Cleaning of rooms

blakeamy

In 20 or so cruises we have never had an issue with cleanliness. But then neither of us is a germaphobe. We do not go looking for problems and have yet to encounter a visibly dirty stateroom. Clorox, Lysol and such is vile. The smell is nauseating. I have a healthy immune system and let it do its job.

For those that do feel compelled to clean their stateroom, how do you deal with the rest of the ship when not in your room?

I try not to touch stair railings and I am definitely one of the ones who uses the hand sanitizer dispensers that are placed in Lido. I never saw anyone else using it though I am sure there must be others. I also wash my hands frequently and carry around a mini bottle of hand sanitizer.

I also haven't been sick in years. I can't even remember the last time I had a cold which I attribute to frequent hand washing. I have terrible asthma and every time I even catch the tiniest of colds I pretty much wind up in the hospital because my asthma gets so bad which is why I go to extreme lengths to avoid germs.

Hopefully in my next life I can be one of those carefree types who never wash hands or even think about germs. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I stayed at a very expensive hotel last week. There was a used tissue and a bobby pin under the sink. I put them in the trash. Problem solved.

WHAT?!?!? Solved the "problem" yourself? Who does THAT?!?!? Surely you sought out an appropriate website, FB page, message board, blog. tweeter hashtag...SOMETHING to voice you concerns!!!

There was a pepperoni on the middle of the floor once. Several times layer of dust on shelves in the bathroom, bed side tables.

I don't think they wash the comforters after each cruise and that thing at the end of the bed almost never.

Didn't think Guest Services ever closed as one person said.

In 20 or so cruises we have never had an issue with cleanliness. But then neither of us is a germaphobe. We do not go looking for problems and have yet to encounter a visibly dirty stateroom. Clorox, Lysol and such is vile. The smell is nauseating. I have a healthy immune system and let it do its job.

For those that do feel compelled to clean their stateroom, how do you deal with the rest of the ship when not in your room?

The same way I deal with leaving my house. I wash my hands when I can, use hand sanitizer, avoid touching things, avoid touching my face, etc.

That's why I take a minute to wipe off things in the cabin. That way, everything in my resting area is clean and I can just relax.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

While all these suggestions are interesting, one of the easiest things is to just prepare yourself and boost your own immune system. Working in a preschool education system for over 15 years I have learned how to deal with coming in contact with all kinds of germs and disease. My husband is the one of those very cautious (don't touch hand railings and such) and he also remains pretty healthy. So do whatever works for you and makes you feel better. Sometimes things just happen.

No, it was eventually taken care of. I guess I have a fear of them using my toothbrush to then clean the toilet :eek:. I've watched too many hidden camera shows. :o

I think you did this right. You first talked to you cabin attendant and gave him a chance to rectify your concerns. I probably would have done the same thing. Then if he/she didn't take care of the problem I would have gone to Head of Housekeeping.

Do you ever wonder how well they actually clean the rooms between guests? Our room was ready when we boarded, but the toilet was visibly dirty. Our room was serviced that night, and yet the toilet remained visibly dirty. We finally met the room steward the next day, and we told him about the urine drips and the curly black hair. He didn't seem at all surprised or apologetic, he just said he would take care of it. I wonder what else he neglected to clean. I have lost my faith in the cabin stewards and will start packing my own Lysol spray and Clorox wipes.

Teach your hubby to aim better.:cool:

It was NCL and I also had a problem with bedbugs. The next morning I was moved to another cabin while they took everything out of the room and did a complete disinfect. They put in a new bed, mattresses, chairs, couch, etc. then moved me back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP asked about the cabin cleaning process between cruises. As a platinum and diamond who can go to my cabin while staff were still in that cleaning process, I have seen whole cabins turned inside out, carpets shampooed cleaned, and all linens but not the bedspreads replaced. I've never noticed if the robes get replaced, I'll look at my next boarding.

Is it possible that the stewards miss something? For sure. It has happened to me once in 31 Carnival cruises, I had a clogged shower drain and a TV with screaming volume that couldn't get lowered - I went to guest services because they never answered the VIFP dedicated phone line and those problems were solved within an hour.

While all these suggestions are interesting, one of the easiest things is to just prepare yourself and boost your own immune system. Working in a preschool education system for over 15 years I have learned how to deal with coming in contact with all kinds of germs and disease. My husband is the one of those very cautious (don't touch hand railings and such) and he also remains pretty healthy. So do whatever works for you and makes you feel better. Sometimes things just happen.

This. I am not going to get into a medical debate about the advantages and disadvantages of hand-sanitizer or other antimicrobial products. Yes - we use it before we eat. So far, after 15 cruises, no noro or other illnesses for me or my family...knock on wood!

But the best thing you can do is know your own body - what it needs because if you are asthmatic etc you may need different precautions - and boost your immune system.

Kids are a great example. You keep them home til they are 2-5 years old...and when they go to day care or school what happens? They get the crud. 2, 3, 4 or more rounds of it, til they get everyone else's germs...and then they share it with mom and dad. And then we all adapt.

So, for those of you that find you are constantly getting sick after the cruise, my advice is find ways to boost your immune system. No matter how much the rest of us was our hands, ALL of us carry and spread our personal germs. You are living in close quarters with strangers. Your body needs to be able to fight off everyone else's crud.

We bring Clorox wipes and surgery unit wipes, and start with balcony furniture, door handles, all surfaces, and bathroom fixtures - we do this the first thing in our suite, several times we've come home with horrible colds. Bhopefully this helps.

You bring luminol spray and a black light too? :rolleyes:

I think tile or the laminate wood flooring would be an excellent choice instead of carpet.

I will say that I have seen the stewards clean all hard surfaces with disinfectant between cruises. I usually find a pretty good clean cabin. However when I cruise I always bring a flashlight and inspect for bedbugs just a thing I'm weird about. Usually the carpets are really dusty in corners and baseboards and under the beds are usually dusty.

I wonder if tile would be good for rooms instead of carpet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I would have just cleaned it myself. There's a toilet brush right next to the toilet. It would take less than a minute to do it....

The dried urine and pubic hair were on the toilet seat, so the toilet brush wouldn't have helped the situation. If I would have had Clorox wipes, I certainly would have just cleaned it myself. And, to further clarify since someone mentioned I should teach my "husband to aim better," this was from a previous guest, not either of us ladies staying in the cabin. I don't think it's too much to expect a clean toilet between guests.

Edited by blakeamy

I have found cabins to be fairly clean in over 20 cruises. However, I have noticed that the bathroom shelves are always very dusty which makes me wonder if they ever get cleaned. That grosses me out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Re the kinds of germs that can really make you sick, the three dirtiest places are: (1) the inside doorknob in the bathroom (2) the computer keyboard and mouse if your stateroom has one and (3) the phone handset and dial.

If you are a compulsive sanitizer, those are the three places to start first.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The dried urine and pubic hair were on the toilet seat, so the toilet brush wouldn't have helped the situation. If I would have had Clorox wipes, I certainly would have just cleaned it myself. And, to further clarify since someone mentioned I should teach my "husband to aim better," this was from a previous guest, not either of us ladies staying in the cabin. I don't think it's too much to expect a clean toilet between guests.

You certainly have a legitimate complaint. I would have immediately told the steward, and if it wasn't rectified ASAP, I would inform Guest Services of the issue.

I got off of a cruise 2 weeks ago and people in my roll call are still complaining about terrible colds/ coughs that they picked up on the trip. I cleaned up my room on the first day and washed my hands a lot. I've been completely fine. I'd rather spend the $1 on a travel sized pack of wipes and 5 minutes of my time than be sick for weeks.

I got off of a cruise 2 weeks ago and people in my roll call are still complaining about terrible colds/ coughs that they picked up on the trip. I cleaned up my room on the first day and washed my hands a lot. I've been completely fine. I'd rather spend the $1 on a travel sized pack of wipes and 5 minutes of my time than be sick for weeks.

Certain areas of cruise ships, trains, subways (anywhere where masses of people are crowded together) are like petri dishes for germs.

Use reasonable precautions. Take Airborne for a few days before sailing or flying. Wash your hands frequently and/or use hand sanitizer.

If you do come down with a cold take some over the counter meds and don't expose others. You probably contracted before leaving home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I take a small package of Clorox wipes and a small Lysol to wipe down TV remote, light switches, and door knobs. Any other surfaces if they need it. I would probably have cleaned the toilet myself with the brush and some of the shampoo in the shower dispenser even if it was on the seat, then wiped it off with my Clorox wipes. But I would have hunted that steward down to clean the floor in the bathroom if it was covered with hair or toenails! :eek: