Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

5 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I know that.  Just noting that it's a bit of a "hidden asset", as there is no mention online, both on the regular website and MVJ.

One of the benefits of being on social media….may help offset all the downsides! 😂

37 minutes ago, PKNC said:

Can you use Wi-Fi data on your cell phone on the ship to make local and international calls, without being charged roaming rates?

You can if you have an app that lets you made calls over Wi Fi.  Search for "android wifi calling app" or "iphone wifi calling app" to find your options.  These apps will often also let you text over Wi Fi too.

50 minutes ago, PKNC said:

Can you use Wi-Fi data on your cell phone on the ship to make local and international calls, without being charged roaming rates?

It's for just this sort of situation that I find it helpful to have a free Google Voice account.  It gives me a phone # by which I can make/receive phone calls, voice mail or SMS messages.  Helpful when out of range of cell towers or when I don't wish to incur the expense.

1 hour ago, PKNC said:

If you are lucky enough to have T-Mobile you can make calls and use data for free all over Europe with or without WiFi. If you have an iPhone you can always FaceTime and use audio only. You can now do that to android phones as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PKNC said:

2 hours ago, JeriGail said:

You can if you have an app that lets you made calls over Wi Fi.  Search for "android wifi calling app" or "iphone wifi calling app" to find your options.  These apps will often also let you text over Wi Fi too.

2 hours ago, Squawkman said:

If you have AT&T, WiFi calling is included. Just be sure to turn it on in the MyAT&T app. It may be turned on in iOS settings as well.

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

If you are lucky enough to have T-Mobile you can make calls and use data for free all over Europe with or without WiFi. If you have an iPhone you can always FaceTime and use audio only. You can now do that to android phones as well.

It would be GREAT if we can get guidance on specific cell phone settings for each of the major carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon) to avoid roaming or inadvertent international calling costs during a Viking Ocean voyage.  I know that I've seen some comments on the use of FaceTime, WhatsApp (#409) and FB Messenger as WiFi alternatives, but I'm more concerned at this time about the settings to avoid cellular charges.  I have an iPhone and use Verizon as a carrier.  Since we will be on a world cruise, I anticipate there may be different approaches for those traveling in SE Asia versus the Mediterranean or the Baltic areas.  With all of the experienced cruisers here on the CC board, I'm sure that there is lots of accumulated knowledge to be shared.  I appreciate others' recommendations and guidance.

I have T mobile for seniors and calling is NOT free with our plan but texting and data are unlimited.  I have free calling in Canada and Mexico.  tmobile was helpful on the phone  and confrmed what the web site indicated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deec said:

I have T mobile for seniors and calling is NOT free with our plan but texting and data are unlimited.  I have free calling in Canada and Mexico.  tmobile was helpful on the phone  and confrmed what the web site indicated.

Ditto. And if you have an iPhone, you don’t need an app for Wi-fi calling. You can turn it on in your settings under “cellular.”

Edited by LindaS272
Typo

2 hours ago, Squawkman said:

UWDawg - if in doubt, keep your phone in airplane mode. That will prevent inadvertent cell use. Check with Verizon support - iPhone 6 and later support WiFi calling.

This is what we do, too.

We turn off roaming in the settings on our phones when we leave the house.

Then we turn on airplane mode from takeoff until we get on board the ship. We turn it off in order to connect to the ship’s Wi-Fi. Once you’ve done that, you can put your phone back into airplane mode and leave it there. It’ll still use Wi-Fi but no roaming, no cellular data.

You can get Verizon’s Travel Pass plan, which charges you $10/day for each day you use your phone to make calls or use data when you’re OFF the ship’s (or hotel’s) Wi-Fi. We get this when we travel but rarely have to use it. https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-travel/travel-pass/ 

Edited by Twitchly
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

This is what we do, too.

We turn off roaming in the settings on our phones when we leave the house.

Then we turn on airplane mode from takeoff until we get on board the ship. We turn it off in order to connect to the ship’s Wi-Fi. Once you’ve done that, you can put your phone back into airplane mode and leave it there. It’ll still use Wi-Fi but no roaming, no cellular data.

You can get Verizon’s Travel Pass plan, which charges you $10/day for each day you use your phone to make calls or use data when you’re OFF the ship’s (or hotel’s) Wi-Fi. We get this when we travel but rarely have to use it. https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-travel/travel-pass/ 

This sounds like what we should do. 

I’ve heard that using cellular data on the ship gets expensive, though. Do you have to travel a certain distance from the ship before turning on cellular to avoid the phone connecting through the ship?

Also, with this plan, does it only charge the daily fee if you initiate a call or text, or access data?  Or would you incur the daily fee if you get a call or text from an unwanted solicitor?

Sorry if these are really stupid questions…

1 hour ago, Eggtuary said:

I’ve heard that using cellular data on the ship gets expensive, though. Do you have to travel a certain distance from the ship before turning on cellular to avoid the phone connecting through the ship?

Many cruise lines provide a "cellular at sea" signal.  Your carrier would need to have a roaming agreement with the cellular service provider on the ship.  Your home network determines the international roaming rates that you pay.  Cruise ships have to turn off their wireless networks when they're in port and as they're approaching a port, so you don't have to worry about connecting through the ship when in port.  However, I don't know if Viking uses one of these services.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eggtuary said:

This sounds like what we should do. 

Also, with this plan, does it only charge the daily fee if you initiate a call or text, or access data?  Or would you incur the daily fee if you get a call or text from an unwanted solicitor?

Sorry if these are really stupid questions…

If you’re using Verizon’s Travel Pass, then whatever your current data plan is, that’s what you’ll use overseas. For example, we have unlimited data with Verizon. So when we travel with their Travel Pass and we use cellular data, we can use as much data as we want, wherever we want. We just have to pay the daily $10 fee (on top of our usual bill). If we end up not using any cellular data that day, we don’t have to pay the $10. 

As for paying the fee if you receive a text, I believe the answer is yes. (Not sure about calls you don’t answer.) So I would leave your phone in airplane mode and keep cellular data turned off until you’re in a situation when you decide to use it and pay the fee.

Verizon also offers a monthly travel pass where you pay $100 (on top of your usual bill) to use cellular data for the whole month. That would be a worry-free option for longer trips or if you anticipate wanting to use cellular data for 10 days or more.

AT&T offers similar plans last time I checked. That’s who we used on our cruise a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JeriGail said:

Many cruise lines provide a "cellular at sea" signal.  Your carrier would need to have a roaming agreement with the cellular service provider on the ship.  Your home network determines the international roaming rates that you pay.  Cruise ships have to turn off their wireless networks when they're in port and as they're approaching a port, so you don't have to worry about connecting through the ship when in port.  However, I don't know if Viking uses one of these services.

I have basically the same question. We have TMobile so we have free data when at port in virtually all countries. I normally leave my phone in airplane mode and certainly when at sea but when at port I like to turn on cellular service as it is faster than the wifi on the ship sometimes. I did that on my last cruise but TMobile sent me a text saying that I am using the ship's cellular service and to watch out to avoid high costs. How do it know if and when I can turn on the cellular service? Do I have to be off the ship to make sure that I am using the cellular service for the country I am in and not the ship's service? I hope I have explained this properly.

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

I have basically the same question. We have TMobile so we have free data when at port in virtually all countries. I normally leave my phone in airplane mode and certainly when at sea but when at port I like to turn on cellular service as it is faster than the wifi on the ship sometimes. I did that on my last cruise but TMobile sent me a text saying that I am using the ship's cellular service and to watch out to avoid high costs. How do it know if and when I can turn on the cellular service? Do I have to be off the ship to make sure that I am using the cellular service for the country I am in and not the ship's service? I hope I have explained this properly.

Jim, we have used T-mobile from onboard Viking when in port.  I usually turn off the wifi so I only get cell service. I’ve never had the issue you bring up but will be careful in the future. 

19 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Jim, we have used T-mobile from onboard Viking when in port.  I usually turn off the wifi so I only get cell service. I’ve never had the issue you bring up but will be careful in the future. 

Clay, last time we got a text warning from TMobile to watch out and to avoid high cruise ship roaming charges. We never got any charges but I try to make sure that we are connecting to the countries cell system and not Vikings. Maybe nothing to worry about but just wondering if some geek out there knows how to make sure we don’t get charged high fees. I’m not sure how to tell if you are using the ships cellular or the local cellular service?

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

Clay, last time we got a text warning from TMobile to watch out and to avoid high cruise ship roaming charges. We never got any charges but I try to make sure that we are connecting to the countries cell system and not Vikings. Maybe nothing to worry about but just wondering if some geek out there knows how to make sure we don’t get charged high fees. I’m not sure how to tell if you are using the ships cellular or the local cellular service?

Not a geek but if on an iPhone, go to “settings” then “cellular” and it will show whose service you are using…at least that’s my recollection. Can’t confirm since I’m currently on T-Mobile service. 

When in doubt, you can always ask your cell phone provider to explain it to you - especially since it their service, their plans, their bill and they will be the ones you are complaining to when something goes wrong. This is one of those times when "but they told me on Cruise Critic," will not fix things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JM0115 said:

I did that on my last cruise but TMobile sent me a text saying that I am using the ship's cellular service and to watch out to avoid high costs. How do it know if and when I can turn on the cellular service? Do I have to be off the ship to make sure that I am using the cellular service for the country I am in and not the ship's service?

I did some more research on the ship's cellular service in port and found numerous references to regulations that require the ship's service to be available only in international waters.  As Clay mentioned, check the network settings to see which cellular network you're connected to.  I found FAQs from several cruise lines that offer this type of service - 

Service for voice calls, texting (SMS) and data is available onboard while the ship is at sea. 

Once the WMS network is switched on, while roaming on our cruise ships, you will see a distinct display on your handset that differs from your home carrier. Depending on the make and model of your phone, the handset will read Nor 18, cellular@sea or 901 18.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have searched for this answer, but can't find a recent one. What is the wifi policy and how good is coverage on the ship? Will my husband and I be able to text each other while on the ship, do they have the silly one device rule?