First Time Cruise Problem

Hey all! Firstly, thanks in advance for any helpful responses I get here!

I just got back from my first cruise with my fiance. We were having a great time until the 3rd day. After arriving back on the ship from a port, we went straight to our cabin to take a nap. We were woken up with a phone call not long after. Figuring it was probably a wrong number, we ignored it. The phone rang again in 30min or so. This time, I answered, and they asked me to go to guest services.

I went directly to guest services to ask what was going on, and the front desk lady had no idea. Right after that, I was surrounded by security and asked to follow them. They brought me into the security office, and once again I asked what was going on. They proceeded to tell me that a kid accused 'someone that looked like me' of saying something inappropriate to them at the spa area. I told them that I hadn't even been in the spa the entire time I was on the ship, and that they should check the cameras because I got on the boat and went directly to my cabin.

The apologized to me and let me resume my cruise, but the whole experience left me shaken. I felt like a criminal for no reason, and I was worried some parent might try to cause me harm for something I didn't do. To say the least, this completely ruined my experience at no fault of mine.

My question to everyone here is - what would you do in this situation and what would you expect the cruise line to do to make it right? There are cameras everywhere. I assumed they were all working (maybe not?). They shouldn't be able to pull people into security offices unless they have good reason... not based on a kids description and check-in photos.

Thanks again for your time and help.

I can't give you legal advice, except to say that this could come back to haunt you even years later, and you should find out whether or not the cruiseline documented the alleged incident. Ergo, you need a lawyer for your own wellbeing and peace of mind.

Also, I would NOT request compensation of any kind right now, for fear they could turn this into something major. I am dead serious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got back from my first cruise with my fiance. We were having a great time until the 3rd day. After arriving back on the ship from a port, we went straight to our cabin to take a nap. We were woken up with a phone call not long after. Figuring it was probably a wrong number, we ignored it. The phone rang again in 30min or so. This time, I answered, and they asked me to go to guest services.

I went directly to guest services to ask what was going on, and the front desk lady had no idea. Right after that, I was surrounded by security and asked to follow them. They brought me into the security office, and once again I asked what was going on. They proceeded to tell me that a kid accused 'someone that looked like me' of saying something inappropriate to them at the spa area. I told them that I hadn't even been in the spa the entire time I was on the ship, and that they should check the cameras because I got on the boat and went directly to my cabin.

The apologized to me and let me resume my cruise, but the whole experience left me shaken. I felt like a criminal for no reason, and I was worried some parent might try to cause me harm for something I didn't do. To say the least, this completely ruined my experience at no fault of mine.

My question to everyone here is - what would you do in this situation and what would you expect the cruise line to do to make it right? There are cameras everywhere. I assumed they were all working (maybe not?). They shouldn't be able to pull people into security offices unless they have good reason... not based on a kids description and check-in photos.

While I am sure it was startling and I am sorry this happened, only you can decide what needs to be done, as long as they did not continue to harass, I would not bother with it myself, but nobody can really answer for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

I can't give you legal advice, except to say that this could come back to haunt you even years later, and you should find out whether or not the cruiseline documented the alleged incident. Ergo, you need a lawyer for your own wellbeing and peace of mind.

Also, I would NOT request compensation of any kind right now, for fear they could turn this into something major. I am dead serious.

Thankfully I have plenty of friends and family that are lawyers. How could they turn it into something major? I didn't do anything! Are they going to admit to everyone that their cameras don't work? Thank you for your response.

I would do exactly as you did - continue on with my cruise. You received an apology, what more do you want? Mistakes happen.

I want to not be accused of something and feel like a criminal for the entire 2nd half of my trip for something I didn't do. What are the cameras there for if stuff like this can happen? Thank you for your response.

Edited by caliguy415

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Thank you!

While I am sure it was startling and I am sorry this happened, only you can decide what needs to be done, as long as they did not continue to harass, I would not bother with it myself, but nobody can really answer for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Thanks, and this is most likely what I will do, but I wanted to ask more experienced cruisers like the people here.

Any time a minor accuses an adult of ANYTHING, you want to know what the details are. That minor could repeat the allegation to a family member or another adult, who could overreact. So you want to know what you are supposed to have said. Even if it never happened. Even if you were never in the spa.

It shouldn't take too much legwork to figure out if security kept a file on you, and request disclosure if they did. This may be nothing - but I'd want to know.

Any time a minor accuses an adult of ANYTHING, you want to know what the details are. That minor could repeat the allegation to a family member or another adult, who could overreact. So you want to know what you are supposed to have said.

100% agree. That's the first thing I asked them. They wouldn't tell me. I explained to them exactly as you said... I don't want some random adult coming up and physically harming me.

edit: apparently, I was one of at least 2 people that they questioned. I also asked to see the pictures of the others, and they refused that as well.

Since you checked out NS back on at a verifiable time with the sea pass card, I would be more than curious if you were accused at a time when you weren't on board. Also every shepherd has a more than abundant set of cameras all over the ship. They can tell when particular passenger enters their cabin or passageway so the burden should be on them to do due diligence to find the guilty party. I'd want more than just "sorry".

Since you checked out NS back on at a verifiable time with the sea pass card, I would be more than curious if you were accused at a time when you weren't on board. Also every shepherd has a more than abundant set of cameras all over the ship. They can tell when particular passenger enters their cabin or passageway so the burden should be on them to do due diligence to find the guilty party. I'd want more than just "sorry".

And I also welcome you to Cruise Critic :evilsmile::halo:

Thank you. I also said that to them. 'I was at the port. Can't you see when I took the ferry back and when I checked back in, as well as track me all the way back to my cabin?' Apparently they don't have that capability, which is slightly concerning from a security standpoint.

At the VERY least, they should have been able to see that I never made it to the spa area, since it would have required super common areas such as either elevators or stairs. I guess some (or a lot) of those cameras are just for show.

Edited by caliguy415

First welcome to cruise critic. Second, I would write to corporate and say just what you said here. That this really scared you and they gave no explanation. I'm sure we all understand that when a minor says something we have to pay attention but since you where at port they should be able to see when you came back and when you entered your room. The key cards have a record of when they are used. I wouldn't ask for anything just tell them what happened and you just don't want to see anyone else go through this as it was scary. They will probably do something for you anyways. I hope you continue to cruise.

First welcome to cruise critic. Second, I would write to corporate and say just what you said here. That this really scared you and they gave no explanation. I'm sure we all understand that when a minor says something we have to pay attention but since you where at port they should be able to see when you came back and when you entered your room. The key cards have a record of when they are used. I wouldn't ask for anything just tell them what happened and you just don't want to see anyone else go through this as it was scary. They will probably do something for you anyways. I hope you continue to cruise.

Thank you! This is great advice and sounds extremely reasonable.

It sounds like they had a complaint, they reviewed the tapes and saw the alleged incident with the minor child and saw the adult, they reviewed the photos on the Seapass cards for possible matches, they called down a couple of people whose photos looked like the person in the video, they questioned you and quickly realized that you were not the person they were looking for and you were sent on your way. All part of a proper investigation.

If it was your daughter who was involved I would bet that you would be glad that Royal was taking it seriously and doing what is necessary to find the proper person.

Depending on the angle and quality of the video and the quality of the Seapass photos it us not surprising that they may have to interview several people.

It sounds like they had a complaint, they reviewed the tapes and saw the alleged incident with the minor child and saw the adult, they reviewed the photos on the Seapass cards for possible matches, they called down a couple of people whose photos looked like the person in the video, they questioned you and quickly realized that you were not the person they were looking for and you were sent on your way. All part of a proper investigation.

If it was your daughter who was involved I would bet that you would be glad that Royal was taking it seriously and doing what is necessary to find the proper person.

Depending on the angle and quality of the video and the quality of the Seapass photos it us not surprising that they may have to interview several people.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. While you make good points, as others mentioned, shouldn't they be able to check the times on my card when I got on the boat and went to my cabin?

I can't see an issue, it's unfortunate, but seems you and the description the kid gave were similar. (You might look nothing like the actual person but like the description).

What should security do, ignore the issue? I'm sure then there'd be some complaints.

I can't see an issue, it's unfortunate, but seems you and the description the kid gave were similar. (You might look nothing like the actual person but like the description).

What should security do, ignore the issue? I'm sure then there'd be some complaints.

I guess the way they handled it is my problem. Instead of calling me, vaguely summoning me to guest services, surrounding me with security in front of guest services (with a lot of fellow passengers around) and asking me to go to some secret room, which super sketched me out and made me look like I did something wrong to all those people who saw... could they not have simply knocked on my door and talked to me there in private?

I know these things happen and it is upsetting if the accused is not guilty. It must be terrible for the parents and the child if it is correct. I sometimes wonder if people plane these incidents hopeing for some "gifts" from the company as compensation.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. While you make good points, as others mentioned, shouldn't they be able to check the times on my card when I got on the boat and went to my cabin?

You never mentioned specific times, only that you were off the boat for a period of time. Perhaps the complaint was from a time that you were in the boat.

I guess the way they handled it is my problem. Instead of calling me, vaguely summoning me to guest services, surrounding me with security in front of guest services (with a lot of fellow passengers around) and asking me to go to some secret room, which super sketched me out and made me look like I did something wrong to all those people who saw... could they not have simply knocked on my door and talked to me there in private?

what they did was common procedure. I don't see that they did a single thing wrong. Your actual inconvenience was so small to be hardly worth mentioning. They responded to a potentially dangerous child predator on board with a quick response to investigate.

Can you for just a minute think about the potential danger to children on board rather than the few minutes of your time they took?

On land police could have taken you in to the police station for questioning for a similar situation. It happens, be glad they have cameras that cleared you from suspicion.

I know these things happen and it is upsetting if the accused is not guilty. It must be terrible for the parents and the child if it is correct. I sometimes wonder if people plane these incidents hopeing for some "gifts" from the company as compensation.

Good point. I hadn't even considered that.

what they did was common procedure. I don't see that they did a single thing wrong. Your actual inconvenience was so small to be hardly worth mentioning. They responded to a potentially dangerous child predator on board with a quick response to investigate.

Can you for just a minute think about the potential danger to children on board rather than the few minutes of your time they took?

On land police could have taken you in to the police station for questioning for a similar situation. It happens, be glad they have cameras that cleared you from suspicion.

Has this happened to you before on a cruise? Do you know what it feels like? I can totally understand it happening on land, but this was supposed to be a vacation where I paid to enjoy a few days of peace and serenity with my fiance. Maybe I had the wrong expectations.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Add that suggestion to your letter to corporate.

I can understand this being very distressing for you. As a former foster carer, we were trained to ensure that we were never in a situation that left us open to accusation. But many people would not have known that such things could happen out of the blue. I hope they worked out who the perpetrator was.