Can you help me break down if the drink package is worth it?

We are in Canada and the drinks/wifi package is $65 per day. Deducting $20 a day for the internet package leaves $45 per day for drinks.

My husband and I have the soft drink package included in our cruise with a Costco package we booked, and I bought the coffee card for a few specialty coffees. I don't drink alcohol so I'm fine, my husband may have 3-4 a day tops.

So since we wouldn't be paying for soft drinks or speciality coffees that would leave $45 a day to cover:

• 1 fresh squeezed OJ with breakfast
  • 2 beers during the day
  • 1-2 glasses of wine with dinner
  • 2 other juices throughout the day (cranberry for example)

Does that seem like it would add up to $45 or are we better off just paying as we go?

Thanks!

If I recall the package only pays off if you have more than 8 drinks per day.

So in your case I would say that it doesn't pay off. Especially given some cost savings you may not know about:

If you have cruised with RC before and registered for Crown and Anchor you also will get a few buy one get one and reduced price coupons good for beer or wine.

In addition you can bring two bottles of wine onboard with you per stateroom which you may take to dinner and they will store them for you. No charge.

Although you said you wanted fresh squeezed OJ, the regular OJ from concentrate is free.

Oh wow, didn't know all of that, thanks! This is our 3rd cruise with RCCL. Few with Celebrity and one NCL.

Yeah and that is prob the max my husband would drink, he'd prob have the soda package more than juices during the day anyway. Fresh squeezed OJ is not that big of a deal, just thought he might have that if he bought the package. Realistically it sounds like he will do fine with the soda package, the coffee card and a pay for a couple of beers and/or glasses of wine. THANKS!!

If I recall the package only pays off if you have more than 8 drinks per day.

So in your case I would say that it doesn't pay off. Especially given some cost savings you may not know about:

If you have cruised with RC before and registered for Crown and Anchor you also will get a few buy one get one and reduced price coupons good for beer or wine.

In addition you can bring two bottles of wine onboard with you per stateroom which you may take to dinner and they will store them for you. No charge.

Although you said you wanted fresh squeezed OJ, the regular OJ from concentrate is free.

The fresh OJ is wonderful! Don't forget, you also get bottled water and specialty coffee included. My husband and I really enjoyed getting Frappes and trying coffees new to us, like Macchiatos and Lattes. Grabbing water to take off the ship while in port was really nice, too!

• 2 beers during the day

Does that seem like it would add up to $45 or are we better off just paying as we go?

Thanks!

Would you drink this amount on port days also? That would be a factor in the decision.

Unless you are a heavy drinker, which is doesn't look like you guys are, you will not get your money out of the drink package. At best you will break even. Now if you want to just have peace of mind that your bill won't be higher than the price of the package, I have heard some people book for that reason. Personally I just pay as I go.

We are also from Canada and it would be an easy yes for me, at $45.00 CAD per day.

Average beer is $6.50 american + 18% gratuity then + aprox 37% exchange = 10.50 CAD per beer

Average glass of wine 10 - 12 american, same math as above is 16.16 - 19.40 CAD per glass

As well he will get specialty coffee hot or iced, fresh squeezed OJ and bottled water still or sparkling which is always great to pick up whenever heading back to your room and put in the fridge for later.

Even with the port days factored in, I think your in money by taking the deluxe/voom package IMHO :-)

We bought the deluxe on our last cruise on Liberty (6th cruise first time w/ package) and it was WELL worth it. Even on port days we grabbed bottled water to go, wife had specialty coffees in a.m., 2 glasses of wine for dinner, a couple drinks each on balcony after dinner, and two soft drinks a piece during that day. Check out the discount days (like today) and buy it, you'll not worry a bit even if you just break even.

On a cruise like the Caribbean or Hawaii, my husband will average during the entire day 7 beers so for us, buying the Deluxe PCK is worth it and we save money. In considering whether to buy or not, one needs to look at what they average per day at home. For someone who drinks only beer as said above they need to average 7/8 per day.

So since we wouldn't be paying for soft drinks or speciality coffees that would leave $45 a day to cover:

• 2 beers during the day

Thanks!

So, I did the quick math, based on my cruise this spring, and you would be right on the cusp :) If he for sure did 2 glasses of wine each night and 2 beers, then you'd probably be just over $45. However, if the # of drinks you mention above are for both of you (ie, juice for you, alcohol for him), and since you aren't supposed to share a drink package, you would be better off just paying as you go.

Drink package pays off for the DH and I, because we EACH get at least the following each day:

- 3 bottles of water

- fancy coffee (ok, well that one is just me ;))

- 2 glasses of wine with dinner

- 3+ fancy mixed drinks per day (at least 3 on port days, probably more like 8 on sea days)

I am not at all a big drinker and the drink package paid off for me. Most days I more than broken even, but even on the days when I really did not feel like drinking much, I did enough to break even- including non-alcoholic drinks. But considering you have those already covered, you may be better paying as you go. I am not sure what ship you are on, but if I recall correctly from my most recent cruise, most of the beers were $6.95. Wine was expensive most of the time and there were just a few that were under the $12 amount of the package (so most were $13+). I did see 2 -3in the package range and they were in the $8-10 range. Admittedly I did not look that closely because I am picky and only like a couple of types of wine.

Its a better value if you drink cocktails and frozen drinks. The drink of the day was typically somewhere between $8.50 and $9.50. I am not sure about frozen drinks because they always rang up as $0 due to the drink package. Mimosas- they had a couple of days where they were 3 for $10 if you were paying out of pocket. I don't care for OJ, but I learned quickly that they had other flavors of mimosas like strawberry, which was a nice way to start the day. I would not have done it out of pocket though.

I agree drink pkg is way to go. It easy to have 2 glasses of wine at dinner due to the fact dinner is usually 2 hours. Add in bottled water, beer and a few misc drinks and you would be at minimum break even. The other nice thing is if you pay for it ahead of time it's one less thing to have on your ship account. You may also find yourse!f trying a different drink and not worry about wasting the money if you don't like it.

No sharing. I have the soda package (and so does he) and I am fine with that as well as the coffee card I bought. I'm not much of a water drinker so the occasional time I want one I'm fine with tap water. I don't drink alcohol and could care less about juice - that's just extra sugar calories I'd rather put towards other stuff lol.

He doubts very much he'd even have that much alcohol. He has a bit of a medical condition right now that is aggravated by alcohol so he might have 2 alcohol drinks a day. So he'll be fine with the soda package and doesn't mind buying the few other things he may want.

So, I did the quick math, based on my cruise this spring, and you would be right on the cusp :) If he for sure did 2 glasses of wine each night and 2 beers, then you'd probably be just over $45. However, if the # of drinks you mention above are for both of you (ie, juice for you, alcohol for him), and since you aren't supposed to share a drink package, you would be better off just paying as you go.

Drink package pays off for the DH and I, because we EACH get at least the following each day:

- 3 bottles of water

- fancy coffee (ok, well that one is just me ;))

- 2 glasses of wine with dinner

- 3+ fancy mixed drinks per day (at least 3 on port days, probably more like 8 on sea days)

If you're close to breaking even, I'd go for the package. Personally, I like the all inclusive approach and the package allows me to think that way. You never think about whether that second (or third :D) glass of wine is really worth the money, and you consider trying a new drink that you normally wouldn't be willing to pay $10+ for (that's how I first tried a Caipirinha). I'm on vacation and the package gives me one less thing to worry about (i.e. drink prices).

watch your cruise planner it does go up to 30% off. Got ours for $46 a day after the 18% tip. very easy to get your moneys worth if you drink OJ, Specialty coffee, water and a couple of frufru vacation drinks

I'm not sure if it's even an option, but I'm wondering that since your husband has the soda package already couldn't he just "upgrade" to the premium/ultimate whatever it's called now package and just pay the difference? I guess since you're looking at the internet and drinks package that may not be an option, but it's worth a shot. Then the price difference would be even less.

We do drink more then it sounds like your husband does, so for us it's a no brainer. I would still say go for it if you think he's on the edge of "breaking even". With out a doubt we drink more on vacation then in normal life (thank goodness....we would not accomplish much in real life if I started my day with a margarita ;p ) That way he won't even think about it if he wants just one more beer by the pool or a glass of wine even after dinner. Not to mention the coffee and water.

If he didn't have this minor medical condition that is aggravated by alcohol, trust me, the drink package would be in order!

As for the upgrade idea - sounds perfectly logical and makes perfect sense, but Royal doesn't allow this. Why not is a mystery to me, we may have just gone ahead and done it, but they won't allow it. That was the very first thing I asked about. I did get the stupid expensive Evian water package, so now we have soda packages (compliments of Costco), and the water and coffee packages so we should be OK. The occasional beer or glass of wine that DH gets we will just pay for as we go.

I'm not sure if it's even an option, but I'm wondering that since your husband has the soda package already couldn't he just "upgrade" to the premium/ultimate whatever it's called now package and just pay the difference? I guess since you're looking at the internet and drinks package that may not be an option, but it's worth a shot. Then the price difference would be even less.

We do drink more then it sounds like your husband does, so for us it's a no brainer. I would still say go for it if you think he's on the edge of "breaking even". With out a doubt we drink more on vacation then in normal life (thank goodness....we would not accomplish much in real life if I started my day with a margarita ;p ) That way he won't even think about it if he wants just one more beer by the pool or a glass of wine even after dinner. Not to mention the coffee and water.

If he didn't have this minor medical condition that is aggravated by alcohol, trust me, the drink package would be in order!

As for the upgrade idea - sounds perfectly logical and makes perfect sense, but Royal doesn't allow this. Why not is a mystery to me, we may have just gone ahead and done it, but they won't allow it. That was the very first thing I asked about. I did get the stupid expensive Evian water package, so now we have soda packages (compliments of Costco), and the water and coffee packages so we should be OK. The occasional beer or glass of wine that DH gets we will just pay for as we go.

I bet you can cancel the water package, if you no longer want it... Try doing this via online or calling. DH and I cancelled a water package once (by calling, I think), since we decided to go with the drink package instead...

Agree with most, your right on the cusp....My advice, get the package, your on vacation, foot the bill now, that way you don't have to worry about a thing on the ship...

Here's the added boings, when you are out by the pool and your drink gets warm half way through, if you have the package you don't have to "suffer" through the "not so cold" beverage anymore, go get a fresh/colder one ;)

CHEERS!!!