So what am I really going to like about Princess?

Carl Nival

I've taken the plunge and stepped out of my Carnival Comfort Zone.

I have been on five Carnival cruises. I enjoy the cuisine, cocktails, shows, and non-stop entertainment.

So on my Princess cruise, what am I going to notice that's different? What's going to be similar? The food, shows, activities? All of the above?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Each category is a step above. The food is much better. It is available for longer hours, with more variety. The entertainment is a cut above, especially in the showroom. The cocktails are a bit cheaper. The ship's are much nicer. The clientele is better, not so ghetto. What cruise are you taking?

Don't expect the raunchy comedians. Expect older passengers. Expect people who are more into relaxing. Don't expect cursing or vomiting. Don't expect a lot of tattoos. Don't expect gaudy color schemes.

If you really like Carnival you should stay with them. Princess cruises are sedate compared to Carnival. I think it's great that there are different cruise lines with different experiences to satisfy the desires of all. If you like non stop entertainment and want a change look for the big ships with the zip lines and such. They'd probably have a younger crowd and as such more non stop entertainment.

I have to agree with that sentiment. Carnival may be more to your tastes or maybe RCI's Oasis Class ships would suit you best if you like non-stop activities and shows.

Princess is more elegant, quiet, intimate and a big step above Carnival and RCI as far as atmosphere goes IMO. I actually think food on Carnival is better, but I still love Princess. Everything about it feels like a 'real' ocean cruise vs. a partying floating hotel.

Pool deck activities are a lot more sedate on Princess. I think Vines is one of the best wine bars afloat - there's stuff I have actually started buying at home based on enjoying it in Vines. Finally, I find Princess has more usable closet space than most Carnival cabin designs.

I have been on five Carnival cruises. I enjoy the cuisine, cocktails, shows, and non-stop entertainment.

So on my Princess cruise, what am I going to notice that's different? What's going to be similar? The food, shows, activities? All of the above?

It depends on the ship.

Food is about the same in the MDR, Banquet quality fare.

Carnival actually has a lot more options when it comes to casual/cooked-to-order stations dining on board. However, Princess buffets (on average) tend to be a little better quality and more variety(breakfast aside) than those on Carnival. Carnival's buffet tends to offer much of the same basic fare every evening, while Princess usually has some themed ethnic offerings on select evenings. Ie. Italian night, Mexican night, German night etc.

Entertainment is similar. Carnival has the Adult Comedy Club thing, while Princess usually offers some lounge variety acts(comedians, magicians, mentalists, jugglers etc. etc. etc.). The production shows(theater) are pretty cheesy and corny on both lines if you ask me. We still attend them at times to get a laugh.

Carnival productions tends to cater to the '70s-'80s-90s crowd with their rock'n'roll decade themed medley shows, while Princess skews more towards the 50s-'60s-'70s decades. In recent years, Princess has tried to step it up with more Cirque-style productions, but they've been a flop if you ask me. During the day, of course, there's Bingo, Trivia, Pool games et. al...Both lines offer their version of recent-run movies on deck below the big screen in the evenings.

One obvious thing that one may notice is the difference in demographics of the fellow passengers on the two-lines. Carnival and their low-low price point tends to cater to the value-based cruising set - 20-somethings, families with younger children and those with less disposable incomes. Carnival is more of a party boat atmosphere-- People wanting to let loose with what could be limited opportunities to vacation -- whether family-life or work or school prevents more available leisure time.

Princess tends to also attract value-based cruisers, but by paying a little more, they're not getting the cheapest available option among mainstream lines. Sort of akin to: not ordering the cheapest wine on a restaurant wine list, rather ordering the second cheapest bottle as to not feel (or look) cheap.

In some ways, Princess passengers are a little more refined. Average age is usually mid-50s on up -- Mostly empty-nesters at or nearing retirement age. There are some families on board w/ younger children, but not nearly as many as found on Carnival ships. As such, more of the public areas on Princess cater to adults vs. the various kids clubs and deck activities catering to a younger crowd on Carnival. No water slides, or rope courses or mini-golf or Teen Disco clubs on Princess.

If one were to take a ship-full of passengers from a Princess ship and put them on a Carnival ship, the atmosphere would be noticeably more like a Princess cruise and vice versa.

What I'm getting at is that: just based on the crew, service, on-board amenities, food etc., and yes, Carnival does some things different/better than Princess and Princess does some things different/better than Carnival. What's actually provided on board in total is pretty much a wash between the two lines if you ask me. Some Princess cruisers like to believe that because they're paying a little more, they're actually getting a little more. In recent years, that isn't necessarily the case.

The truth is that Carnival is actually a better overall value than Princess. However, that cheaper price on Carnival can also tend to cater to the lowest common denominator. Also, Carnival ships tend to be a little more crowded than Princess ships. Though of late, Princess ships are also moving in that direction. -- Longer lines/waits for almost everything from embarkation all the way through to disembarkation.

Now I understand that this is making broad generalizations here. Yet, having recently sailed both lines, I feel qualified to present my opinions and comparisons of the two. Cruising is really what one makes of it. We've met really friendly, interesting and engaging folks as well as viewing trashy, rude and inconsiderate people on both lines.

Go with an open mind, limit expectations and be appreciative of being fortunate to be able to cruise at all.

Unless a cumulative of really negative experiences happen, I would think it would be hard not to enjoy oneself on any cruise. Making comparisons is like Red Apples, Green Apples and Golden Apples. Most mainstream cruise lines are more alike than different.

I'm taking the Classic California Coast cruise this October, joeyancho.

It will be quite subdued compared to Carnival, especially on that itinerary. Nice clientele, however, very polite, but not enough off the hook entertainment for my taste. We like Princess a lot, but on the last cruise on the Regal we were wishing for more contemporary music, not all that Beatles and Van Morrison music. I thought I would scream if I had to hear Brown Eyed Girl one more time.

Now, some Creedence would have been great. [emoji7]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm taking the Classic California Coast cruise this October, joeyancho.

you would love it. There are many things to do in each port that don't require a lot of money and you can do them on your own. Just do a little pre-cruise research and make a plan.

I've cruised with Holland America, Princess and Carnival. While it was my experience that Carnival had the best food, they also had the worst customer service, main theater shows and also the least motivated staff by far. On HL and Princess, the main theater shows were packed every evening. On Carnival the theater was never full and people walked out of each show I attended. I ended up spending the evenings in the Atrium listening to the lounge combo and also the karioke (sp?) bar - what a hoot it was! The Carnival lido staff was especially "less than" - tables not cleared, inside floors wet. That never happened on the other cruise lines. I hope you enjoy your Princess cruise.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. Is a Dirty Banana something unique to Princess? What is the traditional sail-away drink?

I can't imagine there actually being a "traditional sail-away drink". People drink different things. The "traditional" drink could be anything from a Strawberry Daiquiri to Gin and Tonic to Bourbon to Budweiser to Diet Coke. People drink different things.

After three Carnival Cruises on the Miracle to Mexico for a week with my girlfriends, I have now booked a 15 day cruise out of SF on the Grand Princess with my husband in November. I'm very interested to see the difference. I haven't been wowed by the food on Carnival so I'm looking forward to it being better on the Grand. I'm sure there will be things I like on Princess better, while other things i like better on Carnival. Since this is a cruise for our ten year anniversary, I wanted something more relaxing and elegant than Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Afternoon Tea is to die for!!

Where do they serve afternoon tea? We too will be first time Princess passengers in August, and are very much looking forward to it. We have sailed with Seabourn, Seadream, Royal, Celebrity, and Carnival (once!).

Please keep up with the helpful tips- they are all most appreciated. Very excited for this trip to Scandinavia, and would love any info anyone has, esp in regards to those with experience with this itinerary. Thank you very much in advance!

Where do they serve afternoon tea? We too will be first time Princess passengers in August, and are very much looking forward to it. We have sailed with Seabourn, Seadream, Royal, Celebrity, and Carnival (once!).

Please keep up with the helpful tips- they are all most appreciated. Very excited for this trip to Scandinavia, and would love any info anyone has, esp in regards to those with experience with this itinerary. Thank you very much in advance!

It's usually in the same dining room that was open for lunch. Check the Patters (the daily activities/dining schedule). It should be listed on the back page. I've heard that hey also have the scones at the buffet.

After three Carnival Cruises on the Miracle to Mexico for a week with my girlfriends, I have now booked a 15 day cruise out of SF on the Grand Princess with my husband in November. I'm very interested to see the difference. I haven't been wowed by the food on Carnival so I'm looking forward to it being better on the Grand. I'm sure there will be things I like on Princess better, while other things i like better on Carnival. Since this is a cruise for our ten year anniversary, I wanted something more relaxing and elegant than Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With regards to elegant may I suggest ordering the Ultimate Balcony Dinner (if you have a balcony). Also sign up for the chef's table. Both have an extra cost but IMHO are well worth it. There are many reviews of both on cruise critic.

Many will wear tuxes and gowns on formal nights and some will not. We always do and have found ourselves in good company.

Enjoy your cruise!