MSC changed room after booking?

JPMoore

Thank you! I must say, seeing the other thread regarding the upgrade to the Aurea Suite, I've been bitten by the jealousy bug ;) Very much looking forward to my holiday, and thanks again all for your advice.

We have booked an Aurea cabin for this September.My first time sailing with MSC.We are diamond with Royal so have black card with MSC.At the time of booking MSC told my TA that they could change our cabin but would only change to a suite nothing lower.Hoping we get upgraded to an Aurea suite.

We have booked an Aurea cabin for this September.My first time sailing with MSC.We are diamond with Royal so have black card with MSC.At the time of booking MSC told my TA that they could change our cabin but would only change to a suite nothing lower.Hoping we get upgraded to an Aurea suite.

Here's hoping! Have a great holiday.

Resolved! MSC have moved us back into the original cabin, with their apologies.

Just read through this thread as this has just happened to us today. We booked 10254 (an aft cabin with large balcony overlooking the wake) on Preziosa for 11 Oct. We have paid in full nearly two months before due date and completed web check-in. All paperwork says cabin 10254.

My husband just checked on MSC website (no idea why he must have had a premonition), and the cabin has changed to a regular balcony on the side of the ship 10259. Not happy with it at all. Of course I can't get in touch with anyone at the moment so have to wait til morning although I have sent email & message.

We did our first cruise in September on Splendida and loved it so much we booked two more cruises on Preziosa. We are diamond plus on RCI so we have Black card status. Sort of leaves a sour taste in your mouth. After 30+ cruises, this is the first time this has happened to us, and I certainly would consider it a downwards move even though it's technically the same grade cabin. I wonder why they do this and who has enough clout to get them to push us out of the cabin we booked so they can have it?

Does anyone know what our position would be if we cancelled? Final payment is not due until June although we have already paid in full.

By the way, glad you got yours resolved. :)

Edited to add: I just checked the deck plan and the original cabin has no "key" features. The one they are moving us to has a "diamond" symbol indicating a double bed sofa, so therefore sleeps 4. We are only 2 so it makes no sense.

Edited by Addict

Hello Addict ... Seems MSC are back to their old tricks again of being useless and Clueless !

Yesterday I booked Preziosa for September 6th for 2 Adults and 2 kids in a 10th floor Balcony 10068 via a travel agent I had used for our recent Majestic Princess cruise.

The T.A sent me all the paperwork via email showing the booking details etc.

I decided to log in to the MSC site using the MSC reference number under the "Select a booking banner" to see that they had the right details only to find that it comes up saying "There are no Bookings available" yet shows the Itinerary, in the Booking details it gives the booking ID and says "Booking Status Confirmed" also shows an Inside cabin on Deck 11 that was never booked. In Red it says Cabin, cancelled item !

I rang the T.A yesterday and again today and still MSC have failed to put in the right booking! I mean how hard can it be .... :mad:

Hello Addict ... Seems MSC are back to their old tricks again of being useless and Clueless !

Yesterday I booked Preziosa for September 6th for 2 Adults and 2 kids in a 10th floor Balcony 10068 via a travel agent I had used for our recent Majestic Princess cruise.

The T.A sent me all the paperwork via email showing the booking details etc.

I decided to log in to the MSC site using the MSC reference number under the "Select a booking banner" to see that they had the right details only to find that it comes up saying "There are no Bookings available" yet shows the Itinerary, in the Booking details it gives the booking ID and says "Booking Status Confirmed" also shows an Inside cabin on Deck 11 that was never booked. In Red it says Cabin, cancelled item !

I rang the T.A yesterday and again today and still MSC have failed to put in the right booking! I mean how hard can it be .... :mad:

Hey Sidari! I know all cruise lines have their problems, RCI being no exception, but I had really high hopes for MSC after a smashing cruise on Splendida. I wish their admin/customer service matched the service we get onboard! Hopefully it will get resolved, but I have a feeling I'm not going to be happy. Deck 10 is now not showing any available cabins. We'll see if I get anywhere tomorrow. :)

It is certainly an odd move taking you out of a cabin for two and moving you to a cabin for four ! Can I ask is the T.A you booked with on T.V by any chance on Sky channel 680 ?

It happened to me twice recently. The first cruise was booked thru MSC and eventually, after much back and forth with MSC, I got my original cabin back. The second was booked thru a TA and they offered a $50 OBC but would not restore my original cabin. That cruise I cancelled and got my deposit back, after weeks of waiting and repeated phone calls from my TA. There was no reason for the move either time. It was B1 to B1 and B2 to B2, but in less desireable locations. They sell a lot of B2B cruises and I think if someone wants the same cabin on both legs they just take it away from the person that has it booked for one week.

They sell a lot of B2B cruises and I think if someone wants the same cabin on both legs they just take it away from the person that has it booked for one week.

Interesting theory, may explain a bit of it. I wonder if it would have to be from a phone call request basis or just when they find a lack of certain cabin types on B2B's. I might have to start looking to see if the cabin is booked on previous/next sailings as I am very picky about my cabin choice and MSC moving me is one of the drawbacks I see that seems more widespread on this line.

It happened to me twice recently. The first cruise was booked thru MSC and eventually, after much back and forth with MSC, I got my original cabin back. The second was booked thru a TA and they offered a $50 OBC but would not restore my original cabin. That cruise I cancelled and got my deposit back, after weeks of waiting and repeated phone calls from my TA. There was no reason for the move either time. It was B1 to B1 and B2 to B2, but in less desireable locations. They sell a lot of B2B cruises and I think if someone wants the same cabin on both legs they just take it away from the person that has it booked for one week.

That is a possible theory, however, considering they are trying to lure new customers with their status match programme, this is not the way to retain that business. They hooked us in, but they may not keep us.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Well, the TA just messaged us this....

"Thank you for your email, We are currently investigating this cabin change with MSC as all our paper work states cabin 10254. As soon as we receive a response form them in regards to this matter we will contact you,"

Grateful they are on it quickly and hope they can sort it out. :)

It appears that MSC are still refusing to deal with travel agents by phone after the initial booking and will only respond by email which is taking at least two days for them to respond!

Time for people to write to the CEO of their UK operations and let him know what you think.

Time for people to write to the CEO of their UK operations and let him know what you think.

You're right. However I'll give them a couple of days to see how they respond. It's beyond me how they can do this when there is no logical reason to move us. I really want to think good things, but I'm beginning to suspect foul play of some sort.

I will "Jack Sparrow" and commandeer Seaside if they try that with me.:evilsmile:

That might be an option here too! :D

It appears that MSC are still refusing to deal with travel agents by phone after the initial booking and will only respond by email which is taking at least two days for them to respond!

My room was changed and my TA called MSC while I waited on the other line and he got everything straightened out--so I know for a fact that MSC will talk to TA's after the initial booking. He even had them make a notation that we had booked this cruise based on this specific cabin (one of the S3 corner suites) and to please not move us. My TA was told that the inventory department will sometimes move people around.

Deb ... We are talking about MSC UK here, it would appear that they are updating the UK site and making a lot of changes, but they are still not fixing the issues they already know about.

The Deck name for Deck 14 has also been changed on Seaside to Mondello from Faraglioni Di Capri! are these people for real!

Edited by sidari

Deb ... We are talking about MSC UK here, it would appear that they are updating the UK site and making a lot of changes, but they are still not fixing the issues they already know about.

Gotcha.

A year and a half ago, I booked the Seaside (will be our first time on MSC) for March, 2018. I booked a S2 (Fantastica) angled cabin which indicated it could accommodate 3 people. I received an e-mail last week advising our cabin was changed. The e-mail stated: "we did want to alert you as soon as possible that the stateroom you initially selected has been modified and is no longer able to accommodate the size of your party. Our team has reassigned your stateroom in a comparable or better location and you will receive the confirmation via email today".

We were moved to a S3 on the same deck but it is a smaller cabin and doesn't show that it will hold 3 people. The cabin is Aurea class, though. I called MSC and wasn't give a reason for the move. The old cabin is still showing it holds 3 people. I was told that the new cabin will also accommodate 3 despite the deck plan showing to the contrary. I asked if I would receive the Aurea class perks and was told no. So, I do not see this as an upgrade at all. Stateroom looks smaller and no additional perks given. I having been waiting for a week to hear back from a supervisor but no call to date. My email for last week has gone unanswered as well.

At this point, I am considering just canceling. First the private island delay and now the cabin switch. I was looking forward to trying MSC but not sure it is worth all of the hassle.

At this point, I am considering just canceling. First the private island delay and now the cabin switch. I was looking forward to trying MSC but not sure it is worth all of the hassle.

I understand your frustration but look at it this way...

A new class of ship under construction will have changes made. Something unforeseen could lead to a structural change which could make a stateroom "smaller" than originally planned.

As for the island, I don't know what delayed MSC's construction but I know that NCL's island renovation was delayed by Hurricane Mathew. Can't really fault the cruiseline for things like that.

We were moved to a S3 on the same deck but it is a smaller cabin and doesn't show that it will hold 3 people. The cabin is Aurea class, though. I called MSC and wasn't give a reason for the move. ... I do not see this as an upgrade at all.

I assume your cabin(s) are on deck nine? What is your sail date? There seem to be plenty of Fantastica Suites available on other decks on March sailings, I'm surprised they didn't move you to another one that would hold three or four people. Did you ask about that possibility? Perhaps MSC thought they were upgrading you for the inconvenience. It will be unfortunate if all Fantastica suites suddenly wont hold three or four.

Deck 12 cabin 204 is the only Fantastica Suite currently shown on the Deck plans on the UK site as being for 2 people, every one of the rest either have a Triangle symbol for a Single Sofa bed or a Diamond for a Double Sofa bed.

Same issue here. Post full payment, and website now shows a cabin change (deck 14 to deck 11, same class) When I call, I was informed that the booking was cancelled (by me) and reassigned. Two cabins booked, one changes number and the other doesn't? After full payment? I had not cancelled anything. Odd. CS was very kind and polite, and tried to move back to the original deck but said the system wouldn't allow it, so they are emailing corporate, and will let me know.