room keys and mailbox

ukdeblarz

Sailing on Saturday on the Glory. Just got an email from Carnival saying our room key will be outside our cabin door in the mailbox. Not sure how I feel about this. Feels like a security issue to me!!!!! I understand it is in a sealed envelope, but still feels iffy.

Anyone on the Glory recently? Was this the way they did it?

This has been going on for months on Splendor and Vista. No problems reported. There are TONS of threads on this. I did it on Vista in March and it made embarkation much faster. Here is the card you are given upon the initial check in right before security.

You may be the first cruise on Glory that will have it this way. I heard they were rolling it out fleet wide and am glad they are doing it on more ships. Enjoy your cruise!

fdce410828b99995c50cebb67f983dde.jpg

Sailing on Saturday on the Glory. Just got an email from Carnival saying our room key will be outside our cabin door in the mailbox. Not sure how I feel about this. Feels like a security issue to me!!!!! I understand it is in a sealed envelope, but still feels iffy.

I've been reading about that over the past few days here and had the same initial reaction you did. Then I remembered there wouldn't be anything of value in the room until you put your belongings in there anyways. The only thing I could think of is someone grabbing a bath robe. But I'd imagine that would be something you could take up with Carnival.

My only other thought would be someone using your card to make charges. Also disputable, I imagine.

And I doubt that someone would bring the technology and equipment in board to duplicate your room key.

Anyways, I haven't read anything about people having any issues at all.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

They couldn't duplicate your room key without opening the envelope at which point you would see it had been tampered with and GS would deactivate that card. They aren't RFID chipped so there no chance to make a copy without physically opening the envelope. Some people are overly paranoid. When swiped your S&S card will display your picture. Again, I haven't heard of any issues.

This is what the envelope looks like. I pretty much destroyed it when opening. It will be very obvious if it's tampered with.

1aab7cf687cd63cd3fa9862c6bf17a77.jpg

This is not new .

I've been reading about that over the past few days here and had the same initial reaction you did. Then I remembered there wouldn't be anything of value in the room until you put your belongings in there anyways. The only thing I could think of is someone grabbing a bath robe. But I'd imagine that would be something you could take up with Carnival.

My only other thought would be someone using your card to make charges. Also disputable, I imagine.

And I doubt that someone would bring the technology and equipment in board to duplicate your room key.

Anyways, I haven't read anything about people having any issues at all.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

By the by, you have to ask for a robe if you want one. (This is a cut back I didn't notice, or cared about!):rolleyes:

No worries...many lines are going to this...don't know why...but it's all fine.

It stops people from accessing their rooms early. Priority cards are put out just before 11:30, general are put out at 1 or 2 or whenever the rooms are ready and the announcement is made. Keeps the room stewards from getting lots of requests while they are still turning the rooms.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not an issue - Think about it this way if someone comes buy and snags your key then that means when you get to your room your key won't be there so you simply go to guest service and get a new one reissued and the old one is deactivated

Second thing people worry about is people might use your card - Okay so they go and try and use it your picture pops up - problem solved and if for some reason they manage to use it at one of the handful of swipe yourself locations like say the arcade - there are cameras all over the place

Not an issue - Think about it this way if someone comes buy and snags your key then that means when you get to your room your key won't be there so you simply go to guest service and get a new one reissued and the old one is deactivated

Second thing people worry about is people might use your card - Okay so they go and try and use it your picture pops up - problem solved and if for some reason they manage to use it at one of the handful of swipe yourself locations like say the arcade - there are cameras all over the place

Is the Arcade open in port? Everything else is closed so the only thing someone can get before you noticed would be a few drinks.

how about this, you're not in a ghetto, most cruisers are honest family people. Why would you go to someone else's room and take a key that is essentially unusable.

So crime does not exist outside of ghetto's? This statement is just wrong on so many levels.

Is the Arcade open in port? Everything else is closed so the only thing someone can get before you noticed would be a few drinks.

I don't know if they are open I was just giving an example as I did not want someone to come back and say but what about blah blah blah

Years ago I would find my excursion tickets in my mailbox the night before the activity. I never had any tampered with or missing.

What annoyed me was when someone filled out a breakfast room service request for 5AM, and the card read "Mr Jones" with my cabin #. I got pranked, andI didn't think it was funny being awakened by the incessant knocking on the cabin door at such an early hour. I asked both Guest Services and Room Service later in the morning if they check the names on those cards against a real time cabin census prior to making up the delivery.

Here is my issue....there is no simply going to the guest service desk to get a new one.

Have you ever taken a look at the guest services desk on embarkation day...long long long lines

:)Just one point more about security and you key card. Your picture is on it and any time you buy something or the card is scanned you picture will come up. If some idiot steals your key card and tries to use it i don't think he or she will look like you. No worries be happy.:cool:

Here is my issue....there is no simply going to the guest service desk to get a new one.

Have you ever taken a look at the guest services desk on embarkation day...long long long lines

You get to go to the Diamond/Platinum/FTTF line. The wait isn't bad.

:)Just one point more about security and you key card. Your picture is on it and any time you buy something or the card is scanned you picture will come up. If some idiot steals your key card and tries to use it i don't think he or she will look like you. No worries be happy.:cool:

I think that layer does help, but that depends on the waiter actually verifying the photo. On Lido pre-sail away they are trying to push as many drinks as possible and just asking for the folio number and going off to enter the order later. This leaves room for a lack of verification.

At any rate, I would have to agree that an issue wouldn't come up. And if this helps we efficiency, then I'm all for it. The shorter time waiting in the terminal, the better.

We sail on the Glory in 24 days!! WooHooo! Glad to hear they are implementing this. We were just on the Vista in Feb. and they already had this system in place. It's pretty nice and works well.

We will be boarding with FTTF so hopefully our cards will be at our cabins when we board! No issues whatsoever with stealing, tampering, etc.

It stops people from accessing their rooms early. Priority cards are put out just before 11:30, general are put out at 1 or 2 or whenever the rooms are ready and the announcement is made. Keeps the room stewards from getting lots of requests while they are still turning the rooms.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Excellent idea because too many people who are not Priority think the rules don't apply to them.