Traditional Dining Versus Anytime Dining Service

Momma Rene

They did away with the sommelier's a few years ago. The Table waiters, assist you with that. Also, I prefer traditional dinning over anytime, as I enjoy having the same waiter and junior waiter, along with the same table every night. They learn your habits, and personalize and cater to you.

They did away with the sommelier's a few years ago. The Table waiters, assist you with that. Also, I prefer traditional dinning over anytime, as I enjoy having the same waiter and junior waiter, along with the same table every night. They learn your habits, and personalize and cater to you.

I was thinking that I am introducing our friends to Princess and Alaska. They are coming off a river cruise where they are being catered to every minute. I want them to have a wonderful experience. He loves wines and is on the beverage package. I'm thinking the traditional dining may be a better experience for us. Anyone have any experience with it?

I was thinking that I am introducing our friends to Princess and Alaska. They are coming off a river cruise where they are being catered to every minute. I want them to have a wonderful experience. He loves wines and is on the beverage package. I'm thinking the traditional dining may be a better experience for us. Anyone have any experience with it?

If he likes wine then get your wine at Vines. Much better than the "by the glass" selection in MDR. With the beverage package he can also get any bottle of wine under $100 at a 40% discount. Those bottles can be shared with anybody or even given away to anybody regardless of whether they have the beverage package or not.

We usually do TD rather than ATD but have done both. TD can sometimes be a slower proposition depending on your table mates but, since you are sailing with friends, you will probably request a table that only seats you and your friends. That is one advantage of TD as you will have the same table and same wait staff every night so they learn your likes and wants.

Anytime Dining is a bit of a misnomer as, depending on when you want to eat, you may face a wait as so many others want to eat at that time as well. It should really have the name changed to something like Open Dining.

Your friend will definitely find Princess to be quite a bit different experience than the river cruises.

If you want a table for four every evening choose Traditional Dining. Your waiters & head waiter will get to know your preferences. In ATD you may or may not be able to get a four seat table each evening, and probably will not get the same waiters.

On Princess, with many evening activities to choose from, I see the advantage of ATD as being able to plan dining around your preferred evening activities rather than visa versa.

You didn't say, but if you and your friends are in Club Class Mini Suites or Full Suites you will get Club Class Dining, which is ATD in a special area of the DR, but with enhanced service, additional menu items, and no real issues with requested table size.

If you want a table for four every evening choose Traditional Dining. Your waiters & head waiter will get to know your preferences. In ATD you may or may not be able to get a four seat table each evening, and probably will not get the same waiters.

On Princess, with many evening activities to choose from, I see the advantage of ATD as being able to plan dining around your preferred evening activities rather than visa versa.

You didn't say, but if you and your friends are in Club Class Mini Suites or Full Suites you will get Club Class Dining, which is ATD in a special area of the DR, but with enhanced service, additional menu items, and no real issues with requested table size.

We are in a mini suite but not club class. We wanted the corner aft cabin because we are doing Alaska. Wish all the mini suites have the club class! I would have done it.....

Do Anytime. Wine service will be no better in the Traditional room. Plus Vines is on deck 5 in the Piazza which is near the Anytime rooms. On the Ruby those are the Michelangelo on desk 5 and DaVinci on 6. You can relax and enjoy your wine then leisurely head to dinner when you like. If there is a wait and you get a beeper just stay at Vines and enjoy. The signal reaches there.

We had an excellent young man as our "wine steward" in Vines on one cruise. He was truly enjoyable and helpful. We not only gave him a tip (in an envelope with his name, our names, and our cabin number as is proper) but also put in the "made a difference" card and specifically mentioned him by name on the post-cruise survey. His was from the Philippines and his name was Christopher.

Christopher_zpscw6rtwmy.jpg

The wines available by the glass in the MDR (which are included in the beverage package) aren't the greatest, unfortunately. Below average, in my opinion. On our next cruise, on Royal around the Mediterranean, we're seriously considering not getting the AIBP and are hoping that wine packages will be available on this ship.

We prefer Anytime but you might enjoy having Traditional more so you could have the same waiter every night. ;)

Can't you make reservations in ATD for the same table, time and wait staff? I had heard that it could be done for the entire cruise all at once. True?? Of course, reserving for the entire cruise negates the option to plan dinner around activities.

He loves wines and is on the beverage package.

Make sure your friend has played around with the math before committing to the All-Inclusive Beverage Package. If the drink of choice is wine, it can be a money loser. First, the package only covers wines by the glass up to $10. If your friend really loves wine and is choosy about what he orders, he might not find many selections under $10 that are up to his standards. As for bottles, he can get a 40% discount on bottles priced up to $100. But if he buys a $70 bottle, in order to save $28 (40% of the purchase price), he has to spend roughly $58 for the package. Spending $58 to save $28 is a losing proposition. Even if he buys 2 bottles per day, every day, for $70 per bottle, he is still under water. The most that one can save is $39 by buying a $99 bottle. (Not sure if there are any of those). Bottom line is that one has to buy multiple bottles at or close to the $99 maximum in order to come out ahead on the Package. Of course, if he supplements his wine drinking with additional cocktails, the math changes. So just be sure that he has a firm grip on what his drinking preferences will be before he commits to the package.

If he really loves wine, his best option is to bring bottles on board and pay the $15 corkage fee. He may not be aware that Princess has a very liberal wine policy and that passengers can bring as much of their own wine as they wish. One bottle per adult comes on board free of charge and additional bottles are assessed a $15 fee at the time of boarding. So if there are four adults, between the whole group, you can bring on 4 free bottles and then tack on an additional 4 at the total cost ($60) of one day's worth of the Package. Four people can bring on board an entire case for less than the Package costs for only 2 days. (Plus the sunk cost of the wine, of course. But if he already owns the wine, that money has long been bought and paid for.)