What's the most useful thing you pack?

[... I just drill a hole through a bar of her favorite soap, run the rope through the hole and we are good to go.

Bob

4x4Bob you could be a relative of mine. My Dad has always done this. (even put the tv remote on a string and anchored it to his recliner when my sons were little and fascinated by the buttons).

A quick charger with multiple ports and LONG (six to ten-foot) cables for your Android and iOS devices. One cable per person is ideal. Even if you don't buy a data plan, you might still want to read a downloaded book (using the Kindle or Nook app), use the camera, etc. No sense in fighting over who gets to charge their device when you're in the cabin.

And if you're prone to heartburn or acid reflux, bring your own Prilosec/Zantac/whatever: the stuff they sell on board is literally $6 for a four-tablet container.

When my boyfriend got the tums he asked if it was a sample pack :')

Passport, wallet, , ipad. these are the items we double check prior to leaving home.

I used to think eyeglasses were important. Broke them in Chile and simply purchased a pair of readers for the balance of trip. Essentially everything else that we take can be easily replaced on our travels. We travel with carry on. Over the years we downsized items that we thought were must brings or extremely useful.

Edited by iancal

I pack my DH. He brings his usual helpful self so he goes and gets coffee. He carries all his money so he can give it to me. Otherwise if I leave him at home cos he gets this pissy attitude if I don't. :D

I always take my big tupperware cup because I drink water in the middle of the night. The grandchildren are also packed but they are not all that useful.

I pack my DH. He brings his usual helpful self so he goes and gets coffee. He carries all his money so he can give it to me. Otherwise if I leave him at home cos he gets this pissy attitude if I don't. :D

I always take my big tupperware cup because I drink water in the middle of the night. The grandchildren are also packed but they are not all that useful.

LIKE! I also love your CC Name. I always say, who want's to be normal? That's no fun. ;p

Erika

Fanny pack, I know it's gauche but they have new ones that are made for phones etc. Holds a bottle of water, sunscreen. If I carry a purse or a bag I'll lose it, guaranteed, plus my shoulder gets sore. It's harder to purse snatch. I can also loop the belt through a shopping bag and carry things hands free. Kinda like the lanyard, who cares what it looks like. If it works and I don't lose it, I'm good!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Forums mobile app

There are any number of standard items mentioned above that are on my cruise packing list, but I think the all time most important thing I take is a lightweight hooded waterproof windbreaker. It protects me when it's rainy or windy, and fits loosely enough that I can add multiple layers under it depending on how cool/cold it is. It goes with me whether I am cruising in the Caribbean, Alaska, South America, or Europe. And it takes up almost no space in my luggage.

There are any number of standard items mentioned above that are on my cruise packing list, but I think the all time most important thing I take is a lightweight hooded waterproof windbreaker. It protects me when it's rainy or windy, and fits loosely enough that I can add multiple layers under it depending on how cool/cold it is. It goes with me whether I am cruising in the Caribbean, Alaska, South America, or Europe. And it takes up almost no space in my luggage.

Considering the down pours out of no where on the Islands..this is a great idea. Could have used one many, many times. :cool:

What are the zip locks for?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carrying Zip locks is a tip I got YEARS ago on CC and it's the only thing that I 100% have since then ALWAYS packed. They are invaluable. I pack them in several sizes in the front pocket of my carry-on. I use them for (1) damp swimsuits for packing when we leave (2) To slide a plate of food in, like cheese crackers, etc. from the buffet to slip into the mini-fridge to enjoy on the balcony with a bottle of wine late at night (or any other snack). (3) a change of clothes (especially for an infant or toddler) to carry on an excursion. In fact, my daughter used to put each of my Grandson's outfits in a zip-lock so she could just pull out a zip lock matched and ready to go to the shower with him. When she took the dirty outfit off, it went into the zip lock where the clean outfit was, marked a X with a sharpie so that it could be put back into the suitcase so that dirty and clean clothes never got mixed up and so that his things were already partially packed when it came to the last day/night. (4) To put all your loose items in, inside the room safe. Keeps anything small, like a ring or a key from getting overlooked and left when you leave the cruise (5) Small bills in the desk drawer ready for room service tips I also keep a zip lock with the cash for the shuttle driver to the port,and the porters at the port. (5) Zip lock in the safe with money for vendor of private excursion, along with the confirmation, with the name of the port or vendor written on the outside of the zip lock. No scrambling when you get up that morning to head out. Just grab the ziplock with the information and money for the excursion. VERY helpful to us on our Med cruises. (6) Any liquid item in your luggage that could leak or get broken in your luggage. They even have 3 gal zip-locks. Bubble wrap a bottle of wine, stick it in the zip lock to be on the safe side. Lotions and aerosol bottles go in zip locks for the same reason. Leakage. (7) Shoes. My shoes won't be touching my clean clothes. (8) undies and small items you can compress all the air out of to pack that won't get wrinkled and get more into the suitcase. Using this method, we were able to use only a carry on for a 4 day cruise in December. (9) Electronics and cords. (10) I toss a zip-lock with tissues in it in whatever bag i carry on excursions. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a public restroom that didn't have any tissue. At a beautiful garden in Italy, I could have SOLD those tissues instead of giving them away to everyone inside the restroom that was devoid of ANY tissue or even paper towels. Best tip I've ever gotten on this board.

I have learned to always pack multiple "purse packs" of Kleenex. I dislike the harsh tissues that are provided by the cruise line .... They seem to be rather thin and not very absorbent, and are too scratchy when my nose gets tender from frequent blowing if I catch cold. They're also very useful in case I happen to use a public restroom and find there's no bathroom tissue, or am in a place where users are expected to purchase said tissue from a bathroom attendant. Packing is no concern because they're small and soft and can be tucked in any little space.

The MOST useful to me: my passport, my wallet, and all my travel documents and notes.

Just about anything else is replaceable.

However, if you're looking for tips on "just in case" items, I usually toss a few Cliff bars (or something similar) in my suitcase. I often go off on my own when cruising and may be at some remote archaeological site come lunchtime. Also they have come in handy when flying overseas and the flight attendants 1) have to stop serving dinner due to turbulence for several hours or 2) run out of the only edible dinner option before they reach you.

Ginger tablets and candied ginger in case of rough seas. And if sailing in a balcony in Northern Europe in summer, a sleep mask.

I'm starting to worry now - a sleep mask in Northern Europe? Why there specifically? We are doing western med - should we also be looking at one?