Lifeguards added to NCL

casper106

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/16737-norwegian-to-add-lifeguards-to-fleet.html

I wonder if this is something that the other cruise lines will start doing.

They are on the Oasis Class Royal ships already. Started earlier this year. No mean feat given there are 5 pools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My concern is where they are going to be housed. There are not an infinite number of crew cabins. To assign these people to cabins, someone else has to go. Fewer cabin stewards, waiters, front desk people...? EM

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/16737-norwegian-to-add-lifeguards-to-fleet.html

I wonder if this is something that the other cruise lines will start doing.

Probably not Celebrity. Disney, Royal, and NCL all cater mostly to families. I can understand the addition of lifeguards on these ships. But not on Celebrity, which isn't such a draw for families with young children.

They are on the Oasis Class Royal ships already. Started earlier this year. No mean feat given there are 5 pools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, there were lifeguards manning each pool on Allure of the Seas a few weeks ago. I was very impressed with how attentive and professional they were. I think it's a great idea.

Cruising on the Allure of the Seas last month with 5 grandchildren, I was most appreciative of the extra pair of eyes at each pool. Clearly the risk factor is far higher on these ships, however, and I doubt that Celebrity would have the same liability concerns.

As for crew accommodation, the RCI Oasis class has double the number of crew members compared to the Celebrity S-Class, so squeezing in a small number of lifeguards was probably not an issue.

Do you really think they are adding headcount for a non revenue adding position?

Maybe the reduction in liability insurance premiums offset any potential revenue from other crew positions. Plus, I'm sure that more than a few parents wandered off to buy a drink or two, knowing that the lifeguards were there.

Maybe the reduction in liability insurance premiums offset any potential revenue from other crew positions. Plus, I'm sure that more than a few parents wandered off to buy a drink or two, knowing that the lifeguards were there.

It is a well known fact that big companies are self insured up to a high limit and then any third party insurance will take over. Where I worked the number was $5,000,000 and it wasn't as near as big as the cruise lines. If that is the fact, 0 savings on premiums. If indeed there will be lifeguards, I would expect there would be an equal cut in some other area such as housekeeping, bar staff, etc.

It would be interesting to find out how many incidences have occurred that would have been prevented or the seriousness lessened if there were a certified lifeguard on duty, not just someone with a whistle.

It is a well known fact that big companies are self insured up to a high limit and then any third party insurance will take over. Where I worked the number was $5,000,000 and it wasn't as near as big as the cruise lines. If that is the fact, 0 savings on premiums. If indeed there will be lifeguards, I would expect there would be an equal cut in some other area such as housekeeping, bar staff, etc.

It would be interesting to find out how many incidences have occurred that would have been prevented or the seriousness lessened if there were a certified lifeguard on duty, not just someone with a whistle.

Self insurance still comes with a cost. You can employee lifeguards for many years for far less than the payout for a single swimming pool death where the ship is deemed liable. I would be very surprised if the drowning of a child last year on the Anthem of the Seas didn't contribute to RCI's decision.

We used to do a lot of traveling and have stayed at over 50 hotels, all of them major chains, and have not once stayed at one with a lifeguard. We live in a gated community with four different pools and again no lifeguard at any one of them. We never left our kids alone around a pool, it's called being a responsible adult.They all have signs saying "No Lifeguard on Duty, swim at your own risk". If it was such a big financial risk, they would have lifeguards.

My concern is where they are going to be housed.

That's your concern? Your plate must be very empty to take that on... :confused:

I personally do not feel they are required on Celebrity; let the responsible parties, not the cruise line, look out for their own!

Anthem has them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's your concern? Your plate must be very empty to take that on... :confused:

I personally do not feel they are required on Celebrity; let the responsible parties, not the cruise line, look out for their own!

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2017/03/articles/drownings/drowning-on-the-anthem-of-the-seas/

Not just about unattended children, it's about getting into a bucket of water and being responsible adults with their own drinking, medication, abilities, whatever.

The most recent alleged incident aboard Anthem occurred while a lifeguard was on duty.

I am biased. All three of our sons were lifeguards when they were teenagers. All three have saved at least one person's life while on duty. So increasing job opportunities for people with this very valuable skill set is welcome in my books.

It is just a fact of life (and sadly, death) that humans and water do not mix. So if each ship has a few extra lifeguards and a few less waiters, that's OK with me. I'd rather wait a little longer for my Death in the Afternoon cocktail than have anyone experience an actual one in the pool.:(

I am sure that many parents (and grandparents) will take note of which ships have lifeguards and it may influence their cruising choice.

(y)(y)(y) ^^^ T H I S ! ^^^ (y)(y)(y)

I certainly hope you are correct!