He!p My husband decide about purchasing Prestige Beverage package

St Paul Girl

Sorry for going off topic but, an small ship across the Atlantic in December? We were on the Rivieria on Feb/March in the Caribbean and there were some weather days and the ship moved around a lot. Lots of people ill. The good news is there is no line ups at the bar and the specialty restaurants will have cancellations :)

I am to this day, astounded, that people with all sorts of sensitivities take cruises... knowing full well than ALL ships vibrate, roll pitch and yaw whether a rowboat or an aircraft carrier ! WHY???????

Honestly, it has been my observation after many many cruises, that many people talk themselves into being sick... and their mind set is that they will become ill, and cover themselves with all sorts of patches and bands:loudcry:. Whereas others con on board, with no preconceived notion that they will become effected and do just fine !;p

A lot is psychosomatic in nature. its a lot how you think you will be, just as much as what you experience.

It is all time and motion, the row boat will be first to exhibit motion due to its mass but the Aircraft Carrier will a bit later exhibit the same. Once its mass gets moving. When the ocean flattens out the row boat will stop long lone before the aircraft carrier.....its physics amigos

I agree these overly sensitive people do create outstanding opportunities for reservations and the like....

Very simply, based on the pour size 1 oz and 4 oz for wine adding 18% for what would be a triple, scotch or Canadian. and 2 pours of 4 oz wine and and your pushing $75-80.....ok add one more wine and your nearing $100. add 1 more double ( 2 oz)scotch and your well over $110-120:o

a O pours are not the equal of what you get at home or in your local bar Most folks always order doubles and receive a drink like they get normally. If there is any doubt, go the first 2 or 3 days keeping a total and then make the decision.

It has been my experience on the last 3 cruises than you can add the package at any time:hearteyes:

Wow, a 4 oz glass of wine! That seals the deal on the premium package! I have heard of 5 oz pours for wine but never a 4 oz. At home my husband gets 3 glasses of wine from a standard bottle, approximately 8 oz.

Again this information is very insightful and appreciated.

If that is the case, why in the World do you continue to book those itineraries with the greatest chance of rough weather (transatlantic)? :halo:

The discount is irresistible, eh? :evilsmile:

Jim & Stan: I think I may have not been clear. The rough seas on the average TA that we have taken have lasted no more than 24 hours. And I never had a sleepless night, just one that wasn't fully restful. We take TAs to avoid long unpleasant plane flights and to arrive without jet lag. Plus we enjoy sea days. The pleasures of being on a ship coupled with the joy of avoidance of unpleasant long air travel far outweigh and discomfort from high seas.

Wow, a 4 oz glass of wine! That seals the deal on the premium package! I have heard of 5 oz pours for wine but never a 4 oz. At home my husband gets 3 glasses of wine from a standard bottle, approximately 8 oz.

Again this information is very insightful and appreciated.

It could be 4-5 in 8 oz wine glasses Nevertheless,, what you described as your "normal" rate of consumption your looking at $100 a day easy ( I have seen in warm climes people casual drinking run $200+ bills each without knowing it... 3 glasses from a bottle... Your husband would have to order 5 wines at $12-20 with tip..oer glass That $60 to $100 in Wine... add a 3 oz scotch for $40-50 ( depending on the brand and your in the mid hundred range..........

One caution on the package, I think it is only practical to get for cruises shorter than 14 days as ones ability to drink heavily diminishes over time. Maybe where your 20-30 but not at 60 saving money is one thing health is another consideration to ponder.

I am to this day, astounded, that people with all sorts of sensitivities take cruises... knowing full well than ALL ships vibrate, roll pitch and yaw whether a rowboat or an aircraft carrier ! WHY???????

Honestly, it has been my observation after many many cruises, that many people talk themselves into being sick... and their mind set is that they will become ill, and cover themselves with all sorts of patches and bands:loudcry:. Whereas others con on board, with no preconceived notion that they will become effected and do just fine !;p

A lot is psychosomatic in nature. its a lot how you think you will be, just as much as what you experience.

It is all time and motion, the row boat will be first to exhibit motion due to its mass but the Aircraft Carrier will a bit later exhibit the same. Once its mass gets moving. When the ocean flattens out the row boat will stop long lone before the aircraft carrier.....its physics amigos

I agree these overly sensitive people do create outstanding opportunities for reservations and the like....

Are you in some way admonishing me? As you quoted what I posted? Was my post aggravating enough to you to make comment on it? My intent was only to inform and share my experience not in any way complaining or criticizing.

What is your intent? To belittle people that get motion sickness??

What is your intent? To belittle people that get motion sickness??

I don't always agree with Dan, but it seems to me that asking why a person who is effected by Motion Sickness deliberately exposes themselves to the motion of a sea voyage is a legitimate question.

I don't always agree with Dan, but it seems to me that asking why a person who is effected by Motion Sickness deliberately exposes themselves to the motion of a sea voyage is a legitimate question.

Thank you for understanding..... its a question that confounds me every cruise... Its not meant to demean you. I am just puzzled. why people shell out serious money for an experience they are uncomfortable with.

It to me is like people who dont like Mexican food, complaining when they visit Mexican restaurants they dont like the food. I recently read a list of complaints published by vacation goers, several amused me, :

"We went to Spain and all they served was Spanish food and everyone spoke Spanish....we were NOT told there would be so many foreigners in Spain". and " The resort by the sea was terrible, no one told us there were fish in the water, they scared me." Seems similiar?

It could be 4-5 in 8 oz wine glasses Nevertheless,, what you described as your "normal" rate of consumption your looking at $100 a day easy ( I have seen in warm climes people casual drinking run $200+ bills each without knowing it... 3 glasses from a bottle... Your husband would have to order 5 wines at $12-20 with tip..oer glass That $60 to $100 in Wine... add a 3 oz scotch for $40-50 ( depending on the brand and your in the mid hundred range..........

One caution on the package, I think it is only practical to get for cruises shorter than 14 days as ones ability to drink heavily diminishes over time. Maybe where your 20-30 but not at 60 saving money is one thing health is another consideration to ponder.

Hi Hawaiian Dan, this is St Paul Girl's other half, St Paul Boy, Gary. I will definitely purchase the premium beverage package when we are on out cruise. I am 65 years old, having been having that drink before dinner for at least 40 years with a glass of wine as well. I also have been an avid runner for 50 years and continue to exercise the same way that I have been doing for the past 50 years. It is all about your physical health situation. I have an annual physical and my DR always says to continue to do the same that I am doing!

I have a 93 year old Aunt who have been doing the same as me for her entire life as well as my father who did the same.

Life is too short and we only get one swing at the bat, so live life to it's maximum, knowing what you have been dealt.:whiskey-glass:

A toast to life and all of it's curve balls!

Hi Hawaiian Dan, this is St Paul Girl's other half, St Paul Boy, Gary. I will definitely purchase the premium beverage package when we are on out cruise. I am 65 years old, having been having that drink before dinner for at least 40 years with a glass of wine as well. I also have been an avid runner for 50 years and continue to exercise the same way that I have been doing for the past 50 years. It is all about your physical health situation. I have an annual physical and my DR always says to continue to do the same that I am doing!

I have a 93 year old Aunt who have been doing the same as me for her entire life as well as my father who did the same.

Life is too short and we only get one swing at the bat, so live life to it's maximum, knowing what you have been dealt.:whiskey-glass:

A toast to life and all of it's curve balls!

I like your style!

It to me is like people who dont like Mexican food, complaining when they visit Mexican restaurants they dont like the food. I recently read a list of complaints published by vacation goers, several amused me, :

"We went to Spain and all they served was Spanish food and everyone spoke Spanish....we were NOT told there would be so many foreigners in Spain". and " The resort by the sea was terrible, no one told us there were fish in the water, they scared me." Seems similiar?

And here are some more examples of expectations not being met...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blogdramedy/idiotic-travel-complaints_b_4073107.html

I traveled on the Sirena with the Classic Package and never had short pours of wine and my glass did not remain empty for long no matter how large the pour. I respect Dan's opinions and have learned a lot from him but he got me all worked up over the drink package for nothing. I was very happy with the selection and the service.

I guess you need to ask all of the people that are in their cabins during heavy sea days and, there are a lot. In context, some folks have been on numerous cruise on the "bigger" ships and motion of those large ships is minimal but on smaller ships like Oceania, motion can be felt far more.

Thank you for understanding..... its a question that confounds me every cruise... Its not meant to demean you. I am just puzzled. why people shell out serious money for an experience they are uncomfortable with.

Folks are gravitating towards Oceania from other cruise lines. Often from Celebrity or Royal Caribbean with very large, very stable ships. Oceania are quite small by comparison and do move about a lot more.

I understood the gist of your post. I questioned you because your response was using a quote by me. As I said, it was to pass information, not to judge.

I traveled on the Sirena with the Classic Package and never had short pours of wine and my glass did not remain empty for long no matter how large the pour. I respect Dan's opinions and have learned a lot from him but he got me all worked up over the drink package for nothing. I was very happy with the selection and the service.

sometimes you cannot believe everything you read here :)

I have never had any short pours & we do not take the beverage packages

DH's drinks are always strong & he has to add more mix

Hey, it has been my experience that O pours short.. and to get a regular Martini you have to order a double, which a great number of posters here have also referred to.

And the wine pours I experienced in Polo, Terrace and Main Dining room varied cruise to cruise never more than 2/3 of a 8 oz glass... most were a shade over half, and it varies waiter to waiter sometimes rapid refill...other times not..

I sat at a number of bars and watched them pour exact 1 oz measures. and many times just estimate it....

The bottom line is that if you drink at all the wisest move is to get the prem package as a hedge against steep booze prices... 2 glasses of Cham will run your almost $45 Schramsberg

St Pauli folks, If you can take heavy drinking daily thats cool, Me after 12 days I gotta quit.. I just offered my perspective not everyone can power em down for extended periods, without health problems. Just a caution to consider:confused:.

Hey, it has been my experience that O pours short.. and to get a regular Martini you have to order a double, which a great number of posters here have also referred to.

And the wine pours I experienced in Polo, Terrace and Main Dining room varied cruise to cruise never more than 2/3 of a 8 oz glass... most were a shade over half, and it varies waiter to waiter sometimes rapid refill...other times not..

I sat at a number of bars and watched them pour exact 1 oz measures. and many times just estimate it....

The bottom line is that if you drink at all the wisest move is to get the prem package as a hedge against steep booze prices... 2 glasses of Cham will run your almost $45 ......

........:confused:.

I agree with your assessment and experienced the exact same thing. I too saw one ounce jigger pours at all the bars. I do not know what peoples definition of "short" pours are though. Less than one ounce or less than 1 1/2 ounce? In martinis, a standard pour is normally 2 ounces.

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/forums/topic/2458-what-are-standard-pour-sizes/

I agree with your assessment and experienced the exact same thing. I too saw one ounce jigger pours at all the bars. I do not know what peoples definition of "short" pours are though. Less than one ounce or less than 1 1/2 ounce? In martinis, a standard pour is normally 2 ounces.

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/forums/topic/2458-what-are-standard-pour-sizes/

The std pour is 1/.5 oz ashore in USA....with a normal over pour of God knows what.... I have seen too the bartender sizing up the customer and pouring to what they think will be satisifying. measure be dammed... and I do not me over 1.0 oz You can get real shorts....and take it in the shorts

One last question, we have chosen the O-Life on-board credit of $800 as opposed to the regular beverage package(for 2) because I do NOT drink alcohol. We also have more on-board credit from our TA that I was going to use to buy my husband the premium package when we are boarding.

I did a simple math calculation and it is slightly cheaper if we both take(mandatory) the O-Life regular package and then just upgrade him for the $20 a day when we board!

Is this kosher? Can one of us upgrade to the premium without the other? It just seems a little bizarre that I don't drink alcohol but am getting the package but it is cheaper.

Your assistance as always is greatly appreciated!

It's not a problem. Both people do NOT have to take the drink package. When it was first announced I recall that they did say both would have to take it, but apparently they changed their minds pretty quickly on that score. I think the concern is always if one person takes a package and then "shares" it with their partner. Since you don't drink at all, that won't be a problem!

Mura

One last question, we have chosen the O-Life on-board credit of $800 as opposed to the regular beverage package(for 2) because I do NOT drink alcohol. We also have more on-board credit from our TA that I was going to use to buy my husband the premium package when we are boarding.

I did a simple math calculation and it is slightly cheaper if we both take(mandatory) the O-Life regular package and then just upgrade him for the $20 a day when we board!

Is this kosher? Can one of us upgrade to the premium without the other? It just seems a little bizarre that I don't drink alcohol but am getting the package but it is cheaper.

Your assistance as always is greatly appreciated!

Yes you can upgrade your DH without a problem

I don't believe that it is correct to say that the package may be added "at any time".

The original rule stated that one had three days at the start of the cruise to add the Package for the remaining duration of the cruise.

Stan, as I said earlier (or maybe elsewhere) on our cruises in 2016 on Nautica and Sirena there were announcements each day in Currents that the package was available for purchase. So I assume that it WAS available throughout the cruise. We didn't take advantage of the offer so I don't know if they might have responded on Day #5 by saying it was too late to purchase the package.

Mura

What about Martinis? My husband likes Bombay Sapphire. I know that if they skimp on his favorite drink he will not be a happy camper and it will be back to Crystal for us.

Someone onboard the Riviera mentioned that Oceania's martini's are "thimble size". I second that! However, I hear that the martini glasses in "Martini's Lounge" are a bit bigger (not sure if they fill them any with more alcohol). IMO, Oceania has the smallest pours that I have ever seen (except in Canada and the U.K.) We purchase the Premium Alcohol Package for convenience and to have what those of us in the U.S. consider "normal" drinks!

How can they check that you are not 'sharing' prestige drinks package??:evilsmile:

One utilizes the Beverage Packages by presenting a World Card, which has your picture associated (the one which you see at the gangway when leaving or entering the ship).

How can they check that you are not 'sharing' prestige drinks package??:evilsmile:

The ships are not that big & the crew have VERY good memories

So if you plan on getting a drink then going back a few minutes later they will know you are sharing

Your card is scanned so it will also show when/where your last drink was purchased

You can take spirits onboard & drink in your cabin if that works better for you

Oceania has a liberal policy & if people start abusing the generous policy they may close that for all people who follow the rules

JMO