Help. Wedding with ccl on carnival magic

Whitedwarf

Ok so just booked a cruise with Carnival for this October. We are planning to wed in Conzumel. We are travelling only with our two kids (15 and 9).

Questions:

1. Should be pay Carnival $3000 to arrange / coordinate the wedding or arrange privately?

2. Photographer - this is included in CCLs $3000 however the photos themselves aren't included.

We live in Scotland UK so it's a bit of a logistical nightmare but I've red that it's way better and cheaper to get a local agent to coordinate etc and arrange own photographer. Sooooo

3. Any ideas or recommendations ??

I'm conscious that we don't have a wedding party per se so don't want it to be a damp squib!

Panicking because there's only 4 months. I don't even have a wedding dress yet!

Thanks in advance :hearteyes:

I would search both the Carnival section :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

As well as the honeymoon and wedding section:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Whatever you decide, please be aware that ports are never, ever guaranteed. If circumstances dictate your cruise does not make it to Cozumel, have a backup plan!

Whatever you decide, please be aware that ports are never, ever guaranteed. If circumstances dictate your cruise does not make it to Cozumel, have a backup plan!

This!

Many will get legally married at home (courthouse, etc) then do another one (basically a vow renewal) during the cruise. A bit easier than dealing with getting a foreign license and whatever else is needed.

If it's only the four of you, What EXACTLY do you want? The packages include food, drinks etc.

Other ideas

-Vow Renewal onboard (if married beforehand)

-Could do a nice meal in port or onboard at the Steakhouse.

-Flowers fresh flowers cannot be taken off the ship due to AG laws. Many will use silk.

-Book one of the photo packages, those I've seen done up are beautiful. There will be a display in the photo area. Find out if they can go onshore with you. Can coordinate timing with the sunset etc.

Edited by SadieN

I agree...the ship can skip ports, or rearrange the order and you have no recourse at all...I would do a civil wedding and use the cruise as a "celebration"...You could do a self-wedding or renewal on your own, since you'd already be legally married...sure would cost a bundle less!

I'll give you my experience on this. Ten years ago we wanted to get married on a cruise (because we had met on a cruise the year before), and I asked your same question on this board. I was advised that getting married on a ship with thousands of people on it was not romantic. And relying on getting to a port wasn't smart.

So I researched and booked a trip to an all-inclusive resort in Negril, Jamaica and bought their wedding package at a far cheaper price than what the cruise ship was offering.

It was an amazing experience and I didn't have to do anything; it was all arranged for me.

I will say though that we did get married by a judge in a courthouse before we left, just to make sure it was legal.

Good luck with whatever plans you end up with! And congratulations!

Hi and thanks for replies.

We have both previously been married and whilst we want it to be special, with kids we realise it's not going to be THAT romantic 😂

We would really prefer to not have the cruise ceremony just as a blessing. I'm just conscious of costs. It doesn't seem you get that much for $3000. Xx

If your desire is to have the actual ceremony while on vacation, what is your backup plan if the ship does not make the port? You cannot just switch to a different port in another country; are you going to be OK with coming back unmarried?

If that answer is no, then you should consider switching to one of the lines where the captain can actually marry you onboard. At least that way you will return married, even if the time and location turn out to be different than what you originally planned.

JJst adked CCL weddings team the same question and they'll rearrange for the next port.

That's the thing- do we take a chance & do it ourselves or do it through CCL...? CCLs photos are $500 to $3000 on top of the $3500 for wedding and licence. $6500 is a LOT for 15 mins and Photos !

They may say that, but they don't plan weddings in your other three ports, so ask them specifically for your itinerary, and just exactly how and where they arrange for services in a port where they don't normally do weddings.

Also ask for specific details on the paperwork required for your wedding license (they say they assist, but you are responsible for obtaining the license). So ask them what exactly you will need to do to get a license and what exactly you will need to do if you cannot use that license because the ship does not dock.

Only you can decide if you feel more comfortable going with a shoreside wedding planning company or going through the cruiseline. Call and ask some local hotels for their packages/coordinators. See if the documents and test requirements are acceptable for you.

There are lots of discussion on the wedding/honeymoon forum about using outside wedding planners vs. the cruise package. From what I see about the Cozumel options, it looks like the same venues that Carnival offers.

Edited by cherylandtk

Regarding the photos: In my case, the resort's fee included two 8x10" photos and then you would have to pay for more. We met so many people at the resort from all over the world and invited 12 of them to the wedding on the beach. We handed everybody a camera or video camera and they took all the pictures and video we needed.

Transfer this idea to a cruise/port - you could have the kids take pictures and then not worry about the ship's photos - and/or just purchase the smallest package they sell (they'll look amazing).

If you're dead-set on doing this on a cruise, then I would use the over-priced ship's wedding package instead of trying to do everything on your own. Good luck.

:')

Regarding the photos: In my case, the resort's fee included two 8x10" photos and then you would have to pay for more. We met so many people at the resort from all over the world and invited 12 of them to the wedding on the beach. We handed everybody a camera or video camera and they took all the pictures and video we needed.

Transfer this idea to a cruise/port - you could have the kids take pictures and then not worry about the ship's photos - and/or just purchase the smallest package they sell (they'll look amazing).

If you're dead-set on doing this on a cruise, then I would use the over-priced ship's wedding package instead of trying to do everything on your own. Good luck.

Thanks. Yes they are overpriced. It's crazy expensive. Our kids aren't old enough or conscientious enough to do this!!

October is still hurricane season.

We were scheduled to do a Western Caribbean cruise in October one year. Hurricane Paula changed our cruise to an Eastern Caribbean cruise. It didn't bother us but others were upset as we missed Cozumel, Grand Cayman, etc.

If I were you -- get married at home and then have a renewal of vows on board the ship.

OP; from reading TripAdvisor reviews about destination weddings in Mexico; it sounds like a logistical nightmare. I'm relatively certain I've seen people say that to actually get married in Mexico you have to arrive a few days early and have blood tests done. Check with carnival on whether or not actually getting married on a cruise stop in Cozumel is possible.

But yes, if carnival has a work around to get you legally married there, think that would def be worth the money to have those arrangements made. Short of just doing as others suggested and either getting married on the ship or back home ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a Marriage Commissioner, I'd like to offer a bit of advice: have the happy couple get legally married before they take the trip, then have a symbolic ceremony on the ship or wherever you wish. You don't have to have an ordained or certified person perform the ceremony, it can be a family member or a friend. They (or you) can write their own ceremony and make it personal and meaningful. They also won't have to worry about the local laws re: blood tests, length of time spent in the country, etc.

You could check with the photo company on the ship and tell them what you'd like, perhaps purchasing a photo package to cover the pictures they'd like to take home with them at the end of the cruise.

Hope this helps.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Edited by ger_77

Argh. Totally panicking now. When I spoke with Carnival yesterday they said that if we missed Cozumel they'd make other arrangements. I'd really like a destination wedding. However my fiancé has a prosthetic leg (Royal Marine) and so sand isn't his friend! We don't like the thought of having two weddings. I don't believe in renewals etc so having a registry wedding beforehand is not for me at all. We are only taking our kids with us too.

CCL didnt say there would be any issue with length of time etc.

They said no problems at all??

I am totally panicking about hurricanes now too. Oh blimey

Edited by Whitedwarf
Unknown emojis used

The problem is that at this point you need 2 services since you will only be in Cozumel for a few hours. 1. You need someone to arrange the ceremony for you - sure there are tons of venues and people who can do that in a variety of budget levels.

2. You need someone to handle the legalities involved in getting you a marriage license. This is the part that I think many people do themselves because they are there for a few days ahead on a land trip.

What I would suggest you do is contact some resorts/wedding planners on the island and ask for a quote for both of those services and you can compare to carnival's price. That will be the only way to know if carnival's price is 'worth it'.

That being said, with everything you've mentioned; I truly believe your best bet would be to either get married on the ship or in the embarkation port before you leave. Will be able to have time beforehand to check in and make sure everything is set up correctly and no worries about missing the port.

As far as being against two weddings. All the first one would need to be is you and fiancé walking into courthouse and getting your license and saying I do. At some point you'll have to accept that booking a 'wedding' cruise 4 months ahead and then asking about logistics and costs was putting the cart before the horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

If you want a destination wedding, going by cruise ship is NOT the way to go.

Last year or the year before, a bride missed her wedding as she didn't want to fly to the island chosen. Guess what? Tender port - which was skipped due to unsafe conditions. Everyone else, including the groom, had flown there a few days earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I still recommend a resort wedding - skip the cruise idea. Resorts have great wedding packages and the entire thing will cost a lot less than the cruise and its wedding package.

Pick your favorite place (doesn't have to be Mexico) and find a resort. SO much easier and less expensive.

I'm sorry, but what you want to do is impossible to do while on a cruise and only have a day in Cancun.

To marry legally in Mexico, you will have to be there for 3 business days prior to your wedding. So you cannot do a legal marriage in Mexico on a stop on a cruise. It is quite impossible. You will have to have blood tests for venereal disease, RH factor, blood type and HIV and in some states in Mexico a chest X-ray for TB is required. All of these medical tests must be done in Mexico which is why you will have to be there for at least 3 business days prior to your ceremony in order to allow enough time to get the results of the tests back and fill out a lot of paperwork which costs $800 - 900 plus there is a waiting period after filling out the paperwork. Medical tests from outside of Mexico are unacceptable.

If either of you were ever married before, your divorce must be final for at least one year. In addition, if you are widowed, then you must provide a copy of your deceased spouse's death certificate. The documented proof for this must be legalized at the Mexican consulate in the UK prior to arrival in Mexico and then the documents must be translated into Spanish. You will need to bring original and certified copies of these documents. Give the copies to the people in Mexico. Here are all the documents you will need to marry in Mexico and all of these must be certified by your local Mexican embassy and then translated to Spanish before you use them in Mexico:

Birth Certificate

Divorce Certificate (if applicable)

Death Certificate (if applicable)

Tourist Permit

Affadavit of Single Marital status

Only civil marriage is recognized as legal in Mexico.

Instead, I would suggest you consider getting married at a Beaches Resort which has things for your whole family and you will receive a free wedding ceremony:

http://www.beaches.com/weddingmoons/

My suggestion was not to have two "weddings" - it was to go to your Registry, sign the documents, say I do, and you're legally married in your country. The couples who come to me for their legal marriage use the date on which they have their symbolic ceremony as their anniversary; in some cases it's a few days, others have a few weeks between the time I see them and they have their destination ceremony. Nobody but the couple, their official witnesses and me know the actual date the legal marriage took place.

I think it's too risky trying to have a destination wedding at a port you are hoping the ship will be stopping at, which can be changed in a heartbeat due to weather factors. As someone else suggested, perhaps you should switch to Princess cruise line, as their captains are able to perform weddings. You could get married on the ship, rather than your fiancee having to deal with walking in the sand on his prosthetic leg.

Good luck to you.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The other thing about a wedding at an all inclusive resort is that they have locations which are next to the beach but on solid ground such as a wooden pier or a patio type area, so you are essentially on the beach, but not in the sand.

This is typical:

Destination_Weddings_v1.jpg

or a location like this:

533941_10151081079847583_1796314068_n1.jpg

So, given that you have already booked a cruise, what I would suggest you do is select an all-inclusive resort that will give you your wedding and stay there 3 nights prior to your cruise and then go on the cruise as your honeymoon. I think Jamaica would be a good option. Here are the requirements for marriage there:

Visitors can be married 24 hours after arriving in Jamaica, providing prior application has been made for a marriage license to the Ministry of Justice. The application must be submitted to:

Permanent Secretary

Ministry of Justice

NCB Towers

2 Kensington Crescent

Kingston 5

JAMAICA

Unlike many countries, Jamaica does not require a blood test before getting married. However, the following documentation is required:

• Proof of citizenship - certified copy of birth certificate, which includes father’s name.
  • Parent’s written consent if under 18 years of age.
  • Proof of divorce if applicable (original certificate of divorce).
  • Certified copy of death certificate for widow or widower.

There are 2 beaches resorts on Jamaica. Negril is probably the most scenic of the two. This is the wedding site:

slide-77.jpg

I also looked at Beaches in Ocho Rios Jamaica and I'm pretty certain this would be the wedding site - at the end of a pier:

slide-56.jpg

So two great options for where to get actually married in the Caribbean instead of just doing a vow renewal and your wedding would be included for free with the exception of the photographer or any upgrades you might want beyond what is provided for free. So, you would fly into Miami and then to Jamaica and then stay at the resort 3+nights and fly back to Miami and then to Orlando to board your ship.

Another option you might consider instead is to hold your wedding at Disneyworld:

https://www.disneyweddings.com/weddings/locations/

Here are the requirements for marrying in Florida which are much less complex than the requirements in Mexico:

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-get-married-in-florida-2300756

If you are looking for something low cost near Cocoa Beach, here is a very inexpensive wedding option:

http://www.beachweddingscocoabeach.com/packages.html

I"m not really understanding. You want a "destination" wedding, but not on the overpriced cruise ship. Your husband can't tolerate sand, but you want a beach wedding. All are advising against cruising to the destination due to the possibility of missing the port. All are also advising against actually marrying in a foreign country.

You are against every suggestion. Perhaps you should just do whatever you want regardless of the experiences and advice of others rather than explaining WHY you'll do whatever you want regardless of the experiences and advice of others.

This type of thread bugs the **&*&% out of me.

Don't answer then. Save your patience and stay away from the thread. Simple. Job done.

I'm sorry, but what you want to do is impossible to do while on a cruise and only have a day in Cancun.

To marry legally in Mexico, you will have to be there for 3 business days prior to your wedding. So you cannot do a legal marriage in Mexico on a stop on a cruise. It is quite impossible. You will have to have blood tests for venereal disease, RH factor, blood type and HIV and in some states in Mexico a chest X-ray for TB is required. All of these medical tests must be done in Mexico which is why you will have to be there for at least 3 business days prior to your ceremony in order to allow enough time to get the results of the tests back and fill out a lot of paperwork which costs $800 - 900 plus there is a waiting period after filling out the paperwork. Medical tests from outside of Mexico are unacceptable.

If either of you were ever married before, your divorce must be final for at least one year. In addition, if you are widowed, then you must provide a copy of your deceased spouse's death certificate. The documented proof for this must be legalized at the Mexican consulate in the UK prior to arrival in Mexico and then the documents must be translated into Spanish. You will need to bring original and certified copies of these documents. Give the copies to the people in Mexico. Here are all the documents you will need to marry in Mexico and all of these must be certified by your local Mexican embassy and then translated to Spanish before you use them in Mexico:

Birth Certificate

Divorce Certificate (if applicable)

Death Certificate (if applicable)

Tourist Permit

Affadavit of Single Marital status

Only civil marriage is recognized as legal in Mexico.

Instead, I would suggest you consider getting married at a Beaches Resort which has things for your whole family and you will receive a free wedding ceremony:

http://www.beaches.com/weddingmoons/

Thanks and apologies. It's Cozumel rather than Cancun. CCL say there are no issues. We COULD marry on board but with only being four of us we thought it'd be nice to marry at port. We looked at Island Breeze. I think given the risk of hurricanes we might have to go for on board. :)

The other thing about a wedding at an all inclusive resort is that they have locations which are next to the beach but on solid ground such as a wooden pier or a patio type area, so you are essentially on the beach, but not in the sand.

This is typical:

Destination_Weddings_v1.jpg

or a location like this:

533941_10151081079847583_1796314068_n1.jpg

So, given that you have already booked a cruise, what I would suggest you do is select an all-inclusive resort that will give you your wedding and stay there 3 nights prior to your cruise and then go on the cruise as your honeymoon. I think Jamaica would be a good option. Here are the requirements for marriage there:

Visitors can be married 24 hours after arriving in Jamaica, providing prior application has been made for a marriage license to the Ministry of Justice. The application must be submitted to:

Permanent Secretary

Ministry of Justice

NCB Towers

2 Kensington Crescent

Kingston 5

JAMAICA

Unlike many countries, Jamaica does not require a blood test before getting married. However, the following documentation is required:

• Proof of citizenship - certified copy of birth certificate, which includes father’s name.
  • Parent’s written consent if under 18 years of age.
  • Proof of divorce if applicable (original certificate of divorce).
  • Certified copy of death certificate for widow or widower.

There are 2 beaches resorts on Jamaica. Negril is probably the most scenic of the two. This is the wedding site:

slide-77.jpg

I also looked at Beaches in Ocho Rios Jamaica and I'm pretty certain this would be the wedding site - at the end of a pier:

slide-56.jpg

So two great options for where to get actually married in the Caribbean instead of just doing a vow renewal and your wedding would be included for free with the exception of the photographer or any upgrades you might want beyond what is provided for free. So, you would fly into Miami and then to Jamaica and then stay at the resort 3+nights and fly back to Miami and then to Orlando to board your ship.

Another option you might consider instead is to hold your wedding at Disneyworld:

https://www.disneyweddings.com/weddings/locations/

Here are the requirements for marrying in Florida which are much less complex than the requirements in Mexico:

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-get-married-in-florida-2300756

If you are looking for something low cost near Cocoa Beach, here is a very inexpensive wedding option:

http://www.beachweddingscocoabeach.com/packages.html

Many thanks for this amazing reply. We are travelling from U.K. and having a pre stay at Orlando so that's possibly something we've could consider. I'm going to ring CCL today. The Island Breeze at Cozumel does have a no sand option I believe. He CAN walk on sand it's just that it's tricky and I wouldn't want him to be uncomfortable. I was hoping someone might have experience of marrying there to give advice really. But this is amazingly helpful :*