Comparison of HAL to Celebrity

merinski

One's geographical location, demographic category, proximity to ports of embarkation/disembarkation, travel interests, on board cruise interests, availability of leisure time dependant on whether one is currently in the work force, and ultimately finances, are all factors at play in one's choice of cruise line.

We are fortunate to have the blessings of choice, financial security, and leisure time to even contemplate an activity that was once reserved for only the very wealthy. As Hank mentioned above, the cruising experience is fluid as new developments take place and cruise lines try to adapt to trends and new preferences. Reviews from even a year ago may no longer be relevant in some cases.

Our last HAL cruise on Eurodam blew us away in terms of culinary offerings. We had some.of.the best meals we've eaten any where, not just at sea. The new Lincoln Center Stage offered world class talent with its string/piano quintet presenting a wonderful selection from both the classical and contemporary musical repertoires. Fantastic. These are just two examples of outstanding experiences we had not yet encountered on HAL, even as regularly as we cruise.

$600 a day extra per couple for "better food", Oceania had better deliver the goods.

Our own experience with Crystal led us to conclude they offer more froufrou than substance for their higher prices, along with smaller, cramped and poorly laid out ocean view cabins (vs the HAL suites for the price).

High end decor is their winning card. But for that extra amount I could redo my own house instead of enjoying the luxe details on Crystal for a few days. Go with what makes you happy. We ourselves have gotten past the point where we would eat up any alleged culinary differences.

But at one time that would have been more tempting an option. No longer. Plain and simple now, particularly when taking longer cruises is essential for us. But for shorter cruises, have a blow out - a $600 a day extra blow out because that is what vacations are for. Enjoy your cruise.

Without expecting that I will (or wanting to) sway you to adopting my preferences, do recognize that the difference is for far more than just food. Beyond the tangible included amenities (linens, toiletries and beds - the brand/model being one that some folks actually purchase after experiencing the difference), there is the crew ratio, passenger population, and a host of qualitative differences that make the price difference not that significant in the overall picture for some passengers.

After all (as another example), a car is a car, yet some folks buy a Ford and others an Audi at twice the price.

And why buy a 1000 sq ft beach bungalow in California for well over $1 or $2 million when the same basic house in Florida goes for as little as a quarter of that? Believe me, it's not just because the sun sets on the correct side of the coast out west.

Given the quick sell out of prime cabins on some premium/luxury lines be itineraries, it's reasonable to assume that many cruisers share my assessment.

Again, "to each his/her own."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Without expecting that I will (or wanting to) sway you to adopting my preferences, do recognize that the difference is for far more than just food. Beyond the tangible included amenities (linens, toiletries and beds - the brand/model being one that some folks actually purchase after experiencing the difference), there is the crew ratio, passenger population, and a host of qualitative differences that make the price difference not that significant in the overall picture for some passengers.

After all (as another example), a car is a car, yet some folks buy a Ford and others an Audi at twice the price.

And why buy a 1000 sq ft beach bungalow in California for well over $1 or $2 million when the same basic house in Florida goes for as little as a quarter of that? Believe me, it's not just because the sun sets on the correct side of the coast out west.

Given the quick sell out of prime cabins on some premium/luxury lines be itineraries, it's reasonable to assume that many cruisers share my assessment.

Again, "to each his/her own."

I did one O cruise and one "O" cruise was enough for us.

Food was not as advertised, service mediocre. In fact the Prinsendam could teach them a few things.

the stateroom was gorgeous - well laid out, but, there is more to a cruise than a stateroom.

My cruise might have been a one off - but at least on HAL my dirty plates are removed in a timely manner -not 45 minutes later, someone makes sure the food is ok and the crew care.

Cruise ratio is irrelevant when the staff are aloof, uncaring and cold. Just my experience of course.

Most of us can discuss topics without resorting to personal "unthinking" insults.

Straying from the topic just a bit, you should become familiar with modern measures of quality of life that penalize societies for economic inequality. You might be surprised to see that the USA is no longer considered to be representative of the best countries in which to live. This is not just a liberal opinion (I am not particularly liberal); a simple Google search will show this to be true.

Getting back to cruising. You can pay for a larger cabin but we all enjoy the same ship. Putting it another way, you can pay more to sit closer to the orchestra but I would object if the others had to listen to another lesser orchestra.

igraf

This sounds like a bit of unthinking egalitarianism. Airlines offer first, business and coach classes; beach hotels have things like "ocean view" and "garden view"; theatres have balcony, mezzanine and orchestra seating.

What can possibly be wrong with offering different levels of accommodation and service for people willing to pay more (or wanting to pay less) for what they want?

I just looked at an Oceania 14-day Holiday cruise from 19 Dec - 2 January, 2018. Cruise-only fare in an ocean view room is $5,999. A 13-day holiday cruise on Crystal from 22 Dec - 5 January, 2018 in an ocean view room costs $6,040. On Oceania, you get:

• Prestige Tranquility Bed, an Oceania Cruises exclusive, with 1,000-thread-count linens
  • Refrigerated mini-bar with free and unlimited soft drinks and bottled water replenished daily
  • Full-size bathtub
  • Complimentary 24-hour room service
  • Signature Belgian chocolates with nightly turndown service
  • Plush cotton towels
  • Thick cotton robes and slippers
  • Bulgari amenities
  • Handheld hair dryer
  • Flat-screen television with live satellite news and programming
  • DVD player with extensive media library
  • Wireless Internet access

On Crystal you get:

• Complimentary select fine wines, champagne and premium spirits, as well as authentic, regional, local and seasonal wine and beer where available
  • Complimentary gratuities for all dining, bar, housekeeping and butler staff
  • Complimentary select fine wines, champagne and premium spirits
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi and Internet access. Restrictions apply
  • Complimentary evening of specialty restaurant dining at least once in Silk Road or the Sushi Bar celebrating the cuisine of Nobu Matsuhisa, and at least once in Prego.
  • Complimentary enrichment via the innovative Creative Learning Institute® and Computer University@Sea® with classes in diverse topics such as world affairs, wellness, art, wine appreciation, digital photography and iPad filmmaking.
  • Complimentary fitness and Wellness at Sea® programs with classes in yoga, mat Pilates, Spinning®, and so much more!

Guess which line I'm looking at? :)

Holland America - suite - 14 day $1,700-$2,300 over the holidays in Dec 2017

Crystal - $464 a day- ocean view

Oceania - $428 a day - ocean view

HAL - $164 a day - suite

Whatever.

You will find the above quoted were "rack" rates. Many "savvy" cruisers on Oceania and perhaps other similar cruise lines will know that they do NOT pay the full fares quoted.

We learnt our "lesson" when we went on our first cruise with Oceania and discovered that so many passengers paid just a fraction of what we paid - we felt so "foolish" having paid so much more than they did. So on our subsequent cruises with Oceania, we did the same as those passengers, and looked for cruises which we liked which also offered discounted fares. If we remembered correctly, we saved about 40 percent off the quoted fares - and this is not uncommon. In addition, Oceania also have offers "O-Life" bonuses that include free wifi plus a choice of on-board credit, or free excursions or wines on many of their cruises.

We would expect you would get discounted fares on those other cruise lines in those category/categories.

We will be going on our first HAL cruise soon, and we shall wait until we have sailed with them to comment on how the experience with them will be.

However, we have tried other mass market cruises too, and there was quite a mark difference with them and those cruise lines like Oceania.From our observations, the mass market cruises seemed to be very good in terms of price and quality several years back, but they all seem to be experiencing "cut backs" thus reducing their quality of standards and offering less and less over time (with more and more things being required to pay extra for) . Meanwhile, the so-called "luxury/lower luxury" cruise lines are getting better and better, and offering even more to passengers as time goes on.

Some might say "You get what you pay for". We had hoped not, we were hoping that sailing with mass market cruises, we would still get wonderful experiences at a better price. Don't most people who sail with these cruise lines?

Edited by Cahpek

You will find the above quoted were "rack" rates. Many "savvy" cruisers on Oceania and perhaps other similar cruise lines will know that they do NOT pay the full fares quoted.

We learnt our "lesson" when we went on our first cruise with Oceania and discovered that so many passengers paid just a fraction of what we paid - we felt so "foolish" having paid so much more than they did. So on our subsequent cruises with Oceania, we did the same as those passengers, and looked for cruises which we liked which also offered discounted fares. If we remembered correctly, we saved about 40 percent off the quoted fares - and this is not uncommon. In addition, Oceania also have offers "O-Life" bonuses that include free wifi plus a choice of on-board credit, or free excursions or wines on many of their cruises.

We would expect you would get discounted fares on those other cruise lines in those category/categories.

We will be going on our first HAL cruise soon, and we shall wait until we have sailed with them to comment on how the experience with them will be.

However, we have tried other mass market cruises too, and there was quite a mark difference with them and those cruise lines like Oceania.From our observations, the mass market cruises seemed to be very good in terms of price and quality several years back, but they all seem to be experiencing "cut backs" thus reducing their quality of standards and offering less and less over time (with more and more things being required to pay extra for) . Meanwhile, the so-called "luxury/lower luxury" cruise lines are getting better and better, and offering even more to passengers as time goes on.

Some might say "You get what you pay for". We had hoped not, we were hoping that sailing with mass market cruises, we would still get wonderful experiences at a better price. Don't most people who sail with these cruise lines?

I just checked the Crystal site and the actual fare (with the perks listed by the guy saying O & Crystal are priced the same) for "cruise only" on Crystal does not include all the perk items in his original list. That fare is $ $7500 not $6000.

And back to our regularly scheduled program.

If you're getting bored with Celebrity, HAL is not the best move to make. Consider Princess or Royal Caribbean.

And for goodness sake, do not go Oceania or Crystal. I've done both. One word - ZZZZZZZZ.

And back to our regularly scheduled program.

If you're getting bored with Celebrity, HAL is not the best move to make. Consider Princess or Royal Caribbean.

I would strongly disagree with that.

Food & service on Royal Caribbean & Princess is a noticeable step down from HAL or Celebrity.

Space ratio on HAL ships is much better.

Royal Caribbean's ships have the loudest pool areas I've ever experienced; LOUD music, LOUD pool games, LOUD drunk people. It's tough to take. :(

Princess is very crowded; if you don't mind that, and the so-so food & service, have at it.

I would say that both Royal Caribbean & Princess have better entertainment in the main theater than HAL, though.

I completely love the idea of a "ship within a ship". For those who wish to pay more, they can have a different experience. Cruise ships are not like schools where everyone is required to have the same standard. It is a vacation venue and as such, should have different levels of price and service, quite like the airlines. That is like saying I will never fly on an airplane with a first class cabin because they get better seats and food. I am looking forward to trying The Haven on NCL.

Based on our experience, I certainly would not say that HAL is less expensive that Celebrity. We have found the relative pricing between them to be variable. Prices change frequently.

We do not find any difference in the level or quality of service between the two cruise lines.

HAL certainly has some unique itineraries.

And for goodness sake, do not go Oceania or Crystal. I've done both. One word - ZZZZZZZZ.

If you carefully read what the OP is looking for, I'm not sure Royal Caribbean would fit the bill; Princess or HAL might, depending on the cruise. The OP appears to be looking for not just MORE, but a different KIND of entertainment:

Also the entertainment is not as good as it used to be. We like clean comedy and classical music or Band music , real talent. Can anyone tell me if HAL could be right for us?