Bringing Booze on board-Real life experiences

ncstrman

If in the Port of Miami more in likely it is local contracted help - private security.

Other major ports of origin these too would be by private security.

At other ports one of the (NCL) ships crew would be doing the corkage assessment.

Notice that after boarding the ship and using your key card there is a small security machine

to pass your hand goods packages and alike. If something odd comes up like booze or knives etc.you

would be directed to that desk handling corkage fees or securing alcohol for the duration of the cruise.

It is possible that the desk maybe briefly unattended or not even noticed i.e stops at NCLs private island

Harvest Cay - where are you getting contraband on a private island ?

Rum runners have worked on CCL every time.

One time, my friend tried bringing on 2 small size rum bottles from Freeport. Had them in his cargo shorts with big pockets.These set the alarm off and sent him to the desk.

He asked them if he can go back to the store and return them.

They said sure.

So, he went to the liquor store.

He exchanged them for ones with plastic caps.

Then, he boarded the ship at a different location and got them on.

:cool:

I believe you should be able to get a waiver for this, contact the Access Desk. All they can do is say no. From the NCL site:

In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com or have your travel agent contact us.

Or see if you can find concentrated cherry juice in pill form. I'm sure some health store pulls out the good stuff in another form.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

I don't drink alcohol, but I do drink cherry juice to prevent another gout episode, and I've been worrying about going a week without it. You folks have given me some great ideas!
I would a note from your doctor that you have to drink the cherry juice for medical reasons. Call the special needs department and explain it to them and tell them you have a letter from your doctor. If you are approved for a waiver, they will either purchase cherry juice for you to drink or allow you to bring your own on.

as its all inclusive why smuggle booze on ? celebrity and rcl i understand ?

Not everybody gets the UBP as an option so it's not AI for everyone. For example, anyone booking a Sail Away price or a Canadian and Par price or an X (guarantee) category price won't get Free at Sea promos. Others may just prefer dining or internet packages but want a bottle of tipple for the cabin in the evenings. Another reason is people wanting to bring something special on board like a particular scotch like the OP. But certainly with the prevalence of the UBP the numbers of folks looking to smuggle booze is likely reduced.

Just returned from an extended NCL cruise. Brought 2 750ml wines in our carry on. Security scanner caught them and asked if they were wine. Answered in the affirmative and were directed to a table manned by a NCL employee. He inspected the seals, affixed a little sticker, and told us not to pay anyone any more for these bottles. I don't understand the corkage fee conversations. :)

He inspected the seals, affixed a little sticker, and told us not to pay anyone any more for these bottles. I don't understand the corkage fee conversations. :)

What do you mean you "don't understand the corkage fee conversations"??? There is absolutely a $15 fee per 750 ml bottle of wine. There is no debating this. In your case either the guy forgot to charge you, chose not to charge you for some reason, or charged you and you didn't realize it. It's not like the fee just went away.

as its all inclusive why smuggle booze on ? celebrity and rcl i understand ?

It's nice to have a drink in the cabin. On our last cruise, we didn't bring on any wine, because we had the UBP (before it was a free promo), and missed having it in the cabin. This time we will bring on wine, even having the UBP.

It's nice to have a drink in the cabin. On our last cruise, we didn't bring on any wine, because we had the UBP (before it was a free promo), and missed having it in the cabin. This time we will bring on wine, even having the UBP.

if you have the UBP you can always get a glass of wine from a bar and bring it back to the cabin

What do you mean you "don't understand the corkage fee conversations"??? There is absolutely a $15 fee per 750 ml bottle of wine. There is no debating this. In your case either the guy forgot to charge you, chose not to charge you for some reason, or charged you and you didn't realize it. It's not like the fee just went away.

And he "forgot" 3 couples behind me. And I totally "understand". It's not absolute!

You can, DH was sent on several wine missions, but it's easier if it's in the cabin.
Or.,if you have the UBP you could bring a little thermos with you during the day, order wine from a few different bars, go into the restroom and pour them into the thermos. You could possible fill it up during the day for evening drinks in your room. Some bars will even give you 2 glasses of wine if you ask nicely.

Even though we had the UBP, we brought and paid the corkage on at least 6 bottles of wine for a 10 day cruise. The wine list on the ship doesn't "float my boat" and I'm in the industry so I get screaming discounts on awesome wines. Paying $90 in corkage fees is worth it to me to have the wines I like with dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even though we had the UBP, we brought and paid the corkage on at least 6 bottles of wine for a 10 day cruise. The wine list on the ship doesn't "float my boat" and I'm in the industry so I get screaming discounts on awesome wines. Paying $90 in corkage fees is worth it to me to have the wines I like with dinner.

Congratulations, the next step is to lose the UBP. I haven't got there myself, but trying.

How about you just follow the rules like most decent folks do?

You assume NCL's rules have some higher authority that makes not following them indecent. Corporate greed is not a rule I'm inclined to follow.

You assume NCL's rules have some higher authority that makes not following them indecent. Corporate greed is not a rule I'm inclined to follow.
And he assumed right. It is THEIR business. They ARE the higher authority when it comes to their own business. They get to set the rules. You get to break them all you want and experience the consequences. Businesses and corporations are in it to make money. They are not charities.....they make only what people are willing to pay. It's called "free enterprise". You are free to not buy their product or follow their rules if so inclined. But don't expect to get away with it and or then call yourself a victim.

I still love my cocktails!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do too...LOL That said, if I brought a bottle of wine for each day on board, I think it might be cheaper for me to buy my cocktails as I go... instead of buying the UBP. I just can't see myself drinking that much. But that's just me.