Bringing Booze on board-Real life experiences

ncstrman

How about you just follow the rules like most decent folks do?

Thanks for the input, perhaps I should have made it clear that 50 ml bottles are (as another poster pointed out), the 1 1/2 oz size minis, like the ones they give you on the plane. This is not about smuggling booze on so that I can get hammered, but to enjoy a gift that was given to me, all 2 drams of whisky. It was not about not "following the rules" I simply wanted to see if anyone had experience with having a minute quantity overlooked or confiscated.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, pouring into another container is out of the question as I would not chance it altering the taste. Ultimately, I'll likely just put them into a shaving kit or with DW's toiletries.

I assume nothing. Justifying breaking the rules for any lame reason is just that. If you do not like the terms of the cruise then do not book one.

Okay, I'll back off a little since Woodford was my copilot.

Corporate profits is not a rule I'm inclined to follow.

I know fully well what a mini is. The rules do not state that you can bring on minis or that you can bring on alcohol as long as your intention is not to get hammered. There is no difference between "not following the rules" and "having any quantity of alcohol brought on board" which is AGAINST THE RULES. As long as you are OK with justifying your actions of breaking the rules with some excuse then by all means go for it.

I was not asking for ideas on how to get away with breaking the rules. Read the OP and note that I asked if anyone had any experience with this. You obviously have not.

Now go to the thread asking how strict the 2 hour embarkation time is before sailing, someone might be contemplating getting to the ship a little late which is AGAINST THE RULES. Here is a link for your convenience:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2495874

so are individual employees. I am willing to ass-u-me that no one in this thread goes to work every day and then on payday tells his employer to just keep his check. Funny how people try to justify them breaking rules because the big bad corporation wants to make money but it is ok for them to expect to get paid and to get a raise every year. Sounds like a liberal to me! :d
exactly!

Yeah, I think it was the 18th amendment to the Bill of Rights that gave NCL permission to screw passengers for alcohol on cruises. Or maybe it was the 8th commandment.

Follow any rules you want but don't preach them to others.

I don't drink alcohol, but I do drink cherry juice to prevent another gout episode, and I've been worrying about going a week without it. You folks have given me some great ideas!

Get a more from your doctor, and let them know before you cruise and I bet they'll be ok with it.

The UBP is only good if you get it as a package with the cabin.

Otherwise at $80+ a day it's not worth a hill of beans.

Doesn't even include specialty coffee!

Bill T

I don't drink alcohol, but I do drink cherry juice to prevent another gout episode, and I've been worrying about going a week without it. You folks have given me some great ideas!

Get a doctor's note and let them know beforehand and I'll bet it will be ok to bring some on board. The bar may have some small quantities also.

Bill T

Please help me understand what you meant.

I didn't mean to ignore you. I have been thinking about this for a while but not sure how to express it. I used to be a smuggler, but when NCL introduced the UBP promotion I signed up, which is what I expect NCL wanted as there was no way they were ever going to be able to stop smuggling. Over time the UBP has been diminished to the point where, at least to me, it is barely worthwhile - wine list stinks and nicer bourbon and scotch is out of range. So if I book another NCL cruise, and if it is not in a suite, I will have a hard time selecting the UBP as a promotion. I think others are dissatisfied with the UBP promotion for this and many other reasons (see cdnsteelman post #61). Paying the $15 corkage or ordering a bar setup in the cabin is not out of the question, but I may have to resort back to smuggling my favorite liquors, no longer on the UBP. I see the UBP as a temptress, maybe its the beers calling to me.

Note: This is just a commentary on the UBP, contrary to how this sounds alcohol does not drive all my decisions.

You actually did state that your goal was to break the rules "I received 2 bottles 50 ml each of fine scotch as a gift. I was thinking that it would be nice to enjoy at a special time on our balcony." Wording your post "what experience do you have" as opposed "how can I do it" is semantics and nothing more. You wanted to know how to break the rules. Obviously you did not read your own post.

Excuse me? Where did I state that my goal was to break the rules?

"Has anyone had any experiences with bringing a small quantity of booze onto a ship without trying to smuggle in various containers?

I fully understand NCL's policy, having said that, I received 2 bottles 50 ml each of fine scotch as a gift. I was thinking that it would be nice to enjoy at a special time on our balcony. Has anyone had a small quantity "overlooked"? Confiscated?

Your arrogance is astounding to tell me what I was thinking. I did not ask what experience one has, as in tell me how to do it. It was a question regarding if anyone experienced this situation and how it was dealt with (by NCL) Is it a matter of discretion on their part?

If I was to ask whether anyone had any experience bringing a case of beer from the US to Canada after a day trip, would that mean that I am not a decent person? By law, I am not allowed to bring any alcohol unless I was away for 48 hours. I did ask on a forum and someone replied that they routinely bring back a case, providing they did not bring anything else. When I asked a customs official about this, I was told that it was not allowed (in the sense that I do not have the RIGHT to bring back a case), HOWEVER many officials do not make you pay unless it generates more than $25 in taxes. So I have many times brought back a case, declaring it every time, and most times have not have to pay. I guess according to you I am not a decent person...

Now we have to watch what advice we ask for, we may be attacked by the "rules police"!

NCL can make a myriad of rules about alcohol smuggling which would eventually end up for their lawyers to enforce, judgement and consequences currently lie within the offenders conscience.

Nor really. Tehy woudl just starting kicking smugglers off teh ship if it got out of hand, and rightfully so.

That is their prerogative, why don't you suggest they change their current policy?

It sounds free but it's not.

You always have to get a higher price category

higher category than what?

and you mentioned in another posting most lines let you bring on one bottle free, that is not true: some lines do, some allow none and all that do allow it charge a corkage fee if you drink it at your table for dinner. The corkage fee is higher on most lines than NCL charges.

Yeah, I think it was the 18th amendment to the Bill of Rights that gave NCL permission to screw passengers for alcohol on cruises. Or maybe it was the 8th commandment.

Follow any rules you want but don't preach them to others.

holy cow: this could be said about your favorite restaurant, hotel bar, or any cruise line: no one is forcing you to drink and they are all charges an arm and leg for booze. that is one of the big money makers. Would you walk into your favorite restaurant and pull out a mini bottle if no one was looking?

Has anyone had any experiences with bringing a small quantity of booze onto a ship without trying to smuggle in various containers?

I fully understand NCL's policy, having said that, I received 2 bottles 50 ml each of fine scotch as a gift. I was thinking that it would be nice to enjoy at a special time on our balcony. Has anyone had a small quantity "overlooked"? Confiscated?

Make it easy on yourself.

Put one nip in your right pocket, then one in your left pocket.

When you get to the cruise terminal, Drink the right one to start celebrations followed by the left. Toss the empty's in the X- ray bucket.;p

Enjoy a little nap on your Balcony.

Edited by biker@sea

Get a more from your doctor, and let them know before you cruise and I bet they'll be ok with it.

Bill T

Thanks for the input, perhaps I should have made it clear that 50 ml bottles are (as another poster pointed out), the 1 1/2 oz size minis, like the ones they give you on the plane. This is not about smuggling booze on so that I can get hammered, but to enjoy a gift that was given to me, all 2 drams of whisky. It was not about not "following the rules" I simply wanted to see if anyone had experience with having a minute quantity overlooked or confiscated.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, pouring into another container is out of the question as I would not chance it altering the taste. Ultimately, I'll likely just put them into a shaving kit or with DW's toiletries.

They have overlooked my mouthwash on every cruise. Hope that helps.

Make it easy on yourself.

Put one nip in your right pocket, then one in your left pocket.

When you get to the cruise terminal, Drink the right one to start celebrations followed by the left. Toss the empty's in the X- ray bucket.;p

Enjoy a little nap on your Balcony.

LMAO, I think we have a winner!

Even though we had the UBP, we brought and paid the corkage on at least 6 bottles of wine for a 10 day cruise. The wine list on the ship doesn't "float my boat" and I'm in the industry so I get screaming discounts on awesome wines. Paying $90 in corkage fees is worth it to me to have the wines I like with dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This exactly. (as an aside, what do you do in the industry? I spent about 15 years in various parts of it). Going on a seven night cruise, and thinking of bringing at least three bottles, maybe four. Some vintage champers, a Burgundy from the 90s, and probably some Napa cab. Especially if I can turn the bottles in and have them served to me anywhere on the ship, $15 bucks a bottle is a steal. I pay more than that at most restaurants.

Excuse me? Where did I state that my goal was to break the rules?

"Has anyone had any experiences with bringing a small quantity of booze onto a ship without trying to smuggle in various containers?

Your arrogance is astounding to tell me what I was thinking. I did not ask what experience one has, as in tell me how to do it. It was a question regarding if anyone experienced this situation and how it was dealt with (by NCL) Is it a matter of discretion on their part?

If I was to ask whether anyone had any experience bringing a case of beer from the US to Canada after a day trip, would that mean that I am not a decent person? By law, I am not allowed to bring any alcohol unless I was away for 48 hours. I did ask on a forum and someone replied that they routinely bring back a case, providing they did not bring anything else. When I asked a customs official about this, I was told that it was not allowed (in the sense that I do not have the RIGHT to bring back a case), HOWEVER many officials do not make you pay unless it generates more than $25 in taxes. So I have many times brought back a case, declaring it every time, and most times have not have to pay. I guess according to you I am not a decent person...

Now we have to watch what advice we ask for, we may be attacked by the "rules police"!

your kidding right????

you are asking if you can break the rules... you can spin it any way you want but you asked

The answer is YES people have had experiences bringing a small quantity of booze on ship without trying to smuggle in various containers... its called smuggling the whole small bottle on ship...

and that is against the rules so YES you are asking how to break the rules.

If you are NOT asking to break the rules... then its really a simple answer.

WITHIN the rules there is NO way to bring a small quantity of booze onto a ship. That HAS to be your answer if your not trying to break the rules.

So which is it?

A - I am trying to find a way to break the rules by bringing a small amount of alcohol on the ship

B - I am not trying to find a way to break the rules by bringing a small amount of alcohol on the ship and I realize that since there is no way to bring a small amount of alcohol on the ship without breaking the rules, I cant bring it.

your kidding right????

you are asking if you can break the rules... you can spin it any way you want but you asked

The answer is YES people have had experiences bringing a small quantity of booze on ship without trying to smuggle in various containers... its called smuggling the whole small bottle on ship...

and that is against the rules so YES you are asking how to break the rules.

If you are NOT asking to break the rules... then its really a simple answer.

WITHIN the rules there is NO way to bring a small quantity of booze onto a ship. That HAS to be your answer if your not trying to break the rules.

So which is it?

A - I am trying to find a way to break the rules by bringing a small amount of alcohol on the ship

B - I am not trying to find a way to break the rules by bringing a small amount of alcohol on the ship and I realize that since there is no way to bring a small amount of alcohol on the ship without breaking the rules, I cant bring it.

GEEZE! I guess you never break any rules? Haven't you ever gone 5mph over the speed limit??? :p:p

GEEZE! I guess you never break any rules? Haven't you ever gone 5mph over the speed limit??? :p:p

so your argument is that other people break rules so rules don't matter? Is this the best argument there is for breaking rules?

WOW!!!

This started as a simple question, and turned to all this?

We all break rules. You are the one that has to live with it.

Different strokes for different folks. :cool:

probably would have ended by now if the OP didn't ask how to break the rules and then state his goal was not to break the rules... these threads happen all the time here but usually they are at least honest about their goal. Breaking the rules. the OP wasnt so here we are

higher category than what?

and you mentioned in another posting most lines let you bring on one bottle free, that is not true: some lines do, some allow none and all that do allow it charge a corkage fee if you drink it at your table for dinner. The corkage fee is higher on most lines than NCL charges.

Royal Caribbean does not charge a corkage fee. You can bring on two bottles of wine per room and they will open it and even store it for you and serve it to you at dinner, and they don't charge you a dime to do either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are starting to sound like Hillary when the interviewer asked her directly "Have you always told the truth" and her non-answer was "I have always tried to tell the truth".

Dear Maniac,

Thank you so much for making this thread a pleasant read. Please feel free to share your opinions. It is obvious you feel they are so much better than the questions posed by the OP.

Sincerely,

Gen X Conservative