More discrimination

• 8 months later...

Are we Aussies geting a rough deal again? I received a CC email with Celebrity Solstice specials which looked very attractive.

eg Alaska Cruise from Seattle starting at USD674 with a box to click "See Deal".

So I click on the box to see the deal and it comes up with 3 cruises 2 of which are Alaska Tracey Arm. One is priced at AUD1778 (reduced from AUD2044) and the other AUD1558.

What happened to the USD674 (converted at, say 0.77 = AUD768.50) cruise?

What's going on here? Am I missing something? As Pauline would say "please explain?"

Edited by lyndarra
spelling typo

Are we Aussies geting a rough deal again? I received a CC email with Celebrity Solstice specials which looked very attractive.

eg Alaska Cruise from Seattle starting at USD674 with a box to click "See Deal".

So I click on the box to see the deal and it comes up with 3 cruises 2 of which are Alaska Tracey Arm. One is priced at AUD1778 (reduced from AUD2044) and the other AUD1558.

What's going on here? Am I missing something? As Pauline would say "please explain?"

Yes deals for the North Americans again, but for nobody else. Whats new?

I think your maths may be out a bit. By my ciphering, US$674 converted at 0.77 comes out as $A875. Assuming cruise is 7 days, need to add T&G's to US 'fare" so 7x$14.50 = US$101, or A$131. And the there's taxes & port fees etc, which are typically not included in US fares. I am guessing maybe US$250???, so that's A$325. So that would total up as A$1331. Correct me if I am wrong.

This is still significantly less than the pricing you quoted and so your contention of a rough deal for downunder is valid. The reality of geographical pricing I guess. Before the internet we were just oblivious, and maybe happier?? :)

Aside from the maths, which means US prices are always substantially more than they appear, as you point it's from an email there's also the possibility it's sold/not currently available when you check. That also happens fairly often with people grabbing bargains lately. Prices in an email may be well gone by the time you go to book.

Go through a US TA and you may get the bargain price.:D

Aside from the maths, which means US prices are always substantially more than they appear, as you point it's from an email there's also the possibility it's sold/not currently available when you check. That also happens fairly often with people grabbing bargains lately. Prices in an email may be well gone by the time you go to book.

And of course there may even be the click bait where only one cabin was at that price, which of course has been sold already.

I think your maths may be out a bit. By my ciphering, US$674 converted at 0.77 comes out as $A875. Assuming cruise is 7 days, need to add T&G's to US 'fare" so 7x$14.50 = US$101, or A$131. And the there's taxes & port fees etc, which are typically not included in US fares. I am guessing maybe US$250???, so that's A$325. So that would total up as A$1331. Correct me if I am wrong.

This is still significantly less than the pricing you quoted and so your contention of a rough deal for downunder is valid. The reality of geographical pricing I guess. Before the internet we were just oblivious, and maybe happier?? :)

Good points as usual MR walker.

As you say Ignorance is bliss :D

perhaps not:(