Help me decide...Carnival Vista or MSC Seaside?

kvickers

Is that really a measure of anything though? I'm starting to think the majority of this place would recommend the SS Minnow over a Carnival ship for a cruise. I always have to double check what forum Im actually on as this forum has a lot of Carnival haters and disgruntled Carnival cruisers in general on it it seems. Most of them keep booking Carnival cruises though. LOL

Insanity.

I don't think that's the case at all. I think most speak through experience and thru traveling other lines. I can only imagine how many people only cruise Carnival and don't even do their homework with other lines. The facts are that Carnival prices aren't always lower, a lot of their ships are older, food is fair at best, and perks to book are few. Like I mentioned, I sailed the Vista in April and will be on the Seaside. The Seaside will be stunning in every way. kids under 12 sail free so that is huge for me. The price for us four on the Seaside with a balcony was less than an inside on Vista by a lot and it included $200 OBC. I bet not even 1% of Carnival's regular cruisers even checked out MSC cruises before or even heard of them. People in general do NOT do their homework contrary to what they say.

I agree with tallnthensome. Most Carnival cruisers are brainwashed into thinking that Carnival is the best and cheapest. They don't compare apples with apples if they do compare. They look at prices for the Fantasy series, and compare it to the newest and greatest of the other lines. If you look at Carnival's new ships and compare, the Carnival comes in a distant 2nd or 3rd pricewise and anemnity wise.

We booked the 6 nights on the Vista instead of the 7 on the Seaside. A few things that made a difference for us, We are going on virtually the same itinerary in Sept on the Oasis as the Seaside itinerary. We know Carnival and can read reviews of the Vista, while the Seaside seems like it will be awesome, we don't know yet. Because it was only 6 days not 7, we saved $100 a piece overall. Our kids are grown, so the kids sail free thing is not a factor for us. We will likely try MSC later next year, although we are also interested in the new NCL ships.

I don't think you can go wrong with either honestly. Like i said, Vista was where we landed, mostly based on itinerary. Oh yeah WCMC with peanut butter doesn't hurt either.

We booked the 6 nights on the Vista instead of the 7 on the Seaside. A few things that made a difference for us, We are going on virtually the same itinerary in Sept on the Oasis as the Seaside itinerary. We know Carnival and can read reviews of the Vista, while the Seaside seems like it will be awesome, we don't know yet. Because it was only 6 days not 7, we saved $100 a piece overall. Our kids are grown, so the kids sail free thing is not a factor for us. We will likely try MSC later next year, although we are also interested in the new NCL ships.

I don't think you can go wrong with either honestly. Like i said, Vista was where we landed, mostly based on itinerary. Oh yeah WCMC with peanut butter doesn't hurt either.

That's fair. I wish you the best of cruises! You could always try MSC at a later time, you will have many options to choose from Miami soon, and of course you'll have the MSC ship that shuffles between 6 islands that you could board in either Guadeloupe (direct flights from San Juan, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and JFK) or Martinique (direct flights from San Juan, Miami and JFK) (There could be more airlines than I know flying to and from the US to these islands. Norwegian Air had seasonal flights from Baltimore/Washington and Boston to Martinique and Guadeloupe, but they haven't been renewed for the 2017/18 winter, but they have been from New York and FLL, but this is besides the point), so there are many other places and times for you to try MSC! :)

I don't think that's the case at all. I think most speak through experience and thru traveling other lines. I can only imagine how many people only cruise Carnival and don't even do their homework with other lines. The facts are that Carnival prices aren't always lower, a lot of their ships are older, food is fair at best, and perks to book are few. Like I mentioned, I sailed the Vista in April and will be on the Seaside. The Seaside will be stunning in every way. kids under 12 sail free so that is huge for me. The price for us four on the Seaside with a balcony was less than an inside on Vista by a lot and it included $200 OBC. I bet not even 1% of Carnival's regular cruisers even checked out MSC cruises before or even heard of them. People in general do NOT do their homework contrary to what they say.

Coming from Royal Caribbean to Carnival, I have certainly done my homework. I happen to think Carnivals food is much better overall and the service is the same or even better in some cases. Royal has better ships and better entertainment but thats about where it ends for me as far as being "better" and in both my cases so far Carnival has definitely been cheaper. I dont look at MSC because Im simply not driving all the way to Miami to get on ANY cruise ship so they are out for me. I bet by the time I include airfare from ATL to MIA for three, MSC certainly wouldnt be cheaper. I can drive to Port Canaveral, Tampa and several others Carnival sails out of in about 8 hours and 30.00 in gas. If MSC ever decides to bring a ship to PC, I will certainly give them a look. :) I wont hold my breath waiting though.

I bet by the time I include airfare from ATL to MIA for three, MSC certainly wouldnt be cheaper. I can drive to Port Canaveral, Tampa and several others Carnival sails out of in about 8 hours and 30.00 in gas.

We live in Atlanta. With airfare for four, rental car, a pre-cruise stay at the W Resort in Ft. Lauderdale, and all other associated expenses, we still saved about $1,200 than if we had sailed on Carnival out of Port Canaveral (and driven). MSC allowed us to take advantage of 3 significant discounts when we sailed on them (kids sail free, 2 for 1 balcony promo and a loyalty match discount) which is why there was such a big difference in price. I do get the convenience (and perceived savings) associated with just hopping in the car and driving (we are driving to Port Canaveral for our next cruise), but our cruise on MSC was a definite exception to the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with tallnthensome. Most Carnival cruisers are brainwashed into thinking that Carnival is the best and cheapest. They don't compare apples with apples if they do compare. They look at prices for the Fantasy series, and compare it to the newest and greatest of the other lines. If you look at Carnival's new ships and compare, the Carnival comes in a distant 2nd or 3rd pricewise and anemnity wise.

Brainwashed? Carnival provides a good product at a good value, their pricing has remained fairly constant over the last 24 months (I am sure basher's will have issue with that). There is a reason why some of those other lines throw in all the freebies..... We can discuss and compare further if you want....

We live in Atlanta. With airfare for four, rental car, a pre-cruise stay at the W Resort in Ft. Lauderdale, and all other associated expenses, we still saved about $1,200 than if we had sailed on Carnival out of Port Canaveral (and driven). MSC allowed us to take advantage of 3 significant discounts when we sailed on them (kids sail free, 2 for 1 balcony promo and a loyalty match discount) which is why there was such a big difference in price. I do get the convenience (and perceived savings) associated with just hopping in the car and driving (we are driving to Port Canaveral for our next cruise), but our cruise on MSC was a definite exception to the rule.

On a semi related topic, how many kids were on the ship (MSC)?

Coming from Royal Caribbean to Carnival, I have certainly done my homework. I happen to think Carnivals food is much better overall and the service is the same or even better in some cases. Royal has better ships and better entertainment but thats about where it ends for me as far as being "better" and in both my cases so far Carnival has definitely been cheaper. I dont look at MSC because Im simply not driving all the way to Miami to get on ANY cruise ship so they are out for me. I bet by the time I include airfare from ATL to MIA for three, MSC certainly wouldnt be cheaper. I can drive to Port Canaveral, Tampa and several others Carnival sails out of in about 8 hours and 30.00 in gas. If MSC ever decides to bring a ship to PC, I will certainly give them a look. :) I wont hold my breath waiting though.

We also live in Atlanta and drive to many cruises especially Port Canaveral. We have also found it very economical to fly to Fort Lauderdale and Miami as well. You just need to watch for the airfare sales. Miami has been as low as $49 each way on American. Southwest is very cheap to Fort Lauderdale and a shuttle to the Port of Miami is only $15pp. We have the advantage of saving money by staying with family in the area before a cruise, but we have also gotten great deals at Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center through valuetrip.com. It's a great hotel and very convenient to the port, shopping and dining. You can get a pre-cruise room for $153 (way below their usual rate).

My wife an I have sailed on NCL, RCCL and Carnival. We're in our mid-50s and we seem to enjoy the Carnival cruises the best. I completely agree with your assessment of Carnival compared to RCCL.

....and yet you still post here regularly....;)

Exactly .Im currently ABR. Anyone But Royal. You wont see me down the hall trolling the Royal forum every single day though complaining about every single thing that is Royal Caribbean. What purpose would that serve?

We also live in Atlanta and drive to many cruises especially Port Canaveral. We have also found it very economical to fly to Fort Lauderdale and Miami as well. You just need to watch for the airfare sales. Miami has been as low as $49 each way on American. Southwest is very cheap to Fort Lauderdale and a shuttle to the Port of Miami is only $15pp. We have the advantage of saving money by staying with family in the area before a cruise, but we have also gotten great deals at Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center through valuetrip.com. It's a great hotel and very convenient to the port, shopping and dining. You can get a pre-cruise room for $153 (way below their usual rate).

My wife an I have sailed on NCL, RCCL and Carnival. We're in our mid-50s and we seem to enjoy the Carnival cruises the best. I completely agree with your assessment of Carnival compared to RCCL.

Thank you for the info :) I shall look into that for sure!

Exactly .Im currently ABR. Anyone But Royal. You wont see me down the hall trolling the Royal forum every single day though complaining about every single thing that is Royal Caribbean. What purpose would that serve?

For whatever the reason (and he is not all that bad), there are some with what seems to be an agenda, but to each their own.

On a semi related topic, how many kids were on the ship (MSC)?

I couldn't give you an exact number but the kids program was well attended. It seems as if there were just as many kids as on other summer cruises that we've taken on other cruise lines. MSC does a great job keeping kids entertained and away from where adults hang out. Didn't witness out of control kids during this cruise although some cultural differences were definitely apparent (like parents getting their kids naked in public to get them in or out of their bathing suits). Not judging but I personally wouldn't have my kids completely naked in front of hundreds of adults [emoji85].

I couldn't give you an exact number but the kids program was well attended. It seems as if there were just as many kids as on other summer cruises that we've taken on other cruise lines. MSC does a great job keeping kids entertained and away from where adults hang out. Didn't witness out of control kids during this cruise although some cultural differences were definitely apparent (like parents getting their kids naked in public to get them in or out of their bathing suits). Not judging but I personally wouldn't have my kids completely naked in front of hundreds of adults [emoji85].

Thanks, was just curious how the kids sail free program was working.

Sent from my iPhone

Yes I do. Is there a rule against that? Besides I like to get under you skin, fan boy.

Nope, post away. Why is it that all the negative posters always resort to name calling? Hate to burst your bubble but your not under my skin....