Bringing Booze on board-Real life experiences

ncstrman

Dear Maniac,

Thank you so much for making this thread a pleasant read. Please feel free to share your opinions. It is obvious you feel they are so much better than the questions posed by the OP.

Sincerely,

Gen X Conservative

I agree with Maniac... if it sounds like a duck and walks like a duck... tell them they are a duck even if they don't want to hear it. Its good to call people on BS when its obvious

Sincerely,

Cut the BS movement

I do too...LOL That said, if I brought a bottle of wine for each day on board, I think it might be cheaper for me to buy my cocktails as I go... instead of buying the UBP. I just can't see myself drinking that much. But that's just me.

The UBP is so overpriced at $80pp.

More expensive then Celebrity, CCL and Royal. Doesnt even include special coffees!

I guess if you get it built in your cabin price its not bad.

Also the $15 cork fee is a huge rippoff.

The other lines allow 1 bottle PP... FREE!

But we always get 4 on, NP

Back in the day we bought shampbooz bottles on the internet and separated them in different luggages no problems. No need now with included alcohol package...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, pouring into another container is out of the question as I would not chance it altering the taste. Ultimately, I'll likely just put them into a shaving kit or with DW's toiletries.

Excuse me? Where did I state that my goal was to break the rules?

"Has anyone had any experiences with bringing a small quantity of booze onto a ship without trying to smuggle in various containers?

I fully understand NCL's policy, having said that, I received 2 bottles 50 ml each of fine scotch as a gift. I was thinking that it would be nice to enjoy at a special time on our balcony. Has anyone had a small quantity "overlooked"? Confiscated?

Your arrogance is astounding to tell me what I was thinking. I did not ask what experience one has, as in tell me how to do it. It was a question regarding if anyone experienced this situation and how it was dealt with (by NCL) Is it a matter of discretion on their part?

If I was to ask whether anyone had any experience bringing a case of beer from the US to Canada after a day trip, would that mean that I am not a decent person? By law, I am not allowed to bring any alcohol unless I was away for 48 hours. I did ask on a forum and someone replied that they routinely bring back a case, providing they did not bring anything else. When I asked a customs official about this, I was told that it was not allowed (in the sense that I do not have the RIGHT to bring back a case), HOWEVER many officials do not make you pay unless it generates more than $25 in taxes. So I have many times brought back a case, declaring it every time, and most times have not have to pay. I guess according to you I am not a decent person...

Now we have to watch what advice we ask for, we may be attacked by the "rules police"!

To be clear - I couldn't care less about whether or not you bring the Mini's on. That being said; own what you say. Prior to stating 'who said my goal was to break the rules' you stated that you planned to put the minis in the toiletries bag.... so therefore, breaking the rules.

Lots of back and forth on this issue...we found it was a little unclear when we last sailed on the Spirit in Europe. Some ports had the port authority scan our bags (and frankly they seemed like they could care less what we brought back from our day in port) and sometimes the ship scanned our bags (and sent us to the table to pay our corkage fee). I bought a full sized bottle of red in Florence as well as a mini bottle, about a glass or maybe 1 1/2 glasses ... it was so cute!). I told the lady who was checking our bags that I had the mini bottle and asked if I should take it to the table to pay a corkage fee, and she just waved me though. Other times we had a bottle but were scanned by the port authority and never had a problem or an issue. This was in 2013 so I'm not sure if things have changed. We figure the wines in Italy are cheap and good so I have no problem paying just a few euros for a basic Italian red and then pay the corkage so I can enjoy my glass or wine as we sail away. :)

It was a joke. Now unbunch your panties.

Panties are never bunched up...:p

your 'joke' is used as the main excuse every single time on these threads... that happens to be the serious answer to this topic when debating so your 'joke' is seen as the legitimate reason for some people that needs to sleep at night when they break the rules.

If you were joking... then disregard but in every single thread like this , your 'joke' is a serious response so there is no way to tell

Back in the day we bought shampbooz bottles on the internet and separated them in different luggages no problems. No need now with included alcohol package...

The bev package is included if you spend more for the needed catagory .

Otherwise at $80+ a day its highway robbery.

Lousy drink package

Correct, but doesn't some of the cruise lines charge a corkage fee if you bring them to the restaurants or other public places?

Perhaps they do but theres a way around it.

Just bring 2 very full glasses of wine to the table.

• 1 month later...
Rules are meant to be broken. With the UBP now, I haven't snuck on booze in a while, but I used to all the time. To the holier than thou crowd, I don't care what you think :D;p

Ditto. Rum runners work very well. Used to also use some re-purposed root beer bottles. Haven't done so recently due to free UBP

That said - if it is just a 50 ML bottle - I am assuming those are like the airplane minis' . Just carry them on - put them in your toiletries kit. Shoot, I have a couple of rum bottles in there that I have carried on multiple times (I keep forgetting I have them for an emergency :) )

Edited by Maverick61

"Has anyone had any experiences with bringing a small quantity of booze onto a ship without trying to smuggle in various containers?

I fully understand NCL's policy, having said that, I received 2 bottles 50 ml each of fine scotch as a gift. I was thinking that it would be nice to enjoy at a special time on our balcony. Has anyone had a small quantity "overlooked"? Confiscated?

To answer this which maybe got lost in my previous post - I have had a small quantity overlooked multiple times

I have had a couple mini bottles of rum in my toiletries case for at least 5 cruises now. All with metal caps. Actually I have forgotten they are there. never questioned or confiscated once.

I believe the tip off is the outline of the bottle - if it looks like a bottle of booze well it must be. With rum runners the imaging

machine does not see the outline of a bottle cause there is no bottle. The imaging machines are not as sensitive as the TSA

airport ones but they do zero in on the logical shapes of booze bottles and other common related items. They also look for

WMD (weapons of mass destruction) dive knives and toy tools to play erector set with a modern riveted ship.

A couple of those 50ml airline type are not going to be of concern (cosmetics mouth wash whatever) but if you have pilfered the

entire galley of an airplane that is going to be hard to overlook.

Using the manufactures original yellow carton i.e. 12 bottles of Kentucky hooch 10 year old 86% proof for your checked luggage

is sure to raise some eye brows - is this for real - really ?

I have tried with a fair amount of success several methods of sneaking the nectar of the gods on board.

One I haven't tried yet is drone delivery by Amazon-dot-com - the extreme for sure !

With all the fuss over sneaking booze - the UBP pretty much ends this enterprise after all you can't bring an entire bar

on board to cover all the booze types you would like drink. So you don't subscribe to the UBP buy the drinks individually

in the quantity that your budget allows.

Is it really worth the hassle of a visit to the "naughty room" lugging and hiding it in places that are already known to NCL ?

Great so you managed to get that special vintage aged whiskey on board in a mouth wash bottle - now the pleasure of

opening this non sterile vessel with an odd tasting liquid in it to toast your triumph over NCL policy - gee that was just great

the subtle lingering after taste of 2016 Listerine in with that 10 year old Kentucky vintage ! Still makes great mouth wash !

Not much has changed except for the price of booze; packages; gratuities/taxes and ways to bring it on board !

Makes for great reading - PS I am not divulging my hidden ways - I am not contributing to the solution to the problem ! LOL !

A few years ago we boarded after spending a night in a hotel. We had a bottle of wine to drink in the hotel, but due to cocktails with dinner, we didn't open it. It was in some hand luggage and I had forgotten about it. Well, you would have thought we were smuggling booze for a party of 20 on board!! The attitude was nasty, and 'did we know we would have to pay a corkage fee'? Yes, we did. The wine was not worth the corkage fee but at that point we didn't care. The worst part was that in all the commotion we left a small piece of luggage behind and it contained my DH's favorite wine opener. We never recovered it, but I did just recently find an exact replica at a thrift shop!! The best 5 cents I ever spent.

To answer this which maybe got lost in my previous post - I have had a small quantity overlooked multiple times

I have had a couple mini bottles of rum in my toiletries case for at least 5 cruises now. All with metal caps. Actually I have forgotten they are there. never questioned or confiscated once.

I did that on my last cruise this year. I only took one tiny bottle(original container) of rum inside my toiletries and they never stopped me.