketing research shows they were better off with offering better service it was still not part of their Core Business and therefore there were better ways for them to spend their scarce capital resources, perhaps upgrading the health club or the restaurant. And just like with hotels, I think what we'll see is the lower grade brands improving their internet services first and lowering their prices as well, while the better brands will remain lacking with regard to this non-essential operation and continue to charge a lot more for it.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

We're probably not too far away from having free wifi everywhere (although nothing is free lol)

I'm amazed that I can connect 30,000' up in the sky and have a good strong connection...hopefully the cruise lines will figure out a cost effective method as well.

I'm torn because I know my DH will want to check in with his office but on the other hand I'm tempted to just let it go so he can really "get away" for the week.;)

I used the internet on Zuiderdam last month...we would never pay for a package but had $200 of internet credit through Explore 4.

I used the package periodically to check email as well as an occasional peek at facebook. My husband used it to check one of the sports sites he frequents.

I bought a 250 minute package for $100 (half my credit) and didn't have any really noticeable speed or connection issues. It took me 6 days to use up those 250 minutes.

Used the remaining $100 to buy another 250 minute package and ended up walking off the ship with 180 minutes unused.

That's great. I wonder if the signal strength is different based on where the itinerary is.

Do those unused minutes expire?

I'm amazed that I can connect 30,000' up in the sky and have a good strong connection...hopefully the cruise lines will figure out a cost effective method as well.
The business traveler is pushing airline Internet along, though.

You will be charged a one-time activation fee of $3.95.
That has been gone more than two years.

... it can often take 4 to 5 minutes to just connect and the clock is running the minute you log on.
If you are using your own device, the first thing you should do is change your home page to the very simple google.com so that you do not waste time loading up a complex home page with info that you usually will not use. I can usually connect, download waiting email messages, and disconnect within the minimum 1 minute, or 2 at most. After reading/writing off line, I use another minute or 2 to send them.
Unless things have changed since last May, different ships have different packages at different prices.
Some ships may still offer the unlimited packages, but I believe the Eurodam uses the standard price scale that Krazy Kruizers quoted.
That's great. I wonder if the signal strength is different based on where the itinerary is.
Yes. Performance is better in the Caribbean than in higher latitudes such as AK.
Do those unused minutes expire?
Yes, as soon as you are off the ship. Edited by jtl513

If you are using your own device, the first thing you should do is change your home page to the very simple google.com so that you do not waste time loading up a complex home page with info that you usually will not use.

Use about:blank as your home page. It's got no load whatsoever.

I tried that years ago but after it did not work on a couple of ships I gave up trying. www.google.com is fast enough for me.

What browser do you use? It's part of the the web standard going way, way back to the NCSA Mosaic.

It just tells the browser to open and not try to go anywhere.

You then have to type login.com or 1.1.1.1 to hit the authentication server directly.

That has been gone more than two years.

If you are using your own device, the first thing you should do is change your home page to the very simple google.com so that you do not waste time loading up a complex home page with info that you usually will not use. I can usually connect, download waiting email messages, and disconnect within the minimum 1 minute, or 2 at most. After reading/writing off line, I use another minute or 2 to send them.

Some ships may still offer the unlimited packages, but I believe the Eurodam uses the standard price scale that Krazy Kruizers quoted.

Yes. Performance is better in the Caribbean than in higher latitudes such as AK.

Yes, as soon as you are off the ship.

Great information, thank you so much!

I just completed a 14 day transatlantic crossing on the Westerdam. I purchased the Enhanced Plan for the 14 day voyage at a cost of $169.99 or $24.99 per day. The speed so far has been very good although there have been several occasions of no connection. Not as fast as being at home but certainly adequate for email, Facebook and accessing the internet. The description of the Enhanced Plan says: Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype video calling or music streaming. The Social Plan ($14.99 day or $119.99 voyage): Access the most popular social websites and applications. Includes Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or applications. The Premiere Plan ($29.99 day or $219.99 voyage): From e-mail to Skype, our Premiere Plan promises the fastest possible connection and largest allocation of satellite bandwidth. Supports Skype video calling where coverage allows.

I just completed a 14 day transatlantic crossing on the Westerdam. I purchased the Enhanced Plan for the 14 day voyage at a cost of $169.99 or $24.99 per day. The speed so far has been very good although there have been several occasions of no connection. Not as fast as being at home but certainly adequate for email, Facebook and accessing the internet. The description of the Enhanced Plan says: Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype video calling or music streaming. The Social Plan ($14.99 day or $119.99 voyage): Access the most popular social websites and applications. Includes Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or applications. The Premiere Plan ($29.99 day or $219.99 voyage): From e-mail to Skype, our Premiere Plan promises the fastest possible connection and largest allocation of satellite bandwidth. Supports Skype video calling where coverage allows.

Thank you for the update! I hope you had a great cruise!

Thank you for the update! I hope you had a great cruise!

Just an FYI, the Westerdam is either the only ship, or one of two ships (I think the other one is the NA, but don't quote me on that), with the unlimited internet. As you're travelling on the Eurodam, I would expect to pay the prices that KK posted earlier (without that $3.95 activation fee).

Just an FYI, the Westerdam is either the only ship, or one of two ships (I think the other one is the NA, but don't quote me on that), with the unlimited internet. As you're travelling on the Eurodam, I would expect to pay the prices that KK posted earlier (without that $3.95 activation fee).

Oh shoot, ok thanks! I wonder why it's not fleetwide?

Oh shoot, ok thanks! I wonder why it's not fleetwide?

When I inquired on the Westerdam last October, I was told that they were still testing the unlimited packages/pricing. The test was supposedly almost over at that time but, obviously, the unlimited packages are still offered on the ship. Many of us wish the unlimited package would be offered fleetwide.

You're absolutely correct. The Eurodam uses the per minute pricing.

Just remember when cruising within 2 miles of shore they turn off the ship internet. When we sailed the Adriatic Sea last year on the Oosterdam they recommended against taking internet packages. This year we are doing the Baltic on Zuiderdam. I think we will be even closer to shore so still not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just remember when cruising within 2 miles of shore they turn off the ship internet. When we sailed the Adriatic Sea last year on the Oosterdam they recommended against taking internet packages. This year we are doing the Baltic on Zuiderdam. I think we will be even closer to shore so still not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They turn off the ships cell phone service when approaching shore. The internet service stays active even while tied up at dock. While at the dock, others services may also be available from shore to keep from using the ships wifi.