Bringing Booze on board-Real life experiences

ncstrman

Has anyone had any experiences with bringing a small quantity of booze onto a ship without trying to smuggle in various containers?

I fully understand NCL's policy, having said that, I received 2 bottles 50 ml each of fine scotch as a gift. I was thinking that it would be nice to enjoy at a special time on our balcony. Has anyone had a small quantity "overlooked"? Confiscated?

we were in NOLA a few years ago for a couple of days prior to sailing. while walking around the French quarters we spotted a store that had 2 small bottles of Jim Bean for about $5. We decided to buy them and take them back to our B&B to have a drink or two. The second one we didn't open; stuck it in our luggage and forgot about it. Well, NCL didn't; yes we got called to the naughty room. Never again will be bring it on, by accident or any other way. The policy is just that. I am sure there are ways to smuggle but it isn't worth it.

if you got 2 bottles of fine scotch as a gift, you probably shouldn't chance getting it taken away.

Enjoy it at home and follow the rules to make it easier on yourself.

They do not take it away forever LOL, they give it back to you at the end the cruise

They do not take it away forever LOL, they give it back to you at the end the cruise

With NCL system, it gives a green light to the smugglers.

Nothing to risk.

Some cruise lines dont give the booze back

Only if it is in it's original sealed packaging. If it's in a rum runner or other type of repackaged bottle it will be thrown away.

Only if it is in it's original sealed packaging. If it's in a rum runner or other type of repackaged bottle it will be thrown away.
So I take it the scanners can detect "rum runners"?

:*

Smuggling booze in original bottle's won't get threw if they have a metal seal

So I take it the scanners can detect "rum runners"?

Usually not, but if they find it into the trash it goes. Same with the disguised bottles.

My intent was for OP to not repackage it if it is truly a fine scotch because if found it will be thrown away rather than confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise. Two 50ml bottles stand a very good chance of being missed in a large bag.

Edited by Até

Rules are meant to be broken. With the UBP now, I haven't snuck on booze in a while, but I used to all the time. To the holier than thou crowd, I don't care what you think :D;p

Anyway, empty mouth wash bottles used to work like a charm. Remove the plastic seal with a razor blade, empty, wash, and fill with your booze of choice. Replace the plastic seal, and tape it back on. ALWAYS WORKED. And rum runners work great too. Have fun!

Rules are meant to be broken. With the UBP now, I haven't snuck on booze in a while, but I used to all the time. To the holier than thou crowd, I don't care what you think :D;p

Anyway, empty mouth wash bottles used to work like a charm. Remove the plastic seal with a razor blade, empty, wash, and fill with your booze of choice. Replace the plastic seal, and tape it back on. ALWAYS WORKED. And rum runners work great too. Have fun!

The UBP is only good if you get it as a package with the cabin.

Otherwise at $80+ a day it's not worth a hill of beans.

Doesn't even include specialty coffee!

The UBP is only good if you get it as a package with the cabin.

Otherwise at $80+ a day it's not worth a hill of beans.

Doesn't even include specialty coffee!

I agree! I should have been more clear. Ever since I started taking the UBP as a "free" perk, I haven't brought booze on board. If I had to pay the $80+ a day for the UBP, I would not stop my smugglin' ways ;)

A friend of mine (no, really!) went on an overnight girls cruise with a bunch of people she didn't know that well. One of the ladies had taken the time to fill up a whole bunch of teeny little travel container bottles with vodka. She had some in her purse, some in her cosmetic bag, some in her with her toiletries, etc. Then they had to go to the buffet to find something to mix it with. Vodka and fruit punch I guess is what they drank.

It might be a non-issue, I don't know, but those little travel shampoo containers are not food grade, so I don't know if it's wise to store alcohol in them.

I like a bargain as much as the next person, but that to me seems like too much work/hassle/risk for too little payoff.

First of all, I did not read any of the replies.

In the early days of my sailings, it was easy because no one cared.

But my cruise in 2010 the guy that checked our bags straight out asked if there was booze in our bags, we told him yes and he told the workers to make sure that went on top only.

What can I say, he got a nice tip.

Now-a-days, we can afford paying the price and having a great time...

Hope this helps. :evilsmile:

I agree! I should have been more clear. Ever since I started taking the UBP as a "free" perk, I haven't brought booze on board. If I had to pay the $80+ a day for the UBP, I would not stop my smugglin' ways ;)

It sounds free but it's not.

You always have to get a higher price category

What about bringing wine onboard? I know they charge you a small corkage fee, but how does it work from there? Will they hold my wine for me (at correct temperature) and bring it to whatever restaurant I want it at? Or do I need to carry it around for the length of the cruise until I want it?

What about bringing wine onboard? I know they charge you a small corkage fee, but how does it work from there? Will they hold my wine for me (at correct temperature) and bring it to whatever restaurant I want it at? Or do I need to carry it around for the length of the cruise until I want it?

Nope. You haul it through security xray. You pay the corkage fee. You haul it on board. You deal with it.

I fully understand NCL's policy, having said that, I received 2 bottles 50 ml each of fine scotch as a gift. I was thinking that it would be nice to enjoy at a special time on our balcony. Has anyone had a small quantity "overlooked"? Confiscated?

As long as you don't mind your fine scotch confiscated. Won't be denied boarding, it will be confiscated.

First cruise line I ever heard of charging. It's like 12 -15 bucks a bottle.

Most other lines let you take one bottle per passenger.

No charge

Has anyone had any experiences with bringing a small quantity of booze onto a ship without trying to smuggle in various containers?

We always bring a small amount for the balcony. You will have to repackage it though.