Any tips on packing without wrinkling your clothes?

sturderick

I am looking for any tips people may have to cut down on wrinkles in clothes. I know a lot of people never iron so don't hate on me, but I hate wrinkled clothes. I typically visit the laundry room at least 2 or 3 times to iron while on the ship and send my dresses out to be pressed. I roll my clothes to make more room and that does not help. Help me save some time and possibly money!!!

Please and thank you :).

Bundled packing works great too. Lots of how to videos on youtube and ehow.

Adding: You can practice these techniques before hand to get the hang of it and see how they work for your fabric. But do pack a small travel size bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release.

Make sure your stuff is packed tight. Movement creates wrinkles.

We pack in cubes and folders. For DH's shirts I'll fold them then place them in a folder, alternating necklines. Then securing the folder tightly. Never a wrinkle. The folder might move but the clothes won't shift. Instead of a folder, could bundle wrap. Lots of videos online. Use the tie downs in the suitcase.

Another idea is to wear fabrics that do not wrinkle.

I roll my shirts. I take great care to smooth out any wrinkles as I'm rolling. I can take them out of the luggage, put 'em on a shelf in the wall locker still rolled up, and they'll be wrinkle free, even after sitting for days. Collared shirts are a little trickier. Sometimes I'll just go ahead and fold those or roll 'em up to the collar and stop. Whatever works at the time. Obviously denim pants/shorts aren't very easy to roll, so I don't worry about those. For my khakis, I tend to fold them in half and lay them on the bottom or top as wrinkle-free as I can get. Never had too much of a problem with them. I'll hang 'em as soon as we get there.

I've heard a lot about people who hang wrinkled clothes in the bathroom, crank the shower on hot, and close the door. I've never tried it.

I use space bags, iron everything first and place in bag, take all the air out and the item doesn't move around. The only drawback to these bags is they compress everything so much your suitcase will hold more and therefore weight more.

Yep.....everybody that "rolls" has it figured out. When I started cruising I would take 2 big pieces of luggage just for me. 12 yrs later my hubby and I both take a suitcase that qualifies as a carryon. If I would unzip the expander it would not!

I roll everything. And I cut WAY back on shoes. We are platinum and can go to our room right away to drop off luggage.

I HATE waiting at the terminal for our luggage. Some airports take almost 30 minutes!!

Just my opinion:

The most important element is packing wrinkle free is the type of material. For example, I love linen. I love the look, the feel and that it is breathable but would never choose it for travel. You only have to look at it and it is wrinkled. And it takes some serious iron time to get those wrinkles gone. So I don't care how cute the linen capris are, they don't get a cruise.

I also like to pack with the bundle method. Most of the garments lay flat and those that don't have gentle bends which tend not to wrinkle. You really need to be sure every wrinkle is smoothed out as you pack. It does take me longer to pack with this method but in the long run it is worth it. I have time at home. I don't want to spend any more of my vacation ironing than absolutely necessary.

As soon as the suitcases arrive, hubby and I spend some quality time unpacking. Everything is hung, sometimes several items on the same hanger. We pick the next days items and they go into the bathroom with a hot shower. If needed, I will iron tomorrows "formal" night clothing. The lines are way too long the next day.

When all else fails, remember we all understand your clothing spent some time squished in a suit case and wrinkles are just sometimes part of travel.

This is the absolute best method I've found. I no longer use the tissue paper, but the placement of the clothing and how they're folded in on each other is key to preventing wrinkles.

This is the method I use (without the tissue paper). Learned it from Delta airlines at a travel show back in the 70s. Classics never die! And it works well!

This is the absolute best method I've found. I no longer use the tissue paper, but the placement of the clothing and how they're folded in on each other is key to preventing wrinkles.

I was completely worn out by the time she finished the beige jacket. No way will I stress this much about a few wrinkles. Downey and a bit of a steam and I'm done.Please excuse my wrinkles.

Over time, I've learned to spot items that are out of the type of material that can be scrunched into a ball and comes out wrinkle free. These are my go to cruise clothes. Some sort of jersey blend, i think.The other things that shows up a few wrinkles get a few squirts of Downey or steamed in the bathroom. A wrinkle or two doesn't stress me out anyway.

This is the method I use (without the tissue paper). Learned it from Delta airlines at a travel show back in the 70s. Classics never die! And it works well!
They used more tissue paper in one packed suitcase than I have in my entire life. There's no way I'd want to deal with all that paper...packing or unpacking. :o

Depending on where we are going and how we are getting there dictates how I pack. If flying its rolling and ziplock bags into 2 carry-ons. If driving than everything goes on hangers and into a 26in suitcase. I get one or two boxes of large trash can liners from the $ store cut a hole in the top seam and slip them over the hanging clothes. Usually one or max two pieces of clothing in each bag, lay them vertically into the suitcase, alternating each hanger. At the end I just fold in the arms, fold over the top hangers and than fold the bottom hangers.into the case. Kind of like the bundling method. Then I fill in the empty corners in the case with the rest of our stuff. When we get onboard all I need to do is take out the hanging stuff and put it in the closet. Takes 5 minutes and clothes are almost wrinkle free. For the few pieces that have some wrinkles Downy Wrinkle Release does the trick.

We travel with 20 inch carry on rollerboards. For a week, or for three months. This means that we have to deal with a clothing challenge based on a limited amount of space and weight.

We need clothes that are wrinkle free, or clothes that will loose most of their wrinkles after they are hung in the closet for a few hours. Same with hand washing. We need clothes that repell the dirt, wash easily, and hang to dry without being overly wrinkled.

We shop very carefully for this type and style of clothing. It can be difficult to find we we now have the hang of it. So all of those fabrics that do not travel well simply remain at home in the closet. Some travel stores carry this product but it often tends to be overpriced. We can find what we want on line and in b&M stores.

So we don't roll our clothes, don't take any commercial product to eliminate wrinkles. There are times when we do need an iron and we simply borrow one. Not an issue for us on the type of cruises that we take...usually 10-20 days.