So what am I really going to like about Princess?

Carl Nival

With regards to elegant may I suggest ordering the Ultimate Balcony Dinner (if you have a balcony). Also sign up for the chef's table. Both have an extra cost but IMHO are well worth it. There are many reviews of both on cruise critic.

Many will wear tuxes and gowns on formal nights and some will not. We always do and have found ourselves in good company.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you. I hope to order the balcony dinner or at least the breakfast! It's our 10 year anniversary so I definitely wanted splurge a little. We are going in a club class suite which should be nice. We have some on board credits, so I will be using them for this!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you. I hope to order the balcony dinner or at least the breakfast! It's our 10 year anniversary so I definitely wanted splurge a little. We are going in a club class suite which should be nice. We have some on board credits, so I will be using them for this!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If this is a full suite then congratulations! Just be aware that if it is a mini-suite there is nothing "suite like" about it. It's not actually a suite and has no suite benefits. Since you said it's Club Class then you will, of course, have those benefits but I'm thinking you really have a mini suite since all full suites are automagically Club Class. Don't get me wrong - I love a mini suite but I think it is very poorly named.

I've taken the plunge and stepped out of my Carnival Comfort Zone.

I have been on five Carnival cruises. I enjoy the cuisine, cocktails, shows, and non-stop entertainment.

So on my Princess cruise, what am I going to notice that's different? What's going to be similar? The food, shows, activities? All of the above?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

One thing different that you'll enjoy is being able to go directly to your cabin when you first board the ship. :D

Food is about the same in the MDR, Banquet quality fare.

Carnival actually has a lot more options when it comes to casual/cooked-to-order stations dining on board. However, Princess buffets (on average) tend to be a little better quality and more variety(breakfast aside) than those on Carnival. Carnival's buffet tends to offer much of the same basic fare every evening, while Princess usually has some themed ethnic offerings on select evenings. Ie. Italian night, Mexican night, German night etc.

Entertainment is similar. Carnival has the Adult Comedy Club thing, while Princess usually offers some lounge variety acts(comedians, magicians, mentalists, jugglers etc. etc. etc.). The production shows(theater) are pretty cheesy and corny on both lines if you ask me. We still attend them at times to get a laugh.

Carnival productions tends to cater to the '70s-'80s-90s crowd with their rock'n'roll decade themed medley shows, while Princess skews more towards the 50s-'60s-'70s decades. In recent years, Princess has tried to step it up with more Cirque-style productions, but they've been a flop if you ask me. During the day, of course, there's Bingo, Trivia, Pool games et. al...Both lines offer their version of recent-run movies on deck below the big screen in the evenings.

One obvious thing that one may notice is the difference in demographics of the fellow passengers on the two-lines. Carnival and their low-low price point tends to cater to the value-based cruising set - 20-somethings, families with younger children and those with less disposable incomes. Carnival is more of a party boat atmosphere-- People wanting to let loose with what could be limited opportunities to vacation -- whether family-life or work or school prevents more available leisure time.

Princess tends to also attract value-based cruisers, but by paying a little more, they're not getting the cheapest available option among mainstream lines. Sort of akin to: not ordering the cheapest wine on a restaurant wine list, rather ordering the second cheapest bottle as to not feel (or look) cheap.

In some ways, Princess passengers are a little more refined. Average age is usually mid-50s on up -- Mostly empty-nesters at or nearing retirement age. There are some families on board w/ younger children, but not nearly as many as found on Carnival ships. As such, more of the public areas on Princess cater to adults vs. the various kids clubs and deck activities catering to a younger crowd on Carnival. No water slides, or rope courses or mini-golf or Teen Disco clubs on Princess.

If one were to take a ship-full of passengers from a Princess ship and put them on a Carnival ship, the atmosphere would be noticeably more like a Princess cruise and vice versa.

What I'm getting at is that: just based on the crew, service, on-board amenities, food etc., and yes, Carnival does some things different/better than Princess and Princess does some things different/better than Carnival. What's actually provided on board in total is pretty much a wash between the two lines if you ask me. Some Princess cruisers like to believe that because they're paying a little more, they're actually getting a little more. In recent years, that isn't necessarily the case.

The truth is that Carnival is actually a better overall value than Princess. However, that cheaper price on Carnival can also tend to cater to the lowest common denominator. Also, Carnival ships tend to be a little more crowded than Princess ships. Though of late, Princess ships are also moving in that direction. -- Longer lines/waits for almost everything from embarkation all the way through to disembarkation.

Now I understand that this is making broad generalizations here. Yet, having recently sailed both lines, I feel qualified to present my opinions and comparisons of the two. Cruising is really what one makes of it. We've met really friendly, interesting and engaging folks as well as viewing trashy, rude and inconsiderate people on both lines.

Go with an open mind, limit expectations and be appreciative of being fortunate to be able to cruise at all.

Unless a cumulative of really negative experiences happen, I would think it would be hard not to enjoy oneself on any cruise. Making comparisons is like Red Apples, Green Apples and Golden Apples. Most mainstream cruise lines are more alike than different.

I have to agree with you on lots of what you mentioned. The two lines ate pretty much the same thing except for demographics of the crowd which in return the company adjust the entertainment to.

I've been on more Princess ships but have have nothing bad to say about Carnival as like this poster.

Depending on the mood you will be in a more relaxed or quiet atmosphere might just fit you this time around.

Here are a few things that each line has that I like them for.

Carnival :

Lobby bar

Alchemy Bar

Night Club

Water slides

Serenity (Free)

Chocolate melting cake

Love the logo shop

Guys Burger (Best burger at sea)

Blue iguana (Amazing Burritos)

Princess :

Overall layout of the ships

The Piazza (Especially the one on Regal and Royal)

Wines ( Great wine Bar)

Cronners ( Martinis)

The International Café

Norman Love desserts ( Amazing) as well as Princess Love Boat one.

Alfredos ( Italian and free)

Buffet layout (Régal and Royal)

Afternoon tea

Theatre shows (A bit better)

Better inside cabin movie selection

Able to get your cabin as soon as you board.

So for me that sums up what differences of each attracts me from one to the other depending on what my mood I'm in.

I sure you will like Princess as well if your open to some differences.

Don't forget to come back and tell us what you also thought.

Sea ya

Éric

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me, other things that also make a great Princess experience are the friendly crew I've typically encountered, the fun of being one of the early-birds at International Cafe at 6 (or 5) a.m. and grabbing coffee and pastry, movies under the stars, buy-one/get another for $1 from 3-4 at the bar though not all ships offer that so it's another thing I look for in the daily Patter, and Trivia that doesn't require a cruise-long commitment to participate.

you aint cruizin until you have a Dirty Banana in one hand and your favourite squeeze in the other :-)

mmmmm dirty banana!!! It's been waaaaay too long since my last one. Can't wait til Sept.!:D

What's in a dirty banana?

Any (dark)Jamaican Rum will work - However, Appleton Estate is the preferred choice....

The other ingredients are:

Frozen Banana

Coffee Liqueur - Tia Maria is the preferred local brand

Rum Cream

Milk

Simple Syrup

Ice

Any (dark)Jamaican Rum will work - However, Appleton Estate is the preferred choice....

The other ingredients are:

Frozen Banana

Coffee Liqueur - Tia Maria is the preferred local brand

Rum Cream

Milk

Simple Syrup

Ice

It sounds delicious but OMG it sounds like it would fill me up soooooooooooo big time. I find that single malt scotch served straight up is far less filling... :)

One thing different that you'll enjoy is being able to go directly to your cabin when you first board the ship. :D

Wait, what?? All cabins??

Yeah, but the trade off is a later boarding time.

That said, this was not true on my Regal cruise. The cabins weren't open until 1 or 1:30.

It sounds delicious but OMG it sounds like it would fill me up soooooooooooo big time. I find that single malt scotch served straight up is far less filling... :)

They are pretty tasty. The DW both fell in love with them the first time partaking. The key is the frozen banana. Many bartenders substitute Banana liqueur and it simply isn't the same.

Yeah, but the trade off is a later boarding time.

That said, this was not true on my Regal cruise. The cabins weren't open until 1 or 1:30.

Have been on over 30 Princess cruises. Have boarded most around noon and was always able to go directly to our cabin. I have read that on some Princess ships cabin access was delayed, but this is not the norm. A few times actual boarding was delayed due to Coast Guard inspections and some other technical issues, but in those cases we still went directly to our cabin once we boarded.

There is no payment for first to the fun like Carnival. Boarding begins around noon maybe a little sooner with priority boarders, then everyone else in order of arrival. Once boarding begins it goes very quickly.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I feel better about Princess now. I was a little worried that I would be lost at sea on a Princess ship, but it sounds like I will be with fun-loving people. It does sound like I need to expand my musical tastes to include the 1960's era.

Do I really need to try Sabatini's or The Crown Grill? If the food in the MDR is going to be such an upgrade from Carnival, I almost feel like dining in a restaurant with a surcharge isn't necessary.

Do Princess ships have good libraries or are they an after-thought like on Carnival?

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I feel better about Princess now. I was a little worried that I would be lost at sea on a Princess ship, but it sounds like I will be with fun-loving people. It does sound like I need to expand my musical tastes to include the 1960's era.

Do I really need to try Sabatini's or The Crown Grill? If the food in the MDR is going to be such an upgrade from Carnival, I almost feel like dining in a restaurant with a surcharge isn't necessary.

Do Princess ships have good libraries or are they an after-thought like on Carnival?

We don't feel the need for Crown Grill. We've eaten there a few times but it really isn't important to us and frankly we have a hard time eating the amount of food. The steak seems more grocery store quality than nice steak house quality. Take your own books on your tablet or phone.

Each category is a step above. The food is much better. It is available for longer hours, with more variety. The entertainment is a cut above, especially in the showroom. The cocktails are a bit cheaper. The ship's are much nicer. The clientele is better, not so ghetto. What cruise are you taking?

Not so ghetto, exactly what does that mean:confused:

Not so ghetto, exactly what does that mean:confused:

Just a guess here: Perhaps it means fewer tattoos, less swearing, lack of puking in the elevator. Like I said, just a guess as I can't really speak for what the poster meant.

We don't feel the need for Crown Grill. We've eaten there a few times but it really isn't important to us and frankly we have a hard time eating the amount of food. The steak seems more grocery store quality than nice steak house quality. Take your own books on your tablet or phone.

I'm going to disagree with Thrak on this one. :D Of course food is very subjective but I think giving Crown Grill a try is very much worth it. Although the steak quality might not meet everybody's idea of steak house quality, in our experiences (many) we have never had a bad or even average meal. It has always been very good and probably a step above many of the MDR dinners. I say that as a fan of the MDR. If you'd rather not spend the extra money I totally understand. However, if that's not a concern and you like steak I suggest giving it a try.

Taking the grand in a month to Alaska, nice i can uber to the port and not have to get in a day ahead. I have mainly been a carinval cruiser and my Dog is named after the Miracle, so it will be intersting to compare to. I have also been on Disney and i hated it, was bored to death and Holland America when i was 20, 20 years ago. Was the youngest on the ship lol, but i had a blast... will be interesting to see what princess is all about. Going with my uncle and cousins family about 25 of us!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Edited by goduckies05

Don't know if Carnival has the huge outdoor movie screens, MUTS, movies under the stars. That was one of our favorite things. Also enjoyed the afternoon tea. Their scones are excellent! Search for Scott Singer Cruises on YouTube. He does some fun vlogs on Princess ships.