New to Elite...Laundry Questions

trbarton

I'm new to Elite? How does the laundry work? Does the room steward give you a special bag? Where do you leave it?

What has been peoples experience with the time to receive it back?

Thanks!

Tom😀

I'm new to Elite? How does the laundry work? Does the room steward give you a special bag? Where do you leave it?

What has been peoples experience with the time to receive it back?

Thanks!

Tom��

Just like some hotels. You get a bag and a check off price list in the closet (sometimes clipped to a hanger) that you fill out. If you need one ask Stewart.

The charge will show on your onboard account then will be deducted for the Elite perk.

The time frame? Well that's being played out on the "loss of Elite perks" thread right now.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2502175

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Make sure you check every item on the sheet you put in the bag. The steward also prints Elite on the sheet but the charges still appear on your folio. It is reversed later.

Pick what you send for laundry. There are possible shrinkage for some fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are newly elite and be sure and pre-spot anything you send in. They do not go thru it carefully - or make very clear notes as to where the spots are. I sent one dress shirt back 3 times. Be sure and mark things to be cleaned and not just pressed. There are two columns. As you can see, there is a learning curve - lol! Get extra bags from your steward and keep in a drawer. It took 48 hours on our last cruise with 1K elites on the Royal. They sent out a letter that said 72 hours, but it did not take that long. There is a cutoff day near the end of cruise, so ask ahead when that is! Any other questions, just ask. I will take some Tide pods in a baggy just in case I need something washed quicker! They work great and travel great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be sure to take a photo of each item so when they lose something you'll be able to show them what it was. :D

It does happen from time to time.

There's an idea I hadn't thought of. I have always jotted down a list of what I sent to the laundry, to make sure everything comes back. So far, nothing has not been returned, but I like your idea!

To OP .....

The laundry slip has multiple copies. Leave it intact, as none of them is intended tp be kept by the sender. That's why I had the habit of keeping a list of what I had sent. I draw a diagonal line across where the totals would be written on the lower part of the slip, and write "elite" across it.

There will be bags clipped to a hanger in the closet, where they always are at the start of a cruise. The slips will be with them. Usually the steward is good about replacing your supply of bags as they are used. Sometimes the steward will put the replacements on the shelf at the top of the closet.

While the bags are not huge, you'll be surprised by how much you can fit in one if you "pack" them carefully. I have found if I roll each item separately, quite a few items, even jeans and long pants, can be fit into a bag.

I just place the filled bag on my bed in the morning, for the steward to find when he does up the room in the morning.

Since the hanging items are on wire hangers when they come back, I usually transfer most items to the regular wooden hangers. Especially things like knit tops, because they don't do well on wire hangers, IMO. They're apt to get "shoulder bumps", which for me renders them unwearable until they are relaundered. Emptied wire hangers are left out for the steward to return to the laundry, unless I need then because wooden hangers are in short supply.

Wow... pretreat, take pictures and make a list of what you send out? It's sounds like it's easier to do it yourself than having to worry if something is going to come back clean or get lost. I'm happy Princess has self service machines. I hope they never eliminate them. To be honest that's one of the reasons I prefer Princess over the other lines. Even on a 7 day cruise we will do a wash or two.

I take a photo of the laundry slip - got tired of writing it down. With 300 elite on last long cruise it still came back at evening turndown if we left it for the steward the previous morning. If we left it at night usually got back evening two days later. Left side of form is for laundry, right side is for "dry cleaning", but you won't want to send both in the same bag. We only use the laundry service.

... Left side of form is for laundry, right side is for "dry cleaning", but you won't want to send both in the same bag. ...

The "dry cleaning" in quotes means it really isn't dry cleaning but another process which is more friendly to the environment and easier to deal with on a ship. The form doesn't call it dry cleaning either.

I have a question since I am getting close to Elite. Does the laundry service include pressing only? If so, what might be the typical turnaround on a 7 day cruise?

Searching online I found a photo of the laundry form which states to place a check mark in the "PRESS ONLY" box & it costs 80% of the cleaning price.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/GoldenPrincess/laundry.jpg

How quickly you'll have your laundry returned can vary but on most of my week long cruises it's been about 2 days. It's been up to 7 days on longer cruises where 1/3 of the passengers were Elite but that's highly unlikely to be your experience.