Venice Cruise Terminal to Santa Lucia train station

Kingsbridge

I am disembarking in Venice in October and need some advice on how to get to the Santa Lucia train station. I am a woman in my late 70's and fairly agile but I am traveling solo and will have a 25" rolling suitcase and a carry on bag. The walk to the people mover is only one challenge. If I take the people mover and manage to get to Piazzale Roma, the steps on the bridge look very daunting to someone with a suitcase. I understand that there is an elevator to the side of the train station and can look for that, but how should I get from the cruise terminal itself to the station? Vaporetto? Water taxi? Walk to people mover? I haven't bought a train ticket yet and at this point I am considering getting a plane ticket and a cruise ship transfer, but maybe I am just exaggerating a problem. Any advice from someone who has done it would be helpful.

A common recommendation I've seen in situations like yours is to actually take a land taxi directly from the port to the Mestre train station and catch your train from there. Almost all, if not all, trains from Venice stop there too. That way you don't need to walk much, use the People Mover or navigate the bridge across the canal. It's probably worth the taxi fare, in my opinion.

A common recommendation I've seen in situations like yours is to actually take a land taxi directly from the port to the Mestre train station and catch your train from there. Almost all, if not all, trains from Venice stop there too. That way you don't need to walk much, use the People Mover or navigate the bridge across the canal. It's probably worth the taxi fare, in my opinion.

This was my thought also. Get on the train at Mestre and take a land taxi from the port. I'm not sure of the actual fare (less than 50 euro I'd think) but certainly less than a water taxi and about the least hassle you can have in Venice, where getting around with luggage is a real challenge at times.

Yes, absolutely what they've said. A land taxi to Mestre is the easiest option and it's both less expensive and easier than a water taxi to Santa Lucia. (By easier, I mean that it's not all that easy to climb down into a water taxi and back out.)

Definitely do not walk from the cruiseport to Santa Lucia as previous posters have emphasized! My DH aged 71 at the time, our friend who was 69 and myself at age 67 walked to the cruiseport from the train station with 25 in bags and heavy carryons (ours were backpacks). It was a struggle but we did it and kudos to DH who helped with our friend's luggage to the Best Western Hotel Olympia, where we left our carryons while we dropped out big bags at the ship! The people mover wasn't too bad, but from there to the cruise terminal is a hike. Our friend did not cruise with us and wisely booked a transport service to take her to the airport from the hotel.

The bridges are quite difficult to maneuver with roll-on luggage!

Just chat to others on the ship and you are sure to find others happy to share a taxi. Our friends did this a few years back, 4 in a taxi, mediums size case and hand luggage each and total was 50 euro to the airport. Think I read recently that there is now a set price for taxi ship to airport in venice.

Agree don't walk it, we did as we had come from Rome by train the morning of our cruise, the people mover and walk to ship wasn't too hard but getting over the bridge was a real challenge. There are porters there who will take your luggage over for a price but handing over my luggage to a stranger is not within my comfort zone. We were in our 50s and 60s.

Also consider the bus, depending on your destination. We took a bus/train to vienna from the ship. The bus leaves close to the ship.

Are you going to santa lucia to catch a train to the airport or extending your trip post cruise?

If you're trying to get to the airport there's a bus that you can take from Piazzale Roma.

When we were there last fall there was a free shuttle from the ship to the people mover. Elevators are available at the stations. The bus stop is around the corner in the plaza. Buy the ticket from the store front and wait for the bus at lane 5.

The steps at the bridge are not one would imagine as normal steps. They (step) have about a 6 inch rise and a 18-24" platform so if you can lift your luggage 6" and take your time, you can do it.

We just returned from an 11 day cruise on the NCL Spirit R/T Venice and went from the cruise ship to San Lucia train station and caught a fast train to Rome.

NCL had baggage check in right after we got off the ship and they delivered all our luggage to the train station for us. I think it was 8 euro per bag, but well worth it to us. The walk was not bad at all with no luggage. It took a while to find out where our luggage was stored, but it worked for us. We loved the train trip.

Unless you have a very specific reason to go to Santa Lucia, I always prefer the regular Public Bus with departure from Piazalle Roma - takes you right to Mestre Railway Station. From Santa Lucia, you will have to change trains in Mestre anyway.

Almost ALL cruise ships dock at the Venice Passenger Terminal. The other possible dock is San Basilico but only Silverseas and Seabourn dock there.

The walk to the People Mover from the Passenger Terminal depends on what terminal your cruise ship is docked - the closest terminal is no more than 300 meters away, the farthest can be more around 800 meters. The People Mover Station does have an elevator and it will take you to Piazzale Roma (also with an elevator). From the Piazzale Roma to Santa Lucia the walk is pretty smooth (400 meters) and, YES, you will have to cross a bridge (modern design) BUT this has both smooth steps and also ramps that make it very easy to transport luggage. No idea what other bridges fellow travelers have been crossing.

Taxies CANNOT drive to Santa Lucia - no roads to take you there - but will take you to Piazzale Roma for no less than €20 - ridiculous and not worth it. A taxi to Mestre Railway Station will cost over €50.

Check out the Port REVIEW of Venice that I wrote last September ... you may find some useful/additional info.

Unless you have a very specific reason to go to Santa Lucia, I always prefer the regular Public Bus with departure from Piazalle Roma - takes you right to Mestre Railway Station. From Santa Lucia, you will have to change trains in Mestre anyway.

Perhaps true for some trains but certainly not true for all. I've taken the Frecce twice from Venice Santa Lucia to Rome and you do not have to change trains at Mestre!

A couple years ago we took an Oceania cruise out of Venice. Our ship was docked the furthest away.

I do not recommend walking to the people mover if you are docked further away, take the ship shuttle to the People Mover. It was really hot and exhausting and we are in good shape.

The land taxi would be the most convenient way to Mestre station (expensive but convenient) That is the option I would take.

I don't remember taxis waiting when we got off the cruise ship, but I remember them at the taxi stand in Piazzale Roma once we walked off the People Mover.

Also maybe you can ask at the concierge desk on your ship if they can arrange a taxi to be waiting when you are off the ship?

It might be possible to meet other passengers on board (or on this board in your roll call) that would be interested in sharing a taxi to Mestre station.

Enjoy your trip!

• 9 months later...

Great thread! Because the advice on here, I bought our train tickets from Venezia Mestre to Termini. Same pricing as St Lucia station. However, since there are 7 of us, it was worth the $ to split a shuttle.

How long is the ride from the cruise port to Mestre station?

• 2 weeks later...

We have already bought our train tickets departing from Venice Santa Lucia station and not Mestre - is it possible to get on at Mestre going to Milano Centrale even with our tickets that originate from Santa Lucia? Does anyone know? I'm not even sure if the train stops at Mestre on the way to Milano Centrale.

We have already bought our train tickets departing from Venice Santa Lucia station and not Mestre - is it possible to get on at Mestre going to Milano Centrale even with our tickets that originate from Santa Lucia? Does anyone know? I'm not even sure if the train stops at Mestre on the way to Milano Centrale.

Check the schedule on the Trenitalia website and it will show the stops. Most stop in Mestre. We did this a few years ago. Had tickets from Santa Lucia station but decided to take a taxi to Mastre and get on there. No problem using our ticket. Someone was in our seats but moved when we showed them our tickets. Much easier to take a taxi to Mestre than lugging bags to the people mover and then to Santa Lucia station.

Thank you - we will grab a taxi at the port to Mestre. Do you know if there will be plenty of cabs outside - our train departs at 7:30am from Mestre and I figured I'd give myself about 45 minutes to an hour to get to the station. I'm concerned that there may not be too many taxis at 6:30am in the morning.

Thank you - we will grab a taxi at the port to Mestre. Do you know if there will be plenty of cabs outside - our train departs at 7:30am from Mestre and I figured I'd give myself about 45 minutes to an hour to get to the station. I'm concerned that there may not be too many taxis at 6:30am in the morning.

What time does your ship dock? I’d be concerned about getting off the ship that early. If you overnight in Venice there will be people from the taxi companies taking reservations for the next morning.

What time does your ship dock? I’d be concerned about getting off the ship that early. If you overnight in Venice there will be people from the taxi companies taking reservations for the next morning.

The ship we are on will be in Venice overnight so will already be docked. I would think we can depart from the ship early given that it's already in port.

The ship we are on will be in Venice overnight so will already be docked. I would think we can depart from the ship early given that it's already in port.

Shouldn't be a problem to self disembark early then. There will be representatives from the taxi/limo companies taking reservations for next day departures when you return to the ship the first day. The driver will be waiting to pick you up as you leave the terminal building. I've done this a couple of times, but not that early.

• 2 months later...

My ship will be docked overnight and if I am reading this right, there should be taxi people taking reservations for the next day for my trip to Mestre. (I didn't purchase my train tickets yet) Would a private transfer be able to meet us as we disembark as a taxi would? and what is the approx. cost of a taxi?

• 1 year later...

Hi there. We are sailing with MSC and will be docking in Venice (Oct 2019) at 08h00.  We have booked a train from Santa Lucia station departing at 10h25 to Florence, Pisa and Civitavecchia ( approx 6 hrs journey). We plan to use people mover and walk over bridge to the station.  If we requested an early debarkation from info desk on ship would we have enough time to catch our train?  Thanx for help. Regards Annette

So we did that last oct on  Viking cruise. Viking ports the day before you get off so after our Venice boat/walking tour I did a little reconnoitering  😎  The walkway to the people mover could not have been any easier even with 3 suitcases. Zoom in on google maps and you see a wide walkway around a little parking lot.

I bought the tickets then.

The next day the only bad thing was the rain. There were "porters" at the end of the people mover, i was not trusting.

The bridge is wide and gentle and has little steps every so often.  It had to downpour at that moment. Already had train tics to the 9:30 FCO airport.  

Great train trip.

CEH in MD