why dont they stop at coco cay more?

tommy47

my wife and I were on the silouette a few weeks ago and we stopped at coco cay and loved it. I was looking at next year and I don't see them stopping on any cruises at coco cay. does anyone know why? this place was great.

I heard a rumor that Royal is building a pier at Coco Cay. That might create a challenge for the tender boats until the pier is constructed. Then, of course, they won't need tender boats once the much-needed pier is complete.

OK, that's one theory. Theory number two is in line with what an on board cruise sales rep told us in December that Celebrity would no longer go to Labadee. I was stricken because I really enjoy Labadee and Coco Cay. She told us so many passengers complained on the customer survey forms that they don't like the private "island" days.

The only idea I have in response is that those of us who really do appreciate Labadee and Coco Cay must let Celebrity know often and clearly that we demand these port calls be returned to Caribbean itineraries forthwith.

As far as Labadee goes, I'll be honest and say it wasn't the port I was looking forward to the most in the lead-up to our W.C. cruise, but we ended up really enjoying it a lot. Looking at future cruises later I was interested to see that Labadee was completely left off all upcoming W.C. itineraries (Falmouth, too), substituted with Key West, which doesn't interest me much because for me it's a domestic port, and Costa Maya (what's the point of a second Mexican port?). Glad I cruised that itinerary when I did. I would not have been keen to do it after this year.

A few years ago we sailed on the Allure of the Seas and we spent a wonderful day at Labadee.

It was not as great as Disney's Private Island but, it is my all time second ever favorite port day.

I look forward to visiting private islands for their easy beach days and would hate to stop getting to go to them.

We don't care for tendering so we did not get off the ship in Coco Cay. Happy to hear a pier is being built so that we can enjoy that island. We docked in Labadee during our January cruise on the Reflection. It is an easy beach day. It is a beautiful island and it was the highlight of our cruise. It was so nice to just walk off the ship and find a spot on the beach - much easier than having the get a taxi to the beach. Having clean bathroom facilities and a barbecue lunch added to the experience.

In one word........MONEY.

The cruise line makes so much money selling excursions at stops that they can't make up for it with a stop like a private island with little or a few excursions. I know that they own the island and sell drinks there, but they also sell drinks on board during a sea day, so there's no advantage to stopping for them. So if the weather is a little iffy, then they would rather keep you on board in lieu than chancing getting 3000+ people off and back on. (I know that they are building a pier).

Also, you can't forget that the cruise lines have a LARGE stake in a lot of the shops in these ports that sell jewelry, linens, t-shirts, etc. A lot of the recommended stores are partially owned by the cruise line or if not owned by the line, they get a large commission when they sell things to the cruise ship passengers.

Howard

I'm so glad OP started this thread, as I was wondering the exact same thing. LOVED Coco Cay on our recent W Caribbean itinerary and couldn't find it in 2018 or 2019 when looking to book another cruise.

I really hope it's due to pier construction vs removing it due to low guest rankings. (We did see bulldozers and construction way off in the distance when we were there last week - although not sure if that was for a pier or something else.)

Also, you can't forget that the cruise lines have a LARGE stake in a lot of the shops in these ports that sell jewelry, linens, t-shirts, etc. A lot of the recommended stores are partially owned by the cruise line or if not owned by the line, they get a large commission when they sell things to the cruise ship passengers.

Howard

Which stores would these be? In looking thru the financial statement that comes with the stock holder info, I can not find any retail stores listed as being owned by RCCL, nor a line item for misc kick backs for directing pax to a store.

It would be interesting to see just how much income this generates and how it is accounted for on the P & L.

Which stores would these be? In looking thru the financial statement that comes with the stock holder info, I can not find any retail stores listed as being owned by RCCL, nor a line item for misc kick backs for directing pax to a store.

It would be interesting to see just how much income this generates and how it is accounted for on the P & L.

THe next time you are in one of the "recommended " stores, you will hear the sales rep what ship you are on and they will hit a certain key on the register, designating that ship.

Also, when I was in Juneau, as I walked up the street I saw signs in shop windows stating "we do not kick back to the cruise lines"

The cruise line makes so much money selling excursions at stops that they can't make up for it with a stop like a private island with little or a few excursions. I know that they own the island and sell drinks there, but they also sell drinks on board during a sea day, so there's no advantage to stopping for them. So if the weather is a little iffy, then they would rather keep you on board in lieu than chancing getting 3000+ people off and back on. (I know that they are building a pier).

Howard

I'm not so sure about that. At Labadee, for example, the fees passengers pay for the zip line, the Dragon Coaster, the boat tours, cabana rentals, parasailing, jet skis, and so on must add up to a lot of income. The jet ski tours are non-stop all day long.

I realize maintenance and up keep on these private "islands" must be enormous, but a day there is a day in which the ship is not burning major fuel, some of the crew get a refreshing time off in a safe environment, drinks are sold both on board and at the island site, passengers feel safe, the equipment such as parasailing and zip line are very well maintained, often not so the much the case in other ports. It all seems worthwhile to me, but I haven't read the P&L statements to know.

Furthermore, the other major cruise lines appear to be creating their own private areas too. I doubt they would if it weren't both cost effective and attractive to their passengers.

As an aside, I wonder if Celebrity has ever considered having their very own private location, but I assume the investment for so few ships in the Caribbean year round would be prohibitive.

Howard

If the bottom line is money, why do the RCI ships go there? Parent company?

Private island stops are a license to print money from the cruise line's point of view. Not only does the line own everything, they get 100% of the cost of the excursions (less wages, equipment and running costs). There's also an area of shopping, which again, is 100% company owned. All of the drinks sold also count as profit (not everyone has a drinks package!).

Another factor is the fact that there is relatively little cost involved in stopping at the private island. Ships have to pay to dock (or tender) at any port on a per capita basis, which is obviously not the case if it's their own property.

RCCL does NOT own any of the recommended stores in other ports but it does take a payment from them to actually BE promoted by the ships. Also, something like 40% of the cost of independently run excursion booked through the line is profit for the cruise line.

I would guess that the limited stops for the foreseeable future is so they can get on with the building of the pier as it it probably much more difficult to tender from different parts of the island. It's far better to go elsewhere than to lose a stop due to weather (and have to refund all the excursion money already taken!).

We were at Labadee a few years ago and really enjoyed our day there. A few weeks ago, we visited Coco Cay and it was gorgeous! So many people just took up residence at the first beach we arrived at, they didn't even see the beaches beyond, which were even more gorgeous, mostly empty, with absolutely hundreds of available lounges. I assume this island was set up with the Oasis-class ships in mind, so when only one Celebrity ship is there, it's very quiet.

I hope Celebrity continues to offer visits to that beautiful island.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Howard

How much of this is assumption and verifiable? Can you quote any sources?

Howard

Kind of silly what you are saying. Why would they have private islands if they were not making money? Cruise lines have been adding private islands. They are a big money maker. They capture all the money at private islands.

The obvious reason why Celebrity won't be calling at Royal Caribbeans private islands is that Royal Caribbean will be taking over the slots with their own brand ships. The third Oasis Class ship is now in service, Harmony of the Seas. And a fourth is coming, Symphony of the Seas.

Kind of silly what you are saying. Why would they have private islands if they were not making money? Cruise lines have been adding private islands. They are a big money maker. They capture all the money at private islands.

The obvious reason why Celebrity won't be calling at Royal Caribbeans private islands is that Royal Caribbean will be taking over the slots with their own brand ships. The third Oasis Class ship is now in service, Harmony of the Seas. And a fourth is coming, Symphony of the Seas.

The Oasis class ships cannot tender so you won't see them at Coco Key until a dock is built. The dock at Labadee was constructed to accommodate Oasis class. I would imagine they are constructing the one at Coco Key so that they don't miss being able to go there because it is hit and miss at a tender port. We were able to go there but on our trip but we had seen here that they often were unable to tender because of the weather.

Money is definitely why they have "private islands". They control the space and all that goes on there. Any money spent goes directly to the cruise line opposed to at a regular port where someone goes and spends a day on the beach and no real money (except for excursions) goes to the cruise line.

The Oasis class ships cannot tender so you won't see them at Coco Key until a dock is built. The dock at Labadee was constructed to accommodate Oasis class. I would imagine they are constructing the one at Coco Key so that they don't miss being able to go there because it is hit and miss at a tender port. We were able to go there but on our trip but we had seen here that they often were unable to tender because of the weather.

I never made it to Coco Cay, missed it three times. That has been happening for years. Got to figure that they want the dock because of that but also for the Oasis class ships. Going from two of those to five would also be a reason to build a dock at Coco Cay. Not surprised that Celebrity will cease making regular calls and be replaced by Royal ships using the slots. Those two private islands are geared to Royal Caribbean.

Royal Caribbean has a 50 year lease on Labadee. So many ships have been built and they are building them larger and larger with more passengers. Only so many ships/people can go to the various ports of call at one time. As a result, the cruise lines are always looking for new ports of call. Royal tried stopping at Samana in the Dominican Republic but there were too many complaints about that stop.

Having the private islands means they can control the schedule of arrivals/departures from these islands. On Labadee we talked with our Cabana staffer and he said that Royal built the "town" a hospital and school. The cruise line and often passengers make contributions to the town such as sports equipment or musical instruments. The workers on the island get all of the leftover food from the day on the island.

Coco Cay is a lovely island but it is common that they have to bypass the island due to weather conditions. Seas can be too rough to tender. We have been to Coco Cay when 2 ships were on the island at the same time. Signs clearly indicated which tender dock served which ship. Now, as ships get larger, the island might be able to only handle one ship at a time. A pier would definitely make stops at the island a more regular event which in turn would mean more improvements to the island.

We have missed Coco Cay enough times that we do not want to sail on a ship with that port of call. I think the dock will help. We have always enjoyed Coco Cay when we did get off!

My brother-in-law has missed stops at Coco Cay so many times due to high waves and bad weather that he jokes Coco Cay is a myth and doesn't really exist. He says it is just a promise made to sell cruises; as a result he will no longer book any cruise with a stop at Coco Cay.

I have assured him lovely Coco Cay does in fact exist, but he has no patience with itineraries that include that stop.