Getting a FAN on board

you should check with your specific cruise line. I have read threads on cruise critic where people bring their own portable fan. I don't believe the ships carry fans for passengers. Your cruiseline may allow a small fan in the cabin. I know they don't allow irons because they can be left on or left unattended; which could cause a fire. Same goes with fan. It has a running motor; and if you left the cabin with fan running and the motor burned up;; you get the picture. Check with cruiseline. I expect someone who has brought a fan onboard will answer you question too.

Neither. Ship power is 50 cycles, not 60 cycles as is normal US house electricity. It could cause problems with the electric motor. Ships are build in Europe where the standard power is 220V, 50 cycles. The 110VAC outlets are supplied by step-down transformers for the convenience of North American passengers. They can step down the voltage but not change the A/C cycling.

The ship won't supply a fan. Others have used USB powered portable fans.

Some have reported their fan being confiscated: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2481814

Edited by BlueRiband

Figure out if the fan is for noise or air circulation.

Use some sort of noise machine or app for noise.

My USB fan is about 6inches tall and has a rechargeable battery. Found it at the Los Angeles Fair but have seen similar at Walmart and Target. Look in the Camping, Fan, and College Dorm areas. My first small fan didn't have a battery, found it in the Target clearance rack. It's labeled a desk fan.

Either way use a cheap extension cord. ($2 Walmart 6ft 3outlet) Surge protector cords are a fire hazard onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Neither. Ship power is 50 cycles, not 60 cycles as is normal US house electricity. It could cause problems with the electric motor. Ships are build in Europe where the standard power is 220V, 50 cycles. The 110VAC outlets are supplied by step-down transformers for the convenience of North American passengers. They can step down the voltage but not change the A/C cycling.

The ship won't supply a fan. Others have used USB powered portable fans.

Some have reported their fan being confiscated: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2481814

Even if the ship is built in Europe , it's still built for the US voltage and frequency. Most small motors are designed to work on 120 VAC at 50 or 60HZ. That is the info I got on a ships tour from the engineering staff.

OP check with your cruise line. Some will provide a fan for you, many will not. There is no rule against bringing a fan on board, but it becomes very cumbersome to deal with.

I have a small battery powered (4 D size) fan that seems to run forever without needing new batteries. Without the batteries, it weighs almost nothing, so doesn't weigh down your luggage if flying. It puts out plenty of air but not much 'noise'. Found it at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

We just cruised with RCCL over spring break, and we brought a small fan with no problem. My in-laws were in another room and the attendant quickly brought a large box fan when they mentioned it being hot in their room, as well as had the ventilation adjusted.

Where do you people come up,with these whacky answers?

When a ship is being built - or when it is in dry dock - there is rarely aircon or ventilation. The staff, and the cruise line, purchase hundreds of electric fans to make the experience more comfortable for the crew - living and working during the construction / reconstruction. We save these fans for; 1. The next dry dock, and 2. whenever somebody needs one.

You can request to borrow a fan anytime you board a ship.

Thank you for your answer; this is good news