Life, times and pay of a port pilot

OlsSalt

Interesting to read about the life, times and pay of those port pilots we see jumping from ship to boat and guiding us in and out of our ports - an astounding feat, but the pay is good, the demands are high and the insider politics can skew the industry like anything else.

Records recently released by a nonprofit group Transparent California put names and job titles alongside the compensation packages. A chief port pilot, who operates tugboats that guide cargo ships into ports, received a total compensation package of $594,000.

These port pilots average $434,000 a year in salary and bonuses, according to a 2016 Los Angeles Times article. They are skilled positions but in high demand. The newspaper revealed how the son of the top port pilot was hired for one of these “rare opening(s)” but was later terminated after ensuing questions about his credentials. (American Spectator)

I have two harbor pilots in my family tree. My one uncle and his son (my cousin) were harbor pilots down in the Norfolk/Hampton Roads area. Cousin just retired 2 years ago. It is indeed a dangerous job. I don't think they were paid quite that much, but they had a comfortable living. And, yes, it was a familial job position - fathers and sons were the norm.

An article in the Norfolk, Virginia, newspaper a few years ago said that the base salary for harbor pilots is about $80,000 per year. However, they have the opportunity to clock a good bit of over time and actually make much more than that.

I imagine it can be a very dangerous job due to varying weather conditions and there is a great deal of responsibility to them to make sure the ship make it into and out of port safely using their extensive knowledge about the tides, winds and channels.

Cruise ship Captains average salary is $153,000.00 dollars so being a Harbor Pilot is more lucrative?

Surprising news. Thanks for sharing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_pilot

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2015/07/19/boat-pilots-port-dangerous-critical-mission/30395613/

Edited by aliaschief

Nearly all harbor pilots in the US are professional associations. The pilots, except the apprentices, are all owners of the association, and do not receive hourly wages or salary. Their compensation is based on the total revenue of the association, which is determined by the pilotage rates set, the number and size of ships that call at the port each year. So, larger, busier ports will be more lucrative to the pilots than smaller, quieter ports. Though, Port Canaveral handles a good number of cruise ships, in addition to cargo ships, and there are only 4 pilots in the association, so the money isn't split too many ways.

The pilots are also required to hold professional insurance bonds in the multi-million dollar range.

Often, at larger ports, with long transit times, the pilots will be stationed on "mother ships" that have the accomodations for 10 pilots or so, for use between ships, and they are then taken to the ships by smaller pilot boats. The Mississippi River pilots live in Pilottown down at the "Head of Passes" between ships. They usually work a few days to a week on station and then get time off.

And, yes, the national labor statistics board lists harbor pilots as one of the most dangerous professions in the country.

Another interesting fact is that harbor pilots are not bound by the international regulations of the STCW convention regarding work/rest hours for mariners. So, while all the others on the bridge of the cruise ship will have had their mandatory 10 hours minimum of rest, and the mandatory 6 hours of that 10 in one uninterrupted period, the harbor pilot may not have been off a ship for days, going from one inbound directly to one going outbound.

Edited by chengkp75

Not sure what the current rules are for Navy ships, but when I was a junior officer aboard a Navy ship in the Vietnam War era, we never used a pilot when entering or leaving a port. While I was qualified as underway Officer of the Deck, when entering or leaving port either the Captain or Executive Officer would have the con. I got the impression from reading Captain Mercer's blog over the last two years that the pilots in some of the foreign ports were somewhat variable in their degree of professionalism.

Naval vessels operate under the concept of "sovereign immunity" whereby most local laws and regulations don't apply, and the port state is not allowed to inspect or board the vessel. However, in order to maintain good relations with the port state, many Naval vessels will take a pilot onboard, and use him in an even more advisory role than merchant ships. Lots depend on the relations with the port state, and the experience of the Captain with the port.

Very interesting post. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Also, I was under the impression (as represented by an opposing party in a divorce case) that the pilots were also had other expenses than insurance to be paid from their compensation. Is that correct? I have the utmost respect for these pilots for the jobs that they are doing, and I suspect that many of us were not fully aware of the dangers of this job.

I have two harbor pilots in my family tree. My one uncle and his son (my cousin) were harbor pilots down in the Norfolk/Hampton Roads area. Cousin just retired 2 years ago. It is indeed a dangerous job. I don't think they were paid quite that much, but they had a comfortable living. And, yes, it was a familial job position - fathers and sons were the norm.

DH has two cousins (father & son) on maternal side who were harbor pilots in Hampton Roads area. Wonder if you could be related? We're still in the area as you can see. Pilots' last name was Swan.

Very interesting post. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Also, I was under the impression (as represented by an opposing party in a divorce case) that the pilots were also had other expenses than insurance to be paid from their compensation. Is that correct? I have the utmost respect for these pilots for the jobs that they are doing, and I suspect that many of us were not fully aware of the dangers of this job.

Well, the association has expenses, such as their dispatch building, or Pilottown building in the Mississippi, the pilot boats and their expenses (the larger boats like Houston where the pilots stay onboard have paid crew who are not pilots), so the compensation to the pilots is the net income of the association.

DH has two cousins (father & son) on maternal side who were harbor pilots in Hampton Roads area. Wonder if you could be related? We're still in the area as you can see. Pilots' last name was Swan.

Not Swan. My cousin & his dad are Jones.

Very intresting posts, thanks for sharing them. Makes for excellent reading nad appreciagtion for the risk some or thos pilots put themselves at. I fdten watch them jump onto the ships early in the monring. I stand at the rail of our vernadah, and time and again, mravel how they jump, and then grab onto that ladder and climb. Hats off to them.