Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

You live and learn on CC.  I just kept thinking don't recall ever having anything called "French Press" coffee anywhere, even in France.   Then I looked it up - and of course its just coffee made with coffee grounds in a Cafetiere - divided by a common language again - even if French played a part.

Edited by Mrs Miggins

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

You live and learn on CC.  I just kept thinking don't recall ever having anything called "French Press" coffee anywhere, even in France.   Then I looked it up - and of course its just coffee made with coffee grounds in a Cafetiere - divided by a common language again - even if French played a part.

it  is the new way to receive  coffee in some of  the fancy restaurants these days. You get a small French  Press pot, you push the plunger and wait the # of minutes for it to finish brewing.  I think it is just a marketing thing.  

I am Danish and coffee is m life  blood.  Have my own French press , pour over pot , Italian   coffee pot  for stove, and regular drip  coffee pot. I also love cold brew method, and drink it hot, it is liquid gold!

On Viking,  coffee is espresso based at Viking Bar, Variety of coffee mixed drink with or without alcohol . 

I like my coffee black and hot. I do  have a cappuccino but only before 10 am as the Italians do. A double espresso is also a great pick me up in afternoon.

I have the coffee machine taken out of my stateroom . Gives me more room with an extra self. 

Edited by Azulann

In the UK we have used Cafetiere's for decades especially since the 1970's .If I want a coffee at the hairdressers that's how its served.  In fact I have just come back from the leisure club and enjoyed a cafetière with friends.  They were sold in stores since in the 1930's.  It would not be considered particularly up market here.

My point really was that I have never heard the expression "French Press" before.  You live and learn.

• Like 3

I'm not fond of the in-cabin coffee makers.  Just like the ones in hotel rooms, they make coffee that always tastes like plastic to me.  I'd much rather head somewhere for a cappucino or a latte.  And they do have many different flavored syrups so no need to bring your own.

Unless--I've recently been advised to really watch my sugar intake as my blood sugar is starting to do weird things--do they have sugar-free flavored syrups?  Or do I need to bring my own if I want a flavored latte?

• Like 2

From Coffee to Storage

First I would like to thank you all for so many helpful tips!  I have spent most of my free time over the past few weeks reading 59 pages of great info.

We are taking our first VO cruise in January.  We are planning on using luggage direct to ship a large suitcase.  Can anyone tell me if there is sufficient room under the bed to stash the suitcase-or any other hints on where we can store it for our 30 day cruise.

Thanks-Kim

If it won't fit under the bed, open it up and slide it under with the two halves fitting under.

One other thought....if you find storage space lacking, put your rarely used stuff in the open bag and use it like a "drawer" under the bed.  Pull it out when you need that jacket, or special shoes, or the other items that you'll use maybe half a dozen times in 30 days.  Then push it back under and you're good to go.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kimgeo said:

From Coffee to Storage

First I would like to thank you all for so many helpful tips!  I have spent most of my free time over the past few weeks reading 59 pages of great info.

We are taking our first VO cruise in January.  We are planning on using luggage direct to ship a large suitcase.  Can anyone tell me if there is sufficient room under the bed to stash the suitcase-or any other hints on where we can store it for our 30 day cruise.

Thanks-Kim

Per 2021/22 WC board:

@Jazmyn49 #1121 "We have been on 2 World Cruises and find there is plenty of room under the bed.  We do put our carry on inside a bigger suitcase but that's just for our convenience.  Other posts have given dimensions."

@Redwarrior68 #1123 "From the floor to the bottom of the king bed is 11 3/4 inches.  We put 4 large and 2 medium size suitcases under the bed."

• Like 5

I also put souvenir  purchases and "travel clothes" in the under bed storage!  On the WC the suitcase held extra toiletries...toothpaste, sun screen, vitamins...also "out of season" jackets...I would love to have those storage problems again...waiting for a windfall from the stock market or the lottery so we can do another incredible WC!!!

• Like 5

I seldom need more space.  But if I do, I use the shelf in the closet for clothing, put stuff I seldom need under the bed in my suitcase, and/or move the coffee maker to make extra room.  And I guess if those things aren't enough, I would put things in the drawers in the bathroom, or ask for more hangers so I could hang up clothes I would normally put in a drawer.   

37 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

And I guess if those things aren't enough, I would put things in the drawers in the bathroom, or ask for more hangers so I could hang up clothes I would normally put in a drawer.   

Yeah, the bathroom has an impressive amount of storage. I was quite surprised.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Yeah, the bathroom has an impressive amount of storage. I was quite surprised.

Don’t forget the tiny bedside table drawers - the are perfect for holding rolled up socks!  And I use the open spaces below it for my underwear. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 12:48 PM, Mrs Miggins said:

In the UK we have used Cafetiere's for decades especially since the 1970's .If I want a coffee at the hairdressers that's how its served.  In fact I have just come back from the leisure club and enjoyed a cafetière with friends.  They were sold in stores since in the 1930's.  It would not be considered particularly up market here.

My point really was that I have never heard the expression "French Press" before.  You live and learn.

I also was unaware that a French Press is a cafetiere, for us a cafetiere was what we used when we couldn't be bothered to make 'proper coffee' in a percolator. It was one up from the jar of instant at work. 

Now rarely seen now most places have a hissing monster machine. 

It's finding a decent mug of tea that is my challenge. I now travel with a travel kettle, a large tin mug and an assortment of tea bags. Not brilliant but often better than trying to brew up in a small pot of hot water. 

41 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

It's finding a decent mug of tea that is my challenge. I now travel with a travel kettle, a large tin mug and an assortment of tea bags. Not brilliant but often better than trying to brew up in a small pot of hot water. 

What kind of travel kettle do you have, and can it be taken on a cruise ship? I also travel with my tea but find getting boiled water almost impossible. 

58 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

I now travel with a travel kettle, a large tin mug and an assortment of tea bags. 

17 minutes ago, LinnieRed said:

What kind of travel kettle do you have, and can it be taken on a cruise ship? I also travel with my tea but find getting boiled water almost impossible. 

Per Viking's prohibited items list (and likely all cruise lines):

• Any electrical device that produces heat, such as: Hot plates or heating kettles

We've had luck requesting one from our stateroom attendant on different lines but since this will be our first time on Viking, I don't know if that's something they normally have available per request.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LinnieRed said:

No idea of the make, its a one mug size I got from Argos, the coffee machines on Viking will provide nearly boiling water, don't put the pod in, then run it a few times to rinse. The water will have a hint of coffee but will at least be near boiling. There are rumours some kettles are available on board. 

I'm not sure if travel kettles are allowed on ships, as they have a heating element. Hopefully somebody will know the answer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zelker said:

Per Viking's prohibited items list (and likely all cruise lines):

• Any electrical device that produces heat, such as: Hot plates or heating kettles

We've had luck requesting one from our stateroom attendant on different lines but since this will be our first time on Viking, I don't know if that's something they normally have available per request.

Thanks, zelker,  that answers that question. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

I also was unaware that a French Press is a cafetiere, for us a cafetiere was what we used when we couldn't be bothered to make 'proper coffee' in a percolator. It was one up from the jar of instant at work. 

Now rarely seen now most places have a hissing monster machine. 

We found the LR Bar made a splendid cuppa. They kept a stash of our favourite English breakfast, as they had more than 1 type on the Viking Sun. Heated the water to boiling with steam, then poured over the tea bag. Always the best tea we found on the ship. Always provided a wee splash of milk rather than cream, without having to ask.

We also carry our own mugs and no issues making tea in them. Even when the waiters came around they would take our mugs back to the bar for a refill.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We found the LR Bar made a splendid cuppa. They kept a stash of our favourite English breakfast, as they had more than 1 type on the Viking Sun. Heated the water to boiling with steam, then poured over the tea bag. Always the best tea we found on the ship. Always provided a wee splash of milk rather than cream, without having to ask.

We also carry our own mugs and no issues making tea in them. Even when the waiters came around they would take our mugs back to the bar for a refill.

Excellent news, but can they make 'builders' tea? 😁

2 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Excellent news, but can they make 'builders' tea? 😁

You bet, as that's basically what I drink most of the time. Strong tea normally brewed in the mug.😁 Around the house, we rarely break out the tea pot and loose leaf tea.

30 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

You bet, as that's basically what I drink most of the time. Strong tea normally brewed in the mug.😁 Around the house, we rarely break out the tea pot and loose leaf tea.

Sorted then 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinnieRed said:

Thanks to you both. I will attempt to get a kettle from our room steward And as a last resort will do a thorough flush of the pod system. In my opinion, nothing worse than tea/coffee 😂

On the Viking "seacation" cruises around the UK, the cabin stewards brought a kettle in for those who wanted one.

• Like 1