Bringing Booze on board-Real life experiences

ncstrman

Has anyone had any experiences with bringing a small quantity of booze onto a ship without trying to smuggle in various containers?

I fully understand NCL's policy, having said that, I received 2 bottles 50 ml each of fine scotch as a gift. I was thinking that it would be nice to enjoy at a special time on our balcony. Has anyone had a small quantity "overlooked"? Confiscated?

In september, we did "side to side" cruises. On the first one, we bought a small bottle of maple vodka in canada to bring back home (50 mL). It not only made it back on the ship after port, but we brought it on the 2nd cruise in our checked luggage with no prob. I think we stuck it in a shoe.

Likewise, my mom came down to Tampa and bought 4 minis to take home, but she was heading on a cruise with us first. Hers made it onboard with no problem.

I don't drink alcohol, but I do drink cherry juice to prevent another gout episode, and I've been worrying about going a week without it. You folks have given me some great ideas!

I believe you should be able to get a waiver for this, contact the Access Desk. All they can do is say no. From the NCL site:

In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com or have your travel agent contact us.

What about bringing wine onboard? I know they charge you a small corkage fee, but how does it work from there? Will they hold my wine for me (at correct temperature) and bring it to whatever restaurant I want it at? Or do I need to carry it around for the length of the cruise until I want it?

When you reach the scanners, let them know you have wine to declare. They will direct you to a table where you will pay your $15 per bottle ( and you can bring on all you can drink ). From there you'll have to carry it aboard yourself. It can be dropped at a dining room if you want. They'll send it to storage somewhere and you will be able to access it from any dining venue during the cruise. Ditto if you order a bottle from the menu at dinner and don't feel like finishing it. No need to schlep wine all over the ship once you get it onboard.

In 2008 when my hubby and I went to Alaska on NCL out of Vancouver we flew in day before and went to a liquor store by our hotel. It was packed with people sailing the next day. We bought 2 bottles and put them right in our suitcases and never had a problem. On board we bought the pop package for our mix, we also bought pop in port as we're allowed to then. In 2010 we went on Caribbean cruise with 8 others and we all filled up rum runners and never had issues.

When you reach the scanners, let them know you have wine to declare. They will direct you to a table where you will pay your $15 per bottle .

$15 a bottle. Thats a lot!

I think there the only line that charges.

Has anyone had any experiences with bringing a small quantity of booze onto a ship without trying to smuggle in various containers?

I fully understand NCL's policy, having said that, I received 2 bottles 50 ml each of fine scotch as a gift. I was thinking that it would be nice to enjoy at a special time on our balcony. Has anyone had a small quantity "overlooked"? Confiscated?

I don't think people realize that you are asking about air plane bottles. 50 ml = appx 1.5 oz. Throw them in with your toiletries and they will get on without any issue.

What about bringing wine onboard? I know they charge you a small corkage fee, but how does it work from there? Will they hold my wine for me (at correct temperature) and bring it to whatever restaurant I want it at? Or do I need to carry it around for the length of the cruise until I want it?

We brought 8 bottles of cheapy wine on the Escape. Charged $15 US corkage for each. We didn't have the UBP as a perk, so this was the next cheapest option. We could have left it at the MDR for dinner each night, but we drank one per dinner, so none leftover to store! lol You can bring it where ever you want on the ship, which was great.

Also, just as an FYI, O'Sheehan's had 60oz pitchers of various draught beers on tap for $13.95 + 18% grat. We utilized this as well.

We brought 8 bottles of cheapy wine on the Escape. Charged $15 US corkage for each. We didn't have the UBP as a perk, so this was the next cheapest option. We could have left it at the MDR for dinner each night, but we drank one per dinner, so none leftover to store! lol You can bring it where ever you want on the ship, which was great.

Also, just as an FYI, O'Sheehan's had 60oz pitchers of various draught beers on tap for $13.95 + 18% grat. We utilized this as well.

The 60oz beer is a good deal.

I would do rum runners before I pay $15 bucks a bottle of wine.

How closely (if at all) did they inspect the seals on the wine? Seems you could get a bottle of cheap red with a screw cap, drain it, refill with 151 or other high grade spirit, and then pay $15 tax to bring on a large quantity of mixable booze "legally."

How closely (if at all) did they inspect the seals on the wine? Seems you could get a bottle of cheap red with a screw cap, drain it, refill with 151 or other high grade spirit, and then pay $15 tax to bring on a large quantity of mixable booze "legally."

I don't recall the lady at the wine table analyzing the seals, but she did have to handle each one to add a sticker to each one to show that we paid to bring them on board.

The bin of confiscated hard liquor in original bottles was HUGE! I wonder who gets to keep it all? lol

that would be good if inspection is soft.

:cool:

Your cheap ass screw cap wino juice will get the attention of the security/corkage fee folks. Who brings a $2 bottle of wine to pay $15 to bring it. Nobody, that's who.

This is the preferred technique for wine bottle smuggling.

[YOUTUBE]Bry196a99G8[/YOUTUBE]

Your cheap ass screw cap wino juice will get the attention of the security/corkage fee folks. Who brings a $2 bottle of wine to pay $15 to bring it. Nobody, that's who.

Bry196a99G8

With all that you could bring herb on board. :evilsmile:

Sorry, that video stinks aside from the cork removal. I guarantee you would get caught without fixing the seal.

We favor some very nice California prime wines, $15 and up, that are only available in screw-top.

gary

Yes! $15.00 per bottle corkage fee for 750 ml bottle. There is a $30.00 for the Magnum size bottles. We just got back 3 hours ago from the Jewel. They put a sticker on the bottles and you take them to your restaurant on board. At the restaurant they can tag the bottle and store it and retrieve it for you at any restaurant. You can also carry it back to your room. There is no limit on the Wine/Champagne bottles that you can carry on. No hard liquors are allowed. Those that smuggle them risk being caught. We brought 2 bottles and left one 2/3 full on the ship. The drinks on board were good and we paid by the drink and didn't think it was too bad. 1 Bay Breeze, 1 Scotch rocks and 1 Gin and Tonic and a plain tonic water was $38.00 inc the 18% gratuity.

So seriously do the low paid booze police have a CSI degree in detecting the switched contents ?

Color of the contents is important and type of bottle !

Do metal screw caps get more security ?

Do the booze police get concerned if the seal is broken ?

After switching the contents - you could easily cover a botched job (damage to cork and its positioning) simply by

dipping the top of the bottle in a wax covering making it appear to be a very high end wine.

Best method for bringing booze on board is in the carry on - avoid the checked luggage where one would have to

go to the naughty room and perhaps have more scrutiny of the contents and of course pay the corkage fee that

one attempted to by pass.

If one brings on a bottle and it does not have the corkage sticker - the wait staff in a restaurant may score points

for exposing this unpaid fee.

Using a mouth wash bottle may not be so great i.e. Listerine has a very bad lingering after taste for several weeks

even if one makes an extra effort to remove it by boiling water - soap - baking soda - and other methods - watch

that the color of the label and contents match (not many wines are Blue Marine or Algae Green in color).

Use of Pharmaceutical prescription bottles with faux Rx works in reasonable quantities.

Rum runners are great for just about any booze colored or not - just don't load the bag with enough or less

fluid to cause an eccentric motion in luggage handling - whoa something wobbling inside here !

One could bring on 5 liter bags of wine if carefully removed from the exterior cardboard carton and the

dispensing valve is not made of metal !

Of course by this time in the restricted booze traffic marketing NCL should know of the game that is played.

The quality of the help makes all the difference - back to the first line of this post:

So seriously do the low paid booze police have a CSI degree in detecting the switched contents ?

With the booze packages offered why bother to circumvent the system after all this is not the 30's and

your grandfathers era of prohibition ! LOL !

Oh my oh my Lions Tigers and Bears and then KNIVES; WMD and BOOZE what is next ?