Very poor customer service-ncl home of the upcharge and the nickel and diming of pass

Pilot Fish

A couple of thoughts. For those saying tap water is delicious, umm no. Our water is horrible. I left a black towel in my sink one night where it got dripped on all night and by morning there was a big brown spot where it had been bleached out by the chlorine (which you can smell) in the water. It is truly horrific and I drink a gallon a day on average. So I get Culligan delivered which is just OK. Favourite is Costco - there just isn't much of a taste to it. However, the best water I've ever had was out of the tap in Denver, so what your water tastes like really does depend on where you live.

I too was bummed by NCL prices , which are absurd in comparison to other cruise companies, but reading here reassured me and I'll do fine with the filter. I do feel for the OP however, because if you do have to drink massive amounts of water you want to control exactly what brand you put in your body. I hope the water package will work for you OP.

The group I really feel sorry so for on NCL are the Coke drinkers. I don't do soda anymore, but when I did I was a Diet Coke girl. 😀 I would have been bummed to have Pepsi all week. Nothing against Pepsi, the company has done some great things I my town, but it's not what my taste buds craved.

The cruise I'm just gonna switch Diet Coke for Bushwackers 😉

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

YES!!!!!!

I am addicted to Diet Coke and was super sad it wasn't onboard. However, I quickly forgot about that with the UBP. ;)

And again, did you confirm that you drank exactly the same quantity of ship's water as bottled water? Also, as noted in many water threads here on CC, did you drink water from your cabin sink or from the water dispensers in the buffet/restaurants? Because those sources outside your cabin have filters to remove the chlorine, and chlorine is a common agent in water retention.

Well, I will thank you again for mentioning chlorine as A) I had no idea I was consuming that onboard...actually reminds me of that commercial that's out now where the guy is asked to drink some form of water and he says "That's not good. It's not good." and B) Also had no idea it was a source of water retention so, absolutely good to know.

That being said, be nice to us swellers. :* We might very well be wrong about the salt content of the tap water onboard but when we are perfectly normal one day then POOF, our legs and ankles are inches wider than 24 hours earlier, odds are it isn't the first time.

I might not know I am drinking chlorine onboard but, and ABSOLUTELY correct me if I am wrong here, I don't think I'm drinking chlorine on land where I only blow up with excess sodium intake.

P.S, you sound very scientific. I am not. lol So be patient but I do appreciate your responses. It's fascinating to me.

According to him she needs to drink bottled water. His solution is simple. Purchase it. He himself said he's not cheap.

He chose to come to this forum and rant about his personal problems and open himself up to the criticism.

Why not respectfully disagree and leave it at that or, better yet, show an ounce of empathy? There is never reasonable justification for belittling or bullying someone. If you or anyone else chooses to take it to another level and make it personal, that's a poor reflection on you and them, not the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we played as kids it was in the yard. If we were thirsty we drank water. From the garden hose.

Or when in school, the old drinking fountain in hallway. No one that I knew died.

Well, I will thank you again for mentioning chlorine as A) I had no idea I was consuming that onboard...actually reminds me of that commercial that's out now where the guy is asked to drink some form of water and he says "That's not good. It's not good." and B) Also had no idea it was a source of water retention so, absolutely good to know.

That being said, be nice to us swellers. :* We might very well be wrong about the salt content of the tap water onboard but when we are perfectly normal one day then POOF, our legs and ankles are inches wider than 24 hours earlier, odds are it isn't the first time.

I might not know I am drinking chlorine onboard but, and ABSOLUTELY correct me if I am wrong here, I don't think I'm drinking chlorine on land where I only blow up with excess sodium intake.

P.S, you sound very scientific. I am not. lol So be patient but I do appreciate your responses. It's fascinating to me.

The EPA requires treated tap water to have a detectable level of chlorine to help prevent contamination. The allowable chlorine levels in drinking water (up to 4 parts per million) pose “no known or expected health risk [including] an adequate margin of safety.”Mar 30, 2010

Yes on land Too.

As someone who only drinks purified water, I am a little shocked I can't just carry a case of water onto the cruise ship. I put it in it's own suitcase and it is delivered to my room. Never thought it would be a problem. Just in the past 2 years I have done this on Oceania, Princess, Carnival and three RCL without a problem. I do not drink coffee, teas, soda, etc EVER. I only drink purified water all day. My father in law purchased the drink package on NCL and just assumed that would supply me with the aquafina water, that happens to be purified. I eat mostly fruit on the cruise to avoid all the salts. I also have a reverse osmosis system at home to supply my water since that is ALL I drink. I am shocked that this will be a problem for me during our upcoming cruise. While I can buy the water package, my father in law is treating us to this cruise. I hate to charge for cases of water to our room. This makes me very uncomfortable. I wonder if they would just trade the whole drink package for bottled water? It is not about cost! I don't want to insult my inlaws.

The EPA requires treated tap water to have a detectable level of chlorine to help prevent contamination. The allowable chlorine levels in drinking water (up to 4 parts per million) pose “no known or expected health risk [including] an adequate margin of safety.”Mar 30, 2010

Yes on land Too.

While I agree that all municipal water is chlorinated in some form (chlorine or chloramines), there is a major difference between land and ship systems. Municipal water is one way, i.e. from the aquifer or lake to the home. The water is chlorinated at the treatment plant and sent out the pipelines, to sit in the pipelines until called for by opening a tap in the home. While sitting in the pipes, the chlorine will dissipate naturally, so there is no way to determine what the chlorine level is at the end user, only as it leaves the treatment plant.

Ship's water systems constantly recirculate the water. From the storage tank, around the ship, and back to the tank, and when you open a tap it takes some of that circulating water away. Because of this, the water is constantly monitored for chlorine content, and must be at least 0.5ppm at the farthest point from the treatment plant, typically on the bridge. This monitor controls the dosing of chlorine into the water to maintain this constant residual, and this is done in real time, every second of every day, so the chlorine content of ship's water is far more consistent than municipal water, at the end user.

I hate to charge for cases of water to our room. This makes me very uncomfortable. I wonder if they would just trade the whole drink package for bottled water? It is not about cost! I don't want to insult my inlaws.

When you check-in, just use your own card or cash. Whatever you buy will be paid for by you.

As for bringing your own water, most lines are either limiting it or not allowing it. NCL isn't the only one.

Just in the past 2 years I have done this on Oceania, Princess, Carnival and three RCL without a problem.
I don't believe Carnival has allowed any liquids (water, soda) in bottles since June 2015 to be carried on by passengers.

Customers could previously check cases of bottled water through with their luggage, but the company says it will now ban any bottles of non-alcoholic drinks. It will allow customers to bring board a maximum of 12 sealed cans or cartons of other non-alcoholic beverages such as soda, juice or milk.Jun 10, 2015

Edited by NLH Arizona

Why not respectfully disagree and leave it at that or, better yet, show an ounce of empathy? There is never reasonable justification for belittling or bullying someone. If you or anyone else chooses to take it to another level and make it personal, that's a poor reflection on you and them, not the OP.

Respectfully I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I simply stated the facts. Please point out where my comments are in error.

Well in my home city I'm now supposed to drink the Tap water because it is contaminated but I will drink it anyway if I'm in the need of water....I have a water dispenser in my home and buy the big gallon jugs to go on top of it. On the ship I stay hydrated in beer and liquor and at night before bed I drink water from the tap to try to steer away a hangover. My husband likes to bring a cup and fill it up.

I just wanted everyone to know my water habits since everyone and their mother was posting theirs... not that anyone really cares.

They give people alcohol for free (minus the gratuities) and people say they nickel and dime you on water... seriously? They have to make money somewhere. Get over it. Goto any bar and ask for a glass of ice water and you will receive it free of charge. Bring your own cup and ask them to fill it and they will or fill up in the Buffett.

While I can buy the water package, my father in law is treating us to this cruise. I hate to charge for cases of water to our room. This makes me very uncomfortable. I wonder if they would just trade the whole drink package for bottled water? It is not about cost! I don't want to insult my inlaws.

You can go online now and pre-order water to be in your room upon boarding and charge it to your own card. I'm also assuming you will have your own onboard account backed by your card (unless he is also covering all of your onboard spending); so no need for them to see how you spend money onboard.

As far as this thread, some people love to complain. OP was bragging on the fact that celebrity covers bottled water w the included drinks package while someone on the celebrity board has a thread about how the water in the included package was 'Indian bottled water' and making everyone sick.

Nothing can ever be done so everyone is happy. They start including bottled water and people will complain that the bottles are too small or the wrong brand. [emoji849]. If you want to waste your time and energy being mad about the small things go for it; many others will focus on the good things and have a good trip no matter what.

Bring a Britta or other filter system and then pour into that 2 liter bottle I mentioned earlier and voila you got your bottled water. Bring smaller bottles for easy transport around ship and in ports. Cause quite frankly as far as I'm concerned there is zippo difference between Britta water and a bottle of Dasani or any other brand.

Or if the op's dw must have bottled water for health issues (doubtful but I'll buy it for now) then what is more important the estimated hundred bucks spent or the lady's health?

Yes on land Too.

Ok then I'm back to blaming the ship water. HA!

Anyway, nothing is ever going to ruin my cruise. I've been on cruises where we've lost a whole day camped out in the middle of the ocean waiting for the Cost Guard's ok to pick up refugees on a raft....still enjoyed myself. So, I will either pay for the cases or flush it all out when I get home.

However, the best water I've ever had was out of the tap in Denver, so what your water tastes like really does depend on where you live.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

I would have to agree, we do have delicious water out here. Even so, we have a bottled water company called "Eldorado Springs" that takes water straight from a mountain spring (in Eldorado Springs of course) and it is by far the best water ever! No taste at all, even when left out to get warm.

There was recently a national water taste test and Eldorado Springs ranked #1 municipal water in the United States, and #2 in the whole world. http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_29598186/eldora-springs-tapped-top-award-from-pros-nose

I'll drink water from the tap, but I still get the Eldorado water delivered to my house (10 gallons for about $20).

You can go online now and pre-order water to be in your room upon boarding and charge it to your own card. I'm also assuming you will have your own onboard account backed by your card (unless he is also covering all of your onboard spending); so no need for them to see how you spend money onboard.

As far as this thread, some people love to complain. OP was bragging on the fact that celebrity covers bottled water w the included drinks package while someone on the celebrity board has a thread about how the water in the included package was 'Indian bottled water' and making everyone sick.

Nothing can ever be done so everyone is happy. They start including bottled water and people will complain that the bottles are too small or the wrong brand. [emoji849]. If you want to waste your time and energy being mad about the small things go for it; many others will focus on the good things and have a good trip no matter what.

Great idea. I will preorder it with my card.

Respectfully I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I simply stated the facts. Please point out where my comments are in error.

I do agree that you stated the facts when you said that a solution would be to just purchase water, but to say that he deserves to be criticized because he opened up about his personal problems on this forum is an attempt to justify the belittling, insulting comments that are rampant throughout this thread. I just don't think they're justifiable regardless of whether posters like/dislike or agree/disagree with the OP. Why not take the high road?

I don't recall the internet being defined as putting others down to make yourself feel better. To each their own I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

No one is putting others down to make themselves feel better.

This is a NCL board. Many of us choose NCL. We like NCL. When someone posts a down and out rant what do you think is their motivation and desired result. Do you think they want sympathy and pats on the back? Or do they want to get even and turn people away from giving NCL their business? Maybe both?

Here is the thing. Many people like me just posted an opinion. Pointed out mis-truths.

Like:

1. Bad customer service is not a company telling you NO when you want to circumvent their policies.

2. Home of the upcharge and nickle and diming is a bad thing? Many of us like paying for add ons as things we want and not paying for things we don't.

3. If something IS A DEALBREAKER for you in choosing a cruiseline do your research BEFORE YOU BOOK.

I'm late to the game, but I must weigh in here. PLEASE, for the earth's sake, can we all quit drinking bottled water? <snip> No one needs to buy bottled water EVER. It is a complete waste of plastic.

It always amazes me when people try to tell me what to do. Its one thing if they are actually correct, But when you hear the same old myth over and over again it gets tiring.

If you're worried about the earth you wouldn't be cruising. You can vacation without burning 150 tons of low grade "sludge" oil every day (I think that's about 5,000 gallons, and I'm guessing a Jewel class ship would burn that while under weigh). Add in the travel to the port, the tremendous waste of food, the conspicuous consumption of wine, beer and soda that rape our land and foul our waterways to produce, and cruising is tantamount to earth-murder. A "stay-cation" is in order, to save the earth.

Typically people pick one cause and stick to it and never, ever really investigate it. Here are some facts about the plastic water bottles I buy:

We pay about $3.79 for 40 bottles of 1/2 liter Kirkland brand water. The bottles contain 50% recycled plastic. We also pay a deposit of .05 per bottle. Every one is recycled. Every. Single. One. We want our nickles back. Overall, Californians recycle 76% of all PET plastic items sold (not JUST water bottles with a deposit required, so I suspect that number is well over 90% of the water bottles). Other than aluminum cans, it's hard to find anything that has that high a recycling rate.

We pay .10 per bag at the grocery store if we don't use our permanent shopping bags. We changed our lighting over to LED, drive 2 Priuses that get ~50 MPG (and have since 2006), and sort our trash into green waste, trash and recyclables.

So don't tell me what to drink.

No one ever needs to buy beer in a can (90% recycled) or a bottle (only 71% recycled). If anything you should be going after the people that buy a "bucket of beer" because they are killing the earth with a product they can easily get on draft. All wine should come in a box, because the bladder and the box both have higher recycling rates than the bottles. And do people really need to drink 5.6 alcoholic drinks per day on a cruise (the average is something like that ... I was surprised because I may drink that many in a 7 day cruise when I'm getting "crazy").

As someone who only drinks purified water, I am a little shocked I can't just carry a case of water onto the cruise ship. I put it in it's own suitcase and it is delivered to my room. Never thought it would be a problem. Just in the past 2 years I have done this on Oceania, Princess, Carnival and three RCL without a problem. I do not drink coffee, teas, soda, etc EVER. I only drink purified water all day. My father in law purchased the drink package on NCL and just assumed that would supply me with the aquafina water, that happens to be purified. I eat mostly fruit on the cruise to avoid all the salts. I also have a reverse osmosis system at home to supply my water since that is ALL I drink. I am shocked that this will be a problem for me during our upcoming cruise. While I can buy the water package, my father in law is treating us to this cruise. I hate to charge for cases of water to our room. This makes me very uncomfortable. I wonder if they would just trade the whole drink package for bottled water? It is not about cost! I don't want to insult my inlaws.

You can go on the NCL website right now and order the bottled water on your own credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk