Oasis of the Seas Incident

Don't have any info, but just to add that years ago the room two doors from us had 24 hour security. Don't recall if it was locked. Learned (during dinner with senior officer) that passenger in the cabin had been in an altercation with another passenger. One passenger was in the brig, the other confined to the cabin. It was towards the end of the cruise, with no port stops (to send folks off the ship) and just a sea day till back in US.

M

Thanks you for update. I would guess that someone passed away in cabin under suspicious circumstances and that is why it is padlocked until authorities can see it. This is just my opinion.

Crime scene came to mind.

I seem to recall that the Oasis has a morgue.... I hope it wasn't needed.

Yes, Oasis does. Unfortunately it does happen. This from 5 yrs ago: Close to 200 passengers die aboard cruise ship's each year. The vast majority(99.9%) of cruise ship deaths is of natural causes. Cruise ships are required to carry body bags, and maintain a small morgue. This morgue is not merely additional space in a ship kitchen's freezer area, but a separate area for storing the bodies of deceased passengers. Most ships dedicate more space than needed, featuring individual refrigerated units for six to ten bodies.

This is sad to hear that someone passed on the Oasis. Condolences to those affected. This could possibly be the reason for the emergency, or it could have been something completely different. I hope that it wasn't anything untoward

We are currently on Oasis, waiting to depart. We've been wondering what happened on deck 7. Security sat outside cabin 7268 overnight on day 3. Security left the door cracked as they were waiting outside. On the day we were in St. Martin the door to that cabin was open and it looked empty.

Not sure what happened on deck 8, but we heard several medical calls on this cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. If it were a death due to natural causes, have no idea why it would be covered by any media, let alone national or international media. Can't even count the deaths we have experienced on our cruises yet no reason for it to be reported. And really have no interest in it. People live. People die. Sometimes that happens on a cruise ship.

I just got home from the Oasis and was on the 8th floor, about 8 doors down from the door that was padlocked. I took a picture of it because at the time I found it to be extremely odd. I don't know exactly what happened, but wanted to add facts that have not been mentioned here to add to the sleuthing.

-We stayed on the Starboard side, Deck 8 aft, with views of the Boardwalk. 8 doors down from the incident cabin. Not sharing the cabin number only because I'm not sure I'm allowed to.

-I believe it was Thursday we observed Security speaking to a woman in the hallway near the incidenct cabin where she was telling them that a guy (I think in her cabin) was acting odd because of the medication he takes and that he was going to be ok.

-A few days earlier we observed Security sitting with a chair in front of a door on deck 14 for 2+ days. When we asked our Stateroom attendant about it, he said that's usually indicative of a domestic situation rather than say, quarantine.

-On Friday, a sea day, we were at the pool in the afternoon and heard an "alpha alpha alpha" call for deck 8, but not for the same room that had the padlock. The call was for 2 doors down. We were not in the hallway when it was evidently locked down.

-Later that afternoon when we came back from the pool (after the alpha call) we observed four Security team members putting the padlock on the room. After that, we saw a crew member with a "Front Desk Manager" tag checking out the hallway and the room (from the outside).

-Things were mostly quiet the rest of the trip. That cabin and the few surrounding it did not have any coming and going activity. Previously, I had seen individuals - I thought I had seen younger folks (early 20s?)

-I asked our steward if he knew what was up with the padlock and the alpha call, but he was coy. So kudos to him for privacy protection.

-This AM when bills were left with each room, there was a "Medical Services bill" left on the door when I left for the final breakfast, and it was gone when I returned to clean out my cabin. This suggests the occupant of the cabin was traveling in a party.

-On the shuttle to Park n Cruise, folks noted an ambulance arrived immediately when we reached Port Canaveral, but I did not see or hear any police or other investigation going into the room. We left for good at approximately 7:00 AM.

I concur with thespeculation that something bad happened in the room that required it to be preserved. My best guess at the time was either a sexual assault or domestic violence incident. In the latter case, I was racking my brain how you would handle the logistics of allocating people to other cabins on a sold out ship after that happens. So, I can certainly see the potential of a death as well, but I did not hear any rumors of that until I read this post.

All our room steward is saying is that he heard it was a medical emergency. However, the room still has a padlock on the door. Which makes a medical emergency seem unusual. And we were not allowed to even go down the hallway during the incident. Nor were people allowed to leave their cabins. Thanks for some of the positive responses. I know many cruisers do live posts. So I thought someone on the ship may have more information.
I would have done the same thing. Ignore the rude jerks. Nothing wrong with asking on this forum. I think you'll probably find out what happened here before receiving an answer from the crew. Almost sounds like a suicide or a murder...something unnatural.

I was racking my brain how you would handle the logistics of allocating people to other cabins on a sold out ship after that happens.

A ship is never completely sold out. A certain number of cabins are left vacant in the event that parties need to be separated or for some other unforeseen emergency (Cabin flooded etc.) where someone has to be moved.

A ship is never completely sold out. A certain number of cabins are left vacant in the event that parties need to be separated or for some other unforeseen emergency (Cabin flooded etc.) where someone has to be moved.
If they don't sell a few cabins because of the possibility of some exceptional event , then the ship is sold out .

I have been told there are cabins which cruisers may be moved to that are otherwise used by staff members . These cabins are seen as a bonus which may be taken away if needed . The staff member will then go back to sharing another cabin .

I just got home from the Oasis and was on the 8th floor, about 8 doors down from the door that was padlocked. I took a picture of it because at the time I found it to be extremely odd. I don't know exactly what happened, but wanted to add facts that have not been mentioned here to add to the sleuthing.

-We stayed on the Starboard side, Deck 8 aft, with views of the Boardwalk. 8 doors down from the incident cabin. Not sharing the cabin number only because I'm not sure I'm allowed to.

-I believe it was Thursday we observed Security speaking to a woman in the hallway near the incidenct cabin where she was telling them that a guy (I think in her cabin) was acting odd because of the medication he takes and that he was going to be ok.

-A few days earlier we observed Security sitting with a chair in front of a door on deck 14 for 2+ days. When we asked our Stateroom attendant about it, he said that's usually indicative of a domestic situation rather than say, quarantine.

-On Friday, a sea day, we were at the pool in the afternoon and heard an "alpha alpha alpha" call for deck 8, but not for the same room that had the padlock. The call was for 2 doors down. We were not in the hallway when it was evidently locked down.

-Later that afternoon when we came back from the pool (after the alpha call) we observed four Security team members putting the padlock on the room. After that, we saw a crew member with a "Front Desk Manager" tag checking out the hallway and the room (from the outside).

-Things were mostly quiet the rest of the trip. That cabin and the few surrounding it did not have any coming and going activity. Previously, I had seen individuals - I thought I had seen younger folks (early 20s?)

-I asked our steward if he knew what was up with the padlock and the alpha call, but he was coy. So kudos to him for privacy protection.

-This AM when bills were left with each room, there was a "Medical Services bill" left on the door when I left for the final breakfast, and it was gone when I returned to clean out my cabin. This suggests the occupant of the cabin was traveling in a party.

-On the shuttle to Park n Cruise, folks noted an ambulance arrived immediately when we reached Port Canaveral, but I did not see or hear any police or other investigation going into the room. We left for good at approximately 7:00 AM.

I concur with thespeculation that something bad happened in the room that required it to be preserved. My best guess at the time was either a sexual assault or domestic violence incident. In the latter case, I was racking my brain how you would handle the logistics of allocating people to other cabins on a sold out ship after that happens. So, I can certainly see the potential of a death as well, but I did not hear any rumors of that until I read this post.

Thanks for the info.

I would have done the same thing. Ignore the rude jerks. Nothing wrong with asking on this forum. I think you'll probably find out what happened here before receiving an answer from the crew. Almost sounds like a suicide or a murder...something unnatural.

Thats what i thought.