Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

If you DON'T have the package, I ASSUME they'll replenish whatever is used each day, up to what your room category calls for. Therefore, if your room category calls for liquor in the mini-fridge, I assume they'll replace what you use. A paper in your room explains the replenishment policy, but if you want to find out more now, I guess you could call Viking, search their website, or wait for someone to reply here.

Here's how it operated for us in a deluxe veranda room with no liquor package: Mini-fridge came stocked with a variety of non-alcoholic drinks (colas, tonic water, at least one diet Coke, bottled water, etc.), 4 small candy bars (Twix and Mars) and a bottle opener. A little slip of paper was in the room or fridge explaining how things would be replenished. If you wanted more (or liquor) you could order more via the slip of paper but there was a modest charge. There was a separate person (who I thought of as the "candy man" but of course he did other things around the ship each day) who came around each day to replenish. It's not the room steward or his/her assistant. Occasionally you may be in the room when the person comes, so you can personalize a little if you want. If no special instructions were received, the person simply replaced what was not there (within the allowed amount, I suppose). We seldom drank/ate more than one Ginger Ale/Coke and one or two Twix bars a day, so that's what the person replaced.

So... Does that mean that those of us in PV+ rooms will NOT get mini bar replenishment if we don't get the Silver Spirits package (NOT on the World Cruise)? If not, it's just wine/beer/soda during lunch and dinner (aside from welcome champagne)?

I don't see where it says that. I was in a PV in June and had a mini bar and welcome champaign provided. Just didn't use it much.

So... Does that mean that those of us in PV+ rooms will NOT get mini bar replenishment if we don't get the Silver Spirits package (NOT on the World Cruise)? If not, it's just wine/beer/soda during lunch and dinner (aside from welcome champagne)?

No. Alcoholic beverages in your mini-bar is still a perk in those categories.

The Silver Spirits package has changed and will now include alcoholic beverages in the mini-bar for DV & V categories. Whether that changes V mini-bars to daily replenishment is unclear--and again some clarification from Viking would be appreciated.

Has anyone ever run the numbers on how much alcohol per day one has to drink to justify an extra drink package, especially when it's included free at meals? 6 extra drinks a day? 9? 10?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At $20 pd/pp, it would mean 2 premium cocktails per day to break even. Soft drinks are $3.75, beer is $5, other alcoholic beverages start at $5 and go up.

We enjoyed having the package on our 3 week cruise BUT we had a few sea days....if it is a port each day it might not be worth it!! I drank more cocktails than usual because I was trying so many new ones!!!! and Baileys and Ice Cream for dessert was great!

Although the included wines were fine the upgrades were better especially at the Chef's Table.

Everyone have great remarks but I hope this one will help. When putting your souvenirs through scanners, let them know if your item is breakable. Unfortunately, we had a beautiful piece of painted glass art that fell off the scanning table because for some reason , the roller kept going. The security team felt heartbroken when it happened. Just an accident, the funny part was that a couple of days before, we had brought in five bottles of aquavit and the rollers stopped when the bottles came out of the scanners. So just be aware to protect your precious souvenirs.

At $20 pd/pp, it would mean 2 premium cocktails per day to break even. Soft drinks are $3.75, beer is $5, other alcoholic beverages start at $5 and go up.

We did purchase the silver spirit package and for us, it was worth it. On sea days, we tried different drinks during our four sea days. In fact I think my husband tried everything on the pool menu, lol. Didn't finish the drinks so we didn't feel guilty. Then we were at the cheif's table for four dinners, my husband loved the wine pairings so that was very enjoyable. Then of course after dinner, my husband had to have his Italian liquor with coffee, Italian liquor or brandy while we listened to Eve or Santos entertained us. For myself, I tried different martinis and I love club soda, so I was very happy. And they serve delicious rose wines which I enjoy. Remember, you don't need to finish a drink and feel guilty.

Everyone have great remarks but I hope this one will help. When putting your souvenirs through scanners, let them know if your item is breakable. Unfortunately, we had a beautiful piece of painted glass art that fell off the scanning table because for some reason , the roller kept going. The security team felt heartbroken when it happened. Just an accident, the funny part was that a couple of days before, we had brought in five bottles of aquavit and the rollers stopped when the bottles came out of the scanners. So just be aware to protect your precious souvenirs.

Good tip, and I agree - watch the precious things, including a DSLR camera that you've put in a screening box, especially if there are lots of people coming back at once and going through the x-ray. The security person looking at the x-rays seemed to be pretty good about watching when the box/items came out to make sure everything was fine at the other end. However, it helps to be proactive. If you can and do put things back in a backpack/camera bag/whatever - as I should have done one afternoon - that should help. I didn't have anything fall off or be marred or damaged, but it's good to get through the x-ray and retrieve your things off the belt as soon as you can. Those plastic trays can be used for loose things, but they're not as big or deep as ones used by airports.

How does re-boarding security work? I've never been on a cruise, so it's new to me.

I get that there is an x-ray and conveyor belt to put things through. Do you put your bag, coat, etc through that, or just anything "new" you're bringing on board?

And what about "human" scanning? Do you go through a metal detector or anything, or are they most concerned about items?

Each time you come back to the ship, you first hold out your key card so that the security person can scan you in. This lets them know you're on the current cruise and that you're back on board. Then you put the things you're carrying onto the belt or in a smallish tray (maybe around 15 inches by 10 inches??) and walk through the "human" scanner. I was never asked to take off my jacket, but often I was wearing more fleecy things than things with lots of metal, so I suppose it's possible they could ask you to take something off. I never had to take off shoes and do all the things you have to do at an airport, but I suppose that might be necessary on occasion.

Sometimes the ship will be docked at a secured port terminal with x-ray machines and scanners to walk through. In that case, you probably will only have to go through the port security. Of course, you'll still have to present your key card for scanning when you step onto the ship.

If the ship is at anchor and using tender boats to get you ashore, you may be asked to show your key card before you board the tender boat. You'll then show it again when you step onto the ship. You'll also go through the security process when you step onto the ship.

Each time you come back to the ship, you first hold out your key card so that the security person can scan you in. This lets them know you're on the current cruise and that you're back on board. Then you put the things you're carrying onto the belt or in a smallish tray (maybe around 15 inches by 10 inches??) and walk through the "human" scanner. I was never asked to take off my jacket, but often I was wearing more fleecy things than things with lots of metal, so I suppose it's possible they could ask you to take something off. I never had to take off shoes and do all the things you have to do at an airport, but I suppose that might be necessary on occasion.

Sometimes the ship will be docked at a secured port terminal with x-ray machines and scanners to walk through. In that case, you probably will only have to go through the port security. Of course, you'll still have to present your key card for scanning when you step onto the ship.

If the ship is at anchor and using tender boats to get you ashore, you may be asked to show your key card before you board the tender boat. You'll then show it again when you step onto the ship. You'll also go through the security process when you step onto the ship.

Your room key is an RFID card, so don't punch a hole in it so you can put it on a lanyard. The room key is also your ID card and your on-board account card. Keep it safe--and with you at all times. Oh, and make sure that you don't accidentally swap cards with your room-mate because you will not be allowed off the ship or back on if the face on the screen and yours don't match. (yes, this happened to us; fortunately, we were together). Part of the embarkation process is having your picture taken for just this purpose.

Any time you leave or re-board the ship, you will have to have present your card to be scanned. This is how Viking keeps track of us--how they know exactly who they are leaving behind when you fail to make "all aboard" time. Just hold your card up to one of the little black boxes on the podium; you will open your cabin the same way--just tap the card on the lock.

Everything you are carrying with you will be scanned--either through the xray machine or as you walk through the golden arches. The folks manning the scanners will tell you what to do and what you have to remove, if anything. If you are scanned on the dock, then you won't be scanned as you board the ship.

Beautiful thank you!! The human scanner... is it a metal detector? Or some other sort? I have a pacemaker and cannot go through the metal detectors, but will obviously carry the card from my doctor so I can go through security in some other manner.

Find out and write down the word for pacemaker in the languages of the countries you are visiting because you never know when you you will be confronted with a metal detector. You can always hand the guard your card and say or show them the word in their language.

Find out and write down the word for pacemaker in the languages of the countries you are visiting because you never know when you you will be confronted with a metal detector. You can always hand the guard your card and say or show them the word in their language.

I downloaded the Google Translate app and then downloaded a couple languages that I'd expect (Italian, Croatian) and have "favored" the few translations. The app has a little "full screen" icon, that makes the word large, to show someone. I'm certainly going to keep this one handy!!

I downloaded the Google Translate app and then downloaded a couple languages that I'd expect (Italian, Croatian) and have "favored" the few translations. The app has a little "full screen" icon, that makes the word large, to show someone. I'm certainly going to keep this one handy!!

I have translations apps but I'm such a fumble fingers that I would rather just write it on a slip of paper.:(

You might want to test the app to be sure it also works when you are not connected to wifi or cellular data (i.e., you are overseas and have your "roaming" turned off for data). I have a few apps that won't work if there is no internet signal.

You might want to test the app to be sure it also works when you are not connected to wifi or cellular data (i.e., you are overseas and have your "roaming" turned off for data). I have a few apps that won't work if there is no internet signal.

Good call! The app does have the ability to download languages to use offline, but I haven't tested that!

Just curious, is this considered to be an "All Inclusive" cruise ship, like Silversea or Crystal?

No, there are still things that are not included in your cruise fare --air fare, gratuities, optional cruises, spa services, laundry/dry cleaning, soft and hard beverages (except for soda, wine and beer at meal times which are included in the cruise fare)--and while Viking does include a lot in its basic cruise fare that other cruise lines do not, they do not market as "all inclusive."

Just curious, is this considered to be an "All Inclusive" cruise ship, like Silversea or Crystal?

No, there are still things that are not included in your cruise fare --air fare, gratuities, optional cruises, spa services, laundry/dry cleaning, soft and hard beverages (except for soda, wine and beer at meal times which are included in the cruise fare)--and while Viking does include a lot in its basic cruise fare that other cruise lines do not, they do not market as "all inclusive."

"All-inclusive" spans a very wide range, and no ship is 100% all-inclusive (spa services?). Crystal and Silversea, for instance, do not include shore excursions on non-expedition cruises.

The distinction more often made is between "luxury" and "super-premium." Crystal and Silversea are definitely considered luxury. I think what Viking is trying to do is one-up the super-premium segment (think Oceania) by adding complementary shore excursions in every port (Azamara only has one per cruise) -- but their prices are really in the luxury range, at least if you look at the more spacious PV and up cabins. Then again, Viking does offer lower-priced cabins that broaden their range compared to the 'all-suite' lines.

Not really sure where you were going with your question. Another possible answer is: it is entirely possible to complete a Viking cruise having enjoyed a full range of food, drink and shore excursions with an onboard bill of $0.

Depending on your room category it can include laundry and dry cleaning, alcohol and mixers in your room and a larger allocation of dining reservations at the specialty restaurants.

I've sailed Regenta and Crystal and am currently on my first Viking Ocean cruise, Midnight Sun, and I have found Viking to be equal to the luxury lines in food an service. They provide a great product.

Not really sure where you were going with your question. Another possible answer is: it is entirely possible to complete a Viking cruise having enjoyed a full range of food, drink and shore excursions with an onboard bill of $0.

Not sure if I am off-track with this response to your comment, but aren't gratuities added to your onboard bill at the end of the cruise? And the crew was so delightful, we were happy to pay them! Other than that, I think we spent less than $20 extra for our entire cruise, and had a wonderful trip.