room keys and mailbox

ukdeblarz

Do you have to show a photo ID along with your boarding pass when boarding since they aren't scanning a card with a picture attached? If so, it could take longer to get on the ship because not every one is going to have their photo ID ready before getting in line.

It seems like this would actually make you wait longer in the terminal since it takes less time to get seated. Boarding would start at the same time as with the old process.

So crime does not exist outside of ghetto's? This statement is just wrong on so many levels.

I was making an analogy, maybe a poor one. Cruise passengers paying a couple of thousand for a week are not likely to be people lurking the hallways looking to steal someone's S&S card.

Do you have to show a photo ID along with your boarding pass when boarding since they aren't scanning a card with a picture attached? If so, it could take longer to get on the ship because not every one is going to have their photo ID ready before getting in line.

It seems like this would actually make you wait longer in the terminal since it takes less time to get seated. Boarding would start at the same time as with the old process.

Yes we did have to show our Passports but it wasn't any big deal. Just keep them out from the check in desk before security. It definitely does not slow things down. They tell you when you check in and announce it over the loudspeaker as well.

By the by, you have to ask for a robe if you want one. (This is a cut back I didn't notice, or cared about!):rolleyes:

This is not a cutback. It's saving money and the environment by unnecessarily having to launder bathrobes that were not used. By us having to request bathrobes, we are assured they are clean and the hardworking stewards and laundry crew members have a little less work..

This has been going on for months on Splendor and Vista. No problems reported. There are TONS of threads on this. I did it on Vista in March and it made embarkation much faster. Here is the card you are given upon the initial check in right before security.

You may be the first cruise on Glory that will have it this way. I heard they were rolling it out fleet wide and am glad they are doing it on more ships. Enjoy your cruise!

fdce410828b99995c50cebb67f983dde.jpg

Very informative. How does it make embarkation faster?

They couldn't duplicate your room key without opening the envelope at which point you would see it had been tampered with and GS would deactivate that card. They aren't RFID chipped so there no chance to make a copy without physically opening the envelope. Some people are overly paranoid. When swiped your S&S card will display your picture. Again, I haven't heard of any issues.

How does it have your picture if the staff didn't take your picture and if they did isn't the card on board already?

They couldn't duplicate your room key without opening the envelope at which point you would see it had been tampered with and GS would deactivate that card. They aren't RFID chipped so there no chance to make a copy without physically opening the envelope. Some people are overly paranoid. When swiped your S&S card will display your picture. Again, I haven't heard of any issues.

How does it have your picture if the staff didn't take your picture and if they did isn't the card on board already?

The same way it has always been. The picture is attached to your profile which is stored on the computer. They never swiped your card to "put" your picture on it to begin with. Didn't you ever notice the cards were already in envelopes in a file when they went to get them? They then opened it and handed the cards to you. They can either use your Passport picture when they scan it at the entrance or take your picture. It's no different.

The same way it has always been. The picture is attached to your profile which is stored on the computer. They never swiped your card to "put" your picture on it to begin with. Didn't you ever notice the cards were already in envelopes in a file when they went to get them? They then opened it and handed the cards to you. They can either use your Passport picture when they scan it at the entrance or take your picture. It's no different.

Right, no photo when you check in, but before getting on the gangway they scan your boarding pass (it has a barcode on it) and your photo comes up on the computer(or iPad ). If the passport photo didn't scan well, or if you travel without a passport, they just snap a new one with the iPad and away you go. Simple. Quick, easy.

You're Picture isn't physically on your card. When your card is scanned, the employee will see your photo on the computers. Nothing has changed in that regard. Other than you may not have to have your photo taken, and they don't have to sort through all the envelope with the keys before boarding.

In terms of speeding up check in, let's say the old process took an extra 2 minutes if the agent helps ten people in front of you, that's 20 minutes you don't have to wait.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yep. It totally eliminates the second line unless you need to change something about your form of payment for your onboard account. You can take care of it there vs having to go to GS. I am a huge fan of both staggered check in and having your cards in the mailbox.

Here is my issue....there is no simply going to the guest service desk to get a new one.

Have you ever taken a look at the guest services desk on embarkation day...long long long lines

As someone else said go to quicker line

Yep. It totally eliminates the second line unless you need to change something about your form of payment for your onboard account. You can take care of it there vs having to go to GS. I am a huge fan of both staggered check in and having your cards in the mailbox.

me too

true, true, still it's not right

Might not be right but I would certainly go in the shorter line for this instance as my key should have been there to begin with - Or at least make it so that the room steward can go get a replacement key for the guests

I doubt many people have this issue anyways

Might not be right but I would certainly go in the shorter line for this instance as my key should have been there to begin with - Or at least make it so that the room steward can go get a replacement key for the guests

I doubt many people have this issue anyways

It is right. It says it on the card you get upon check in (that I already posted) and directly on the envelopes that contain your cards.

Haven't had a cruise with Carnival yet where they leave the S&S card at the room mailbox. Cruising on Pride in September, guess if could be implemented on Pride by then if this process is rolling out "fleet wide".

However, we did experience a very smooth boarding process on the RCL Anthem of the Seas earlier this month, at one of the crummiest ports out there in Bayonne NJ. RCL has implemented the, put the cards in the mailbox process on some of their ships. Something they've implemented that helps some, is an online process to upload your ship photo as part of your online checkin, so I followed the guidelines for the pictures, and upload both my wife's and mine, with no issue. When we arrived at the port to board, we handed our boarding pass and passports to the agent, without waiting in any line, a swipe of the passport, our pictures "checked out"...couple of taps on the agents tablet, followed by, have a nice cruise, and we went directly to the ship. Ok, not quite directly, we did have to pass through the security check, then went directly to the ship. Ok, not quite directly, we stopped and ogled some the "different" lanyards for sale before boarding, and got some info on the drink package we'd purchased online, THEN went directly to the ship. And we have no "status" with Royal as this was only our second cruise on RCL.

All in all, a pretty quick and smooth embarkation. Now I'm sure they have some glitches and flare ups from time to time, but none we noticed. We boarded the ship about 11:15, and since our cabins were not going to be ready until 1 or 1:30, we went to guest services to put cash on our onboard account. Lines were non-existent, so for that slice of time at least, did not seem to be a rush to GS for boarding issues.

So if Carnival is working towards a similar process, I mean if RCL is doing it, it HAS to be good, but ultimately it does have the potential to get people onto the ships quicker and more efficiently...several IF's and issues to overcome to get there, but there is potential with these changes they seem to have started for boarding. Thats just my HO.

Something they've implemented that helps some, is an online process to upload your ship photo as part of your online checkin, so I followed the guidelines for the pictures, and upload both my wife's and mine, with no issue.

Carnival is starting to use your passport photo as your ship photo. On my previous cruise thats what they did at checkin when they swiped the passport.

Carnival is starting to use your passport photo as your ship photo. On my previous cruise thats what they did at checkin when they swiped the passport.

Yep, we cruised on the Vista last year and they did the same on that cruise as well. But we picked up our S&S cards during checkin, not at cabin.

Point of my long winded post was to suggest where some see these change as archaic and see little to no time saving, only potential for the theft of their s&s cards, that implemented properly, if can make the boarding process more efficient.

:)Just one point more about security and you key card. Your picture is on it and any time you buy something or the card is scanned you picture will come up. If some idiot steals your key card and tries to use it i don't think he or she will look like you. No worries be happy.:cool:

The only downfall of that is that if a person orders a drink from one of the waiters walking around selling drinks, that waiter just takes down your folio number and your card doesn't get scanned. And the bartender that makes the drink hasn't seen your face to compare.

It stops people from accessing their rooms early. Priority cards are put out just before 11:30, general are put out at 1 or 2 or whenever the rooms are ready and the announcement is made. Keeps the room stewards from getting lots of requests while they are still turning the rooms.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not always. On my Vista cruise, we walked down the hall to put our luggage in our Platinum friends room (we are Gold) and our keys were already in our mailbox at 1145.

The only downfall of that is that if a person orders a drink from one of the waiters walking around selling drinks, that waiter just takes down your folio number and your card doesn't get scanned. And the bartender that makes the drink hasn't seen your face to compare.

Yes, it is true that the possibility of someone using your card exists. The chances of it are small and if someone uses your card fraudulently you just need to go to GS and have the charge removed.

That's the same whether or not you have a card. It's always been like that. At least in my experience. Even in the comedy clubs, etc. they write it down. Could you imagine all the cards they would have to carry when they take everyone's orders each time?

If there are any errors on your account go see GS and have it corrected. It does happen from time to time and it doesn't have anything to do with how or when your cards are received. Some people (not you) are overly paranoid.