Crew member missing on Liberty ?

I was on Explorer in 2010 when a crew member went overboard. The ship circled for many, many hours and the Captain actually asked the passengers to look and see if they coukd spot him. Eventually the Coast Guard arrived and we went on our way. I don't believe they found him. So very sad.

Navigator had a female crew member who never returned to the ship from a port call in Bonaire. Seems likely she was still in Bonaire. How long do they wait before moving along if a crew member fails to return to the ship in port? would they have searched for her or alerted the local authorities to do it?

Sounds like the Liberty incident involves a male crew member missing at sea.

Navigator had a female crew member who never returned to the ship from a port call in Bonaire. Seems likely she was still in Bonaire. How long do they wait before moving along if a crew member fails to return to the ship in port? would they have searched for her or alerted the local authorities to do it?

Sounds like the Liberty incident involves a male crew member missing at sea.

Passengers get left behind so would assume they'd notify local police and sail on... Hopefully she just decided not to return and no foul play...

Life on a ship is not easy for crew...be they ship crew or hotel crew. Months away from your family, living in tight quarters, working long hours, limited time on land, and on a ship like the Liberty, never sleeping on a non moving ship. The vast majority of the folks populating a ship are only there for one reason...the $$$$. They are not on a vacation nor there for a week or two, like you and most would rather be somewhere else. For whatever reason, life got to be too much for this young man, and without a family support system, this was the result. From all reports, he was a bartender who was a nice young man. Sad, but probably a factor of working on a ship for months at a time.

Life on a ship is not easy for crew...be they ship crew or hotel crew. Months away from your family, living in tight quarters, working long hours, limited time on land, and on a ship like the Liberty, never sleeping on a non moving ship. The vast majority of the folks populating a ship are only there for one reason...the $$$$. They are not on a vacation nor there for a week or two, like you and most would rather be somewhere else. For whatever reason, life got to be too much for this young man, and without a family support system, this was the result. From all reports, he was a bartender who was a nice young man. Sad, but probably a factor of working on a ship for months at a time.

is it fair to assume he jumped rather than fell off in an accident? I don't like to speculate about these things having strangers speculating has to be painful for the family.

is it fair to assume he jumped rather than fell off in an accident? I don't like to speculate about these things having strangers speculating has to be painful for the family.

Considering how high the rails are, it's doesn't appear to me that it would be very easy to "fall" overboard. I was on this sailing and from what I have heard, they speculate that he jumped, but like has already been mentioned, we may never know. It just makes me so sad.

As 1interpreter mentioned, they do think he jumped. I saw a ******** that someone posted for his family that states he did jump. We were on board also and they came over the speakers at 3:15am and apologized for waking us and asked that he call guest services. I know the last time he was seen on the cameras was 1:30, so maybe that is why we did not stop or turn around? Since they don't really know when he went over? I will say though, with the staff, you would have never known anything had happened, they went about their jobs like normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once we were on our cruise. I had ordered a shirt for my husband and they gave him the wrong size. They told us as we left the port to return it once the shops opened. He was trying on the shirts, I was waiting with the store clerk. She began to cry. I asked her what was wrong and she told me she and her boyfriend has just broken up but they were both on the ship working. She said she called her parents and told them she was coming home and they were angry at her because she would break her contract. I felt so bad I just stood there and cried with her. It broke my heart.

Once we were on our cruise. I had ordered a shirt for my husband and they gave him the wrong size. They told us as we left the port to return it once the shops opened. He was trying on the shirts, I was waiting with the store clerk. She began to cry. I asked her what was wrong and she told me she and her boyfriend has just broken up but they were both on the ship working. She said she called her parents and told them she was coming home and they were angry at her because she would break her contract. I felt so bad I just stood there and cried with her. It broke my heart.

Poor thing.

As 1interpreter mentioned, they do think he jumped. I saw a ******** that someone posted for his family that states he did jump. We were on board also and they came over the speakers at 3:15am and apologized for waking us and asked that he call guest services. I know the last time he was seen on the cameras was 1:30, so maybe that is why we did not stop or turn around? Since they don't really know when he went over? I will say though, with the staff, you would have never known anything had happened, they went about their jobs like normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember waking up to the announcement but I wasn't fully awake, but did think it was odd to be making an announcement at that time. At first I just figured that maybe it was a teen who broke curfew, but when I found out I put two and two together.