Seniors and the Pregnancy Questionnaire

Tiger0613

There is one thing I forgot to put in my original post.

When you check in online, it asks if you are pregnant and how far along. You then have to fill out a paper form to tell Carnival what you just told them online. Anyone know why?

Maybe they are like the military and prefer everything in triplicate. I would suspect sleazy lawyers have something to do with it as well.

I disagree. Here is your OP.

"Does anyone else think it is absurd that a woman that is past menopause is still required to complete the pregnancy questionnaire?"

Now you can claim you weren't complaining but what you stated is most specifically a complaint. But here is the gist of it which should answer the rest of your questions. They ask you because they can. They are making a one for all form, easy to reproduce, and everyone can answer the question(s) that pertain to them. You want to complain about it, go ahead an complain. Carnival owns the company and can do as they please without without giving you an explanation (all of the reasons here are just educated guesses). If that is too absurd for you, sail with someone else (though other cruise lines ask the same general questions for the same general reasons) or don't sail at all.

The number of posts on this subject is bordering on ridiculous, IMO. :rolleyes:

:') ComputerNerd, I like your style. :')

Apparently you missed this post. It explains why I wanted/needed the information(sometimes they feel the same). Do you have this combination of disabilities or know someone that does? Do your/their emotions sometimes get in the way of sound judgement?

'Absurd' was a poor word choice. It didn't accurately express what I was trying to get across. 'Annoying and seemingly illogical' would have been a better choice. It was after midnight for me. It took several minutes to start this thread. I thought my questions were reasonably framed.

When something seems illogical to me, I need to understand, even if it doesn't go my way.

I don't expect Carnival to give me their reasoning. I complete the form every time.

Also, I got answers that satisfied my curiosity within the first ten responses.

Okay. fair enough. You explained why you wanted a reason so I'll explain why to me it doesn't matter what the reason is.

I am retired US Air Force. 21 years of active duty. I found very early in my career that there were many things that I wanted to know "Why?" but found that it didn't matter why and I would only waste my time and someone else's time by asking a question that most likely no one could answer and even if it was answered, it wouldn't matter because it still had to be done anyway. This is one of those things. If one wishes to cruise, one of the things that must be done is for that person to fill out the health form prior to embarking the ship. Failure to do so will result in not being allowed to embark and loss of the cruise fare. So since it doesn't matter why I must do fill out that form, I know that if I don't I will lose my vacation and my money and that's a good enough reason for me as to why it must be done.

All done. Enjoy your cruise.

There is one thing I forgot to put in my original post.

When you check in online, it asks if you are pregnant and how far along. You then have to fill out a paper form to tell Carnival what you just told them online. Anyone know why?

What hftmrock said. You're supposed to fill out the health questionnaire within three days (or is it two?) of cruising. You can check in online much earlier than that. If, at the time of check-in, you are 20 weeks pregnant, you could easily be past the 24 week mark at cruise time.

Okay. fair enough. You explained why you wanted a reason so I'll explain why to me it doesn't matter what the reason is.

I am retired US Air Force. 21 years of active duty. I found very early in my career that there were many things that I wanted to know "Why?" but found that it didn't matter why and I would only waste my time and someone else's time by asking a question that most likely no one could answer and even if it was answered, it wouldn't matter because it still had to be done anyway. This is one of those things. If one wishes to cruise, one of the things that must be done is for that person to fill out the health form prior to embarking the ship. Failure to do so will result in not being allowed to embark and loss of the cruise fare. So since it doesn't matter why I must do fill out that form, I know that if I don't I will lose my vacation and my money and that's a good enough reason for me as to why it must be done.

All done. Enjoy your cruise.

Computer Nerd... its not that easy for people with OCD and anxiety. They KNOW its no big deal and they have to follow the rules and fill it out but it nags at them to the point of distraction where they almost cant get anything else done. sometimes its minor and sometimes its major but it might seem trivial to you but its not to them. It doesnt have to make sense.. they need a sort of closure and if someone here can try to provide it, it helps.. ignoring it and 'just filling it out without reason' sometimes is very hard to do for people with OCD and anxiety. (I dont know if the OP has OCD and anxiety but I know this is how that works and if I am right, then this is the reason for the post )

I actually have been pregnant on 3 cruises and don't even remember this pregnancy questionnaire?

What is this form everyone is so up in arms about?

Regardless, OP they ask anyone with a post-pubescent uterus this question in order to cover themselves legally.

If a woman has complications due to pregnancy on the cruise, and tries to sue them when she miscarries doing a zipline, they can look at the form and say she had marked that she wasn't even pregnant.

I actually have been pregnant on 3 cruises and don't even remember this pregnancy questionnaire?

Regardless, OP they ask anyone with a post-pubescent uterus this question in order to cover themselves legally.

If a woman has complications due to pregnancy on the cruise, and tries to sue them when she miscarries doing a zipline, they can look at the form and say she had marked that she wasn't even pregnant.

I don't know when Carnival started giving out this form. I didn't start getting the form until December 2016. I only got the health questionnaire in February 2016 and August 2016.

Nobody is really up in arms about it. It's not new, and I believe the paper version that you fill out and turn in at the port started during the Ebola outbreak a few years ago.

The pregnancy question has only been on the form for approximately 2 years, prior to that the check in agents were suppose to ask verbally and there was a little discretion on who they asked. Guests along with Agents felt it could be offensive to some if they were asked out loud. I believe by putting it on the form, makes it a little more private and more comfortable for both the agent and the guest.

I think it's absurd that they created a separate form and didn't just tack it onto the existing health questionnaire.

Would it matter if everyone had to check yes or no to being pregnant (men, women and children alike)?

If you answer yes, then give the pregnant women a separate form to confirm they are not past the 24 weeks.

And PS. it's now also included in the online check in - I had to indicate if I (and my mother) were pregnant. Why are they asking so many times? Once should be enough.

Apparently you missed this post. It explains why I wanted/needed the information(sometimes they feel the same). Do you have this combination of disabilities or know someone that does? Do your/their emotions sometimes get in the way of sound judgement?

'Absurd' was a poor word choice. It didn't accurately express what I was trying to get across. 'Annoying and seemingly illogical' would have been a better choice. It was after midnight for me. It took several minutes to start this thread. I thought my questions were reasonably framed.

When something seems illogical to me, I need to understand, even if it doesn't go my way.

I don't expect Carnival to give me their reasoning. I complete the form every time.

Also, I got answers that satisfied my curiosity within the first ten responses.

I understood it, it's just unfortunate, people like to treat this as if they are annoyed by this post. I'm glad there were some that gave you the answers you seek and were more understanding. I have to laugh at some of the forms we are asked to fill out, not just for our cruises, in all sorts of situations.

I think it's absurd that they created a separate form and didn't just tack it onto the existing health questionnaire.

Would it matter if everyone had to check yes or no to being pregnant (men, women and children alike)?

If you answer yes, then give the pregnant women a separate form to confirm they are not past the 24 weeks.

And PS. it's now also included in the online check in - I had to indicate if I (and my mother) were pregnant. Why are they asking so many times? Once should be enough.

It is with the health questionnaire now. They ask because online you can claim you misread it.

We are always having to deal with the problems others have caused in the past. I mean, how bad was it before the 10 Commandments and Hammurabi's Code?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone else think it is absurd that a woman that is past menopause is still required to complete the pregnancy questionnaire?

Can someone please explain the rationale behind this?

Probably for the same reason they have to put DO NOT USE HAIRDRYER WHILE BATHING cautions on blow dryers. Its always that one person who will say you didn't warn me to start a lawsuit of some type.