Self Serve Laundry aboard Viking Ocean Ships

60andhappy

I didn't use a dryer sheet and my laundry was a-ok.  Anyone know if the detergent includes a fabric softener? 

Edit:  Upthread Peregrina says there is no fabric softener from the automatic dispenser. 

Edited by zitsky

17 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes it is scented.  Extra rinse didn't help.  If you must bring your own, it should be HE compatible. 

Speaking of allergies, those of us who do have allergies would prefer that people don't use fabric softeners in the machines as the product lingers, especially dryer sheets. 

We use unscented dryer sheets. Would that be a problem for folks with allergies?

29 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

We use unscented dryer sheets. Would that be a problem for folks with allergies?

For yes and for others no.  My dermatologist gave me a list of products that I should use and the  list specifically said that there was no fabric softener that was safe. Fragrance aren't the only ingredients that maybe allergens. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

Does the laundry detergent bother you or does the rinse do a good job of getting rid of any smell/irritant? 

There is a double rinse option (which I use even at home). The smell still lingers-- and that is what gets to me. We just got home and I can't wait to wash the lingering fragrance out of my clothing.

The detergent used on board the ship has to meet two standards: it must be HE so it won't clog up the washing machines and it must be green/eco-friendly.

9 hours ago, NeonZebra said:

I found unscented laundry sheets with softener included!

If I had a choice, I would rather see people using fabric softeners in the washing machines (where multiple washes and rinses will remove it) than dryer sheets of any kind, because the stuff on the sheets can build up on the dryer drum.

Maybe the best solution to the dilemma is for Viking to declare at least one set of machines on each floor as "allergy-free/ no fabric softeners or dryer sheets allowed" AND to start using an unscented low-risk laundry detergent (that is also HE and eco-friendly) in the launderettes, if not ship wide.

• Like 2

Considering that I ended up with someone else's laundry in my load, let me make the following suggestings:

Before you put your clothing in to the washer, check to make sure that it is  completely empty by spinning the wash tub with you hand. Small items will defy gravity and stick to the drum.

After you empty your load, spin the wash tub to make sure that you have gotten everything you put in.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Considering that I ended up with someone else's laundry in my load, let me make the following suggestings:

Before you put your clothing in to the washer, check to make sure that it is  completely empty by spinning the wash tub with you hand. Small items will defy gravity and stick to the drum.

After you empty your load, spin the wash tub to make sure that you have gotten everything you put in.

Good advice, thank you.  Front load machines sometimes like to "eat" socks and hide them at the rubber/silicone gasket area at the front.  I check mine at home and have found sometimes.

I'm not sure if it would remove the detergent fragrance, but vodka sprayed on clothes removes a lot of odors.  I use it like Febreeze, and when it dries there is no smell rather than a perfume smell.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:09 AM, H2Otstr said:

4952b0a6d977d3933a4583ed475943ef.jpg

Here is the photo of the soap dispensing machine. You press the button and it dispenses the detergent into the washing machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As long as you remember to push the detergent button.  lol!!!!!

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

Good advice, thank you.  Front load machines sometimes like to "eat" socks and hide them at the rubber/silicone gasket area at the front.  I check mine at home and have found sometimes.

I'm not sure if it would remove the detergent fragrance, but vodka sprayed on clothes removes a lot of odors.  I use it like Febreeze, and when it dries there is no smell rather than a perfume smell.

Yes, I was taught by a fellow traveler to feel along the front edge where you can't even see. 

There is a covered container with a round hole in the laundry room for lost items. It looks like a trash container but is actually for socks and other small items. You should put things you found there and search for your missing items there. The real trash container is just an open waste basket that is useful for the lint you empty from the dryer after you use it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

There is a double rinse option (which I use even at home). The smell still lingers-- and that is what gets to me. We just got home and I can't wait to wash the lingering fragrance out of my clothing.

The detergent used on board the ship has to meet two standards: it must be HE so it won't clog up the washing machines and it must be green/eco-friendly.

If I had a choice, I would rather see people using fabric softeners in the washing machines (where multiple washes and rinses will remove it) than dryer sheets of any kind, because the stuff on the sheets can build up on the dryer drum.

Maybe the best solution to the dilemma is for Viking to declare at least one set of machines on each floor as "allergy-free/ no fabric softeners or dryer sheets allowed" AND to start using an unscented low-risk laundry detergent (that is also HE and eco-friendly) in the launderettes, if not ship wide.

That would be a good solution and cover any laundry sent out also. My allergies are not so severe with laundry products but I do not like any scented products and can't understand why anyone else does. 

19 minutes ago, Small is better said:

That would be a good solution and cover any laundry sent out also. My allergies are not so severe with laundry products but I do not like any scented products and can't understand why anyone else does. 

Same reason people like perfume.  To smell nice.  But some people over do it.

I'll just add... Please do not bring your own liquid soap or liquid fabric softener. I am sure at Viking has choosen their soap to meet specific (possibly even legal) ecological goals.  Many Viking ships travel in eco-sensitive areas, like Glacier Bay National Park or the Amazon.  I'm sure there are both ecologial and mechanical reasons why they chose what they chose. 

I was planning on bringing my own dryer sheets... but have now decided I can certainly do with out. A little static electricity can be shaken out when folding... or if a skirt is sticking to my leggings I can run a damp wash cloth over it lightly and that should alliviate the problem.  I had not considered that my dryersheets might cause allergic reactions for the person using the dryer after me...

Edited by Liz Masterson
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Small is better said:

I also prefer no scent, but there are certain softeners/detergents that evoke comforting memories of childhood when I smell fabrics that had them used.

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

Same reason people like perfume.  To smell nice.  But some people over do it.

Yes, but "smell nice" is another one of those subjective things and what one person thinks smells nice makes me sick in my stomach -- and I mean literally not figuratively. That is how I react to certain fragrances. It may smell delightful to the wearer but, me, I'm trying to get away from that person just as quickly as I can --and the person does not even need to overdo it, even the smallest whiff will set me off when it is the wrong scent.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I may be late to this conversation, but I always use wool dryer balls (Amazon). I pack 2 and they have no scent and reduce static electricity. About the size of tennis balls so easy to squeeze into luggage and “toss” at the end of our cruise.

Edited by Karry66

On 1/14/2020 at 3:06 PM, Peregrina651 said:

I put my socks in a lingerie bag. Washing machines don't find them as appetizing as socks. 😉

This is a great idea!  My last cruise, as I was folding my laundry back in my room I bought back 5 socks, took 8.  I went racing back to the laundry room, just as someone was throwing laundry into the dryer I had just vacated.  I was able to find my 3 missing socks in his dryer.  

And I let the lingerie bag do double duty. I always make sure that there is a change of underwear and a clean shirt in our "personal" items, just in case we get separated from our suitcases, and I pack them in the lingerie bags.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

I personally have no problem at all with whatever scent is left on my clothes.  And I have a very acute sense of smell.  I'll notice and get bugged by stuff my husband doesn't notice at all and thinks I'm a little bonkers. By the way -- I totally agree with Peregrina when it comes to ensuring you don't acquire somebody else's orphans or leave any behind. I give both the dryer and the washer a complete spin to see what drops and fish around in the front for the little things that seem to get caught there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Karry66 said:

I may be late to this conversation, but I always use wool dryer balls (Amazon). I pack 2 and they have no scent and reduce static electricity. About the size of tennis balls so easy to squeeze into luggage and “toss” at the end of our cruise.

Wow, I just ordered a package from Amazon. What a great idea. Thanks!

• Like 1