free at sea fees

when you go to book a cruise in some instances you are entitled yo 2 free at sea. in the cruise i looked at if you pick dining pkg. and drink pkg. when to go to final cost there is a $220 plus charge.. doesnt seem like free at sea to me ?

when you go to book a cruise in some instances you are entitled yo 2 free at sea. in the cruise i looked at if you pick dining pkg. and drink pkg. when to go to final cost there is a $220 plus charge.. doesnt seem like free at sea to me ?
It is the gratuities for the packages. The packages are free, it is just that the gratuities aren't. You can pick another perk if you don't want to pay the gratuities.

according to the free at sea terms and conditions (aka the fine print):

Ultimate Beverage Package (Unlimited Open Bar):

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package ($14.22 USD per person, per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.35 USD per person, per day) prior to cruise, except when booking The Haven or a Suite.

Specialty Dining Package:

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise.

If you book as a group, you do not pay these fees. Otherwise, yes, it's an added charge.

Well it used to be. When we had free at sea the drinks were included and no gratuities. They now do the all inclusive still no gratuities on the package but the price has accelerated so it feels like it's now charged

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well it used to be. When we had free at sea the drinks were included and no gratuities. They now do the all inclusive still no gratuities on the package but the price has accelerated so it feels like it's now charged

Why do you think it changed!! Put the price up and give you what you got free before!! Bottom Line!!

The title of the promotion is "Free at Sea", that does not mean that there is no charge associated with an individual component. IN this case the offer is very clear that the purchaser is responsible for a certain amount of gratuities.

The key is to read the offer, NOT just the title.

If you prepay the daily gratuity, do you still have an 18% gratuity for each drink and each meal?

It's an 18% flat fee on the cost of the UBP and UDP. If you buy your drinks and specialty meals a la carte, then it's 18% on top of the menu price.

If you book as a group, you do not pay these fees. Otherwise, yes, it's an added charge.

Could you provide more info on this group deal. Where do I find how many is considered a group and what is the legal mumbo jumbo. Thanks your help. I don't mind the 18% tips, but only if they really go to the crew.

Could you provide more info on this group deal. Where do I find how many is considered a group and what is the legal mumbo jumbo. Thanks your help. I don't mind the 18% tips, but only if they really go to the crew.

I'm not sure this is correct, we booked with a group and are still having to pay the fees. I would call NCL and find out.

Why do you think it changed!! Put the price up and give you what you got free before!! Bottom Line!!

They changed it because all uk cruise lines charge one price including all service charges and many people moaned about American companies daily charges. This is to appease these people and encourage them to sail with ncl. This means they've now removed all free at sea, offers of obc or perks. The increase is at least double what the 18% gratuities on drinks were and we were already paying more than you do through a USA agent including paying the 18%. We often use a USA agent and next May is $480 less through the USA inc paying port taxes, fees and gratuities than the new uk offer.

It may encourage new cruisers but those of us with over 50 cruises are a bit more market savvy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not really all that different from the fact that they aren't really free since you have to buy a cruise to get them in the first place. Feel me? :rolleyes:

Then again there is always the possibility that the marketing folks want to convey that with a drink package that you are free to drink what you want and with a dining package that you are free to eat where you want. Free as in freedom, not free as in "no cost". ;p

The difference between booking in the UK and somewhere else is probably now even more pronounced than it used to be. My guess is that it will be almost impossible to compare prices without a great deal of searching. That is also far more difficult than it used to be as you are defaulted to your own region if you try to access another part of the world.

I still can't believe people complain about paying the gratuities on the Free at Sea perks. Simple solution, take the wifi perk or the excursion perk where there are no gratuities added

Oh and by the way....the 75% free of fee comment...do your math

buying the package on the boat....79*7 = 553 + 99 = 652 553/652 = 85%

Yeah bit rough isn't it.

I'd go so far as to say it'd be false advertising if they tried it on in some countries.