Birth Certificate, Driver's License, and Marriage License?

mmbaldwin

Hello all!

We are cruising on May 28th on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore.

This is my first cruise since my name changed after marriage three years ago. (other than our honeymoon - but I sailed with my maiden name on that trip)

I have my original sealed birth certificate, an original sealed copy of my marriage license, and my driver's license.

Obviously my maiden name is different than my new name.

Will this be enough documentation?

I've read the carnival boards and believe I'm okay, but would love to hear from someone in this situation who sailed out of baltimore recently.

I have barely enough time to apply for a passport card and get it in time.

Closed loop cruise.... you should be fine! However taking advice from a travel forum And total strangers is not a wise idea.

Go to your online acct for this sailing and review what YOUR cruiseline says are the Required documents.

Have a great cruise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Closed loop cruise.... you should be fine! However taking advice from a travel forum And total strangers is not a wise idea.

Go to your online acct for this sailing and review what YOUR cruiseline says are the Required documents.

Have a great cruise :)

Sounds like she did read what CCL has to say and is now soliciting input from others regarding their direct experience, which all too often can be different than what is written.

OP, we sailed on the Pride and used the exact same documentation you had. The check in lady didn't even want to see our marriage certificate, but we did have it just in case.

The check in lady didn't even want to see our marriage certificate, but we did have it just in case.

We run about 50/50 on them even looking at the marriage certificate.

It is the right documentation. But, if you plan to cruise much in the future, it might be a good idea to get a passport. The only problem with THAT, at this time, is that you send your original birth certificate to get the passport. If you have another original copy you could do it, but if not, skip it until next time. Two of my daughters have recently applied for passports and one got it in 10 days. The other took almost 6 weeks.

It is the right documentation. But, if you plan to cruise much in the future, it might be a good idea to get a passport. The only problem with THAT, at this time, is that you send your original birth certificate to get the passport. If you have another original copy you could do it, but if not, skip it until next time. Two of my daughters have recently applied for passports and one got it in 10 days. The other took almost 6 weeks.

If the OP chose to apply copies could be made of the birth cert and that could be used for boarding if necessary.

Not for a cruise. Passport card would work. ;)

For a closed loop cruise (begins and ends in the same US port) you are correct. But a passport card will do you no good if you need to fly back to the US during the cruise due to an emergency, unlikely but always possible. If your going to go through the effort to get the card pay the little extra and get a book instead.

Anything other than a closed loop cruise requires a passport book.

For a closed loop cruise (begins and ends in the same US port) you are correct. But a passport card will do you no good if you need to fly back to the US during the cruise due to an emergency, unlikely but always possible. If your going to go through the effort to get the card pay the little extra and get a book instead.

Anything other than a closed loop cruise requires a passport book.

We considered the options and went with the passcards due to the cost. We got all the passcards for $275 vs $775 for passports. Timeframe and budget did not allowed is to do the latter. But if the budget was no issue, I would have preferred the passports for sure!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

I've always sailed with a passport. I will be renewing mine with my last name. I just wasn't sure if it was necessary before we leave.

I wouldn't need to mail anything in. I'm 45 minutes from the Department of State in DC where I could go in person to obtain it. But still a turnaround time required for that.

Have never needed a marriage certificate. We always simply use BC and DL...they are basically looking at the birth dates, to make sure they match. The BC is to confirm you're an American Citizen...the DL is to confirm your identity.

Have never needed a marriage certificate. We always simply use BC and DL...they are basically looking at the birth dates, to make sure they match. The BC is to confirm you're an American Citizen...the DL is to confirm your identity.

No! The names on the document must match or you may be asked for the linking document for the different names.

Do not be mislead by any posters who frequently post misleading, useless or totally wrong information.

I have always wondered why they needed a marriage certificate if you have a driver's license. States require proof of your marriage before they will change your name to your married name. Your license has your picture on it for most states. That license now becomes your legal proof of identity.

No! The names on the document must match or you may be asked for the linking document for the different names.

Do not be mislead by any posters who frequently post misleading, useless or totally wrong information.

For a woman, as long as your photo ID matches, exactly, the name you "booked" under you only need the ID and your birth certificate confirming you are a US citizen for sailings originating in the US. A marriage certificate is only needed if you booked under your married name but have not updated your driver's license.

Non US citizens need a passport. If you are a US citizen, do not have a passport, and you were born outside of the US you will need your naturalization papers. Legal US aliens (ie students, green card holders) will need their documentation.

As others have said it is best to read the Carnival regs and come prepared. Here is the link (read it all):

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/category/~/travel-documentation-and-online-check-in/~/travel-documents/c/406

I have always wondered why they needed a marriage certificate if you have a driver's license. States require proof of your marriage before they will change your name to your married name. Your license has your picture on it for most states. That license now becomes your legal proof of identity.

To link the BC to the DL since the names no longer match.

For a woman, as long as your photo ID matches, exactly, the name you "booked" under you only need the ID and your birth certificate confirming you are a US citizen for sailings originating in the US. A marriage certificate is only needed if you booked under your married name but have not updated your driver's license.

Non US citizens need a passport. If you are a US citizen, do not have a passport, and you were born outside of the US you will need your naturalization papers. Legal US aliens (ie students, green card holders) will need their documentation.

As others have said it is best to read the Carnival regs and come prepared. Here is the link (read it all):

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/category/~/travel-documentation-and-online-check-in/~/travel-documents/c/406

Once again the devil is in the details and reading comprehension. The mistake is in only reading a part of the information.

Carnival FAQs only give advice and are not regulations.

The link above only gives part of the information because the paragraphs above the quoted section gives clear definition what is considered travel documents [use of a passport or combination of government issued photo ID (driver's license for many AND birth certificate)] and has the following statement:

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the guest's full name on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest's non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

The problem if one does not have the linking documentation is not when one is boarding the ship (all documentation is not always checked) but when one tries to enter the country and the birth certificate name does not match the driver's license name and there is no linking documentation. Then there might be an issue.

Once again, please be careful with posters who frequently post (under different user's names?) misleading, useless or totally wrong information.

If the OP chose to apply copies could be made of the birth cert and that could be used for boarding if necessary.

Since required documents are an ORIGINAL birth certificate, I wouldn't recommend going that route. Copies are not original documentation.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

But the states have already verified the name change. that makes it a legal document with the legal name change.

.....both are legal documents but the link that needs to be made is that the two are connected to the same person. That process is easy for males because the names and DOB match, not so easy for females with a name change.

Just because you have Jane Doe standing in front of you with her DL does not mean the BC she has for Jane Smith is connected. It is not uncommon for people to share similar names with the same DOB.

Since required documents are an ORIGINAL birth certificate, I wouldn't recommend going that route. Copies are not original documentation.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Sorry, this is incorrect. The DHS regulations specify that an original or a copy of an official birth certificate may be used for a closed loop cruise. I used a photocopy of my birth certificate to board the Pride. While an original is best in case something happens it is good to keep in mind that a copy will work (I just participated in a thread where a gentleman had applied at the Miami passport office for an expedited passport and the office closed because of flooding with his cruise only days away. He was not able to obtain his passport in time for the cruise but was able to board the cruise with a photocopy of his birth certificate.)