Can they do this?

I don't think you wold be in the apple business very long.

Mistakes happen, I know I'd hate to be crucified for every one I made. Tough to be disappointed but that's why they have disclaimers about errors.

This doesn't make any sense. They already have an IT dept. They don't need a major investment. Just hire some competent people.

If they had a policy to honor those prices, you bet they would be doing more to prevent the errors, but since the errors basically cost them nothing because they are can just cancel it on you, there is little incentive for Royal Caribbean to fix it. This isn't just a Royal Caribbean problem, BTW.

Hiring competent people costs money, this is why you rarely see Americans working on a cruise ship. Purchasing new software costs money. Buying server space costs money. I don't know how much, but if it wasn't significant I am sure they would have fixed it by now.

Personally, I would like to see law that would require corporations to write passenger contracts to that would give the passenger the same amount of protection as the corporation. For example, if RC can just cancel your reservation due to over booking, price errors, etc, then passengers should have the right to cancel in those same time frames for full refunds. This would have a huge impact on the way the travel industry operates, especially airlines.

Hiring competent people costs money, this is why you rarely see Americans working on a cruise ship.

Competence is rarely why Americans don't work on cruise ships and many non-Americans might be offended at that remark.;)

At my supermarket, if an item during check out is in error, I get it for free up to $20. This is based on their policy that their marked/advertised pricing is correct. Many times, I see clerks going from aisle to aisle with hand held machines to confirm the price vs what is shown.

I just received a shirt that I bought on-line from a U.S. web site. The breast pocket was placed incorrectly. I emailed them describing the issue and within an hour I got an email back, fully refunding the price and telling me not to send the shirt back, but to donate it to a local charity. I went back on line and ordered another shirt plus two others. The same thing happened with another on-line furniture retailer last year. That was for a $500 cabinet. One piece was defective, so they sent us a replacement cabinet and no need to pack up and return the old unit. We have since bought a lot of stuff from that retailer.

The moral of the stories - Good customer service gets rewarded. I just hope RCI's lousy customer service gets punished.

Nice policy, I wish they would do that at ours.

You should ask what their pricing mistake policy is, or check at guest services, where it is sometimes posted. They usually don't publicize it, but I have seen this policy in many supermarkets. Even when I know there is a policy, and I catch a pricing mistake, 9/10 I will have to say, 'don't I get it for free'? There was one item marked wrong that I kept buying off and on for months. I would say to them, 'this has been wrong for months', and they still wouldn't fix it. Easier to just give one person a free item on occasion, I suppose.

Hiring competent people costs money, this is why you rarely see Americans working on a cruise ship.

Competence is rarely why Americans don't work on cruise ships and many non-Americans might be offended at that remark.;)

Finally I know why I never got a job on a cruise ship, Eh!:)

I always thought it was the my $200K pay demand.:o

If they had a policy to honor those prices, you bet they would be doing more to prevent the errors, but since the errors basically cost them nothing because they are can just cancel it on you, there is little incentive for Royal Caribbean to fix it. This isn't just a Royal Caribbean problem, BTW.

Hiring competent people costs money, this is why you rarely see Americans working on a cruise ship. Purchasing new software costs money. Buying server space costs money. I don't know how much, but if it wasn't significant I am sure they would have fixed it by now.

Personally, I would like to see law that would require corporations to write passenger contracts to that would give the passenger the same amount of protection as the corporation. For example, if RC can just cancel your reservation due to over booking, price errors, etc, then passengers should have the right to cancel in those same time frames for full refunds. This would have a huge impact on the way the travel industry operates, especially airlines.

I concur with your last paragraph. I'm waiting for the next snafu on an United flight and see if they make good up to $10k.

You are right. That was a poor example and poor wording in my part.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have been checking prices on Enchantment of the Seas for a 3 day cruise in the fall with some friends. This is an annual trip that we take and we have always gotten a pretty good deal and always had a blast! So far the prices have been higher than we have paid in the past so we have not put down a deposit yet.

However, on Wednesday when I checked the inside cabins were significantly priced lower. We usually get balconies, but thought the difference in price was worth foregoing the balcony experience for a short cruise. I put 6 cabins on hold and sent all of my friends the booking confirmations. Deposits are due on Saturday.

BUT...today I got a call from RCCL and they said the pricing was a mistake and we could either cancel or get current pricing with a $100 on board credit. I have confirmations, showing the price we booked...can they do this? (Of course, I know they can, because they just did!) But I am really frustrated since I was so excited to finally find a good fare and now it is taken away. Unfortunately, I have to be the bearer of bad news to my friends!

It is wrong they need to stand behind their price send a letter to mbayley@rccl.com. Tell him stand behind the price. They are doing this to everyone who booked on Wednesday and it is wrong they need to honor the price.

Same thing happened today for the 9/7/18 sailing on the Majesty. What date for you?

I booked Majesty on the 10th through reservations called directly booked it paid it off. Got a call last night saying the price was wrong so they raised the price of my cruise after it was paid for.

Did you put the cruises on hold using Royal's website? If so, I'd try to put the deposit down now (assuming you are outside of final payment period) and see if you get your original price.

What is happening is everyone who booked on Wednesday is getting calls from Royal telling them the price was wrong and they are raising the price of their cruise. I had Majesty bought and paid for. Next day they call me tell me the price was wrong and raised my price.

I would try what Bob suggested but yes they can do that. I recall awhile ago there was some kind of pricing glitch on their website and they called and cancelled everyone's bookings.

I think I saw that glitch as well. I was looking at a 5 day cruise on the BR out of Tampa and it was showing OV cabins at $200 pp. When I followed thru on the bookings the correct much higher price showed.

It is unethical. They sell the cruises as in my case reservations sold me the cruise took full payment next day they called and raised my price. They should honor their prices.

Having a similar problem with FOTS , have it on hold and now their telling me it was a pricing mistake and want $220.00 more for the cabin.

The cabin went from a D2 to and E2 suddenly.

I have my TA fighting it out with them.

Good luck they aren't budging. They just are replacing everyone's cruise that booked on Wednesday

Yes they would, because they would take extra care to make sure that mistake never happened again since the loss would come out of their own pocket. The difference here(and elsewhere) is that Royal Caribbean is a corporation owned by its shareholders who are not exactly decision makers. They pay a president or CEO to make them money. The only reason to care about the customer is only if it has an effect on profits.

If Royal Caribbean had an actual decision making owner, I would bet they would have worked out all their IT problems by now. Instead there is probably some number cruncher reporting to the shareholders and president how it is cheaper to continue with the current IT problems than to fix it appropriately. Or possibly someone sugar coating the IT problem to the powers that be making it seem insignificant.

In the mean time they are repricing everyone's cruise that they booked on Wednesday. They need to honor the prices and get a new IT department. Don't make their customers pay for thier mistakes

October 6, 2017

Same thing happened for every Majesty cruise booked for any weekends in September and October. They are calling everyone and repricing the cruises to a higher price. My cruise was bought and paid for. They called me the next day and said they were raising the price and I could cancel if I didn't like it.

That's interesting. Years ago there was a glitch with Nationals tickets where they were being offered for $1.20 rather than $12.00, and they ended up honoring the cheaper price for those who purchased.

Its a tough situation. Unless the low price was insanely low and obviously an error (ie, $.99 per night rather than $99), I'd think they should honor the "deal" you got. Otherwise I'd be concerned that they could just claim "glitch" anytime they felt like raising the fares for those already booked.

That is exactly my concern. If they are able to successfully do this they can do it anytime.

I just received a shirt that I bought on-line from a U.S. web site. The breast pocket was placed incorrectly. I emailed them describing the issue and within an hour I got an email back, fully refunding the price and telling me not to send the shirt back, but to donate it to a local charity. I went back on line and ordered another shirt plus two others. The same thing happened with another on-line furniture retailer last year. That was for a $500 cabinet. One piece was defective, so they sent us a replacement cabinet and no need to pack up and return the old unit. We have since bought a lot of stuff from that retailer.

The moral of the stories - Good customer service gets rewarded. I just hope RCI's lousy customer service gets punished.

Well in my case this is a very cheap Majesty cruise and if they can't honor that price then my very expensive Harmony and Symphony cruises will be cancelled. It looks like Royal doesn't need my business.

This practice sounds in incredibly wrong to me. Hypothetically, what if a customer books one of these low glitch rates and then goes ahead and gets airline tickets, requests work off, maybe buys some new clothes etc for the cruise. Then royal calls them with this scam. Pay more, or your stuck with all the airlines tickets and other purchases you made. I sure would be angry if this happened to me. Luckily, we are paying an arm and a leg for our upcoming Harmony cruise so they haven't tried this on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well in my case this is a very cheap Majesty cruise and if they can't honor that price then my very expensive Harmony and Symphony cruises will be cancelled. It looks like Royal doesn't need my business.

Not intended to sound snarky but maybe ask what company be it cruise line, store, whatever would want to provide goods or services and loose money doing it ?

If they can't make money off our custom why would you think they want our business ?

And before the argument of "Well I booked 2 High Priced Cruises so I deserve a break" keep in mind each transaction has to stand on it's on profitability matrix.

If you want to cancel 2 other cruises, I suspect RCL will sell the cabins to someone else. Their ships are sailing full.

I just went to do a mock booking cabin next to mine on the hump priced at the price I reserved at , went to pay deposit and won't take it .

Major IT problems

Try using a different name for the first passenger than the one that's in the original booking.

Not an error, but we tried to get a balcony a few months ago from the Enchantment for our cruise in 2 weeks. We were just offered one, paid the additional $400 (for a 3 day cruise) and when I went to my cruise reservations they took my $50 onboard credit away because that promotion was not valid anymore when we essentially "cancelled" and rebooked. My TA said they did not explain that through when the offer was given, only when I had him challenge back. I wrote to RCCL and also tweeted- they both said "too bad so sad." My family and I have taken at least one cruise a year with them since 2005, this and the cruise we booked in December will be our last with RCCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know that I am whining now but....if I owned a business and was selling apples for $1.00 but the sign showed $0.10, I feel that I would have to honor that price for the people that wanted to buy that apples at that price.

Yes, but YOU are a honest soul and have scruples, unfortunately those sharks in the world of big business, don't. You'd think some high-muckly mucky in some Federal agency could or would say, 'Oh nooo you don't, YOU made the mistake, now you live with it and eat the difference'. But noooo, they ( the feds and Congress) are too busy taking bribes from some lobbyist or 'free cruises' for them and their families. :( But what's the FIRST thing you hear from ANYBODY who wants his turn at the public corruption trough. 'Oh. I wanna be a voice for the little man, I wanna make a difference...' Yeaaa, right !! Then THEY start stuffing their pockets. Business, as usual.

Mac