Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

3 hours ago, zelker said:

JeriGail is 100% correct ... I found this on Viking's website (after I asked here, of course 😉). 

Thanks, ladies!

image.png.b9db8c867724d74caf502d1be81f1841.png

It is indeed 1/4 mile around.   We always count 4 laps around for a mile.  12 for 3 miles.  It gets interesting if the seas are up a bit !!   Once cruise we ran into the Captain doing laps (well not literally ran into 🙂  ).

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, deec said:

As I remember it is not marked as far as .25/.5 etc....there is a sign somewhere about how many laps /mile if JeriGail says 1/4 per lap I believe it.  Usually one way traffic/ walkers and runners sharing same space.

Runners???  Surely they don't allow runners???

10 minutes ago, zelker said:

Runners???  Surely they don't allow runners???

Yes, some people run.  It's very wide in the straightaways, but narrows at the bow and stern.  Most runners I saw slowed to a fast walk in those areas.  There may have been mirrors on the bulkhead so you could see around the corner. 

• Like 1

There are also people who walk on the upper deck…some use the stairs to increase their cardio. Unless I am mistaken, it takes 12 circuits up there to make a mile….if that’s wrong, no worries as there is a sign that will tell you the correct information. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, zelker said:

Two coffee questions -

• Is French Press coffee available?
  • Are decaf pods available for the stateroom Nespresso-type machine?

Don't know about French Press Coffee.

BUT - in the rooms (except V1, V2) there is a Nespresso Machine and they supply pods both caf and decaf.   The Decaf was #10 so nice and strong!  The caf was only #4, so we always bring plenty of our own caf pods.  They will keep filling them up for you as you use them.

Do a search on Viking forums and there have been many posts AND pictures of the Nespresso coffee.

• Thanks 2

I have only encountered French Press coffee on one cruiseline -- Crystal, and that is only in their Bistro.  Then again, I haven't always done a strong search on each cruise and cruiseline if their regular espresso and espresso-based drinks are good (and from a real espresso machine, not the automatic kind).

And FWIW, Crystal has both the real espresso machines and baristas, plus FP.

17 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I have only encountered French Press coffee on one cruiseline -- Crystal, and that is only in their Bistro.  Then again, I haven't always done a strong search on each cruise and cruiseline if their regular espresso and espresso-based drinks are good (and from a real espresso machine, not the automatic kind).

Have never sailed on Crystal but Seabourn has baristas in Seabourn Square (and you can get FP coffee pretty much everywhere on their ships).  We also get FP coffee in the Pinnacle Grill on Holland America. 

IMO the living room on Viking has the best coffee on the ship but I am pretty sure it is not french press.  We bring our own insulated mugs so can take the coffee to another venue for breakfast.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, deec said:

IMO the living room on Viking has the best coffee on the ship but I am pretty sure it is not french press.  We bring our own insulated mugs so can take the coffee to another venue for breakfast.

Dee - now THAT's a great idea!  Insulated cups - we'll have to remember that one.  Thanks!

Do they offer “fancy” coffees in the living room?  For instance, when my wife goes to Starbucks, she gets a nonfat caramel macchiato. Trying to get a sense whether anything remotely comparable might be available. 

At home, she does the cinnamon dolce Keurig pods. Doesn’t look like Nespresso offers that one. 🙁

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

NCL had FP coffee in their dedicated restaurant for Suite passengers and in their French Restaurant for everyone.  Of course this was precovid so that could be different now. 

1 hour ago, Eggtuary said:

Do they offer “fancy” coffees in the living room?  For instance, when my wife goes to Starbucks, she gets a nonfat caramel macchiato. Trying to get a sense whether anything remotely comparable might be available. 

At home, she does the cinnamon dolce Keurig pods. Doesn’t look like Nespresso offers that one. 🙁

They offer many different coffees, perhaps not as many as Starbucks. If you do a search of this board, I think some of the coffees are included in the menu for The Living Room. I posted pictures of each page back in July during our Iceland cruise. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zelker said:

Have never sailed on Crystal but Seabourn has baristas in Seabourn Square (and you can get FP coffee pretty much everywhere on their ships).  We also get FP coffee in the Pinnacle Grill on Holland America. 

Zelker 

I am not trying to be negative, but I sincerely think you need to recognize that Viking is not Seabourn or their competitors. While luxurious by my standards, I hate when I see Seabourn and Crystal customers disappointed when they don’t have a butler, included caviar, fresh flowers, etc.  Of course the price point is significantly less so as my Momma always said, you get what you pay for.  

• Like 3

I never use the coffee in the stateroom because it's really strong (for me, anyway).  I also don't own a pod coffee maker (just not interested).  So I'm clueless:   Are all pods the same in size/shape, for use in all types of pod coffee makers?  In other words, if I WANTED to use the machine in my stateroom, could I bring some pods from home or would I have to get some for the Neopresso machine?  It's no big deal to walk to the living room, or order room service, but it might be nice to have a cup of coffee in the room right after I get up one day. 

Edited by roothy123

39 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Zelker 

I am not trying to be negative, but I sincerely think you need to recognize that Viking is not Seabourn or their competitors. While luxurious by my standards, I hate when I see Seabourn and Crystal customers disappointed when they don’t have a butler, included caviar, fresh flowers, etc.  Of course the price point is significantly less so as my Momma always said, you get what you pay for.  

And I sincerely think you’re reading WAY too much into it.  I asked the question if French press coffee was available, nothing about butlers or caviar or luxury vs whatever.  Someone else brought up Crystal, then Regent, then NCL ... ALL regarding availability of FP coffee on other lines and not responding to my post.

We’re quite excited to finally try Viking and hope it’s another option for us.  We’re not comparing it to any other line we’ve sailed.  And BTW, we mostly sail Holland America. 

Yikes, hope most people we meet onboard aren’t this defensive.

Edited by zelker

30 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

I never use the coffee in the stateroom because it's really strong (for me, anyway).  I also don't own a pod coffee maker (just not interested).  So I'm clueless:   Are all pods the same in size/shape, for use in all types of pod coffee makers?  In other words, if I WANTED to use the machine in my stateroom, could I bring some pods from home or would I have to get some for the Neopresso machine?  It's no big deal to walk to the living room, or order room service, but it might be nice to have a cup of coffee in the room right after I get up one day. 

All pods and makers are not the same.  These are just Nespresso coffee makers and take the Nespresso pods.  (The "original" pods, not the newer "Virtuo" pods).  We have a Nespresso maker at home, but you could just get a sleeve and bring them.  I think there's 10 pods per sleeve.  You can check Nespresso's web site.  Again, do a search and you'll find some pictures of the makers and the pods in the rooms.   If you like weaker coffee you'll enjoy the #4 caff. pods they provide (higher number is stronger).   We like strong coffee so we like #10's.

• Thanks 1

we are not fancy coffee drinkers BUT I do know some of the morning bartenders in the livingroom do some GREAT doodle pictures in other people's coffee!!!  I will take my Americana (learned to ask for that) and be off !!!  or maybe I will sit and chat trying to avoid the call of those awesome pastries!!!  Not as great as the Explorer's Lounge but always a friendly person to chat with....Love Viking passengers!  Can't wait to be back onboard.

• Like 4

Interesting question, Eggtuary. I never thought to ask for a decaf mocha or other flavored coffee while onboard. But now that you’ve brought it up, I’m thinking a mocha would be lovely after a cold day trekking around. (Our cruise is in January.) I’ll be curious to hear if Viking offers suchlike. 

I’ll bet they offer some lovely coffee-based after-dinner drinks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zelker said:

And I sincerely think you’re reading WAY too much into it.  I asked the question if French press coffee was available, nothing about butlers or caviar or luxury vs whatever.  Someone else brought up Crystal, then Regent, then NCL ... ALL regarding availability of FP coffee on other lines and not responding to my post.

We’re quite excited to finally try Viking and hope it’s another option for us.  We’re not comparing it to any other line we’ve sailed.  And BTW, we mostly sail Holland America. 

Yikes, hope most people we meet onboard aren’t this defensive.

Not being defensive at all. Just an observation based on your posts here and a few other places. I have found that so often our experiences end up being based on the expectations we set before hand.  I just was trying to suggest that if your expectations were based on the ultra luxe lines that perhaps you would be disappointed.  And I sincerely hate it when a Viking newbie is disappointed. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

I understood exactly what you were asking, so ignore the negative posters.  You asked if they offer fancy coffees in the Living Room and gave an example of the type of coffee that your wife might order at Starbucks.  I found this thread on CC about the coffee on Viking.  It talks about the great espresso and lattes served in The Living Room and has a photo of the "do it yourself" Espresso machine in the World Café.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the info, JeriGail!  

Reading through that thread makes me think we should start experimenting with flavored syrups to potentially take with us. As long as we can get a decent cup of coffee/espresso onboard to use as the base, then maybe we can doctor it up. 😀 

Thanks again!