Seniors and the Pregnancy Questionnaire

Tiger0613

I always thought it was because after a specific time during the pregnancy you can no longer cruise because the ships infirmaries are not able to handle a delivery

I was referring to the age of of the passengers completing the questionnaire.

Easier to ask all females than try to guess which ones it may not apply to. There are always exceptions to what you might expect, so better to over ask than miss the exceptions.

Before x raying patients, always asked if any chance of pregnancy, usually got a laugh when it really didn't apply.

I have to admit to getting slightly offended when buying alcohol if I'm not asked if I am over 21! ( 3 times that!)

I wasn't complaining. In case you missed my responses, I said I just wanted to understand the reasoning behind the policy. I was already satisfied with the answers I have received.

Calling something absurd and asking what's the rationale sounds like a complaint to me. But since you are satisfied with the responses, good then. This thread is done I suppose.

The health questionnaire is all ages and both sexes, but the pregnancy questionnaire is only females 13+. I can't think of a reason to ask a man if he is pregnant.

The reason I asked this question is that when something seems illogical, I need to understand the reasoning behind it. I won't lose any sleep over this, but it does still annoy me a little bit. I don't like having to deal with what comes across as unnecessary. ADHD and bipolar are sometimes an unfortunate combination.

Also, I don't always use the best wording when posting in the middle of the night.

what do you suggest? what is a better solution? you need to understand the reasoning and the reasoning might be because there is no better way to narrow it down.

I was at a baseball game and my wife had my wallet (I just had money in my pocket) and went to get a beer. They carded me and refused to sell me beer. at the time I was 45 with a gray beard... but they dont want to accidentally miss anyone so they card everyone... same thing applies here

Does anyone else think it is absurd that a woman that is past menopause is still required to complete the pregnancy questionnaire?

Can someone please explain the rationale behind this?

The simple fact is they ask every female It protects them from any frivolous lawsuits. I am in my 70 s and every time I buy a beer at a football game I have to show my drivers license. to prove I am of legal drinking age. Once I gave the bar tender my license to carry a concealed weapon and I was denied to be served. By the way it was my first bear of the day. Measure that one

The lower age for the pregnancy questionnaire needs to be lowered by approximately four years. Puberty is happening at a lower age .

On my granddaughter's next cruise, she will be nine. You really think she should be asked the question?

Does anyone else think it is absurd that a woman that is past menopause is still required to complete the pregnancy questionnaire?

Completing that questionnaire would have taken you less time than staring this thread.

Just saying.....

On my granddaughter's next cruise, she will be nine. You really think she should be asked the question?

not impossible nor implausible for a 9 year old to get pregnant....

google it....

so to play it safe - every female should be asked. its just safer

Many girls of 9 - 10 now have their periods which means that yes, they can be pregnant (horrible to think, but life can be nasty).

If the intend is to make sure that any pregnancy is not beyond 24 weeks, then all females of child bearing age need to be asked.

No, I don't think it's absurd. Menopause occurs at different ages, so there's no way to know which passengers are or are not past child bearing age. It's simpler just to have everyone complete the questionnaire. I'm sure there's a liability issue as well, so the answer must be in writing as opposed to someone having to ask every passenger.

As far as the minimum age to ask, it probably should be lowered. When my daughter was in 5th or 6th grade (typically 10-12 years old, depending on how birthdays fall), there was a pregnant classmate.

I wasn't complaining. In case you missed my responses, I said I just wanted to understand the reasoning behind the policy. I was already satisfied with the answers I have received.

I disagree. Here is your OP.

"Does anyone else think it is absurd that a woman that is past menopause is still required to complete the pregnancy questionnaire?"

Now you can claim you weren't complaining but what you stated is most specifically a complaint. But here is the gist of it which should answer the rest of your questions. They ask you because they can. They are making a one for all form, easy to reproduce, and everyone can answer the question(s) that pertain to them. You want to complain about it, go ahead an complain. Carnival owns the company and can do as they please without without giving you an explanation (all of the reasons here are just educated guesses). If that is too absurd for you, sail with someone else (though other cruise lines ask the same general questions for the same general reasons) or don't sail at all.

The number of posts on this subject is bordering on ridiculous, IMO. :rolleyes:

what do you suggest? what is a better solution? you need to understand the reasoning and the reasoning might be because there is no better way to narrow it down.

Actually, a passenger doesn't need to understand the reasoning. The fact is, a passenger can fill out the form as requested or not sail. Doesn't get any simpler than that. ;)

Actually, a passenger doesn't need to understand the reasoning. The fact is, a passenger can fill out the form as requested or not sail. Doesn't get any simpler than that. ;)

I was replying to the OP where they stated they NEEDED to understand the reasoning...

I was replying to the OP where they stated they NEEDED to understand the reasoning...

I understand the OP and others may feel the NEED to understand the reasoning but my point was, whatever they feel, Carnival is not obligated or required to give any reasoning.

Wasn't knocking anything you were saying, just piggy backing off of it. ;)

I understand the OP and others may feel the NEED to understand the reasoning but my point was, whatever they feel, Carnival is not obligated or required to give any reasoning.

Wasn't knocking anything you were saying, just piggy backing off of it. ;)

got it and agree with you! (y)

The health questionnaire is all ages and both sexes, but the pregnancy questionnaire is only females 13+. I can't think of a reason to ask a man if he is pregnant.

The reason I asked this question is that when something seems illogical, I need to understand the reasoning behind it. I won't lose any sleep over this, but it does still annoy me a little bit. I don't like having to deal with what comes across as unnecessary. ADHD and bipolar are sometimes an unfortunate combination.

Also, I don't always use the best wording when posting in the middle of the night.

Apparently you missed this post. It explains why I wanted/needed the information(sometimes they feel the same). Do you have this combination of disabilities or know someone that does? Do your/their emotions sometimes get in the way of sound judgement?

'Absurd' was a poor word choice. It didn't accurately express what I was trying to get across. 'Annoying and seemingly illogical' would have been a better choice. It was after midnight for me. It took several minutes to start this thread. I thought my questions were reasonably framed.

When something seems illogical to me, I need to understand, even if it doesn't go my way.

I don't expect Carnival to give me their reasoning. I complete the form every time.

Also, I got answers that satisfied my curiosity within the first ten responses.

When something seems illogical to me, I need to understand, even if it doesn't go my way.

I understand totally. My son has anxiety and panic attacks and is VERY OCD. I get this totally

ask yourself a question... is there a better way? what age can you put? would that make sense?

I think the answer is that Carnival can not justify any particular age so in the best interest of everyone, they ask everyone just like when some companies card everyone buying alcohol. its the safer, easier route.

They card an 80 year old man at a ball game buying beer... do you think they cant tell that he's over 21? of course they can but they card everyone to be safe. no exceptions... same principle

thats the best way to explain it and hope you understand.

The lower age for the pregnancy questionnaire needs to be lowered by approximately four years. Puberty is happening at a lower age .

I agree. I have delivered two 12 year olds so far in my career. It's sad. Managing their labor is tough.Unfortunately it happens. 13 and up is no longer a "safe" age to assume that they are in puberty. I would do 10 and up. And I know that some parents would get offended, but unfortunately it's a necessary evil.

There is one thing I forgot to put in my original post.

When you check in online, it asks if you are pregnant and how far along. You then have to fill out a paper form to tell Carnival what you just told them online. Anyone know why?

There is one thing I forgot to put in my original post.

When you check in online, it asks if you are pregnant and how far along. You then have to fill out a paper form to tell Carnival what you just told them online. Anyone know why?

you are NOT allowed to cruise if you are too far along in the pregnancy.. I think you are not allowed to cruise over 24 weeks.

Please be advised of our policy as it relates to pregnant guests, as set forth in our Cruise TicketContract, a copy of which is available upon request and also posted on our web site: carnival.comGuest understands and acknowledges that in addition to the limitations on medical caredescribed in Clause 2(a) of the cruise ticket contract, prenatal and early infant care, in particular,may require specialized diagnostic facilities and/or treatment that are not obtainable during thecruise on board the ship and/or ashore in ports of call. Therefore, guest agrees not to book acruise or board the ship if she will enter the 24th week of estimated fetal gestational age before orat any time during the cruise.We kindly request that your physician complete and return the attached form verifying your fitness totravel. Carnival will not accept any agreement or recommendation from the guest and/or her physicianthat the policy be waived. It is the guest’s responsibility to provide this pregnancy certification formto her physician and to follow up with its timely completion and submittal to Carnival no later than14 days prior to sailing. Failure to submit the completed form will result in denial of boarding and nocompensation will be provided. The completed form is to be sent to Guest Access Support Department

Ummm, I hit menopause at 42...who cares?? Answer the question and move on!!

You keep asking the reasoning...I grew up in the old days where if someone told me to do something I was expected to do it without asking why. This younger generation feels they're entitled to know why before they do it.

Who cares why Carnival requires this information? Provide it TRUTHFULLY and move on! Why is this so difficult???

Good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cruzin2paradise09

Does it really matter what we think?

Not to worry, as a 9 year old she doesn't fill out the form. The parent or guardian will be asked.