Ketchikan Excursion - Misty Fjords Float Plane Adventure

Jeter02

Looking at doing the Float Plane overlooking Misty Fjords when docked in Ketchikan, was wondering if anyone has done this excursion. Is it a yay or nay experience? Should I do it?

Thanks Keith. Any particular you booked directly with them over booking with Princess?

We customized........

We ended up using a smaller 4 seater plane for a more private tour with my son and FIL.

Went to the same places. Landed on a small lake and we were the only ones there. Saw bear/moose etc from the air.

They do the same tour as Princess as well with the bigger plane.

It was a tad cheaper. Not much though.

Great tip. The smaller plane alone, already makes it sound so much nicer. Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing this with me. Request form for booking has been sent!

We customized........

We ended up using a smaller 4 seater plane for a more private tour with my son and FIL.

Went to the same places. Landed on a small lake and we were the only ones there. Saw bear/moose etc from the air.

Edited by Jeter02

We customized........

Another vote for Island Wings. This was an awesome adventure with Michelle. You cannot go wrong on this one. Best excursion possible in Ketchikan. When we landed on the lake and exited the plane, there was not a sound anywhere. A very humbling experience. Go for it!;)

LOVE YOU ALL for this recommendation!!!! I am super excited, as I await for my return email, with all the booking details. YAY!!!!!

Another vote for Island Wings. This was an awesome adventure with Michelle. You cannot go wrong on this one. Best excursion possible in Ketchikan. When we landed on the lake and exited the plane, there was not a sound anywhere. A very humbling experience. Go for it!;)

Island Wings is terrific! Michelle will share some of her life as a year-round Alaska pilot, her plane looks brand new despite practically qualifying for social security [same for all planes in this area -- no one has built better planes for Alaska than the DeHaviland Beaver and Otter so everyone keeps using them–with enough TLC they will apparently live forever!]; and the landing is so peaceful and bucolic.

We also flew with Michelle on Island Wings and enjoyed it very much. It was a great experience and she is a very experienced pilot. IIRC, it was my husband and me and another couple, so only four of us altogether.

Another vote for Michelle and Island Wings. Had an amazing flight with Michelle a few years back and was worth every penny! Loved that we stopped in the middle of a mountain lake during our flight. A MUST-DO in my humble opinion!

We are going in 2 weeks. We will be going with Randy on Mountain Air. It's the same trip that Michelle makes. They share a dock. It's another alternative in case she is booked.

I am not doing any tours with the ship. In every case, we've been able to arrange a tour that's private with only our group of 6 for less money than the ship tours cost. We will be able to customize our experience for just us.

We did it a few years ago in Ketchikan ,booked thru the cruise line (had lots of OBC due to a "move over offer", TA ,Share, and Mil) We did a lot that trip.

Great flight . landed on the lake and all that .

It is our 2nd favorite Alaska shore tour . Best ever was the helicopter & landing on the glacier from Juneau.

The great thing about this trip was the absolute silence standing on the pontoons on the lake and watching eagles flying over our heads. You could almost touch the silence. I am so glad I did it before I developed tinnitus. I'll never experience silence again.

On this trip you'll see the real Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Pictures and videos I have seen of Michelle's tour, is absolute breath taking. I Can;t wait to experience this for myself.

The great thing about this trip was the absolute silence standing on the pontoons on the lake and watching eagles flying over our heads. You could almost touch the silence. I am so glad I did it before I developed tinnitus. I'll never experience silence again.

Highly recommend taking this trip.

We are doing a repeat booking with owner/pilot Ryan McCue of Alaskan Sea Plane tours also utilizing a small Beaver float plane. He was awesome.

Have a great trip!

We used Island Wings as well. We didn't have Michelle but her partner (can't remember his name) who was great. When we landed on the lake, rather than go to the same dock where the other planes let you out for 5 minutes, we beached on the other side. We were on shore for a good 20 minutes or more, walked inland a bit and the pilot regaled us with bear sighting stories.

We found that the price was the same as the Princess arranged excursion but the actual flight was longer by a half hour.

The only problem was getting off the ship in time. As it wasn't a Princess excursion, we had to wait in the long line with everyone else.

As I sit here listening to the incessant ringing I feel for you. It's been soooooooooooo long since I experienced silence. I miss it. The "idea" of the beautiful silence of being there is fantastic but it is would only be an "idea" for me.

If any of you that have done this have also done the Juneau-Taku Lodge Float plane/salmon lunch, and you could only afford one, which would you choose and why? Thanks!

I also would like an answer to this question please. Anyone done both excursions?

• 2 weeks later...
If any of you that have done this have also done the Juneau-Taku Lodge Float plane/salmon lunch, and you could only afford one, which would you choose and why? Thanks!

Taku Lodge was one of the best excursions we have ever done on Princess.

Beautiful Lodge. Excellent salmon lunch. A stroll through the woods in bear country.

Taku Lodge is located on the Taku River across from the Taku Glacier!!

What more could one ask for.

http://www.wingsairways.com/taku-lodge-feast-and-five-glacier-discovery

From the website:

Seaplane only access to Alaska’s famous Taku Glacier Lodge combines classic powerful aircraft, true wilderness, 5-massive glaciers, bears, vivid history with dog sledding roots, seafood and exclusive glacier view dining!

You’re in for the journey of a lifetime. Fly in a classic deHavilland seaplane over 5 breathtaking glaciers flowing from the Juneau Icefield, deep blue crevasses, snow-capped mountains, and the lush Tongass National Forest. Seeing glaciers from the air is an Alaskan MUST DO, and doing so by authentic Alaskan bush plane is the quintessential Alaskan experience! The Taku River will be your “runway” as you land at the elegantly rustic historic Taku Lodge, built in 1923 and located across the river from the 5 mile wide Taku Glacier, Juneau’s largest glacier.

Savor a feast of Fresh Wild Alaska King Salmon grilled to perfection, a chicken alternative, Taku baked beans, coleslaw, pioneer fruit compote, fresh herb biscuits and sourdough bread, all made from scratch. Drinks are chilled and served with actual glacier ice and special-recipe ginger cookies complete the meal. The scrumptious aroma of the alderwood grill attracts not only visitors daily, but also wild black bears.

Take a guided interpretative nature walk, stroll the trails or soak in the serenity of a place barely touched by time before your return flight to Juneau. You can do it all with this exclusive combination tour of Alaska’s premier attractions!

Note: All participants enjoy a window seat for enhanced viewing and a headset for continuous narration. The Taku Glacier Lodge is on the National Register of Historic Places. One of the most important modes of transportation in Alaska is the seaplane (also known as a floatplane), allowing you to escape into the true Alaskan